or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Did Pelosi just use an ethnic stereotype?

Did Pelosi just use an ethnic stereotype?

post #1 of 4

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/pelosi-republican-jews-being-exploited_649077.html

The above article is about Pelosi saying that "Republican Jews" are being exploited for political gain.  I found that somewhat amusing, as Democrats pretty much take the Jewish vote for granted every year.  But then I saw this:  

Quote:
You know, as many of the Republicans are using Israel as an excuse, what they really want are tax cuts for the wealthy

Quote:
Pelosi responded, "Well, that’s how they’re being exploited. And they’re smart people. They follow these issues. But they have to know the facts. 

Did Pelosi just use the stereotype that Jews are wealthy?  And smart?    Isn't this a HUGE ethnic stereotype?  Granted, it's not a negative stereotype per se, but it's a stereotype nonetheless.  One wouldn't be out of line concluding that Pelosi views Jews as a monolithic group.  

Of course, the media won't focus on these comments.  They'll focus on Mitt Romney saying that the reported Olympic security concerns are "disconcerting."  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 4

Looks like she gets a pass, again.  Just as Reid gets a pass for saying that Obama doesn't use a "negro accent" unless he wants to, and Biden does for saying that Obama was "articulate and clean."   They get a pass...because their hearts are in the right place.  IOKIYOD!!!

post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Looks like she gets a pass, again.  Just as Reid gets a pass for saying that Obama doesn't use a "negro accent" unless he wants to, and Biden does for saying that Obama was "articulate and clean."   They get a pass...because their hearts are in the right place.  IOKIYOD!!!

Obama was brought up by a white, I think middle class*(* uk standard) woman, so he's not going to be a hoody type. I bet he went to reasonable schools too.

This thread made no sense. If Pelosi had said something that any reasonable person would have interpreted to be what you had gleaned from it, then you might have got some responses, but what she said was perfectly reasonable. You've twisted it to mean something it's not.

Interestingly Romney has blatantly offend the Palestinians. The Israeli's have an income about 20 times higher than the Palestinians. But the Palestinians are flipping under siege. Literally, they're barely allowed toothpaste. It was truly disgusting for Romney to make a point out of that as if the Palestinians are thick and godless and extremely damaging to careful diplomacy that has to be enacted to end this terrible tyranny over their lives. Even worse is the bloodshed that this division causes. Dramatic failures like these are for the Palins of the world, not for US presidents, who ultimately have nothing to gain to holding back progress. Europeans, I know will be appalled at this. I'm waiting to see what Europe will do to counter Romney"s stance, I think it's going to be big.

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Obama was brought up by a white, I think middle class*(* uk standard) woman, so he's not going to be a hoody type. I bet he went to reasonable schools too.

This thread made no sense. If Pelosi had said something that any reasonable person would have interpreted to be what you had gleaned from it, then you might have got some responses, but what she said was perfectly reasonable. You've twisted it to mean something it's not.

What the...huh?  She implied that jews were rich and good with money.  She used a stereotype.  Are you kidding?  

Quote:
Interestingly Romney has blatantly offend the Palestinians. The Israeli's have an income about 20 times higher than the Palestinians. But the Palestinians are flipping under siege. Literally, they're barely allowed toothpaste. It was truly disgusting for Romney to make a point out of that as if the Palestinians are thick and godless and extremely damaging to careful diplomacy that has to be enacted to end this terrible tyranny over their lives. Even worse is the bloodshed that this division causes. Dramatic failures like these are for the Palins of the world, not for US presidents, who ultimately have nothing to gain to holding back progress. Europeans, I know will be appalled at this. I'm waiting to see what Europe will do to counter Romney"s stance, I think it's going to be big

Again, nothing but Democratic talking points.  Their message on this trip is how Romney has committed gaffe after gaffe.  It's a narrative, one which you yourself embrace...regardless of facts.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Did Pelosi just use an ethnic stereotype?