or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia closes last Finnish plant amid sweeping job cuts

Nokia closes last Finnish plant amid sweeping job cuts

post #1 of 75
Once dominant cellphone maker Nokia on Friday shuttered the doors to its last remaining manufacturing plant in Finland as part of ongoing plans to cut overhead.

After discussing the plant shutdown with union representatives, Nokia closed its last home-country plant in Salo, Finland and reiterated plans to ax 3,700 jobs, reports Reuters.

Nokia first announced it would close the plant in June alongside plans to cut 10,000 jobs worldwide by the close of 2013. In the same release, the company also said it would close research and development facilities in Burnaby, Canada and Ulm, Germany.

Once a market-leader in smartphone sales, Nokia's share has dwindled as Apple's iOS and Google's Android capture an ever-larger piece of the global market in what has become a two-horse OS race. While still a top player, shipments of handsets running Nokia's defunct Symbian operating system dropped some 60 percent in the first quarter of 2012 and overall sales continue to waiver as the company moves to Microsoft's Windows Phone platform.

Lumia 900
Nokia is banking on strong sales of its Lumia 900 Windows Phone.

Production at the Salo plant, considered the last major cellphone manufacturing site in western Europe, has already ceased meaning the factory's 780 workers will lose their jobs sometime this year.
post #2 of 75
I'm guessing we gotta wait for that Microsoft advantage to kick in eh?

So sad...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #3 of 75

I guess that means they may not be around as long as predicted in the recent Star Trek movie?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess that means they may not be around as long as predicted in the recent Star Trek movie?

I don't remember Nokia being in the Star Trek. Now I have to watch that again.

edit: Now I remember. http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/009/05/next_nokia_touch_device_revealed_in_the_star_trek_movie.htm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: Now I remember. http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/009/05/next_nokia_touch_device_revealed_in_the_star_trek_movie.htm

It was...

post #6 of 75

I can only feel bad for everyone that worked under the leaders of this company that ran them into joblessness.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #7 of 75
Quote:

I remembered it mainly because it annoyed me that they would even attempt product placement in a Trek film. How many brands are we exposed to on a daily basis that have been around more than 100 years? Coke? A variety of banks?

http://shanghai.cultural-china.com/html/City-Beats/City-Feature/201009/09-6699.html

Maybe they should've used some Chinese brands instead?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 75
So sad for the workers. Essentially they can thank big companies like Apple and Google for moving th majority of phone manufacturing jobs to 3rd world nations.
post #9 of 75
Quote:

I remembered it mainly because it annoyed me that they would even attempt product placement in a Trek film. How many brands are we exposed to on a daily basis that have been around more than 100 or 200 years? Coke? A variety of banks?

They gotta make money. I just hate when the placement detracts from the film. I remember the excessive focus on the branding but it wasn't as egregious as it could have been and was in a classic car, not on the bridge of the Enterprise. The worst is what they are doing in TV shows these days. Bones is the worst. Whenever they do a placement is pulls you out of the show and feels like it was directed, shot, written by a completely different set of people. Bones even had an entire episode revolve around the opening of Avatar.

PS: ST:TNG season 1 remaster for Blu-ray as of this week.

post #10 of 75
Quote:

They gotta make money. I just hate when the placement detracts from the film. I remember the excessive focus on the branding but it wasn't as egregious as it could have been and was in a classic car, not on the bridge of the Enterprise. The worst is what they are doing in TV shows these days. Bones is the worst. Whenever they do a placement is pulls you out of the show and feels like it was directed, shot, written by a completely different set of people. Bones even had an entire episode revolve around the opening of Avatar.
PS: ST:TNG season 1 remaster for Blu-ray as of this week.

I think they should simply cease with commercial breaks for broadcast television and have continuous programming with the products worked into the storyline and background. As long as it doesn't detract to a sickening degree from the story, why not? Besides, I refuse to watch most broadcast TV. :)

Edited by SpamSandwich - 7/27/12 at 3:47pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 75
Quote:

I think they should simply cease with commercial breaks for broadcast television and have continuous programming with the products worked into the storyline and background. As long as it doesn't detract to a sickening degree from the story, why not? Besides, I refuse to watch most broadcast TV.

With the way tech is moving they just might. Ever notice that at the end of a gameshow they note who provided the wardrobe? Imagine that if you're watching anything you can pause it and have a list of items on screen with descriptions, prices and where to buy with links. A jacket, a couch, etc. It's Fahrenheit 451... now we just need to burn all the books.

post #12 of 75
Quote:

I think they should simply cease with commercial breaks for broadcast television and have continuous programming with the products worked into the storyline and background. As long as it doesn't detract to a sickening degree from the story, why not? Besides, I refuse to watch most broadcast TV.
I didn't mind it so much when Chuck did the constant subway plugs. Without it we most likely wouldn't have had the last two seasons.

The thing is on a lot of shows the plugs are just extra money for the studio.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #13 of 75
Quote:

Funny you should bring that up. I was watching a James Bond movie last night, and the most prominent product placement? Ericsson. To think that these companies once bestrode the telecom backbone and handset worlds.... and not that long ago! Wow.

Also tells us that these movie product placements amount to a hill of beans.

post #14 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

So sad for the workers. Essentially they can thank big companies like Apple and Google for moving th majority of phone manufacturing jobs to 3rd world nations.

Uh... that's how they will get rich. You've got something against poor people bettering their lives by working harder, cheaper?

post #15 of 75
Quote:

Shouldn't they be thanking Nokia's incompetent management, who did absolutely nothing to address new market realities?

post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I'm guessing we gotta wait for that Microsoft advantage to kick in eh?
So sad...

It is sad.  They just can't compete at the high end, and that seems to be where a lot of the profit resides.

Their decision to tie their high end to WinPhone 7 seems like a blunder at this point.  

They are now trying to hang on long enough to see if they get any new life with Windows 8 on their phones.  Good luck with that.  I wouldn't count out Windows on phones yet, but it is getting increasingly difficult not to. It boggles the mind that Microsoft once had a huge cellphone business, and that they have squandered their former position.

And  in the meantime, Nokia is going down for the count.

post #17 of 75

Nokia is dead. Nokia can't survive to end of year. Why to these folks lie? How do you close your last manufacturing plant, and then say you're cutting overhead. Overhead are the leaders of Nokia and their cronies. Their manufacturing plant is the only portion of their company that is NOT overhead.

post #18 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I didn't mind it so much when Chuck did the constant subway plugs. Without it we most likely wouldn't have had the last two seasons.
The thing is on a lot of shows the plugs are just extra money for the studio.

One of the few shows I do watch is "30 Rock" and it was amusing to see them sort of attack Subway in one episode.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Uh... that's how they will get rich. You've got something against poor people bettering their lives by working harder, cheaper?
Well they won't be getting richer for long because the service based economies of the west are collapsing one by one.

When the EU and the US go under all the Chinese people that left their farms to work in factories are going to lose everything too.
post #20 of 75

Whoever brought the intellectually-challenged Elop onboard should be in jail now...NOKIA is a goner.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Nokia is dead. Nokia can't survive to end of year. Why to these folks lie? How do you close your last manufacturing plant, and then say you're cutting overhead. Overhead are the leaders of Nokia and their cronies. Their manufacturing plant is the only portion of their company that is NOT overhead.

Nokia doesn't just make phones. It also makes wireless infrastructure ( http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/portfolio/products )

Nokia squandered their position when they were ahead, and then repeatedly did nothing to adjust to market forces (look how long it took for a flip phone, when Americans were demanding flip phones.) Also take a look at flubs like the n-Gage.

Also look at RIM. Failure to adjust to market forces.

What we had, before Apple came along and ate everyone's lunch, was a market of dumb phones, expensive "Java2ME" slow devices that nobody wanted to develop software for. Microsoft's Windows CE/Mobile and Palm devices that had to be synced to get your software onto it. Apple changed all this, and now no PC needs to be involved. But it's not Apple that changed it, it's Apple's agreement with AT&T Wireless that changed the game. If data was still being charged at 5 cents a KB and data plans with a pittance of a data cap, the Apple iPhone wouldn't have succeeded, because it would have been nothing more than a "iPod that can place calls"

The Chinese counterfeits were very quick to try and copy the iPhone design to trick people looking for iPhones, but they were also knocking off the N95. This was the same year that Nokia was selling the N95 which had far superior specifications. Yet the iPhone succeeded and became the market leader because it wasn't just another dumb phone with no software. It's been downhill for Nokia and RIM ever since.

post #22 of 75

The problem is everyone wants to blame the current guy when the seeds for Nokia's current struggles were sown in the mid-2000s.

post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Whoever brought the intellectually-challenged Elop onboard should be in jail now...NOKIA is a goner.

No, the people who ran the company in the mid-2000s are the ones who should be in jail.

Since Nokia can't make iOS phones, and wouldn't have been able to compete against Samsung in the Android commodity war (see: HTC, Sony Ericsson, etc), that left building an ecosystem either in cooperation with MS as the lead OEM in Windows Phone, or competing AGAINST Microsoft (and Apple, and Google, and RIM) with their own platform.

MeeGo *is* a fantastic OS, and the N9 is a fantastic phone (I'm using one right now)--except for apps. And Nokia just couldn't have done that on its own. (watch RIM to see for sure)

post #24 of 75
Quote:

The workers should also thank those dastardly consumers for preferring lower cost merchandise over higher cost merchandise. I notice some people complain about "jobs moving overseas" until they're actually in a store and suddenly decide they want the best deal possible for themselves. Hence the market always moving towards lower prices, and hence jobs moving overseas where labor is cheaper and unions weak or non-existent. 

Personally, I call that progress. ;-)

post #25 of 75

And yet Foxconn announced that they would be hiring more people over the next two months to make up for the labor Nokia laid off.  Lets hear it for Foxconn. ppppppppppp.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #26 of 75
Quote:

what does Apple and Google have to do with Nokia buying into the failed Microsoft Windows Phone platform?  Elop is a trojan horse installed by Microsoft to kill Symbian with the fantasy everyone will use the garbage Windows Phone OS instead.  The sole blame for Nokias failure goes to signing their death certificate by partnering with Microsoft.

post #27 of 75
Quote:

Not necessarily…. I remember when Apple closed their Fremont plant that they had opened about 10 years earlier as a state-of-the-art JIT manufacturing plant -- in Silicon Valley.

It is sad, but we are now in a world economy. In order to be competitive most companies have shifted manufacturing overseas. Nokial will still have manufacturing -- it will just be outsourced to companies specializing in high-quality and very low costs.

If they don't take the necessary decisions to remain competitive. -- Nokia will, likely, go out of business --- sacrificing thousands of engineering and administrative jobs in Finland and elsewhere. This current move may be the lesser of two evils!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/27/12 at 5:54pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Elop is a trojan horse installed by Microsoft to kill Symbian with the fantasy everyone will use the garbage Windows Phone OS instead.

Have you actually used WP OS? What exactly makes it "garbage"?

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Not necessarily…. I remember when Apple closed their Fremont plant that they had opened about 10 years earlier as a state-of-the-art JIT manufacturing plant -- in Silicon Valley.
It is sad, but we are now in a world economy. In order to be competitive most companies have shifted manufacturing overseas. Nokial will still have manufacturing -- it will just be outsourced to companies specializing in high-quality and very low costs.

I don't think many realize just connected the world economy is. I think a notion of nationalism within a connected world makes people see the world poorly. Those that say they want those 1 million Foxconn jobs to be in the US simply don't know how bad off the US economy would have to be for that to an unfortunate reality. On a more local level it's like building in the heart of a city v a rural area. I bet one of Amazon's warehouses isn't in Manhattan.

post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Personally, I call that progress. ;-)

Problem is long term Americans and Westerners in general will have less wealth to be able to buy these devices. Let's face it, the majority of people are currently working service jobs that have no benefits and low wages. These are the same people that have been the backbone of consumerism, but now they have far less purchasing power and are falling further into debt. 

The newly mint Chinese workers are making pennies and won't be able to pick up the slack in purchasing and currently have no desire to. We live in a world that relies on consumers and consumers are becoming scarce. I don't call that progress.

post #31 of 75
Quote:

I don't think many realize just connected the world economy is. I think a notion of nationalism within a connected world makes people see the world poorly. Those that say they want those 1 million Foxconn jobs to be in the US simply don't know how bad off the US economy would have to be for that to an unfortunate reality. On a more local level it's like building in the heart of a city v a rural area. I bet one of Amazon's warehouses isn't in Manhattan.

Ha! Amazon warehouses will be in the Toolies -- New Jersey, to serve Manhattan. Amazon warehouses will be the equivalent of the truck farms that service the major metropolises...

Did I just use "metro" in a sentence... With a positive connotation.

post #32 of 75
Quote:

The newly mint Chinese workers are making pennies and won't be able to pick up the slack in purchasing and currently have no desire to. We live in a world that relies on consumers and consumers are becoming scarce. I don't call that progress.

That's interesting. I thought that China was now the second largest market for Apple and growing rapidly. The data must be incorrect since it contradicts your narrative.
post #33 of 75
Quote:

Nokia has 122,000 employees cutting 3700 is just overhead..

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #34 of 75
Quote:

Problem is long term Americans and Westerners in general will have less wealth to be able to buy these devices. Let's face it, the majority of people are currently working service jobs that have no benefits and low wages. These are the same people that have been the backbone of consumerism, but now they have far less purchasing power and are falling further into debt. 

Americans and Westerners Live beyond their means and their economies are due to collapse sooner or later..you cannot always borrow..Asian countries live within their means and that's their strength

post #35 of 75
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post
Americans and Westerners Live beyond their means… 

Don't generalize or stereotype.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

yes. the interface is beyond fugly. huge fisher price blocks on the interface, text scrolling to the right, missing tons of features iOS has, etc...  and the next and last version is not even backwards compatible. yet another brain dead move by the clueless idiots at the convicted monopolist Microsoft.   Lucky they can rely on their illegally obtained monopoly to piss away billions of shareholders money on the failed Windows Phone

post #37 of 75

the phone market is so cut throat these days, RIM is on its way out too.
They used to be able to coexist in the past, its sad that Nokia has fallen this hard, i used to buy Nokias back in the day.
So many companies make it big but then rest on their laurels, Nokia & MS bigtime!. 

post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Not even mentioning the horrendous Metro UI (oops, I mentioned it), there is just no reason for consumers to choose such a a device with that OS over an Android device or an iPhone. 

WP OS is the very definition of redundant. It offers the consumer nothing substantial at all over the competition. Unless we're talking about hardcore Windows fans, which is a colossal oxymoron to begin with. Which also explains Windows Phone's lousy market performance even after almost two years on the market. There is no way MS - in this current mobile market - can justify hanging on to what's supposed to be a major platform with tons of investment behind it, with consistent lower single-digit share, unless they're making a colossal, Apple-like profit. The very embarrassment alone will have MS management thinking about a - to put it diplomatically - "platform reset" in due course. 

Edited by Quadra 610 - 7/27/12 at 7:35pm
post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

yes. the interface is beyond fugly. huge fisher price blocks on the interface, text scrolling to the right, missing tons of features iOS has, etc...  and the next and last version is not even backwards compatible. yet another brain dead move by the clueless idiots at the convicted monopolist Microsoft.   Lucky they can rely on their illegally obtained monopoly to piss away billions of shareholders money on the failed Windows Phone

better being a sheeple in the super stupid close system where you cannot personalize anything and have to deal with yesterday technology 

post #40 of 75
Somehow I don't think the Ballmer 8 phone will save Nokia from the abyss.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia closes last Finnish plant amid sweeping job cuts