or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Downloads of Apple's OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion top 3 million in 4 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Downloads of Apple's OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion top 3 million in 4 days - Page 2

post #41 of 59

I was ready to pull the trigger on the update and then I ran across some stories of people having wi-fi issues with ML.  Has anybody here had problems with losing wi-fi connectivity after the update?

 

http://www.applefansite.com

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Question: When you do a clean install do all your applications need to be reregistered or does Time Machine reload the serial number preferences like it does with Migration tool?

Depends on the application.

 

Some come across, some require re-entering activation codes, some require you to de-activate before you do the upgrade, then re-activate after it's done.

 

Seems to be as much results of individual company's policy as anything else.

post #43 of 59

I'm running Mountain Lion on my 2007 iMac.  It's connected to the internet wirelessly and I haven't had any issues with the connection since the update.

 

So far, I'm really liking Mountain Lion.  Speedy Safari, dictation works very good, fun new screensaver options, the return of 'Save As', Messages, Notification Center and iWork documents synced with iCloud. Very satisfied. Plus it only cost $20!

post #44 of 59
Upgrade worked out well for me so far. I have it on my Retina MacBook Pro but I'm holding of on the Mac Pro for a tiny bit. The only thing which is striking me as odd is that blue throbber progress bar Safari uses when loading pages (it probably wouldn't annoy me as much with a slower connection). And Mountain Lion again disabled that handy little accessibly option for zooming in on a part of the screen. I suppose it probably just moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Look at the Apple support forums, there are lots of scary looking reports. I took the plunge and have had zero problems, so I'm relieved. Mountain Lion is a decent incremental upgrade, with no obvious breakage so far.

The Apple Support Forum will always be filled with lots of scary looking reports. It is a place for the millions of Mac users to get support for whatever problem they've encountered with their OS. I wouldn't use that as the best gauge of Mountain Lion (any more than I would use Microsoft's support systems as a gauge of Windows 8). Mostly, I'd be looking for some big gotchas like were encountered with Lion. And in general, if someone wants to be cautious, it never hurts to wait for 10.x.1 or 10.x.2 (.1 tends to come out very quickly to address some immediate issues and 10.x.2 tends to address more of the stubborn issues).
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #45 of 59

Apple seems to have implemented a "tick-tock" upgrade system, like Intel. Leopard > Snow Leopard, Lion > Mountain Lion. Snow Leopard to Lion involved some major changes under the hood. Lion to Mountain Lion seems like fewer under the hood changes and more polishing. That said, if your machine is running Lion fine, and you can move to Mountain Lion, I think it should be a smooth transition and a no brainer. It was for me.

post #46 of 59

Hi all,

 

I didn't want to start a new thread, but has any of you early adopters tried using Rosetta Stone 3.4.5. RoaringApps doesn't seem to have anything conclusive yet. I can't justify the upgrade to v4 at the moment, but am quite intrigued by the new ML functionality.

 

thanks in advance.

Sam

post #47 of 59

well...not quite seamless.

 

i still receive a 'signature not valid' message on my late 2011 iMac at home. the only reason i was able to download it onto my late 2011 mbp was that i booted up in safe mode, accessed the apple store and purchased/downloaded—and, it took about 8 hours to download. quite franklin below apple's standards.

 

i attempted the same on my home machine, but it didn't work. all i get is the same 'signature not valid' message.

 

i'm told by apple that it's simply busy servers. we'll see.

 

still, a good update. absolutely no problems once i was able to download and install.

 
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

I also have multiple problems with the ATV2 .  It wont wake the mac and often it will simply stop working.  I have to unplug it almost each time I need to use it.  They should put a power button on those things.

 

But what I would love to get is a time capsuled  with an itunes server build in and bigger storage.  I hope Apple upgrade it soon.

 

 

With my Apple TV, I did something funny : out of my four Macs, only my more recent iMac, is capable of Airplay mirroring. It is of little interest, because it is situated on one floor below my TV & Apple TV. However, using iPad Desktop application, I can control it, and observe the result on my TV .....

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


What negative reviews? It is a seamless upgrade to an awesome version.

 

The upgrade went seamlessly, but I'm having lots of problems in daily use.   I've had to reboot three times in as many days - there's something in the new OS that tends to lock up the entire system.    I think it might be Office related, although it also seems to have problems coming out of sleep mode or when I move the computer and it's picking up a different Apple Express (but on the same network).  I never had these problems before.   When it happens, virtually every open app has to be manually force closed.    

 

Also, they removed the Delete key serving as a Previous page function in Safari.  That in itself is no big deal, but it meant that my programmed mouse button that went back a page no longer worked.  But I did find a workaround for that - it turns out that Command, left arrow does the same thing.    But they also removed (I think accidentally, since it's still highlighted as a feature on Apple's web pages) the ability to force fonts and font sizes for web pages (the Appearance preferences).    That's a big loss for me as I can't stand the default fonts (and sizes) on certain generic web pages that I go to often.  They also removed that icon on the right side of the Safari URL window that took you to the top of a website.  I miss that as well.    I can't help but feeling that Apple makes these decisions in an arrogant fashion, like "let's screw everyone who doesn't use HTML5".     

 

In terms of functionality, while it does seem a bit faster in performance (and Safari is a lot faster and smoother), I'm not really seeing much new of relevance to me (improvements in Chinese language handling is not relevant to me), even though I had skipped installing Lion.  I do like the 2-finger swipe in Safari to go back to previous pages.  I guess I like the three finger swipe to get to Dashboard, although I don't use Dashboard often.   (I always thought those Dashboard gadgets should have been able to be placed on the Desktop).      It appears to me that they increased the font size in the Favorites column in the finder and it's looking kind of clunky, but maybe they did that because resolutions are getting higher so everything is getting smaller.    I don't like the new scroll bars, although it is nice that they show page/column numbers when using Office-type applications.    In fact, overall, I think the UI has become kind of dull and out-of-date looking.    I might be in the minority on this, but I don't know why Apple backed away from Aqua.        And while it hasn't changed in this new OS version, Apple has always done a really lousy job in the mini-finder - the finder that you use from within an application.    This is one area where Windows has always done far better than Apple.     

 

At some point in the process, it told me I had to convert my Apple ID so that the username was an email address.   I entered my email address as the new username, but it told me that email address was already being used and directed me to the account page on Apple's website where it showed that email address already linked to my old username.     I still don't know whether iCloud is going to work with my current Apple ID configuration.   This is not the first time Apple has blown this:   they once forced me to stop using my old Apple ID that was linked to an old AOL account - I then created a new Apple ID with the same ID and password, which worked, but now I can't upgrade any of the iPhone apps that I purchased with the AOL account and I can't sign into that account and iTunes doesn't specifically even tell me which apps those are, so I can't even choose to pay for them again or delete them.   

 

So for $20, not a terrible deal if everything had worked, but I think I would have been pissed if I had paid any more and I used to be someone who proclaimed that Apple's major OS upgrades were worth $200.    The system lockups are the most troubling part and this says to me that Apple did not perform appropriate testing or chose to ignore reported bugs in order to meet dates.   Apple's supposed to be better than this.     And, of course, there's no longer a "bug" icon in Safari, so there's no way to report anything (not that Apple ever really read those bug reports anyway.)

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post


With my Apple TV, I did something funny : out of my four Macs, only my more recent iMac, is capable of Airplay mirroring. It is of little interest, because it is situated on one floor below my TV & Apple TV. However, using iPad Desktop application, I can control it, and observe the result on my TV .....

What they include for AirPlay Mirroring seems arbitrary. It seems to be an across the board inclusion of 2011 or newer Macs yet I see no reason what older Macs are missing to make this work. If there is reason for this I'm certainly not seeing it.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

But they also removed (I think accidentally, since it's still highlighted as a feature on Apple's web pages) the ability to force fonts and font sizes for web pages (the Appearance preferences).    That's a big loss for me as I can't stand the default fonts (and sizes) on certain generic web pages that I go to often.

 

Download this small css file and drop it somewhere (mine is in ~/Library/Preferences) and then go to Safari Preferences > Advanced and select this file as a Style sheet. Tweak the zoom level in this file until you're happy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Also, they removed the Delete key serving as a Previous page function in Safari.  That in itself is no big deal, but it meant that my programmed mouse button that went back a page no longer worked.  But I did find a workaround for that - it turns out that Command, left arrow does the same thing...I do like the 2-finger swipe in Safari to go back to previous pages.  I guess I like the three finger swipe to get to Dashboard...

 

With the trackpad gestures, I don't think the keyboard shortcuts are very relevant any more. You mention your programmed mouse button, but you also say you use 2-finger swipes. Are you using a mouse or a trackpad? The trackpad is really much better.

post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I'm running Mountain Lion on my 2007 iMac.  It's connected to the internet wirelessly and I haven't had any issues with the connection since the update.

 

So far, I'm really liking Mountain Lion.  Speedy Safari, dictation works very good, fun new screensaver options, the return of 'Save As', Messages, Notification Center and iWork documents synced with iCloud. Very satisfied. Plus it only cost $20!

Same here - running Mountain Lion on my Mid 2007 iMac.

 

Much snappier than Lion - also loving Safari 6.0

 

£13.99 well spent =D

post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What they include for AirPlay Mirroring seems arbitrary. It seems to be an across the board inclusion of 2011 or newer Macs yet I see no reason what older Macs are missing to make this work. If there is reason for this I'm certainly not seeing it.

 

Not arbitrary at all.  Check this article from Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/mountain-lion-airplay-mirroring-v-airparrot-fight/

 

"The reason, we discovered, is that the feature relies on Intel's QuickSync hardware-accelerated video compression technology. QuickSync is a feature of the integrated graphics built into Intel's Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge series processors."

post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Not arbitrary at all.  Check this article from Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/mountain-lion-airplay-mirroring-v-airparrot-fight/

"The reason, we discovered, is that the feature relies on Intel's QuickSync hardware-accelerated video compression technology. QuickSync is a feature of the integrated graphics built into Intel's Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge series processors."

Thanks for the info. That does explain the unusual divide for most 2011 and new Macs.

I've gotten word that even an MKV container with high-profil 720p being mirrored from ML to an Apple TV, both over WiFi, look great with no noticeably dropped frames. That's pretty impressive since it's not basic A/V streaming that can be buffered as much as needed.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Thanks for the info. That does explain the unusual divide for most 2011 and new Macs.
I've gotten word that even an MKV container with high-profil 720p being mirrored from ML to an Apple TV, both over WiFi, look great with no noticeably dropped frames. That's pretty impressive since it's not basic A/V streaming that can be buffered as much as needed.

 

No problem man.  I haven't tried mirroring any mkvs since I just convert them all and run them to my Apple TV already anyway, but I was streaming the Olympics from justin.tv and fullscreening that and streaming it to the Apple TV made for a shit-tastic slideshow heh.  I wasn't surprised tho since it was already streaming in over my cable internet and sometimes glitchy as it was.  Add being re-streamed into the mix...yeah.

post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Works fine for me (now that I know how to avoid four times download for my 4 Macs at home ...). The only surprise came from OpenOffice .odt opened by Textedit and .doc by Pages. It took me three hours to discover the effect of System Preferences ---> Security Preferences, and how to bypass the general policy for this particular application (incidentally, I moved from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, much better).

Yo umrk_LAB, thanks heaps for the LibreOffice comment, downloaded it and very happy as I was having a few issues with Open O. as well, Ta very much....

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


What negative reviews? It is a seamless upgrade to an awesome version.

Yeah, I've experienced quite the opposite, tons of positive reviews.  My own experience has been fantastic, it's very snappy & stable which is more than I could say for Lion.

post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

 

No problem man.  I haven't tried mirroring any mkvs since I just convert them all and run them to my Apple TV already anyway, but I was streaming the Olympics from justin.tv and fullscreening that and streaming it to the Apple TV made for a shit-tastic slideshow heh.  I wasn't surprised tho since it was already streaming in over my cable internet and sometimes glitchy as it was.  Add being re-streamed into the mix...yeah.

I was bummed to find out airplay didn't work with DVD player but I found a work around by playing DVDs with MPlayer.  Now I think I understand why, it was supper choppy.  Apparently AirPlay is able to hardware accelerate H.264 content but not standard mpeg2...bummer.  Still way cool though!  Finally I can watch hulu while still using my iPad for other stuff!

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Thanks for the info. That does explain the unusual divide for most 2011 and new Macs.
I've gotten word that even an MKV container with high-profil 720p being mirrored from ML to an Apple TV, both over WiFi, look great with no noticeably dropped frames. That's pretty impressive since it's not basic A/V streaming that can be buffered as much as needed.

Per my last post, it does actually in fact somehow accelerate the video playback to make it smooth.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Downloads of Apple's OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion top 3 million in 4 days