or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mitt Romney: An embarrassment On The World Stage.

Mitt Romney: An embarrassment On The World Stage.

post #1 of 74

In all the time I've followed politics I've never seen a major politician make as many unbelievably stupid and naive comments as Mitt Romney has. For someone who one would expect to have reasonable diplomatic skills, he has made Sarah Palin look like Bill Clinton.

Here's just some of the things that have caused dismay and outrage in the last few days-

"Mitt Romney embarrassed the United States, and himself, by going to London and insulting the British in advance of the Olympics, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Thursday evening.

"It's not good for us as a country -- it's not good for him -- but as a country to have somebody that's nominated by one of the principal parties to go over and insult everybody," Reid said.

Romney, who takes great pride in heading the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, caused a media sensation Thursday when he said there were "disconcerting" signals that the British might not be prepared for the coming games.

Reid, in an interview with The Huffington Post, said he didn't understand how Romney could have made such a blunder, and had advice for the GOP hopeful the next time he visits an Olympic Games.

"I think I would have thought up this on my own and not [have to rely] on the staff," said Reid. "I would go there and I would say, 'They have done a remarkably good job. I know how they have been hurt with the economy. But they have done this. I have done it myself. It's so hard to do, and they have done a remarkably good job.' That's what they should have done. He would have been cheered and not have the mayor, before 60,000 people, belittle one of our major party nominees. And that's what the mayor did."

A Romney spokeswoman did not return a request for comment.

Romney also duffed his first foreign trip as the presumptive GOP nominee by revealing that he held a secret meeting with British intelligence about the games. His disastrous performance is being chronicled minute by minute on Twitter with a hashtag dedicated to him -- #RomneyShambles.

Conservative British Prime Minister David Cameron mocked Romney in his rebuttal. "We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course, it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere," he said, referring to Salt Lake City.

Romney has long been looking forward to the Olympics as a way to move past the storm of his unreleased tax returns and scrutiny around his time at Bain Capital. Reid said he doesn't think Romney has found dry land.

"You don't weather a storm by creating a couple along the way," Reid said."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/26/mitt-romney-olympics-gaffe-harry-reid_n_1707996.html

Watch some of the reaction here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDusofZIVhk

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 74

Oops.  The gaffes were many during this trip, and it just started.  Backsides.  Met with MI6.  Mr Leader. Churchill's bust.   No questions from American reporters (guess the pool reporter wasn't from Fox?).  And what about that dinner party with Barclays, was it?

One of the papers in the UK (or was it just one of the many interesting comments?) said Mitt makes Palin look good.  [And the Repubs complained that Obama apologized for the US... Mitt had to apologize to our closest ally!]

How is Fox dealing with this one?  Just watched what they did with "You didn't build that" to make Obama look bad.  Can only imagine how they're trying to recover this one for Mitt.

Edited by Bergermeister - 7/27/12 at 7:55am

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 74

Since when did seeing and expressing a concern become a gaffe?

I'm sorry but given the state of the Euro, the government accountability and coffers in many countries, and what is revealed when through round after round of debt reorganization is that there are lies upon lies upon lies. Europe IS a big mess. It is a gigantic car pile-up just getting ready to happen and anyone with a half a brain can see it coming. There is a broke continent with massive and recent immigration influxes, loads of promised benefits and a currency that is a mess. All this is taking place while half the continent never left recession and the other half briefly left it and then have committed funds or given up wealth to help the broke half continue their lies.

Europe going to get very radical and very ugly very, very soon.

Perhaps he should have just given the queen a bunch of his speeches on an iPod and promised that if he was elected, the planet would begin healing itself and the ocean levels would stop rising.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #4 of 74

Even the WSJ, of "were they worth it" pride, called Mitt's adventures a non-stop gaffe machine and questioned his likability.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Wire/2012/0727/Romney-s-disastrous-European-Vacation

Add Fox to the mix:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/27/charles-krauthammer-romney-london-olympics_n_1709599.html

And then there is Romney's book....  England is just a small island that doesn't produce anything people want.  Or something like that.  

post #5 of 74

What a hilarious thread.  It starts with Harry Reid quotes.  Well now THERE is a guy without an agenda and who never makes glaring gaffes.   Now, as for Romney, the only "gaffe" you can point to is the Mr. Leader comment.  But his opinion on the Olympics?  How in the hell is that a gaffe?  He ran the damn Olympics.  And the bust of Churchill?  He's referenced that before...he wants to return it to the Oval office if elected.  What is the problem?  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 74

And Obama bowing before despots isn't embarrassing?

But I digress. I think it's silly to make such a stink over this when both Obama and Romney would continue our disastrous foreign policy of policing the world - of bullying and intimidating other nations into doing what we want.

And Ron Paul gets booed for suggesting we use the "Golden Rule" in our approach to foreign policy. Sad.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #7 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

And Obama bowing before despots isn't embarrassing?

But I digress. I think it's silly to make such a stink over this when both Obama and Romney would continue our disastrous foreign policy of policing the world - of bullying and intimidating other nations into doing what we want.

And Ron Paul gets booed for suggesting we use the "Golden Rule" in our approach to foreign policy. Sad.

It's a made-up, nonsense thread.  I do take issue with your characterization of our foreign policy as "bullying" and "intimidating."  As for Paul, the "Golden Rule" simply doesn't work in reality.  As I've tried to explain, it's just not the way the world works.  It assumes that all other nations share our values.  They don't.  

post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It's a made-up, nonsense thread.  I do take issue with your characterization of our foreign policy as "bullying" and "intimidating."  As for Paul, the "Golden Rule" simply doesn't work in reality.  As I've tried to explain, it's just not the way the world works.  It assumes that all other nations share our values.  They don't.  

Freedom cannot be spread by force.

post #9 of 74

I think I may have run out of false outrage.

post #10 of 74
Quote:

I do take issue with your characterization of our foreign policy as "bullying" and "intimidating."

Well...sometimes the truth hurts.

Quote:

As for Paul, the "Golden Rule" simply doesn't work in reality.  As I've tried to explain, it's just not the way the world works.

Wow.

Quote:

It assumes that all other nations share our values.

No, it doesn't.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Well...sometimes the truth hurts.

Wow.

No, it doesn't.

1.  It doesn't hurt at all.  I just disagree that's what we do.  

2. I should clarify that I mean geopolitical relations only.  "Treat other nations as we would like to be treated" doesn't work...at least not in all cases.  It certainly doesn't work in the case of a rogue regime.  It doesn't work for  North Korea, Iran, Syra, Cuba or Venezuela.  

3.  I think it does.  It assumes that rogue regimes act for the same reasons we do.  In the case of say, Iran, this is not true.  Much of their political power is centralized with the mullahs, many of whom are religious zealots. They don't always act for economic or political reasons. 

post #12 of 74
Quote:

1.  It doesn't hurt at all.  I just disagree that's what we do.  

2. I should clarify that I mean geopolitical relations only.  "Treat other nations as we would like to be treated" doesn't work...at least not in all cases.  It certainly doesn't work in the case of a rogue regime.  It doesn't work for  North Korea, Iran, Syra, Cuba or Venezuela.  

3.  I think it does.  It assumes that rogue regimes act for the same reasons we do.  In the case of say, Iran, this is not true.  Much of their political power is centralized with the mullahs, many of whom are religious zealots. They don't always act for economic or political reasons. 

Regarding item 2, when have we ever treated those nations as we want to be treated? You claim it doesn't work in those cases, but to my knowledge we've never tried it.

post #13 of 74

" Mitt the twitt! "lol.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #14 of 74

Next thing you know Romney will bow to every foreign leader he meets.

post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Next thing you know Romney will bow to every foreign leader he meets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/behind-the-numbers/post/poll-romney-weaker-than-obama-on-foreign-policy/2012/04/11/gIQAPDHLBT_blog.html

Quote:

Americans trust Obama over Romney on international affairs by 53 to 36 percent, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll released this week. Foreign policy is one of Obama’s strongest advantages

The last thing we need these days is a warmongering fat head.

post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Probably true. Obama is a bad enough war monger.

post #17 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Probably true. Obama is a bad enough war monger.

As you can already tell from his demeanor with other countries Romney would be a lot more. We just don't need that right now. We're in enough trouble as it is. Having a hot head in there would only compound the problem.

post #18 of 74
Quote:

As you can already tell from his demeanor with other countries Romney would be a lot more.

I don't really pay attention to Mitt Romney so I can't tell anything from his demeanor.

Quote:

Having a hot head in there would only compound the problem.

Yes, a cold, detached (and arrogant) war monger is better.

lol.gif

post #19 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

As you can already tell from his demeanor with other countries Romney would be a lot more.

I don't really pay attention to Mitt Romney so I can't tell anything from his demeanor.

Quote:

Having a hot head in there would only compound the problem.

Yes, a cold, detached (and arrogant) war monger is better.

lol.gif

Well since you don't pay attention to Romney how would you know the difference? Also you'd better pay attention because if he gets to be president he will have an affect on your life just like Obama does now. If you don't care then you're responsible for letting him govern. Just like anyone who abstains from voting just because they don't like Obama. There really is a difference and it's that difference that ( just like in 2000 ) got us Bush and the Iraq war and everything else that came out of his time in office ecomonically and otherwise ( que SDW to try to deny anything bad happened ). 

post #20 of 74
Quote:

Well since you don't pay attention to Romney how would you know the difference?

I've seen and heard few things. Just not my primary focus. I have more important things.

Quote:

Also you'd better pay attention because if he gets to be president he will have an affect on your life just like Obama does now. 

Eh. Probably. Unfortunately. Not much I can do about it.

Quote:

If you don't care then you're responsible for letting him govern. Just like anyone who abstains from voting just because they don't like Obama.

You won't persuade me with your fallacious reasoning.

Quote:

There really is a difference and it's that difference that ( just like in 2000 )...

You say so. SDW2001 says so. I'm not convinced there's enough of a difference between Bush/Obama/Romney to matter much.

post #21 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Well since you don't pay attention to Romney how would you know the difference?

I've seen and heard few things. Just not my primary focus. I have more important things.

Quote:

Also you'd better pay attention because if he gets to be president he will have an affect on your life just like Obama does now. 

Quote:

If you don't care then you're responsible for letting him govern. Just like anyone who abstains from voting just because they don't like Obama.

Quote:

There really is a difference and it's that difference that ( just like in 2000 )...

You say so. SDW2001 says so. I'm not convinced there's enough of a difference between Bush/Obama/Romney to matter much.

Quote:

I see.

Quote:

Uh huh.

Quote:

If as you say the reasoning is fallacious then you really don't have much of a right to bitch about anything do you? I mean you've officially removed yourself from the equation so if the government breaks down your door ( extreme example but valid ) or gets us so embroiled in a new war or say just makes decisions about the economy that make things much worse ( and what is Romney's grand ideas about fixing things anyway? ) you weren't persuaded by fallacious reasoning and had more important things to think about.

Quote:

Well as you've said you don't pay much attention so how would you know? Sounds like a cop out to support your philosophy under any circumstances. So all of your bases are covered right?

post #22 of 74
Quote:

If as you say the reasoning is fallacious then you really don't have much of a right to bitch about anything do you?

Again, more fallacious reasoning. :rolleyes:

Quote:

I mean you've officially removed yourself from the equation so if the government breaks down your door ( extreme example but valid ) or gets us so embroiled in a new war or say just makes decisions about the economy that make things much worse ( and what is Romney's grand ideas about fixing things anyway? ) you weren't persuaded by fallacious reasoning and had more important things to think about.

Doesn't seem like such and extreme example...

Yes. I have no control over what Obama or Romney are going to do.

Quote:

Well as you've said you don't pay much attention so how would you know?

I've see enough.

Quote:

Sounds like a cop out to support your philosophy under any circumstances. So all of your bases are covered right?

Whatever makes you feel good.

post #23 of 74

Romney is an embarrassment period. He is either plain stupid with these things he is doing or just spiteful! Let us see how is does in Israel next.

post #24 of 74

Seems Mitt is all for war with Iran?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/29/mitt-romney-iran-strike-israel_n_1715574.html

Of course, the staffer who said this walked it back a bit a little later.  A common theme with this campaign.

post #25 of 74
Quote:

Regarding item 2, when have we ever treated those nations as we want to be treated? You claim it doesn't work in those cases, but to my knowledge we've never tried it.

See, this is where you libertarians have it backwards.  You think that we are responsible for the actions of rogue regimes, and that if we just treated them nicely they'd conduct themselves in a peaceful way.   There were those like you during the cold war.  They were referenced by Ronald Reagan in his 1964 speech "A Time for Choosing:  

"They call their policy 'accommodation.' And they say if we'll only avoid any direct confrontation with the enemy, he'll forget his evil ways and learn to love us. All who oppose them are indicted as warmongers."

Ironically, the Soviet Union was a far more rational actor than regimes like Iran and NK.  They shared more of our values than these two regimes do.  They simply had a completely different political and socioeconomic system.   

Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/behind-the-numbers/post/poll-romney-weaker-than-obama-on-foreign-policy/2012/04/11/gIQAPDHLBT_blog.html

Go ahead.  Support your claim that Romney is a "warmonger."  He said the U.S. would support Israel if they determined they were going to attack.  Shocker.  

Quote:

Well since you don't pay attention to Romney how would you know the difference? Also you'd better pay attention because if he gets to be president he will have an affect on your life just like Obama does now. If you don't care then you're responsible for letting him govern. Just like anyone who abstains from voting just because they don't like Obama. There really is a difference and it's that difference that ( just like in 2000 ) got us Bush and the Iraq war and everything else that came out of his time in office ecomonically and otherwise ( que SDW to try to deny anything bad happened ). 

How you can believe Romney would not be better than Obama is beyond me.  Tell me, what has Obama done that you support?  What results do you point to that support your decision to vote for him again?  What has he promised to do that you support?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Romney is an embarrassment period. He is either plain stupid with these things he is doing or just spiteful! Let us see how is does in Israel next.

More evidence that you cannot possibly be a real person.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/29/mitt-romney-iran-strike-israel_n_1715574.html

Of course, the staffer who said this walked it back a bit a little later.  A common theme with this campaign.

Of course it seems that way to you.  Of course. 

post #26 of 74

The press may not have spotted this yet, but if you watch closely Romney shaking Netanyahu's hand, it looks like Romney's trying to yank it off, I kid you not. Watch for yourself- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/mitt-romney/9436083/Mitt-Romney-meets-Israeli-Prime-Minister-Benjamin-Netanyahu.html

post #27 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

See, this is where you libertarians have it backwards.  You think that we are responsible for the actions of rogue regimes, and that if we just treated them nicely they'd conduct themselves in a peaceful way.   There were those like you during the cold war.  They were referenced by Ronald Reagan in his 1964 speech "A Time for Choosing:  

"They call their policy 'accommodation.' And they say if we'll only avoid any direct confrontation with the enemy, he'll forget his evil ways and learn to love us. All who oppose them are indicted as warmongers."

Ironically, the Soviet Union was a far more rational actor than regimes like Iran and NK.  They shared more of our values than these two regimes do.  They simply had a completely different political and socioeconomic system.   

Quote:

Go ahead.  Support your claim that Romney is a "warmonger."  He said the U.S. would support Israel if they determined they were going to attack.  Shocker.  

Quote:

Well since you don't pay attention to Romney how would you know the difference? Also you'd better pay attention because if he gets to be president he will have an affect on your life just like Obama does now. If you don't care then you're responsible for letting him govern. Just like anyone who abstains from voting just because they don't like Obama. There really is a difference and it's that difference that ( just like in 2000 ) got us Bush and the Iraq war and everything else that came out of his time in office economically and otherwise ( Que SDW to try to deny anything bad happened ). 

How you can believe Romney would not be better than Obama is beyond me.  Tell me, what has Obama done that you support?  What results do you point to that support your decision to vote for him again?  What has he promised to do that you support?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

More evidence that you cannot possibly be a real person.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Of course it seems that way to you.  Of course. 

Quote:

Go ahead. Support your claim that Romney is a "warmonger." He said the U.S. would support Israel if they determined they were going to attack. Shocker.

lol.gif Da, Ta, Da, Ta, Dum, Te Dum Te, Dumb let's see now

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/116567.html

http://presstv.com/usdetail/253389.html

http://www.infowars.com/romney-once-a-warmonger-always-a-warmonger/

Here's a good one! http://blog.ctnews.com/kantrowitz/2012/01/17/ron-paul-mitt-romney-is-a-warmonger/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/31/why-mitt-romney-sabre-rattling-syria-signifies-nothing

http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/253389.html

http://www.nolanchart.com/article9732-romney-foreign-policy-would-make-americans-unsafe.html

Also I'm not entirely sure throwing a lot of support behind Israel ( who is no angel pun intended ) is necessarily a good thing.

Edited by jimmac - 7/29/12 at 12:09pm
post #28 of 74

No, jimmac.  Answer the question.  And the above are ALL opinion pieces.  Finding people that agree with your looney partisanship proved nothing.  

Once again:

How you can believe Romney would not be better than Obama is beyond me.  Tell me, what has Obama done that you support?  What results do you point to that support your decision to vote for him again?  What has he promised to do that you support?  

post #29 of 74
Quote:

No, jimmac.  Answer the question.  And the above are ALL opinion pieces.  Finding people that agree with your looney partisanship proved nothing.  

Once again:

How you can believe Romney would not be better than Obama is beyond me.  Tell me, what has Obama done that you support?  What results do you point to that support your decision to vote for him again?  What has he promised to do that you support?  

Hey bucko I was just showing you it's not just my opinion that Romney is a warmonger. And he is. There's nothing looney about it ( unless you're Romney supporter ). It's the general consensus.

Quote:

How you can believe Romney would not be better than Obama is beyond me.

It's becoming obvious that lots of things are beyond you.

Quote:

And the above are ALL opinion pieces

Yes we know. You only allow opinion pieces and blogs that agree with you.lol.gif

Edited by jimmac - 7/29/12 at 3:49pm
post #30 of 74
Quote:

Hey bucko

"Hey bucko?" Really? lol.gif

Quote:

It's the general consensus.

You realize that doesn't make it true don't you?

post #31 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Hey bucko

"Hey bucko?" Really? lol.gif

Quote:

It's the general consensus.

Quote:

"Hey bucko?" Really?

Hey! lol.gif That's mild compared to how he's referred to me!

Quote:

It is what people think in general. The only way to see for sure is let him be president and by then it's too late. However many people having the same opinion ( the majority actually ) does tend to lend credence to the idea.

post #32 of 74
Quote:

Just thought is seemed dorky is all.

Quote:

It is what people think in general. The only way to see for sure is let him be president and by then it's too late. However many people having the same opinion ( the majority actually ) does tend to lend credence to the idea.

You didn't answer my question.

post #33 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course it doesn't imply a definite truth. That comes after he's in office and it's too late. One can only judge by statements and tendencies at this point ( while there's still time ). And just in case comparisons to our current president doesn't really say anything about Romney and what he would do.

We're talking about jumping from the frying pan into the fire here. And hey we're all a little dorky on here.lol.gif

post #34 of 74
Quote:

Of course it doesn't imply a definite truth.

So glad you're finally starting to get that.

Quote:

That comes after he's in office and it's too late. One can only judge by statements and tendencies at this point ( while there's still time ).

True. And we've seen, from the current president, how one can say one thing to get elected and do very different things once in office.

Quote:

We're talking about jumping from the frying pan into the fire here.

Maybe. Maybe not.

post #35 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Of course it doesn't imply a definite truth.

Quote:

That comes after he's in office and it's too late. One can only judge by statements and tendencies at this point ( while there's still time ).

True. And we've seen, from the current president, how one can say one thing to get elected and do very different things once in office.

Quote:

We're talking about jumping from the frying pan into the fire here.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote:

I got that a long time ago.

Quote:

If you look at history that's almost the definition of a modern politician.

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not.

Given Romney's demeanor I'd say most likely.

post #36 of 74
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

post #37 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

And yours as well. ( wink if I could )

post #38 of 74
Quote:

And yours as well.

My pleasure.

post #39 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

And yours as well.

My pleasure.

lol.gif I already knew that!

post #40 of 74

Romney is a ass kisser!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mitt Romney: An embarrassment On The World Stage.