or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple seeds new OS X 10.7.5 Lion builds, iCloud Control Panel to developers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple seeds new OS X 10.7.5 Lion builds, iCloud Control Panel to developers

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday seeded new builds of OS X Lion, Lion Server and the Windows-only iCloud Control Panel beta to developers with no known issues.

In the new builds, noted as 11G30 for both OS X Lion and Lion Server, Apple is asking developers to focus on graphics performance and quality as there are no known issues with the release.

Work on the server side is a bit more substantial as developers have been tasked with focusing on Password Server, Profile Manager, Webmail (RoundCube), Server App, System Image Utility, Software Update Server, Web Sharing and Workgroup Manager. No known issues are present in the server build.

width=


iCloud Control Panel

The second seed for version 2.0 of iCloud Control Panel brings a host of new features to the Windows-centric software including consolidation of Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks enablement into a single checkbox and overall stability enhancements.

width=


From the release notes:

This seed build of iCloud Control Panel 2.0 includes all the same features as Seed 1, with the following changes:

  • Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks are now enabled with a single checkbox.

  • Shared Photo Streams can now be explicitly enabled and disabled through the Control Panel.

  • Shared Photo Streams UI in Explorer view has been substantially improved.

  • Addressed an issue where Push Notifications could crash or stop working.

  • Visual enhancements,?improved stability and reliability.


There are a few known issues with the second iCloud Control Panel beta:

  • The seed is available in English only

  • If you sign out of the control panel and sign in as another iCloud account, you may need to restart your computer to use Shared Photo?Streams with your second iCloud account.

  • If you are unable to sign out of the iCloud Control Panel, open the task manager and stop the ApplePhotoStreams.exe process.

  • Portrait JPG images may create low-resolution versions and not have proper orientation.


width=



Both the OS X Lion and Lion server seeds as well as the iCloud Control Panel are available for developer download today.

post #2 of 16

"Apple is abandoning Lion!"

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Apple is abandoning Lion!"

 

Yeah, and is there any way I can run Mountain Lion on my non-supported Mac!!!???? I need this. Dirty rat bastards, Apple.

post #4 of 16

I'm confused. Isn't this a first for Apple? I've not heard of them updating the old OS version to a new minor version after putting out a newer OS. I know they've done security updates in the past, but not a new version number.

NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
Reply
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
Reply
post #5 of 16
Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post
I'm confused. Isn't this a first for Apple? I've not heard of them updating the old OS version to a new minor version after putting out a newer OS. I know they've done security updates in the past, but not a new version number.

 

They've never released a new developer build for an old OS' update after the release of the new one.

 

They released 10.6.8 after Lion came out.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

Yeah, and is there any way I can run Mountain Lion on my non-supported Mac!!!???? I need this. Dirty rat bastards, Apple.

 

What?  If your Mac isn't supported for Mountain Lion then run Lion.  If your mac is so old that it won't run Lion then it certainly won't run Mountain Lion.  Also, if you can afford to buy the iOS devices that make it necessary or at least a good thing to use iCloud, then you can certainly afford a cheap new Mac or a second hand one that can run Lion.  A mini is only a hundred bucks more than the smallest iPad.  

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

What?  If your Mac isn't supported for Mountain Lion then run Lion.  If your mac is so old that it won't run Lion then it certainly won't run Mountain Lion.  Also, if you can afford to buy the iOS devices that make it necessary or at least a good thing to use iCloud, then you can certainly afford a cheap new Mac or a second hand one that can run Lion.  A mini is only a hundred bucks more than the smallest iPad.  

My poor old late-2006 MBP with 2GB of RAM, that is working flawlessly probably couldn't run Snow Lion if I tried to make it do so. So, I need to upgrade it as well as I'm way overdue for a new iPhone. I was putting off buying an iPad, so I'm likely to bust for one of those soon. And I'm not even trying to chase the bleeding edge... just stay technically relevant.

 

My iMac's on Snow Lion and from what I've heard Mountain Lion doesn't have too many bugs.. at least any that are game stoppers.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #8 of 16
I have a late-2006 iMac that was CRAWLING under Lion. It was so unusable, I decided to downgrade back to Snow Leopard. I've NEVER downgraded Mac OSes before, but I just couldn't use my computer and was convinced that my old iMac's brain pan was just too underpowered to handle all that Lion was throwing at it.

Anyway, after downgrading, I realized I'd have to go all the way back up to Lion anyway because I'd already committed to iCloud, and Snow Leopard has zero support for iCloud. Once back up to Lion, I was BLOWN AWAY!! Everything was LIGHTNING FAST! It was like having a brand new computer!

The reason? NO Flash!

Once I reinstalled the latest Flash, MOLASSES! Everything I clicked on (including tasks completely outside of a web browser) induced a spinning beach ball, even with Click-to-Flash installed. Completely uninstalled Flash and haven't looked back.

Steve Jobs was totally right: Flash SUCKS!

Unless you absolutely NEED Flash, I'd suggest you completely remove it from your late-2006 MBP (or any Mac for that matter) and see if your system doesn't SCREAM.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They've never released a new developer build for an old OS' update after the release of the new one.

They released 10.6.8 after Lion came out.

I thought they updated Leopard a couple times after Snow Leopard came out. No?

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

What?  If your Mac isn't supported for Mountain Lion then run Lion.  If your mac is so old that it won't run Lion then it certainly won't run Mountain Lion.  Also, if you can afford to buy the iOS devices that make it necessary or at least a good thing to use iCloud, then you can certainly afford a cheap new Mac or a second hand one that can run Lion.  A mini is only a hundred bucks more than the smallest iPad.  

It was a sarcastic response to Tallest Skill's sarcastic post. But you know those types are out there. MT should run on the original Mac according to them and Apple is evil for not making it so.
post #11 of 16

I was going to Update my 10.7.4 to 10.8, since most of my main apps are 10.8 ready. Now I see this 10.7.5. I'll call Apple Care tomorrow and ask them if that 10.7.5 is mostly for those whose hardware can't run 10.8. If yes, then I'll probably do my 10.8 Upgrade. 

 

When I first this article's headline, my thought was that it didn't look like a vote of confidence for 10.8… I suspect that some of the less tech savvy users might be confused by that too…

 

My plan is to save the 10.8 Installer on USB Thumb Drive and a Partition on my External SuperDuper Clone HD. I'll have 2 Clones + Time Machine!  

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

 

My plan is to save the 10.8 Installer on USB Thumb Drive and a Partition on my External SuperDuper Clone HD. I'll have 2 Clones + Time Machine!  

That's definitely one of the things I like about the Mac environment -- so much easier to install and switch between multiple OS versions than to try similar trick with my windows machines.

 

And on original topic of any prior OS release overlaps:

 

Panther 10.3
10.3.0  Oct 24, 2003
...
10.3.9  Apr 15, 2005  (Final)
 

Tiger 10.4
10.4.0  Apr 29, 2005

...
10.4.10  Jun 20, 2007
10.4.11  Nov 14, 2007  (Final)
 

Leopard 10.5
10.5.0  Oct 26, 2007  (overlapped previous 10.4.11)
...
10.5.8  Aug 5, 2009  (Final)

Snow Leopard 10.6
10.6.0  Aug 28, 2009
...
10.6.8  Jun 23, 2011
10.6.8 v1.1  Jul 25, 2011  (Final)

Lion 10.7
10.7.0  Jul 20, 2011  (overlapped, or not, previous 10.6.8 depending on if you count the v1.1)

...

10.7.4  May 9, 2012
10.7.5  Announced Jul 30, to arrive ?

Mountain Lion
10.8.0  Jul 25, 2012  (maybe overlaps, precedes final Lion?)

 

So, a few cases of overlap where a previous final release came out a week or two after the release of the new OS.  But so far these have been a 'one last clean-up, fix-it-up' release for the prior OS.


Edited by Bruce Young - 7/30/12 at 11:06pm
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
post #13 of 16

I remember a lot of people with PowerPC Macs having a significant slowdown going from Tiger to Leopard.  So much of a slowdown that, for many PowerPC users, Tiger was the "last" version of Mac OS X.  Combine that with Classic support and Tiger was a good, speedy send off for PowerPCs.

 

I'm guessing machines that had a huge slowdown for Lion should roll back to Snow Leopard and live without iCloud.  iCloud is fun for those that need it and all, and all my Apple systems can run ML, but I don't use iCloud at all.  I've had my own system of keeping data accessible and divided among my devices for decades and it works for me.

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I remember a lot of people with PowerPC Macs having a significant slowdown going from Tiger to Leopard.  So much of a slowdown that, for many PowerPC users, Tiger was the "last" version of Mac OS X.  Combine that with Classic support and Tiger was a good, speedy send off for PowerPCs.

 

I'm guessing machines that had a huge slowdown for Lion should roll back to Snow Leopard and live without iCloud.  iCloud is fun for those that need it and all, and all my Apple systems can run ML, but I don't use iCloud at all.  I've had my own system of keeping data accessible and divided among my devices for decades and it works for me.

What system do you use? I've been experimenting with SugarSync, SkyDrive, and iCloud, and I'm not really thrilled about any of them thus far.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

What system do you use? I've been experimenting with SugarSync, SkyDrive, and iCloud, and I'm not really thrilled about any of them thus far.

 

1. Local Time Machine backups to a physical individual external disk for both my laptop and my desktop.  My iDevices sync wirelessly with my laptop and backup locally to my laptop. 

2. I have an external hard disk connected to my Airport Express, so I can use it as a "shared" volume for anything I need to share between machines.

3. Drop box works decently for things I need to use outside my home.

4. I don't need to share bookmarks and browser tabs between my iPhone, iPad, and my Macs.  Each one has bookmarks and tabs open for what I use them for.

5. When taking pictures with my iPhone, I tend to take pictures I don't want to keep in iPhoto or in an archive.  For example, I tend to multiple pictures at a time, just to make sure I got the 1 shot I need.  Othertimes, I take picture of things in stores (item itself, shelf tag, what you will) to research on the Internet later.  These kinds of pictures are something I don't need auto-downloaded to my systems as iCloud would like to do.

If I need a picture from my phone on one of my Macs, I simply connect the cord and grab it via Image Capture.

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

 

1. Local Time Machine backups to a physical individual external disk for both my laptop and my desktop.  My iDevices sync wirelessly with my laptop and backup locally to my laptop. 

2. I have an external hard disk connected to my Airport Express, so I can use it as a "shared" volume for anything I need to share between machines.

3. Drop box works decently for things I need to use outside my home.

4. I don't need to share bookmarks and browser tabs between my iPhone, iPad, and my Macs.  Each one has bookmarks and tabs open for what I use them for.

5. When taking pictures with my iPhone, I tend to take pictures I don't want to keep in iPhoto or in an archive.  For example, I tend to multiple pictures at a time, just to make sure I got the 1 shot I need.  Othertimes, I take picture of things in stores (item itself, shelf tag, what you will) to research on the Internet later.  These kinds of pictures are something I don't need auto-downloaded to my systems as iCloud would like to do.

If I need a picture from my phone on one of my Macs, I simply connect the cord and grab it via Image Capture.

1. I use Time Machine as well, though I need to get another external disk (my 1 TB Time Capsule is full). I've been synching my iDevices to iCloud, but I'd never had a problem synching them locally (nor have I noticed a huge benefit to synching through iCloud based on my usage).

 

2. I only have the one machine (an iMac), but a shared drive attached to an AirPort is a good solution.

 

3. iDisk worked GREAT for me for things outside my home. I (finally) understand the security benefits of the iCloud approach, but I still don't appreciate that Apple completely removed iDisk functionality, especially without putting a worthy successor in its place before stopping the service. SugarSync, Dropbox, and the like, are, like you said, decent, but none (to my limited experience) are as smoothly integrated as iDisk was.

 

4. and 5. aren't big issues for me either.

 

My main thing has been my desire to have access to various documents outside my home. I've been taking various night classes for the past few years (can't have enough degrees) and have been (for the past year) attempting to do the majority of my school work (primarily papers and such) on an iPad, with some editing in Pages on my Mac. For the most part, this was easily accomplished because I worked on my documents out of my iDisk and the iDisk app gave me access to everything from my iDevices while on the go. SugarSync, et al., essentially do the same thing, I know. I'm just not happy about spreading my data to more servers.

 

Documents in the Cloud is impressively fast, but still clunky and awkward. I'm just about in the market for a new Mac (my iMac is 6 years old), but I've been on the fence about either getting a new iMac with lots of screen real estate (relying on my iPad on the go) or a MacBook Pro (and maybe a large external monitor at home).

 

I'd really hoped that Apple would have laid the foundation for the iPad to have become more of a productivity tool by now, but iCloud, and particularly the seriously hobbled DitC, prove otherwise. Very disappointing. The mobile iWork iOS apps just aren't powerful enough and mobile Office for iOS seems more fantasy than inevitability. Though a quad-core iMac has been a dream of mine for a few years now, I'm thinking the better option might still be a MBP.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple seeds new OS X 10.7.5 Lion builds, iCloud Control Panel to developers