or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads - Page 3

post #81 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I've said it before, people are stupid. This proves it. 

 

 

Perhaps, but I saw at least two people in a Best Buy refer to a Samsung phone as an iPhone. 

post #82 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Samsung should demand that Apple produce every single Best Buy customer who allegedly thought they were buying an iPad. Otherwise it's all hearsay.
"Did you intend to buy an IPad?"
"Yes, but I was told by the BB employee that the Samsung was just like an iPad, only cheaper."
Case closed.
When I bought my partner her Samsung tablet, the BB clerk told me they were the same. I left and bought it online.

 

 

It is not Hearsay if a Best Buy official testifies as to its return records. When you return something at Best Buy, Best Buy asks the customer why he or she is returning it. 

post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Oh Jeez that misleading composite again?
What about the Samsung SGH-F700 model conveniently "ignored" on that cherry-picked composite image? Presented at Cebit 2006, "patent" design filed in december 2006... These design claims are really becoming pathetic, and remain dishonest.

Bollocks!

http://androidcommunity.com/who-was-really-first-apple-vs-samsung-story-truly-debunked-20110420/
post #84 of 129

I am not sure if this relates to the discussion but I know an AT&T store rep who is an apple hater strictly because she does not make a large commission on IPhone sales so she tells her customers to buy Samsung products and touts their similar look and features to the iphone. Obviously that makes her customer service skills questionable. But it does make you wonder how many people are actually being told that the samsung phones and/or tabs are the same as or at the very least equal in features to an Iphone

post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well...if they had a lick of sense, then yes!  

(You didn't think they'd know how to buy them on-line, didja???)
Actually they did it for the Reward Zone points, enough points and they can score a free iTunes card!

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #86 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

This is so very funny and sad too. So, now I know who bought a bunch of Apple's products: a bunch of illiterates.

I am scared of the US as a country. Guns are everywhere, with the last statistics shows there was 90 guns for every 100 people. The money spent on guns and ammunitions should be better spent to teach Americans how to read, and perhaps, teach Americans about the world geography.
Don't be scared, we really do believe in gun control. Of course by "gun control", I mean hitting what you were aiming for.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #87 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I was going to say who could be dumb enough to buy a samsung tablet thinking its an iPad, but after 2 weeks in Disney seeing how people can be, anything can happen really.
It is a small world after all.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #88 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The other day I had to iPad my dad:

Was that 3G or wifi?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #89 of 129

People who believe that Samsung did not set out to deceive customers and were often successful in that deception are people I find truly scary. When something is THIS obvious I feel that any disagreements suggest we are just not part of the same species anymore, that that brain is just not functioning the way a brain is meant to. Paid shills I can understand — but not these Android nuts.

 

And enough with this crazy idea that anyone who was deceived is an idiot. iPads were and are ideal presents for children and teenagers because they are light and portable, so OF COURSE they were bought by non-tech savvy grandparents and soccer moms at the Mall store who were capable of being swayed by a salesperson who told them, "no this is an iPad, it is just one made by Samsung. And trust me it is soo much better!" FFS this is as obvious as anything can be.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #90 of 129
I'll be returning my Volkswagen next week. I thought it was a Mercedes, until I saw the logo ON THE STEERING WHEEL...
post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I've said it before, people are stupid. This proves it. 

 I have people come up to me at product launches, complaining about how they used the product years ago and it was crap. I try to stress that given that it is a product launch, they must be mistaking it with another product. They still insist that they are right as they storm off.

 

I wonder how many of the returnees are still trying to figure out how to exit the shop.

post #92 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Of course AI wouldn't post this part though

http://gizmodo.com/5929630/proof-that-the-iphone-4-could-have-perfectly-been-a-sony-product-back-in-the-80s

Well, back in the days, like you say it, neither the first iPhone in aluminium nor the second (3G) and third (3GS) one looked anything like that Sony device.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

Reply
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Please. Just. Stop. With. The. Lies. Already!

FACT: With the exception of both being boxes, ANYONE who could/would declare that the the boxes containing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9/10.1 looks "just like iPad boxes" is either woefully uninformed or just blatantly lying.


Or maybe it's the Apple hating trolls who are lying.

That Samsung box in the picture is not the one they used when they launched the Tab.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #94 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

How many grandmas buy ipads for grandchildren? I say no more than double digit.

 

I would guess most ipads are bought by users themselves and not as gifts.

Yea same as those who bought the Kindle Fire. I wonder how many were returned.

post #95 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO THEY DIDN'T. NO ONE WOULD CONFUSE A SAMSUNG TABLET FOR AN IPAD. THIS IS A CROCK. APPLE IS SUING BECAUSE THEY WANT A MONOPOLY. INNOVATE, DON'T LITIGATE, APPLE.

They would if Best Buy told them too.

I'm sure Best Buy sales practices are getting THEIR butts in a sling with Apple as well. They don't have mo ey to stick up for Samsung!
post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Samsung should demand that Apple produce every single Best Buy customer who allegedly thought they were buying an iPad. Otherwise it's all hearsay.
"Did you intend to buy an IPad?"
"Yes, but I was told by the BB employee that the Samsung was just like an iPad, only cheaper."
Case closed.
When I bought my partner her Samsung tablet, the BB clerk told me they were the same. I left and bought it online.

 

Something this stupid deserves a comment.

 

Did you not read the article? These are Samsung's own internal documents that talk about Best Buy returns. It's not Apple "making stuff up" as you seem to imply.

 

Why should Apple produce the customers? They had nothing to do with it as it's something between Best Buy, the customer and Samsung. Apple just happend to find out about it during evidence discovery.

post #97 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The other day I had to iPad my dad:


That's as close to Retina as you'll ever get.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #98 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Yeah.  Now he even has an "entourage" to explain his pithy posts.  :-/   

 

Ego.  I bet he wears a cape at home and has a long suffering (and mostly silent) wife or partner.  

You may have mis-spelled "pithy."

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #99 of 129

I'd love it of one of the outcomes of this case is that Samsung be required to take back any products purchased by customers who were misled into believing they were buying an Apple product. Watch the flood gates open...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #100 of 129
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
Watch the flood gates open...

 

And be swept under the rug. You'll have to make them take back and then publicly report weekly on the number taken back.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #101 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And be swept under the rug. You'll have to make them take back and then publicly report weekly on the number taken back.

 

...and advertise it in UK newspapers.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Now watch... trollers and iHaters had said that no one would be stupid-enough to mistaken a Samsung for an iPad.  Well, here you go.  How are you going to spin this one from your basement kids???
 

 

Samsung's lawyers can't tell the difference.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO THEY DIDN'T. NO ONE WOULD CONFUSE A SAMSUNG TABLET FOR AN IPAD. THIS IS A CROCK. APPLE IS SUING BECAUSE THEY WANT A MONOPOLY. INNOVATE, DON'T LITIGATE, APPLE.

 

Shhh. Not so loud. Tallest might hear you.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Unfortunately, some of these "educated and affluent"  Apple users you are so proud of apparently are "illiterates" and can not read the logo and the word "Samsung" plastered at the bottom  and at the back of the Galaxy tab, It's kinda negating your point ain't it?

 

But, the people who bought Samsung tablets thinking they were iPads aren't Apple users--they are technically Samsung customers. Thus, your attempt to use this as an example of how "illiterate" Apple users are have failed, miserably. Turn in your troll permit to Tallest Skill and await further instructions.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #104 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

But, the people who bought Samsung tablets thinking they were iPads aren't Apple users--they are technically Samsung customers. Thus, your attempt to use this as an example of how "illiterate" Apple users are have failed, miserably. Turn in your troll permit to Tallest Skill and await further instructions.

 They are only samsung owners by virtue of error. they want to be Apple owners, and indeed I guess that some of them fulfill that desire by going on to become apple owners Unfortunately the report doesn't mention how many customers actually make the exchange rather than just take the refund.

 

Your (counter) argument would only be valid if you could prove that owners who thought that they were buying a Samsung accidentally ended up with an ipad.

post #105 of 129

Case 1:

Customer: I want to buy an Apple Ipad.

Sales: This is an Apple Ipad [With Samsung logo upfront] - Apparently the Sales is illiterate.

Customer: I'll buy one {Apparently can't read the word Samsung upfront, so he/she is illiterate as well]

Sales: OK, our return policy is to return merchandise within 30days after purchase if you're not satisfied..

 

Case 2:

Customer: I want to buy an Apple Ipad.

Sales: This is NOT an Apple Ipad, but It's Samsung Galaxy tab. It's as good as Ipad because its internal hardware is the same, but Apple will charge you much more for this because the material is made of a hand-picked First Rate Chinese materials,  and you are being charged an Apple tax too for their superb service policy. And, in addition you will have the best apps ecosystem in the world, with over 200,000 Ipad's simpleton crapwares. BTW, you will probably install fifty or so of this crapwares on your Ipad at the most. 

Customer: I'll buy one [apparently the customer is both illiterate and deaf].

 

Case 3:

And so forth...

 

The point is these two types of customers are Apple customers, illiterate [and deaf] but still Apple customers because they asked for Apple's Ipad but had no clues of what they're getting. And, after watching the new "genius" advertisements by Apple, and Apple product buyers being depicted as far from being geniuses, even borderline....[fill in the blank], It actually confirms the scenarios 1 and 2 above are very possible. Apple admits this fact about its buyers; otherwise, it won't create that commercial for the world to see.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

But, the people who bought Samsung tablets thinking they were iPads aren't Apple users--they are technically Samsung customers. Thus, your attempt to use this as an example of how "illiterate" Apple users are have failed, miserably. Turn in your troll permit to Tallest Skill and await further instructions.


Edited by mcrs - 7/29/12 at 12:20am
post #106 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Samsung's lawyers can't tell the difference.

 

 

 

Shhh. Not so loud. Tallest might hear you.

It might well be the case that the owners didn't even know that tablets are made by other companies, assuming  that tablet pc and ipads are the same thing.  This would go someway to explaining why they didn't question the large Samsung logo at the time of purchase. In such a case the Samsung would have to be significantly different in design to enable the store customer to think "hang on, that's nothing like the thingy I wanted to buy", essentualy it would have to look like something other than a  tablet

post #107 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Case 1:

Customer: I want to buy an Apple Ipad.

Sales: This is an Apple Ipad [With Samsung logo upfront] - Apparently the Sales is illiterate.

Customer: I'll buy one {Apparently can't read the word Samsung upfront, so he/she is illiterate as well]

Sales: OK, our return policy is to return merchandise within 30days after purchase if you're not satisfied..

 

Case 2:

Customer: I want to buy an Apple Ipad.

Sales: This is NOT an Apple Ipad, but It's Samsung Galaxy tab. It's as good as Ipad because its internal hardware is the same, but Apple will charge you much more for this because the material is made of a hand-picked First Rate Chinese materials,  and you are being charged an Apple tax too for their superb service policy. And, in addition you will have the best apps ecosystem in the world, with over 200,000 Ipad's simpleton crapwares. BTW, you will probably install fifty or so of this crapwares on your Ipad at the most. 

Customer: I'll buy one [apparently the customer is both illiterate and deaf].

 

Case 3:

And so forth...

 

The point is these two types of customers are Apple customers, illiterate [and deaf] but still Apple customers because they asked for Apple's Ipad but had no clues of what they're getting. And, after watching the new "genius" advertisements by Apple, and Apple product buyers being depicted as far from being geniuses, even borderline....[fill in the blank], It actually confirms the scenarios 1 and 2 above are very possible. Apple admits this fact about its buyers; otherwise, it won't create that commercial for the world to see.

 

 

 

 

You don't need to be a genius to buy a subsidised top of the range phone. Most people are dumb. Given that Samsung are out selling apple in the phone arena it is likely that they have even more of the dumb owners than apple (in absolute terms, relative terms are probably the same for both).

post #108 of 129
I just saw an ad for the Nexus 7, it looked just like a mini iPad in the commercial. And for a split second I thought Apple had announced something that I had missed.
post #109 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Case 1:

Customer: I want to buy an Apple Ipad.

Sales: This is an Apple Ipad [With Samsung logo upfront] - Apparently the Sales is illiterate.

Customer: I'll buy one {Apparently can't read the word Samsung upfront, so he/she is illiterate as well]

Sales: OK, our return policy is to return merchandise within 30days after purchase if you're not satisfied..

 

Case 2:

Customer: I want to buy an Apple Ipad.

Sales: This is NOT an Apple Ipad, but It's Samsung Galaxy tab. It's as good as Ipad because its internal hardware is the same, but Apple will charge you much more for this because the material is made of a hand-picked First Rate Chinese materials,  and you are being charged an Apple tax too for their superb service policy. And, in addition you will have the best apps ecosystem in the world, with over 200,000 Ipad's simpleton crapwares. BTW, you will probably install fifty or so of this crapwares on your Ipad at the most. 

Customer: I'll buy one [apparently the customer is both illiterate and deaf].

 

Case 3:

And so forth...

 

The point is these two types of customers are Apple customers, illiterate [and deaf] but still Apple customers because they asked for Apple's Ipad but had no clues of what they're getting. And, after watching the new "genius" advertisements by Apple, and Apple product buyers being depicted as far from being geniuses, even borderline....[fill in the blank], It actually confirms the scenarios 1 and 2 above are very possible. Apple admits this fact about its buyers; otherwise, it won't create that commercial for the world to see.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It may seem obvious to the "initiated" tech geeks amongus… but to others, they won't go into Best Buy looking for an APPLE iPad… just "iPad"… I was in there, I've heard it… Customer to salesperson: "Hi, I'm looking for the iPads?"  Sales: "Over there in the computing section… here, I'll show you…" (Takes customer to a shelf display containing various and sundry "tablets", none of which are made by APPLE….. Customer: "thanks…." (and did ask a few questions about the differences and prices, and…). I finally pointed them to the IN STORE APPLE area…. and to a REAL iPad….

 

So, it isn't assumed anyone asks for APPLE iPad….. just saying…..

post #110 of 129
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
So, it isn't assumed anyone asks for APPLE iPad….. just saying…..

 

I don't get how that helps Samsung's case, though.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here is the scenario I am imagining:

 

Mother tells the Grandmother that grand child wants an iPad as a gift for <fill in event>

 

Grandmother goes to Best Buy and says I need to purchase one of those new tablet computers I think they call it the iPad.

 

 

More like Mom tells Granny that child wants an iPad as a gift from whatever. 

 

Granny goes to Best Buy and in her ignorance thinks that 'iPad' is the same as tablet. Any tablet. i.e. that it's just a generic term. Sees the newly released Tab and it's on sales. Tells sales person she wants one of those. 

 

Child thanks Granny for gift because Mom taught him to just say thanks. Next day, Mom returns Tab for iPad that the kid really wants. 

 

Or at least that's the version that Apple is trying to avoid by making it clear that not all tablets are iPads although they look basically the same. Maybe they should have done that 'basically' ad for the iPad and not the Mac. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #112 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

I haven't heard anyone use iPad as a generic term. Such as, "Have you seen this? I'll iPad it to you...".

 

Not all generic terms are verbs. Some of them are nouns. 

 

Aspirin was one the trademarked term for a particularly companies release of a now very proper OTC pain drug. Then every company started calling their release of the same chemical formula 'aspirin' and Bayer wasn't quick to stop them and they lost the trademark. 

 

Xerox didn't make that mistake so not all copiers are Xerox and Xeroxing is not a proper term for the action (although some still use it). 

 

Newspapers etc haven't yet jumped on the idea of calling all tablets 'iPads' although some people have. And are often quickly corrected that there's no such thing as a Windows iPad or a Samsung iPad. same with the iPod. But you'll still find folks putting out a Zune and calling it an iPod. And yes I saw it at an Apple Store. 80 year old guy says something like "my grand kids got me this iPod and I can't figure out how to use it" and pulled out a Zune. I had to keep from laughing as the poor hipster kid tried to explain that it's not an iPod and they can't help him with it. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #113 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


C'mon I can understand mistaking it in the store but when one is handed a box that says Samsung on it instead of Apple should tip them that they bought the wrong device.

 

THe issue isn't so much that they went in to get an actual iPad but that they don't get that iPad isn't just a cute term for tablet. With that confusion they think they are getting a much cheaper Samsung iPad rather than the Apple iPad. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #114 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

 

Well...if they had a lick of sense, then yes!  

 

(You didn't think they'd know how to buy them on-line, didja???)

 

Can't have the paper trail. 

 

Go to best buy, in a disguise and pay cash. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

...and advertise it in UK newspapers.

 

That info is in the court records and probably public info now. I could totally see, assuming Apple loses the appeal, them including that info in the required ads. Start off with a statement to the effective "The British Courts say Samsung didn't copy the iPad. You decide." With some photos, especially those 'before the release/after the release'. At the bottom something about these returns. 

 

THAT would be an awesome stunt to not be advertising Samsung in the way that just posting "Samsung didn't copy the iPad" could be taken (and Apple wouldn't be the ones making the declaration but just reporting the court decision). Still getting the public vote in there etc. They could finish up with a tagline something to the effect of "If it's not from Apple it's not an iPad." 

 

I could see Apple doing something like that. They could argue they did what they were ordered to do, but they avoid making the statement as if they are saying it. no apologizes etc and they still get in some advertising for themselves. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

 

It may seem obvious to the "initiated" tech geeks amongus… but to others, they won't go into Best Buy looking for an APPLE iPad… just "iPad"… I was in there, I've heard it… Customer to salesperson: "Hi, I'm looking for the iPads?"  Sales: "Over there in the computing section… here, I'll show you…" (Takes customer to a shelf display containing various and sundry "tablets", none of which are made by APPLE….. Customer: "thanks…." (and did ask a few questions about the differences and prices, and…). I finally pointed them to the IN STORE APPLE area…. and to a REAL iPad….

 

So, it isn't assumed anyone asks for APPLE iPad….. just saying…..

 

Exactly. Common folks can and do think 'iPad' is just a cute name for tablet. And rarely do they ask for the Apple iPad. Even in cases where they are taken the Apple ones if they see the others and see they are cheaper they will make the assumption for themselves that it's the same thing (because an iPad is any tablet regardless of who made it). and when they call over the sales person that person isn't going to assume they really wanted an Apple iPad when the person says 'what about this one? What can it do?'

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #117 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

 

Not all generic terms are verbs. Some of them are nouns. 

 

Aspirin was one the trademarked term for a particularly companies release of a now very proper OTC pain drug. Then every company started calling their release of the same chemical formula 'aspirin' and Bayer wasn't quick to stop them and they lost the trademark. 

 

 ???

 

Aspirin was developed by Bayer in 1897. As a german company they, by virtue of being German, lost the right to defend their trade mark after the First World War because the British, french and USA courts stuck two fingers up to them and allowed anyone to use the word aspirin. It was only this hostility that allowed the term to pass from a brand name to a generic name. Once it became generic there was no turning back  Latterly, Bayer, after1994, were able to register "Bayer Aspirin" as a trademark in the USA (this is quite relevant given the "Amazon Appstore" debate).

 

It is frequently suggested on this site that Apple have to be aggressive with regard to IP or trademarks lest the courts remove those rights, I honestly don't know if that is true. Your Bayer example however is very flawed and contary to the point I suspect you were trying to make.If anything it shows that you can invent a product, lose all rights to exclusivity and still end up making a mint out of it

post #118 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here is the scenario I am imagining:

 

Mother tells the Grandmother that grand child wants an iPad as a gift for <fill in event>

 

Grandmother goes to Best Buy and says I need to purchase one of those new tablet computers I think they call it the iPad.

 

Best Buy sales rep tells her the tablet she really needs to buy is this brand new Galaxy Tab, it is the best one on the market.

 

On the day of the <event> grand child opens gift and bursts into tears. "I wanted the iPad".

 

Next day mom and child go to Best Buy to exchange it.

 

Yup, because either:

- Sales commission, bonus or service contract is worth more to the store and employee

- Seniors and "moms" are the most gullible targets in an electronics store.

 

I can't tell you how often sales people try to sell me something I don't want. When I go into these stores, I already know exactly what I want and ignore the sales people.

 

But mobile phones are a confusing mess. I went into the Samsung store and couldn't tell one model from another. At least with Apple, if you want an "iPhone" you get an "iPhone", or iPad when you ask for an iPad. They only make one model per year. Like cars, it's much easier to see the difference between various models if the branding only deals with a model year. But like cars, you can't sell someone a Honda Civic when they want a Lexus CT and go "oh they're the same, they're both hybrids"

post #119 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

 

Yup, because either:

- Sales commission, bonus or service contract is worth more to the store and employee

- Seniors and "moms" are the most gullible targets in an electronics store.

 

I can't tell you how often sales people try to sell me something I don't want. When I go into these stores, I already know exactly what I want and ignore the sales people.

 

But mobile phones are a confusing mess. I went into the Samsung store and couldn't tell one model from another. At least with Apple, if you want an "iPhone" you get an "iPhone", or iPad when you ask for an iPad. They only make one model per year. Like cars, it's much easier to see the difference between various models if the branding only deals with a model year. But like cars, you can't sell someone a Honda Civic when they want a Lexus CT and go "oh they're the same, they're both hybrids"

why would the commission be any less?

 

 

Although apple only release iPhone at a time, they do have more than one model available to suit different budgets. They a adopt a model that says if you have a lower budget you can purchase older techonolgy, other firms will sell you new designs but with cheaper, lower spec'd components for a lower price.

 

I'd imagine that apple only do this with their phones and ipads because it reduces their overheads, less tooling costs and lower R&D. Their other products mirror the rest of the industry. MBP- you want more ram, a bigger screen, fine, just pay a bit more.

 

In short, the lack of choice is not to help mitigate confusion, it is to maximise profits. 

post #120 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

 

 

In short, the lack of choice is not to help mitigate confusion, it is to maximise profits. 

Or it could do both.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads