or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple, Google bidding on Kodak patents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple, Google bidding on Kodak patents

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
It was revealed on Friday that both Apple and Google and putting bids in for Kodak's patent portfolio though details regarding the arrangements are scarce.

In a tweet from Wall Street Journal editor Dennis Berman, Apple and Google were named as perspective customers of Kodak's upcoming patent sell-off expected to take place in August. A follow-up tweet noted the two companies were front-runners in the patent bidding war.

Kodak seeks to sell off part of its massive patent pile, specifically IP in the 'digital-capture' portfolio, as part of terms attached to a granted loan meant to keep the company afloat during corporate restructuring.

While it was known that the former photography giant was shopping around patents, the parties involved in bidding were kept secret until now.

Kodak Tweet
Source: Dennis Berman's Twitter feed


According to the Journal, Apple has reportedly formed a group with Microsoft and patent firm Intellectual Ventures to bid against Google's group of powerhouse companies Samsung, HTC, LG and patent firm RTX. The groupings are similar to a previous Nortel patent sell-off that pitted Apple, Microsoft, Research in Motion, Sony and EMC against Google and Intel.

Most recently Apple lost a bid to transfer a Kodak suit out of New York bankruptcy court and into the state's district court, move that could have hindered the photography pioneer's patent sale proceedings.
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a tweet from Wall Street Journal editor Dennis Berman, Apple and Google were named as perspective customers of Kodak's upcoming patent sell-off expected to take place in August. 

 

 

As opposed to those customers who see the world in 2D?

post #3 of 14

I kinda lol'd at that. Apple couldn't win 'em so it tries to buy 'em.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #4 of 14

Holy...!  "...perspective customers..."?

 

Guys, come on.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I kinda lol'd at that. Apple couldn't win 'em so it tries to buy 'em.

 

Thanks for the "Block Member" heads up.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 14
It's funny how Apple had been teaming up with Microsoft for these patent buys. Perfect frenemies to fight Google I suppose
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

It's funny how Apple had been teaming up with Microsoft for these patent buys. Perfect frenemies to fight Google I suppose

 

Yes, Google is a threat to both MS and Apple. I expect their "marriage of convenience" to continue.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #8 of 14

I love competition but this is the wrong kind of competition. That money could be used to you know innovate. This patent scrap is a mess. We need new patent laws that are clear and accurate and make since for the year 2012 not the 1800s

post #9 of 14

When people talk about Apple acquiring new patents either through the patent office or buying portfolios everyone seems to jump into the discussion of who they are going to impose licenses on etc. I tend more to wonder what kind of features it will help them add to upcoming products. Does anyone know what enhancements (if any) these patents would grant apple in future product releases?

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I kinda lol'd at that. Apple couldn't win 'em so it tries to buy 'em.

 

 

Actually, Apple has only been trying to win one patent from Kodak, and the fight is ongoing. Apple and Microsoft, however, don't want 1) patent trolls to get the patents, or 2) Google's partners so that they can use it as defensive ammunition. Further, it makes sense as Apple and Microsoft have an extensive cross licensing agreement. 

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

When people talk about Apple acquiring new patents either through the patent office or buying portfolios everyone seems to jump into the discussion of who they are going to impose licenses on etc. I tend more to wonder what kind of features it will help them add to upcoming products. Does anyone know what enhancements (if any) these patents would grant apple in future product releases?

You might be correct sometimes, but this buy isn't about features. It is about keeping the patents out of patent trolls hands, and preventing Google from using them to defend Android. The patents are all older. 

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You might be correct sometimes, but this buy isn't about features. It is about keeping the patents out of patent trolls hands, and preventing Google from using them to defend Android. The patents are all older. 

If they are older though I don't see the value, If they are of no value to Apples products and are obsolete to their competitors then I don't see the value in ownership of them unless they plan to implement the tech in their products.

 

Keeping it from Google is pointless if its too outdated for google to use.  

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

I love competition but this is the wrong kind of competition. That money could be used to you know innovate. This patent scrap is a mess. We need new patent laws that are clear and accurate and make since for the year 2012 not the 1800s

 

Legal disputes are and always have been a part of business. That's a plain fact.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Google's group of powerhouse companies Samsung, HTC, LG and patent firm RTX.

It's RPX not RTX.

 

e.g. http://www.scribd.com/doc/56754406/RPX-Criminal-Complaint

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple, Google bidding on Kodak patents