or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple seeks to invest 'hundreds of millions' in Twitter [u]

Rumor: Apple seeks to invest 'hundreds of millions' in Twitter [u]

post #1 of 73
According to New York Times sources, Apple has approached Twitter about a possible investment in the microblogging company valued in the "hundreds of millions" of dollars.

Update: A follow-up report from The Wall Street Journal claims its own sources have said Apple's talks with Twitter occurred over one year ago, not in "recent months" as described by the NYT, and ultimately bore no fruit. The Journal goes on to note that there are no "current formal investment or acquisition discussions between the companies."

In a report on Friday, The Times said people briefed on the matter claim Apple has been in talks with Twitter over the past few months though the publication was quick to mention that the purported negotiations are liquid and may not result in an agreement.

From the NYT report:

Apple has considered an investment in the hundreds of millions of dollars, one that could value Twitter at more than $10 billion, up from an $8.4 billion valuation last year, these people said. They declined to be named because the discussions were private.

The publication notes the purported investment would not affect Apple's bottom line in any significant way as the company has $117 billion in liquid investments, but such a move would be unusual. Apple leans toward acquiring small start-ups and assimilating their technology for use in branded products, an example being Siri on the iPhone 4S. Earlier on Friday it was announced that Apple acquired AuthenTec, a small security company known for its work in fingerprint scanning technology, for $356 million.

Twitter

Some speculate the talks may be in response to Google's recent social network push with Google+ as well as rumors that Facebook may be entering the handset market in the near future.

Apple has only dabbled in the space with its Ping social music network, though success was limited at best. Facebook was purportedly close to reaching a deal with Apple over Ping integration but negotiations ultimately fell through over what late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs called "onerous terms." Early versions of Ping's software showed some evidence of Facebook Connect connectivity but the features were absent upon the service's debut in 2010.

At WWDC in June, Apple announced deeper Facebook integration in iOS 6 at this year's WWDC which will be implemented in a way similar to Twitter's tie-in to the mobile operating system. The new functionality is limited in scope, however, and is not considered to be a comprehensive solution.

Despite its previous missteps in the sector, the iPhone maker is looking to "go social" and CEO Tim Cook said as much at the D10 conference in May.

"Apple doesn't have to own a social network," Cook said during a D10 panel. "But does Apple have to be social? Yes."

Most recently Apple took Twitter cross-platform when it expanded the microblogging service's functionality to OS X Mountain Lion.

Twitter has yet to go public and reportedly has some $600 million in the bank on strong advertising revenue and $1 billion in accumulated financing. The company is expected to make an initial public offering in the coming years though the rumors are as yet unsubstantiated.

Both Apple and Twitter declined to comment on the matter.
post #2 of 73

Don't do it, Apple.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 73
Twitter helped topple regimes.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 73

Cool. No complaints from me.

I actually really like the simplicity and purity of Twitter in comparison the "lets jam as many features as possible" mantra that seems to be prevailing in most social networks.

post #5 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't do it, Apple.

They aren't. NYT doesn't know what they are talking about

Apple's buying Twitter. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #6 of 73

Twits and FarseBook are a waste of resources.

post #7 of 73
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Apple's buying Twitter. 

DON'T DO IT, APPLE!

post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple's buying Twitter. 

What makes you think so?

post #9 of 73

This makes a lot of sense.

post #10 of 73

I dont see what they would gain by investing in twitter.

post #11 of 73

I don't understand it either.  Presumably it's come combination of 1) a way to invest a tiny fraction of the cash they need to manage and 2) to influence Twitter strategically.  Or perhaps to guard against getting shut out in case someone else bought Twitter, but I doubt that's a major risk.

post #12 of 73

tim is keeping up with the joneses.  well, the bin Talalses, i suppose.  that saudi prince (bin Talal) already owns several hundred million dollars worth of twitter.  don't do it apple.

"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

post #13 of 73

I can see how this makes sense.  I'm not a big fan of Twitter, but it is what it is.

Apple by holding a significant percentage of Twitter could be in the 1st stage of acquiring all of Twitter or at least is doing this as a way to prevent Twitter from getting into the wrong hands.

For better or for worse, Apple has fully committed to integrating Twitter across their products and services.  This investment, at the very least, helps secure the other investment they made of developing the Twitter integration.

post #14 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

tim is keeping up with the joneses...

What are you talking about??  Apple IS the "Joneses"!!

Just ask Scamsung... :)

post #15 of 73
Quote:

Don't be twits, Apple.

Fixed that for you.

Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
post #16 of 73
This is a bit of a weird move, if true. Yes, 'social' is important, but Twitter!?

On another matter, anyone else think that the new Mac ads (there were two that I caught during the olympics opening ceremony) were the **absolute worst** that Apple has ever produced?
post #17 of 73

Honestly I dont like twitter.  Can't see what the benny is for investing in it.  I like FaceBook way more than Twitter.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is a bit of a weird move, if true. Yes, 'social' is important, but Twitter!?
On another matter, anyone else think that the new Mac ads (there were two that I caught during the olympics opening ceremony) were the **absolute worst** that Apple has ever produced?

Um, nope.  I thought they fit into the evening very well.  Like it or not Apple has a growing reputation as a big, bad global dominator, so some nice human-scale, likable ads for Mac is probably overdue.  When's the last time you even saw an ad from Apple that wasn't about the iPad, iPhone, or iPod.  We should be cheered that Apple still cares enough about good, old fashioned computers to have ads that end with "Mac" on the screen.

post #19 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Honestly I dont like twitter.  Can't see what the benny is for investing in it.  I like FaceBook way more than Twitter.

That's like saying you like television better than e-mail.  They are completely differently, mostly complementary, things.  And Twitter is less likely to burst like a bubble than Facebook.  It's more mature, is less disrupted by the shift to mobile, and doesn't have the gonzo hype associated with Facebook.  Probably not a horrible way to invest 1/10 of 1% of the cash Apple has available to invest in stuff.

post #20 of 73

Ellen Feiss.

Yes, the Olympics ads were bad.

post #21 of 73
Quote:

Ellen Feiss.

Apple SO needs to bring her back for at least a cameo in a new ad.  

EF: "whoa, I like lost my paper.  and it was a good paper."

Someone else: "you're using a Mac, right?  With it's weird versioning thing and iCloud, you never need to save anything and you never lose anything.  See here's your 'missing' paper on your iPad even.  Um, you realize you only wrote 2 sentences, right?"

EF: "uh... Why am I still writing papers anyway, I was in college a decade ago."

post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

what's your myspace?

post #23 of 73

What would Twitter do for Apple????........Nothing

No advantage for Apple to buy it. Integration is already there.

post #24 of 73
Quote:

Ellen Feiss.

Oh yeah.... I forgot.

OK, I'll cut them some slack. For now.

post #25 of 73

I'm sure that they would not refuse hundreds of millions of dollars. However it is apt that their logo be a bird. No human can express adequately, in as few characters as Twitter provides, any kind of complex idea. It is the reduction of men to animals, to the simple visual and perceptual, with no complex ideas attached. i.e. the level of an animal or bird.

post #26 of 73

Hmmm.. sounds like Apple plans on patenting the Status Update next.

post #27 of 73
Oh go on Apple, tweet all over Facebook.

Actually, don't. It serves no benefit to anyone, all this social media stuff. We are loosing contact with what matters. People don't communicate anymore; this SM has got to stop. All poppycock.

See this TedTalk
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #28 of 73
"Apple doesn't have to own a social network," Cook said during a D10 panel. "But does Apple have to be social? Yes."

Is this not a clear enough statement? Apple doesn't want to buy Twitter. It just doesn't fit the corporate or product structure. But Apple does need to get into the social scene. An investment. a BIG investment, means Twitter stays integrated with IOS and Mac OS. And if the investment is REALLY big, it can prevent Twitter from being bought by someone else: think Google and Sparrow.

I wouldn't be surprised if we later learn that Apple is talking to other "up and coming" social firms that have not yet gone public.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
From the NYT report:

Apple has considered an investment in the hundreds of millions of dollars

and this could push the market cap of Twitter to more than $10 billion, up from an $8.4 billion valuation last year, these people said. 

Fixed...

post #30 of 73

Whatever.  Makes no difference to me if Apple invests in Twitter.  Why should I care?

However, as soon as twitter goes public I'll stop using it just as I did with FaceBook.  There are limits to my willingness to be a companies product instead of a customer.

post #31 of 73

Wall Street Journal says New York Times is one year behind on this story, and it's not happening.

Which is what I thought as soon as I read he headline.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #32 of 73
I hope it's true. Twitter is great! One usage for is that it's replaced many of my RSS feeds.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #33 of 73

Please buy Twitter outright, Apple. Thanks

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #34 of 73

If I want social networking I'll get the app.

Makes no sense for Apple to make any kind of investment in this area.  This is something Steve Ballmer would do.

post #35 of 73
please no more rumours!... if it is not about hardware...
post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Please buy Twitter outright, Apple. Thanks

Why!?
post #37 of 73
Originally Posted by haar View Post
please no more rumours!... if it is not about hardware...

Why would they listen to that request at all? 

post #38 of 73
Quote:

Why!?

1. To save Twitter.

2. To not just save it, but to fix the apps and keep it as the best social network.

3. Apple's foray into the social network world would be done and would work with the signing of a cheque.

4. To stop MS, Google and Facebook from buying them.

post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

I dont see what they would gain by investing in twitter.

Increased profits.

post #40 of 73

Dvorak makes a good point about Twitter lately...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407756,00.asp

It's a long way from its roots, and doesn't look like it will recover on its road to obsolescence. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple seeks to invest 'hundreds of millions' in Twitter [u]