or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia closes last Finnish plant amid sweeping job cuts

Nokia closes last Finnish plant amid sweeping job cuts - Page 2

post #41 of 75

Sad and unfair for the employees and what it represents for Finland.

Its a little humorous about the Nokia placement in the Trek movie.  Seems those things are often death warrants for the companies....I remember there was something called the Blade Runner effect where all or nearly all the real (at the time of the movie) companies that showed their names went bankrupt or nearly so during the next 10 years.  

Anyone remember the heavy placement of Silicon Graphics in that Lost in Space movie (I think that was about the top of their existence) - down the tubes for them after that.

post #42 of 75

I love how all these fanboys rejoice when an Apple competitor goes bankrupt. You won't be so happy when Apple has little to no competition and your precious new iPhone costs you $2000.

post #43 of 75
Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

I love how all these fanboys rejoice when an Apple competitor goes bankrupt. You won't be so happy when Apple has little to no competition and your precious new iPhone costs you $2000.

Why do all you trolls think that's

1. what Apple's doing?

2. what we want?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

yes. the interface is beyond fugly. huge fisher price blocks on the interface, text scrolling to the right, missing tons of features iOS has, etc...  and the next and last version is not even backwards compatible.

Sorry, I don't have a WP or an iOS device. Can you please list these "tons" of features that iOS has that WP is missing?
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

better being a sheeple in the super stupid close system where you cannot personalize anything and have to deal with yesterday technology 

Typical Windows drone response which makes no sense on multiple levels.  Are you recommending using the _technically inferior_ Windows Phone to not be a "sheeple"?  By your logic, you should use Palm OS to not be a "sheeple".  You know the failed Windows Phone only runs on single core processors, right? Not to mention it does not support high resolution displays?  I know you are simply regurgitating the nonsensical Microsoft talking points you were given to astro-turf but, come now.....

post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Sorry, I don't have a WP or an iOS device. Can you please list these "tons" of features that iOS has that WP is missing?

do you really need me to google it for you? Let me guess, you use the crappy Microsoft Bing and can not find it?

post #47 of 75
I guess this means they're Finnish-ed.

Sorry, could not help it.
post #48 of 75
Quote:

do you really need me to google it for you? Let me guess, you use the crappy Microsoft Bing and can not find it?

He tries to come off like he's actually curious but he's not. I'm fallen for that in the past. You can list pages of relevant differences but he won't read them, he'll just dismiss every one out of hand as being pointless, no matter how useful they are.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

better being a sheeple in the super stupid close system where you cannot personalize anything and have to deal with yesterday technology 

This is something I just don't get.  Are you stuck in middle school putting stickers on your trapper keeper?  You know what "personalizes" my iPhone?  The apps I choose to put on it.  I doubt anyone will have the exact same apps arranged exactly the way I have.  That's all I care about.  Wallpapers, icons, etc. is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (IMO).

2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
post #50 of 75
Very sad to see another European firm killed off like this.
U.S. companies tend to do that, they call it joined venture, takeover or support; I guess it's a good way to eliminate the competition.

J.
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

It is sad.  They just can't compete at the high end, and that seems to be where a lot of the profit resides.

Their decision to tie their high end to WinPhone 7 seems like a blunder at this point.  

They are now trying to hang on long enough to see if they get any new life with Windows 8 on their phones.  Good luck with that.  I wouldn't count out Windows on phones yet, but it is getting increasingly difficult not to. It boggles the mind that Microsoft once had a huge cellphone business, and that they have squandered their former position.

And  in the meantime, Nokia is going down for the count.

Even Microsoft didn't turn to Nokia to build their craptastic Surface computers.

post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Have you actually used WP OS? What exactly makes it "garbage"?

The fact that 98% of the world's smartphone users couldn't be bothered using it.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #53 of 75
Quote:

Customers, mainly.

post #54 of 75
Quote:

what does Apple and Google have to do with Nokia buying into the failed Microsoft Windows Phone platform?  Elop is a trojan horse installed by Microsoft to kill Symbian with the fantasy everyone will use the garbage Windows Phone OS instead.  The sole blame for Nokias failure goes to signing their death certificate by partnering with Microsoft.

Symbian killed itself through being terrible. It's pretty obvious your personal animus for Microsoft is clouding your judgment and ability to make a clear, fact-based argument.

post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Whoever brought the intellectually-challenged Elop onboard should be in jail now...NOKIA is a goner.

They were gone before Elop. Ever hear of OPK, or Jourma, or Anssi? They put the company in the toilet back in 2007...

post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKneeland View Post

Symbian killed itself through being terrible. It's pretty obvious your personal animus for Microsoft is clouding your judgment and ability to make a clear, fact-based argument.

We know it is obvious your employer (Nokia) who hired you to work on the garbage Microsoft platform is clouding your judgement.  Windows Phone is a total failure today just as it was when Elop bought into it. While Symbian is no iOS, Nokia would have been _far_ better off working on Symbian, using Android, since at the time, it was actually selling (look at Samesung) and still is today.  So yes, Elop killed Nokia by signing a deal with a company which has a long history of backstabbing their "partners". 

I know you are just spewing out all the Microsoft talking points given to you by your employer, but perhaps this site of reality based commentators is not for you?  PS: Have fun looking for a new job as Microosft/Elop killed your company.

post #57 of 75
Quote:

We know it is obvious your employer (Nokia) who hired you to work on the garbage Microsoft platform is clouding your judgement.  Windows Phone is a total failure today just as it was when Elop bought into it. While Symbian is no iOS, Nokia would have been _far_ better off working on Symbian, using Android, since at the time, it was actually selling (look at Samesung) and still is today.  So yes, Elop killed Nokia by signing a deal with a company which has a long history of backstabbing their "partners". 

I know you are just spewing out all the Microsoft talking points given to you by your employer, but perhaps this site of reality based commentators is not for you?  PS: Have fun looking for a new job as Microosft/Elop killed your company.

Symbian had pretty much reached the end of the road a few years ago, it just couldn't keep up with what consumers were being given with iOS and Android.

Symbian was good in it's day, but then again so was DOS, by the time it was killed it had reached far beyond it's limitations mainly by bloating it with add-ons which pretty much rendered it useless.

post #58 of 75
Quote:

So you would need to google it? Meaning you don't know, so why claim something you don't know?
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He tries to come off like he's actually curious but he's not. I'm fallen for that in the past. You can list pages of relevant differences but he won't read them, he'll just dismiss every one out of hand as being pointless, no matter how useful they are.

Excuse me? You seem to take a lot of interest in me when you claim I am irrelevant. Which is it? It they are claiming something, why can't they back it up with proof? To tell the truth I am very interested, I don't own either an iOS or WP device, I want to know these tons of features missing. What's the bet you can't list them either?
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Customers, mainly.

So iOS, Android and WP are all missing tons of features that S40 has then?
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Symbian had pretty much reached the end of the road a few years ago, it just couldn't keep up with what consumers were being given with iOS and Android.

Can you please provide a list of these things they consumers were given with iOS and Android that Symbian was missing?
post #62 of 75
Quote:

So you would need to google it? Meaning you don't know, so why claim something you don't know?

I am saying why do i need to copy and paste information you know you could Google and find yourself.  Obvious troll is obvious.

Here you go troll: http://bit.ly/ObBYKK

post #63 of 75
Anyone interested in an insider's view of Elop and why he might be the "worst CEO ever" would benefit from reading this blog. IMO the author makes excellent points. http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2012/07/the-sun-tzu-of-nokisoftian-microkia-mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whose-the-baddest-of-them-all-waterloo.html
melior diabolus quem scies
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Anyone interested in an insider's view of Elop and why.....

Tomi Ahonen is NOT a Nokia 'insider'!

He is a shameless, narcassistic, self promoter with a heavy bias against anything to do with Elop.

PS. Poor form to direct people to his longest, most rambling blog post ever. 

post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post
He is a shameless, narcassistic, self promoter with a heavy bias against anything to do with Elop.

PS. Poor form to direct people to his longest, most rambling blog post ever. 

IMO he's certainly an industry "insider", but agree with you that he doesn't shy from self-promotion. Get past the quick assumption that it's "all about Tomi" and I disagree that it's "poor form" to link to it. I read his post in it's entirety and found his points to be worth consideration. I assume you also read it. What did he have to say that you specifically disagreed with?

Edited by Gatorguy - 7/29/12 at 7:33am
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I remembered it mainly because it annoyed me that they would even attempt product placement in a Trek film. How many brands are we exposed to on a daily basis that have been around more than 100 years? Coke? A variety of banks?

Kikkoman started as a group of family owned companies in 1603.

Plymouth Gin Distillery has operated since 1793.  (And its building, formerly a Dominican monastery, was built in 1431.)

Nintendo was founded as a playing card manufacturer in 1889.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #67 of 75
"I could perhaps like others have astonished you
with strange improbable tales; but I rather chose
to relate plain matter of fact in the simplest
manner and style; because my principal design
was to inform you, and not to amuse you.
—Jonathan Swift,
Gulliver’s Travels"
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Shouldn't they be thanking Nokia's incompetent management, who did absolutely nothing to address new market realities?

I know. Shouldn't Nokia ask their R&D department fot their money back?!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

I love how all these fanboys rejoice when an Apple competitor goes bankrupt. 

Rejoice?  Nah. Smug satisfaction that we were right all along? Why not. 

2007: 

Quote:

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/02/03/nokia-ceo-olli-pekka-kallasvuo-talks-about-the-iphone/

"I don’t think that what we have seen so far (from Apple) is something that would any way necessitate us

changing our thinking when it comes to openness, our software and business approach," Nokia Chief Executive

Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo told a conference call with analysts.

Quote:

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/233390--ceo-balsillie-shrugs-off-blackberry-killer

BALSILLIE IS the first to admit some will find the iPhone's look appealing, but he says he's doubtful the device will have much of an impact on RIM's overall sales. For one thing, he says, the iPhone will hold little appeal for RIM's core business market and its need for secure information technology systems, which RIM has been providing for years with its corporate BlackBerry email servers.

He is also intensely critical of what appears to be an effort by Apple to wrest control of the customer experience in the consumer market. For example, the iPhone is being sold through Apple's own stores, instead of strictly through AT&T Inc., which signed an exclusive U.S. deal with the computer maker. The phone is free of AT&T's logo and software and is tied closely to Apple's iTunes music store, which is where subscribers will need to go to activate their phones and browse rate plans.

"It's a dangerous strategy," says Balsillie. "It's a tremendous amount of control. And the more control of the platform that goes out of the carrier, the more they shift into a commodity pipe."

Delicious. 

post #70 of 75
ThIs is great news! Although I feel sorry for the bottom of the pile workers I have no sympathy for those arrogant execs who really thought they had a monopoly on innovation and great Products. Don't get me wrong, I remember the pre email phones from Nokia and they were the best for their time. I proudly owned one of these devices. Then things started to change - and it took me a day from work to spend at a store to get email to work on the next Nokia phone model. Two store assistants couldn't work it out either. That was the beginning of the end for Nokia. Apple came with a great product that was powerful and easy to use. This is what we call as creative destruction - old and no longer innovating firms decline while new products from more creative firms grow.
I recall hearing a disgruntled business professor ( because is Finnish and couldn't fathom that Nokia was in decline at the cost of what he described as 'badly made' rubbish from Apple. And this professor specialized in innovation! He couldn't stand that the Finnish national champion was in decline. His name is Goran Roos and he must be weeping now as I sit here rejoicing that this basketcase of 21st century smartphone standards is going down!
post #71 of 75
Quote:

I am saying why do i need to copy and paste information you know you could Google and find yourself.  Obvious troll is obvious.

Here you go troll: http://bit.ly/ObBYKK

Troll? Oh, that's right, this is appleinsider where everyone is called a troll for asking a question

Can you provide some decent links, the first one with 20 missing features, the first 10 were social network things, that isn't an OS feature, in fact most were application features. The major missing feature is way down at number 20, and let's not forgot that Apple has only recently added this themselves, but then again.
post #72 of 75
Quote:

Troll? Oh, that's right, this is appleinsider where everyone is called a troll for asking a question
Can you provide some decent links, the first one with 20 missing features, the first 10 were social network things, that isn't an OS feature, in fact most were application features. The major missing feature is way down at number 20, and let's not forgot that Apple has only recently added this themselves, but then again.

sorry not feeding the troll anymore.

post #73 of 75
Quote:

sorry not feeding the troll anymore.

ha ha ha. Typical appleinsider response, if you are willing to make a claim, at least have the balls to back it up. Any time you are ready you are welcome to post the other 999 missing features from WP7.5

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get to use that troll comment on tonnes of other people that prove you wrong
post #74 of 75
Originally Posted by fanning View Post
…the other 999 missing features from WP7.5

Yes, I believe you when you say there are 999 features missing from Windows Phone 7. That'd explain why absolutely no one is adopting it, at least.

post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

Look fellas, Nokia is s#it, that's all you need to know. Troll or no trolls, Nokia is S#it.

Nokia is no longer successful and they have been poorly managed and had other issues but they are not shit. The Lumia is a great quality and stylish device. If more Android-based phones followed Nokia's lead perhaps Android phones could actually do a little better against the iPhone's success.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia closes last Finnish plant amid sweeping job cuts