or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung has responded by arguing that it had phones and prototypes with a prominent display prior to the iPhone, and dismissed Apple's iPhone design as having nothing more an a series of features that were in "widespread use" prior to its launch.

This explains why, when the iPhone first came out, so many people said that it was just a copy of the… of the… ummm… Come to think of it, No one suggested that the iPhone was like anything that had come before..
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #42 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


Every member of Samsung's legal team went to BB to buy iPads?

That was my first thought!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #43 of 129
For those suggesting that no one would confuse the two products, that is exactly what Samsung's own documents reveal. It happened so many times, Best Buy had to report it to Samsung, and Samsung had to write it down. And it was written down so many times that they couldn't shred all of the documents containing the information. Now it is a matter of public record. To deny it happened is to accuse Samsung of falsifying evidence. They would do that.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #44 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


C'mon I can understand mistaking it in the store but when one is handed a box that says Samsung on it instead of Apple should tip them that they bought the wrong device.

 

I think some consumers mistaken "iPad" for "Tablet".

I once walked into a Bestbuy when the the new iPhones came out.  I had a few minutes to burn so I decided to look at them, and the Android phones that were next to it.  A low-20's sales rep came up to me to ask if I wanted to buy a phone.  I was (still) happy with my iPhone4 but I decided to play clueless and pretended to not know anything.  The sales-rep completely focused me on the Android phones and completely ignored Apple's offerings.  When I asked "What about that Apple iPhone?" he immediately said I would not like that, as Android phones let you do more things on it.  To which I asked "So you used these Apple phones too right?" and he admitted that he is an Android user.

After which, I took my iPhone out and told him I was quite happy with mine and left it as that.  He proved my theory.

So it would not surprise at the least if iHating Bestbuy employees were pushing Android tablets to clueless consumers.  It's not like they hate Apple right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s1V7-TSh0

post #45 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Now watch... trollers and iHaters had said that no one would be stupid-enough to mistaken a Samsung for an iPad.  Well, here you go.  How are you going to spin this one from your basement kids???
 

 Trolls are beasts that are smarter than they look (sound). This news could easily spin off into the Apple trolls classic argument that people that buy Apple products are generally stupid and/or aren't tech-savvy. People trying to buy Apple products but ending up buying whatever is given to them thinking they are Apple products is pretty convincing evidence for a troll.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #46 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So it would not surprise at the least if iHating Bestbuy employees were pushing Android tablets to clueless consumers.  It's not like they hate Apple right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s1V7-TSh0
To be fair, they are not necessarily "ihating". Samsung as well as other manufactures offer huge incentives to the minimum wage earners to sell their products. Best buy like radio shack and all the others offer contests and promotions to encourge their employees to move whatever they are being incentivized to push.

And to be fair, the iPhone is expensive. If I worked at one of these big box stores, I'd probably be using Android as well.
post #47 of 129
Samsung should demand that Apple produce every single Best Buy customer who allegedly thought they were buying an iPad. Otherwise it's all hearsay.

"Did you intend to buy an IPad?"
"Yes, but I was told by the BB employee that the Samsung was just like an iPad, only cheaper."

Case closed.

When I bought my partner her Samsung tablet, the BB clerk told me they were the same. I left and bought it online.
post #48 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Just to clear this up for all the idiots out there, I think he is being sarcastic.

 

Nice to see you have to explain when the Mod decides to act like a 5 year old.

post #49 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Of course AI wouldn't post this part though

http://gizmodo.com/5929630/proof-that-the-iphone-4-could-have-perfectly-been-a-sony-product-back-in-the-80s

That’s a hilarious story—especially the side-by-side comparison, which compares Apple to Apple.

 

It shows NO Sony product that Apple copied (because Apple didn’t).

 

It shows an APPLE design that Apple ultimately used... one which Apple felt was worthy of Sony. Just like many companies admittedly work to create designs worthy of Apple, yet don’t get sued. Apple doesn’t sue for "Apple-esque" but for blatant lazy theft. There’s nothing lazy about Apple’s iPhone 4 design.

 

Was Apple’s design a copy of Sony? I think we’d need to see the photo of that Sony phone that doesn’t exist :) Or another Sony product that looked just like an iPhone.

 

Some Android fans will lap up any story without the requirement for logic or facts.

post #50 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

That was my first thought!

 

I thought they were AIers..

post #51 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think some consumers mistaken "iPad" for "Tablet".


I once walked into a Bestbuy when the the new iPhones came out.  I had a few minutes to burn so I decided to look at them, and the Android phones that were next to it.  A low-20's sales rep came up to me to ask if I wanted to buy a phone.  I was (still) happy with my iPhone4 but I decided to play clueless and pretended to not know anything.  The sales-rep completely focused me on the Android phones and completely ignored Apple's offerings.  When I asked "What about that Apple iPhone?" he immediately said I would not like that, as Android phones let you do more things on it.  To which I asked "So you used these Apple phones too right?" and he admitted that he is an Android user.


After which, I took my iPhone out and told him I was quite happy with mine and left it as that.  He proved my theory.


So it would not surprise at the least if iHating Bestbuy employees were pushing Android tablets to clueless consumers.  It's not like they hate Apple right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s1V7-TSh0

That's not proof that they hate Apple. It's not even a bb employee doing plus I can show videos of PS3s, Xbox 360s and other CE being destroyed. As for what device gets pushed by a salesperson I'm sure there are a few determining factors of which hatred isn't one, like the salesperson's personal taste and the current overstock of other devices to name a few.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 129

actually, the boxes looked just like iPad boxes, too. the samsung part was on the back, quite small. look up stories from the time of release. 

post #53 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

This reminds me of the footage of someone showing random people in a mall the Retina iPhone next to the non-Retina iPhone. Over half could not see the difference.

Samsung clearly ripped off Apple, but never doubt the sheer stupidity of people.

Let's see.

Samsung's lawyers can't tell the difference.
Several judges around the world say it's too close a copy.
And numerous people at Best Buy are confused by the appearance.

Sure - must be stupid people. No one could ever confuse the products. /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Now watch... trollers and iHaters had said that no one would be stupid-enough to mistaken a Samsung for an iPad.  Well, here you go.  How are you going to spin this one from your basement kids???


The "iPad" name I think is becoming more synonymous with a group (like "Tablets") than a specific brand.  This is what I think the Android players are hoping for too but don't have the balls to come right out and admit it.  A person will just as likely believe from a pimple-faced fandroid rep that the Samsung tablet is "Just like an iPad, only better", only to get it home, try it out for a day and realize it's not the same thing.


I remember a conversation I had with someone at a table at a bar when he said "Check out my new iPod" and it was some no-name, music player.  I told him "That's not an iPod, it's a music player".  He looks at me curiously and asked me "What's the difference?".


That's why Apple is taking out the big guns.  Shame on Samsung, shame on fandroids for defending theft of IP.  Buzz off.

Exactly. It's really amazing how many people don't get it (although a lot of them appear to be Samsung shills). Apple is defending their product differentiation - which is everything to them. And it has nothing to do with all the little legal battles. If all the competition quits making slavish copies, Apple will be happy, regardless of the outcome of the legal cases. Samsung's Galaxy SIII suggests that this might be what's happening - Samsung finally stopped trying to duplicate the iPhone exactly.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #54 of 129

Lets just call these people "Statistically Insignificant"....

post #55 of 129

I'll post these again, as they're relevant (click for bigger because Huddler decided to become a whore).

 

1000

 

1000

1000

 

No one could possibly confuse a Samsung tablet for an iPad.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #56 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Dont think buying an iPad will help those people

 

 

I guess this is Apple's version of insanity defense?

post #57 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Samsung should demand that Apple produce every single Best Buy customer who allegedly thought they were buying an iPad. Otherwise it's all hearsay.

While it's hearsay, it is probably admissible hearsay.

It's a Samsung document submitted by Samsung and which Samsung executives believed enough to use it in the course of business. That would probably allow the document to fall under one of the hearsay exemptions.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #58 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I haven't heard anyone use iPad as a generic term. Such as, "Have you seen this? I'll iPad it to you...".

I hear it used a generic noun all the time, I just haven't heard it used as verb. Just like iPod now refers to any PMP (but Apple has adequately defended their branding so it's still protected) I've never anyone say they are going to iPod something.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #59 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


And Apple even hired Sony to make products for them.

 

No, they hired a designer who had done work for Sony. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #60 of 129
Perhaps someone should sleep with the wives of Samsung executives. If any one of them complains, just say no one has patented adultery. Then show them pictures of Bonobos having orgies as prior art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll post these again, as they're relevant (click for bigger because Huddler decided to become a whore).

No one could possibly confuse a Samsung tablet for an iPad.

Edited by uguysrnuts - 7/27/12 at 3:36pm
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #61 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I thought they were AIers..

fAIl
post #62 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Samsung's Galaxy SIII suggests that this might be what's happening - Samsung finally stopped trying to duplicate the iPhone exactly.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #63 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

How many grandmas buy ipads for grandchildren? I say no more than double digit.

 

I would guess most ipads are bought by users themselves and not as gifts.

I know at least one did.  A friends grandmother bought her granddaughter an iPad so she could FaceTime with her.

post #64 of 129

At first these lawsuits were kinda dull but with every wacky ruling or new piece of evidence they get more and more entertaining.

post #65 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO THEY DIDN'T. NO ONE WOULD CONFUSE A SAMSUNG TABLET FOR AN IPAD. THIS IS A CROCK. APPLE IS SUING BECAUSE THEY WANT A MONOPOLY. INNOVATE, DON'T LITIGATE, APPLE.
Dude. Alprazolam.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #66 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I haven't heard anyone use iPad as a generic term. Such as, "Have you seen this? I'll iPad it to you...".
If anyone says they will iPad me something I think I would have to hurt them. But I have some people use tablet and iPad interchangeably.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #67 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

 Trolls are beasts that are smarter than they look (sound). This news could easily spin off into the Apple trolls classic argument that people that buy Apple products are generally stupid and/or aren't tech-savvy. People trying to buy Apple products but ending up buying whatever is given to them thinking they are Apple products is pretty convincing evidence for a troll.

Yeah... Trolls really are not.

The argument you suppose, would be pretty lame. It's already been proved that Apple users are more educated, affluent, etc.

Besides; the "...they are stupid and not tech savvy" and "..."they use a baby computer" are all arguments by clueless PC users from the 1990s. Today they've changed it to, "Mac users are "smug", "intellectual" "superior", etc.

Mac haters just can't keep their whine straight.

post #68 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post
Every member of Samsung's legal team went to BB to buy iPads?

 

Well...if they had a lick of sense, then yes!  

 

(You didn't think they'd know how to buy them on-line, didja???)

post #69 of 129

This is so very funny and sad too. So, now I know who bought a bunch of Apple's products: a bunch of illiterates.

 

SNL should write a sketch about this. It's either the sales at Best Buy were illiterate or the buyers were illiterate and perhaps deaf too. The easy solution is to show the logo, at the front and at the back of the tab, see the words "Samsung" there... However, since perhaps both salespersons are illiterate, and the buyers are also illiterate and perhaps deaf too, the salespersons would explain that the tablet in their buyers' hand was made by Samsung. But, since the buyers were deaf, this too didn't help the situation. The deaf and illiterate buyers bought Samsung's tab anyhow. Since this is such a big news, this scenario must have been repeated countless of times at Best Buy

 

I am scared of the US as a country. Guns are everywhere, with the last statistics shows there was 90 guns for every 100 people. The money spent on guns and ammunitions should be better spent to teach Americans how to read, and perhaps, teach Americans about the world geography.

post #70 of 129

Unfortunately, some of these "educated and affluent"  Apple users you are so proud of apparently are "illiterates" and can not read the logo and the word "Samsung" plastered at the bottom  and at the back of the Galaxy tab, It's kinda negating your point ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

It's already been proved that Apple users are more educated, affluent, etc.

post #71 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

This is so very funny and sad too. So, now I know who bought a bunch of Apple's products: a bunch of illiterates.

SNL should write a sketch about this. It's either the sales at Best Buy were illiterate or the buyers were illiterate and perhaps deaf too. The easy solution is to show the logo, at the front and at the back of the tab, see the words "Samsung" there... However, since perhaps both salespersons are illiterate, and the buyers are also illiterate and perhaps deaf too, the salespersons would explain that the tablet in their buyers' hand was made by Samsung. But, since the buyers were deaf, this too didn't help the situation. The deaf and illiterate buyers bought Samsung's tab anyhow. Since this is such a big news, this scenario must have been repeated countless of times at Best Buy

I am scared of the US as a country. Guns are everywhere, with the last statistics shows there was 90 guns for every 100 people. The money spent on guns and ammunitions should be better spent to teach Americans how to read, and perhaps, teach Americans about the world geography.

Wow, insulting Apple users and an entire country.

Congratulations. You are the first person ever on my block list.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #72 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


It's no secret Jobs has always been a fan of Sony. And Apple even hired Sony to make products for them. Inspired by is one thing, but copying is another. Before you start using Apple's own designs against them, show me the genesis of the inspiration ... Is there indeed an actual Sony product that looks like the iPhone 4? I don't recall a Sony product ever looking like that, much less a phone.

 

Inspiration vs "slavish copying"...

 

Inspiration meaning, "inspired by an aesthetic". The iPhone 4 "could have been a Sony product from the 80s"…  yes, their design "influence" is clearly there, almost like an homage… is it a "copy" of a past or existing product? Why, no…. huh.

 

Is the iPhone 4 trying really hard to look JUST LIKE an existing and/or current Sony product it is ALSO competing directly with? Why, no….. huh.

 

So surely the distinction is clear enough then. Paying homage to a design aesthetic with visible influences in your work VS. shipping a product designed to look exactly like the competition's currently shipping product.

 

The first instance = respect. The second = flattery laced theft...

post #73 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO THEY DIDN'T. NO ONE WOULD CONFUSE A SAMSUNG TABLET FOR AN IPAD. THIS IS A CROCK. APPLE IS SUING BECAUSE THEY WANT A MONOPOLY. INNOVATE, DON'T LITIGATE, APPLE.


Beyond the stupid people who bought them, Best Buy has many idiots selling things. I sometimes shop there for random electronics items simply because it's relatively close. Every time I hear someone being ripped off in the background. If they're such a big retailer for Apple, they should be able to give correct sales advice. The worst remains when they tried to sell a couple people a replacement hard drive because their computer had virus issues. If they were starting from scratch, that's a fresh operating system installation either way.

 

I feel like I'm being trolled by this article too. How many just didn't like the Samsung version. They may have bought it because it cost less, then later decided that the ipad was only a bit more.

post #74 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Just to clear this up for all the idiots out there, I think he is being sarcastic.

The first one to call people names on an open forum is generally the one.
Netiquette.
post #75 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnaulty1 View Post

actually, the boxes looked just like iPad boxes, too. the samsung part was on the back, quite small. look up stories from the time of release. 

Please. Just. Stop. With. The. Lies. Already!

 

FACT: With the exception of both being boxes, ANYONE who could/would declare that the the boxes containing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9/10.1 looks "just like iPad boxes" is either woefully uninformed or just blatantly lying.

 

700

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #76 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

No, they hired a designer who had done work for Sony. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The powerbook 100 benefited from design assistance from Sony.  It was a ground breaking laptop at the time and all future laptops owe something to the powerbook 100.

 

 

From wikipedia

 

 

Quote:
The PowerBook 140 and 170 were the original PowerBook designs, while the PowerBook 100 was the result of Apple having sent the schematics of the Mac Portable to Sony, who miniaturized the components. Hence the PowerBook 100's design does not match those of the rest of the series, as it was actually designed after the 140 & 170 and further benefited from improvements learned during their development. The PowerBook 100, however, did not sell well until Apple dropped the price substantially.

compare powerbook 140 to powerbook 100

400400

 

I actually used a powerbook 100 for work.  Compared to the Mac Portable, which probably permanently injured my shoulder, it was a revelatory device to use, an experience not repeated until I got my first iphone.  

 

Jobs himself always referred to the design smarts of Sony.  But as for a design mockup of a phone that was Sony like: that was a homage product and not actually based on a released product. 


Edited by Entropys - 7/27/12 at 6:31pm
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
post #77 of 129

I was going to say who could be dumb enough to buy a samsung tablet thinking its an iPad, but after 2 weeks in Disney seeing how people can be, anything can happen really.

post #78 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

 

Engadget is worse, I think.

Try CNET... its a flamewar on just about every post.
Soon as google is busted for doing something wrong, the anti-apple iSheep talk comes out. 

post #79 of 129

The other day I had to iPad my dad:

 

1000

"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #80 of 129
Oh Jeez that misleading composite again?

What about the Samsung SGH-F700 model conveniently "ignored" on that cherry-picked composite image? Presented at Cebit 2006, "patent" design filed in december 2006... These design claims are really becoming pathetic, and remain dishonest.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SGH-F700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads