or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface

Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface - Page 4

post #121 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

You're talking about the company (and the man) who forsook the floppy, the CD, the hard drive before most other companies? The company that introduced Retina Display on laptops without an apparent demand?  That's the company that believes change is a bad thing?

The iMac design hasn't changed for the past 5 years. The MBP hasn't changed for the past 4 years and hasn't changed that much for the past 11 years. The floppy, CD, retina display are internal changes. They're not design changes which is what I was talking about. Gone are the days when Apple had radical new designs every few years like the colour iMac, the Mac Cube, iMac Sunflower. Now it the same design year after year.

post #122 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

So I come back to my question, where is the antenna for WiFi/BT in this allegedly real prototype?  Is it still internal and the glass "window" in the back is enough for strong reception? 

According to AnandTech the change in how they made the WiFi antenna made it slightly better despite the flexboard being significantly smaller than the previous external design. Judging by the break in the material on the back it would appear that at least part of the back isn't an RF reflecting material which tells me that there wouldn't be a problem for them to continue using an internal antenna design with the next model.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #123 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

If you are wondering, de-Nile is a river in Egypt.

Am I the only one who cannot make sense of this?

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #124 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How would an Japanese iPhone repair facility get their hands on leaked parts from China?

Via a 'slow boat', I'm thinking...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #125 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

His skills are lacking. Give him a break.

post #126 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The iMac design hasn't changed for the past 5 years. The MBP hasn't changed for the past 4 years and hasn't changed that much for the past 11 years. The floppy, CD, retina display are internal changes. They're not design changes which is what I was talking about. Gone are the days when Apple had radical new designs every few years like the colour iMac, the Mac Cube, iMac Sunflower. Now it the same design year after year.

Consistency it IS what is called.

Look at Porsche, is there a need to screw that?

Remember how Apple often look at European car manufacturers for influence?

Less sophisticate people hate apple for its consistent approach to design.

post #127 of 306
Originally Posted by Mode View Post
Obvious fake to any photoshop pro.

YES! LET'S GET IT ON!

Conclusion: not done in Photoshop at all, made of real, physical parts of unverified authenticity. lol.gif

post #128 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Since when? I thought Apple was omnipotent without influence from outside designs. In harmony with itself and faithful to one infinite design ethos. Simple, elegant and boring.

As for Porsche - the only people I know who drive them are fat, middle-aged business men who think it makes them look younger and more attractive when actually it just makes them look like a prick.

Edited by Shaun, UK - 7/29/12 at 6:38pm
post #129 of 306
Quote:

Since when? I thought Apple was omnipotent without influence from outside designs. In harmony with itself and faithful to one infinite design ethos. Simple, elegant and boring.

As for Porsche - the only people I know who drive them are fat, middle-aged business men who think it makes them look younger and more attractive when actually it just makes them look like a prick.

Richard Hammond is gonna be mad!

post #130 of 306
Quote:

Though you are about to get attacked by fanbois....

Ironical...
post #131 of 306
Ahah I love it how so many people say they don't like it.
I do like it, very much, and hope it's real. I'm the fanboy now.

Lol at people calling this a photoshop. Photoshop of what? A samsung transformed into an iphone?
post #132 of 306
Quote:

Really!

Porsche makes work of art. Do i need to have a Picasso in order to recognize his genius and multitude of influences ( nevertheless he maintained his own ˝voice˝ )?

lol.gif: Looks like you are not only an island ( Apple and people who love ART are not ) but also an ostrich.

post #133 of 306
Quote:

Denial ... Get it... "De Nile" is a river in Egypt. Further to which, he is saying that many people are in denial that Apple is losing a bit of the "Touch of Steve".

I agree, though not so vehemently, that this iPhone 5, I don't know... Could be the first time I don't get the latest iPhone. So far I've resisted getting Mountain Lion... just doesn't seem "it". As mentioned I also returned the MacBook Pro Retina... didn't seem like it was actually ready for prime time.
Edited by sr2012 - 7/29/12 at 6:46pm
post #134 of 306
Quote:

Really!

Porsche makes work of art. Do i need to have a Picasso in order to recognize his genius and multitude of influences ( nevertheless he maintained his own ˝voice˝ )?
lol.gif : Looks like you are not only an island ( Apple and people who love ART are not ) but also an ostrich.

I wasn't aware that an ostrich will stick its head up its own ass.

post #135 of 306
Quote:

Reminds me of the Cool Wall on Top Gear (sorry you probably won't get the reference outside the UK). The Porsche is seriously uncool. They should look towards the new MIni for a cool car influence. The Porsche is Pam Anderson - old, tarty and vulger but you'd probably still go for a ride given the chance. The Mini is Emma Watson - young, hip, trendy and very desirable.

Edited by Shaun, UK - 7/29/12 at 6:46pm
post #136 of 306
Quote:

Agreed, iSheep buy anything with Apple's name on it and Apple knows it. If this phone proves true, it proves Apple knows its customers. Why innovate, they buy anything.

Someone please ban this useless guy.

post #137 of 306

I'm due for a new phone. This one will fit the bill nicely. It looks a little bland but only because you can't really see the material finishes in that low light photography. Trust me, it will be like holding a precious jewel once it is in your hand. The enhancements inside will be substantial along with the software. I say we are getting an iPad mini also which is why the iPhone is about the same size as before. Because that is the right size to slip into a front pocket. Adding a quarter inch here or there is not going to enhance its usefulness, just make it more bulky. Sorry but I'm not wearing a phone on my belt.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #138 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Denial ... Get it... "De Nile" is a river in Egypt. Further to which, he is saying that many people are in denial that Apple is losing a bit of the "Touch of Steve".
I agree, though not so vehemently, that this iPhone 5, I don't know... Could be the first time I don't get the latest iPhone. So far I've resisted getting Mountain Lion... just doesn't seem "it".

Just wow.

So, as long Steve was at Apple you´d have bought anything!

And you call people fanbois.

What i love about Apple is that they need almost none of your approval for what they do.

But what is the point of discussing taste/suppositions?

Isn´t there soap operas on TV for you to wash yr time with?

post #139 of 306
I've given some thought at the name it might have and I don't think it will be 'the new iPhone'.
Apple called the last iPad that way for precise reasons I can try to imagine. Not giving a product a name makes it harder for non-expert people to distinguish the new product from the old, especially if they look alike (even with the added retina) but it pushes people to ask themselves what's so new about it. The effect is weaker if you say the iPad 3 has a new screen (that's all? people may ask) instead of saying the new ipad has a new screen (and what else?)... But I may be completely mistaken, and it's possible that even Apple wanted to see the effect the name would have on sales, and surely the result of that research will decide if the 'new iPhone' will be or not.

I bet on it being named the iPhone 5. I'm ready to bet my big toe hair.
post #140 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't aware that an ostrich will stick its head up its own ass.

lol.gif

post #141 of 306
Who cares what the back looks like in the real world? Any person who doesn't use a case is either too rich or dumb for their own good.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #142 of 306
Quote:

Just wow.

So, as long Steve was at Apple you´d have bought anything!
And you call people fanbois.

What i love about Apple is that they need almost none of your approval for what they do.

But what is the point of discussing taste/suppositions?
Isn´t there soap operas on TV for you to wash yr time with?

??? I didn't call anyone fanbois. No, Apple doesn't need my approval, I'm just exercising my right to voicing my opinion.

As for Steve, no, I didn't by the Apple TV until Gen3 because then I had iTunes Store in my country, 1080p, etc. etc.

So one could argue Steve made great stuff, most of which I like. You can call me whatever.
post #143 of 306
Quote:

Indeed!

At least i am fatter than him.

post #144 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Who cares what the back looks like in the real world? Any person who doesn't use a case is either too rich or dumb for their own good.

Cases? We don't need no stinkin' cases.

post #145 of 306

And this is where I post pictures of my Day One 2007 iPhone, which I could not have remotely afforded had I not won, showing that after over five years of daily use it has zero blemishes, zero scratches, zero dents, and the Home Button works like the day out of the box. I take care of my possessions. They respond in kind.

post #146 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Ironical...

"Ironic"
post #147 of 306
Quote:

Reminds me of the Cool Wall on Top Gear (sorry you probably won't get the reference outside the UK). The Porsche is seriously uncool. They should look towards the new MIni for a cool car influence. The Porsche is Pam Anderson - old, tarty and vulger but you'd probably still go for a ride given the chance. The Mini is Emma Watson - young, hip and trendy and way out of our league.

You mean the car that looked pretty much the same since its debut in the late 50's? That what you think Apple should be copying with a radical new design? Even if you account for the modernized version it's still the same basic cues that gives it a distinctive Mini look and feel. No, you're just the standard troll who will ignore all changes and focus on what hasn't changed and then work up reasons as to why the changes made were bad and the changes not made were even worse.

Just to drive home how feeble your comments are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911_GT3 Not just cool, but Sub Zero. At least do a little research before you post.

post #148 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

If that's the new iPhone I'll pass- looks too much like a Galaxy S III.

It Absolutely Does Not... and by even posting such a thing proves that you've obviously never seen/held a Galaxy SIII.

Anyway... It'd be nice if Apple took a more ergonimically friendly approach to the shape of the 'new iPhone, (much less harsh and flat as Samsung did with the GSIII)...

Maybe something along the lines of this:

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #149 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And this is where I post pictures of my Day One 2007 iPhone, which I could not have remotely afforded had I not won, 

How did you afford the monthly service charge? The phone was only $200.

post #150 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

??? I didn't call anyone fanbois. No, Apple doesn't need my approval, I'm just exercising my right to voicing my opinion.
As for Steve, no, I didn't by the Apple TV until Gen3 because then I had iTunes Store in my country, 1080p, etc. etc.
So one could argue Steve made great stuff, most of which I like. You can call me whatever.

No, you are not whatEver, your justification just did not make it.

I still have NO cellPhone, imagine how my boss get pissed at me because of it. I just do not need one, yet.

If i am not at work, i am at home, no need for a cellPhone.

Yet!

post #151 of 306
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I assume "LM" stands for "LiquidMetal", despite it being covered in glass.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I didn't; that's the main reason. I won it, never (and have never) had service with it, and I still use the phone I had back then. This October, that finally changes. I'm more excited for the 6th iPhone than any other release.

It was $499 when I got it, though. Hard to remember those days, yeah?

post #152 of 306
Quote:

Reminds me of the Cool Wall on Top Gear (sorry you probably won't get the reference outside the UK). The Porsche is seriously uncool. They should look towards the new MIni for a cool car influence. The Porsche is Pam Anderson - old, tarty and vulger but you'd probably still go for a ride given the chance. The Mini is Emma Watson - young, hip, trendy and very desirable.

While I don't think a mini is anywhere near "cool"- I do agree that a Porsche is the ultimate douche car. Bald, fat, and Middle aged- or douche- pick one.

So much better car could be bought for the money... And you don't look like a clown in the process. But alas- this is a tech forum- so I'm done with car talk. ;-)

post #153 of 306
Quote:

I'm not rich, but I had two iPhones and never got a case . No problem in two years..
My opinion: I hate cases. I find them useless, I think it's stupid to use them (one of the few things I allow myself to say it's generally stupid sorry).

If I buy an iPhone, it's also for its design. I'm not covering it with a case that will make it uglier and thicker. Worse, many people buy iPhones just to follow a trend and don't care about the OS, so they buy it mostly for its looks...and they cover it. It breaks my heart to see an iPhone 4S with a case, possibly a transparent plastic case full of dust and finger traces.
post #154 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No the original iPhone wasn't 'only $200" upon release in 2007.

Mine retailed for US $599.99 when I purchased it on 'day one'.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #155 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It was $399 for 4GB or $599 for 8GB when it first launched.

post #156 of 306
Quote:

Consistency it IS what is called.

Look at Porsche, is there a need to screw that?

The car analogy is a good one. If I'm not mistaken, Jobs has referred to it before.

Quote:

I don't understand why you look at external design and use that alone to call Apple a company that resists changes, and just dismiss the internal changes which are in fact more important technology changes.  Basically, you're cherrypicking to support a false premise.

Let's look at external design changes:

- The color iMac G3 was introduced in 1998.

- The flower pot iMac G4 was introduced in 2002.  What's important about that wasn't the flower pot design. Instead, it was the adoption of the flat panel display.

- Then came iMac G5 in 2004. This was indeed a rapid rev from G4.  What's important this was that the flat panel was the entire computer.

- The Intel iMac was introduced in 2006. The big deal was Intel Inside. No change externally.

- The aluminum iMac was introduced in 2007. Not a big change in the shape at all, except it was thinner.

- The unibody aluminum iMac came out in 2009.

So really, there have been 5 major designs for the iMac, coming out in 1998, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2009.  If Apple releases the next form factor in 2013, will it really be much slower than their track record?

post #157 of 306
Quote:

No the original iPhone wasn't 'only $200" upon release in 2007.

Mine retailed for US $599.99 when I purchased it on 'day one'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was $399 for 4GB or $599 for 8GB when it first launched.

Well I guess you can see how much attention I pay to price tags. I guess I fail on both accounts too rich and too dumb.

post #158 of 306
Quote:

It Absolutely Does Not... and by even posting such a thing proves that you've obviously never seen/held a Galaxy SIII.

Anyway... It'd be nice if Apple took a more ergonimically friendly approach to the shape of the 'new iPhone, (much less harsh and flat as Samsung did with the GSIII)...

Maybe something along the lines of this:

Horrible renders, I'd never buy an iPhone that looks plasticky like that. It's too shiny, it lacks equilibrium in its materials, yuck.

And it's too flat.
post #159 of 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Horrible renders, I'd never buy an iPhone that looks plasticky like that. It's too shiny, it lacks equilibrium in its materials, yuck.

Sure... Whatever... Like the current iPhone 4/4s is ANY less 'shiny and lacking equiulibruim in its materials' (WFTH?) - given that its exterior's also made of glass and metal - LOL!

This rendering appears to be little more than a more rounded/ergonimically sound version of the current design with a bit more style.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #160 of 306
This rendering appears to be little more than a more rounded/ergonimically sound version of the current design with a bit more style.

I was gonna say the same thing. The reflection of the photographer's… the heck is that thing called again? Look at the struts; their reflection is curved.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface