or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple expected to unveil next iPhone at September 12 event
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple expected to unveil next iPhone at September 12 event

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Apple reportedly plans to announce its next-generation iPhone with a taller 4-inch display and a redesigned exterior at an as-yet-unannounced event on Sept. 12.

The well-connected Jim Dalrymple of The Loop issued a simple one-word "Yep" response to iMore's original Monday report which claimed Apple will hold a special event on Wednesday, Sept. 12 to launch the next-generation iPhone. He joins additional reports from iMore, All Things D, and others, all citing anonymous sources.

Apple's next iPhone is expected to feature a slightly taller 4-inch display, marking the first change to the iPhone's screen size since the handset debuted in 2007. As the company is believed to be ramping up production of its next iPhone ahead of a September debut, various parts claimed to be from Apple's next iPhone have leaked online, showing the taller screen, along with a smaller dock connector and a headphone jack moved to the bottom of the device.

Some of the leaked components also show a new space on the rear of the device next to the camera lens and flash. This has been interpreted by some to be a new rear-facing microphone that could improve sound quality for recorded videos.

The back panel of the device also sports a two-tone look, with black at the top and bottom of the device and a lighter shade in the middle where the Apple logo can be found. On the front, the parts show a centered FaceTime camera located above the earpiece, while the home button remains below the display.

prototype 1
Source: iLab Factory


Apple's next iPhone is also expected to add 4G LTE connectivity, which debuted in the new iPad earlier this year. Some reports have also claimed that Apple plans to add a new near-field communications chip that would allow for e-wallet transactions and other services through the new Passbook application in iOS 6.

If the leaks and rumors prove true, Apple is set to unveil on Sept. 12 the first major change to the iPhone design since mid-2010, when the iPhone 4 was launched. Last year's iPhone 4S features an external design largely similar to its predecessor.



In its report about Apple's component stock up for expected fall product launches, All Things D noted its sources have confirmed an earlier rumor from iMore that said Apple is planning on holding a special event on Wednesday, Sept. 12. Sources from The Verge concur, though they also don't know exactly what to expect from the event.

"Apple is currently planning an event for that week," the report said, "and while we haven?t yet confirmed its focus, history suggests it will indeed be the new iPhone. One thing?s for certain, though: Apple is ramping up for a big fall product cycle."

prototype 2


The first report from iMore claimed the Cupertino-based company would use the event as an opportunity to debut a next-generation iPhone, iPad mini and iPod nano, but nothing has been solidified and Apple has yet to issue an official statement.

All three reports come on the heels of pictures showing an alleged fully-assembled iPhone housing put together from "leaked" parts thought to be sourced from Chinese suppliers.
post #2 of 49
About Time... Now let's see if Apple can show us once again that it can still 'Think Different'.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 49

FYI: there is a typo in the title:

 

'confrim' vs. confirm

post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
...Apple is planning on holding a special event next week on Sept. 12. [...] don't know what exactly is being planned for next Wednesday.

I'm fine with the typos and certain types of ambiguity but this is over the top and needs to be corrected.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

About Time... Now let's see if Apple can show us once again that it can still 'Think Different'.

Enough with these lame talking points. For once how about listening to what Steve Jobs has actually said:

"I don't think it's good that Apple's perceived as different. I think it's important that Apple's perceived as much better. And, in fact, if being different is essential to doing that then we have to do that. But if we could be much better without being different then that would be fine with me.

I want to be much better. I don't care about being different. We'll have to be different in some ways to be much better, but that's the prize — wouldn't you agree?"

Edited by SolipsismX - 7/30/12 at 2:22pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 49

"Apple is planning on holding a special event next week on Sept. 12."

 

Sept 12 doesn't happen until well into September. Next week would reach no further than Aug 4th.

post #6 of 49

Perhaps Apple has innovated a way to make Sept 12th occur next week?   lol.gif

post #7 of 49

Jim Dalrymple of THE LOOP just put the lock on this with usually curt, "Yep."

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Enough with these lame talking points. For once how about listening to what Steve Jobs has actually said:
"I don't think it's good that Apple's perceived as different. I think it's important that Apple's perceived as much better. And, in fact, if being different is essential to doing that then we have to do that. But if we could be much better without being different then that would be fine with me.
I want to be much better. I don't care about being different. We'll have to be different in some ways to be much better, but that's the prize — wouldn't you agree?"

 

That pretty much captures the difference between being at the helm of a company at 25 and at 45.  At 25, you still see yourself as an outsider with something to prove.  You're so focused on being different from the generation before you and setting yourself apart that you lose sight of what really makes a company successful: being better.  Sometimes that comes via unique ideas, sometimes it comes via the refinement of existing ideas, sometimes it even comes from shaping the experience surrounding your products.  But it should always be the main motivation, not difference alone.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

... I would love to see a permanent 11 month release schedule in fact since that would be more in line with the 20 month full upgrade credit most carriers offer. ...

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

post #10 of 49

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't done their usual legal pull-down of the "leak" images yet… 

 

 

I do have one question regarding the images at iLab Factory though… 

 

Look at the large photo used in this AI article. It shows a closeup of the +/- volume buttons… Note the direction/alignment of the minus button. The minus line clearly runs front to back right?

 

Now, look at the next gallery photo here:

 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/29/3200086/ilab-factory-iphone-5-pictures#3605886

 

It shows the iPhone lying flat. Look again at the direction/alignment of the minus button… the line clearly runs top to bottom, not front to back. Review the previous two photos in the gallery and the minus button is front to back in both of those.

 

I'm not saying this is faked, but… can someone explain the discrepancy here?

post #11 of 49

What about the iPod Touch?

post #12 of 49
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
I'm surprised that Apple hasn't done their usual legal pull-down of the "leak" images yet… 

 

They haven't done that for over three years. It proves that the images were real. They've learned not to be so overt.

post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

And then it would be on top of the iPad and then in December and November when no products are typically launched.

I said last year that the Autumn release seems likely because the iPod demand is waning and they need a product for the holiday season. On top of that, Summer isn't a great time to launch most products. That said, if this rumoured $199 iPad Mini was on the table back then — which i don't think will happen at that price — then I would have stated that is an ideal wedge to prop up the drop in iPod sales for the holiday quarter as its cost is low enough.

Every 12 months around the Autumn or switch the iPad and iPhone so that the iPhone is in the Spring, but that would mean two Christmas seasons with the same iPhone unless they brought out a new model that could counter that view in the market. Still, I think that's unlikely.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

About Time... Now let's see if Apple can show us once again that it can still 'Think Different'.

 

That should be reserved for Scamsung and everyone else that can't seem to innovate on their own without using Apple as their R&D department... 

post #15 of 49
Two or three events per year. So 3 days of the facts and 362 we get to hear wild speculation and rumors. New 7" iPad will actually be the new iPod Touch. If it isn't why would anyone pay $179 for the current Touch design?
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

About Time... Now let's see if Apple can show us once again that it can still 'Think Different'.

 

Stop insulting our intelligence, and pretending you haven't already made up your mind about what you're going to say about what they will show, regardless of what it is. Pretending you plan to look at it with an open mind is a pathetic lie, based on your posting history. And Apple isn't in a position to prove anything to anyone, the latest things we've seen from them (Retina iPad, Retina MBP, iOS6 preview) have shown that they're still at the very top of their game, with the best tablet on the planet, and the best laptop on the planet, technically and otherwise, both in a league of their own. Apple doesn't need to 'show' you, specifically, anything. It just needs to continue to make awesome, well designed and well thought out products. 

post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

What about the iPod Touch?

Replaced by the iPad 'Mini'?

We'll See...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'm fine with the typos and certain types of ambiguity but this is over the top and needs to be corrected.
Enough with these lame talking points. For once how about listening to what Steve Jobs has actually said:
"I don't think it's good that Apple's perceived as different. I think it's important that Apple's perceived as much better. And, in fact, if being different is essential to doing that then we have to do that. But if we could be much better without being different then that would be fine with me.
I want to be much better. I don't care about being different. We'll have to be different in some ways to be much better, but that's the prize — wouldn't you agree?"

 

You know what DaHarder meant. When exactly did Apple stop using the phrase "Think Different" as their corporate moto or did you forget about that part of their corporate history.

post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

 

I don't know where you live but would you rather queue up in Sept when the weather is still nice or Oct when it's getting colder?

 

Sept release gives them a few more weeks to get it in the shops before the holiday buying season and gets it into the shops at the start of the new college year.

post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Stop insulting our intelligence

 

LMAO

post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You know what DaHarder meant. When exactly did Apple stop using the phrase "Think Different" as their corporate moto or did you forget about that part of their corporate history.

It was a slogan, like Diamonds Are Forever. Guess what? Diamonds will not last forever. Is Folgers really good to the last drop? It's not good on the first drop in my experience.

BTW, I believe that slogan came out at MacWorld in 1997 and it was soon after that at WWDC in 1997 that Jobs clarified is goal for Apple.


If you're falling for a marketing slogan, especially one that was canned almost 15 years ago back in 1998, then you need to find out why you're holding onto to something as petty as a marketing slogan instead of focusing on the term philosophy and actions of a company, their employees and products.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't know where you live but would you rather queue up in Sept when the weather is still nice or Oct when it's getting colder?

Sept release gives them a few more weeks to get it in the shops before the holiday buying season and gets it into the shops at the start of the new college year.

I'd expect announce and pre-order on or about the 12th. Shipping/arrival in Daharder's basement/command center in early Oct; same goes for in store availability.

Oct is a fresh Quarter.

And it's golf in shorts till mid-December here.

Edit: Does Daharder's channel Cartman? "Mom!!!! Poop!!!!!!!!"
Edited by ChristophB - 7/30/12 at 5:38pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

iPod touch sales have steadily declined and although a 4" touch with a faster CPU may revive sales to a degree, they really don'y impact iPhone buyers.

I'd buy a 128GB or 256GB touch. I just need more space - music alone above 100GB.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


I'd buy a 128GB or 256GB touch. I just need more space - music alone above 100GB.

 

 

Good luck with that.  Or with Apple including an SD slot to make it expandable.

post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post


Good luck with that.  Or with Apple including an SD slot to make it expandable.

Reckon I'll stick with The Classic[[s]] then. Remember a year or so ago when its demise was predicted as a certainty?

Edit: Sorry for the double brackets. This new editor sucks harder than Daharder's trolling.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


Replaced by the iPad 'Mini'?
We'll See...

When it does come out promise us that you will only buy one until you determine that is not fraught with problems and defects. Only then, if it is free of light leaks, manufacturing irregularities and software glitches should you purchase them for your multiple family members.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


I'd expect announce and pre-order on or about the 12th. Shipping/arrival in Daharder's basement/command center in early Oct; same goes for in store availability.
Oct is a fresh Quarter.
And it's golf in shorts till mid-December here.
Edit: Does Daharder's channel Cartman? "Mom!!!! Poop!!!!!!!!"

 

If people are holding off buying until the new iPhone is released they might want to get some of the sales into the Sept quarter to increase the numbers. That way when they make their earnings call in Oct they can report sales off to a flying start. Just a thought. 

post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It was a slogan, like Diamonds Are Forever. Guess what? Diamonds will not last forever. Is Folgers really good to the last drop? It's not good on the first drop in my experience.
BTW, I believe that slogan came out at MacWorld in 1997 and it was soon after that at WWDC in 1997 that Jobs clarified is goal for Apple. If you're falling for a marketing slogan, especially one that was canned almost 15 years ago back in 1998, then you need to find out why you're holding onto to something as petty as a marketing slogan instead of focusing on the term philosophy and actions of a company, their employees and products.

 

Why what's their moto today "We're not in it for the profit"

 

I honestly don't know how so many people can be so naive on this subject. I think you must have been brainwashed or something by following Apple for so long that you've lost all sense of reality.

 

I'm not making an anti-Apple statement. Just making the point that they are in it for the money just like every other company. You can still be in it for the money and make great products. Apple is no different to Bang & Olufsen or BMW or Rolls Royce. They all strive to build the best products but ultimately they are still looking to make a profit.


Edited by Shaun, UK - 7/30/12 at 7:04pm
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'd expect announce and pre-order on or about the 12th. Shipping/arrival in Daharder's basement/command center in early Oct; same goes for in store availability.

Oct is a fresh Quarter.

And it's golf in shorts till mid-December here.

Edit: Does Daharder's channel Cartman? "Mom!!!! Poop!!!!!!!!"

If people are holding off buying until the new iPhone is released they might want to get some of the sales into the Sept quarter to increase the numbers. That way when they make their earnings call in Oct they can report sales off to a flying start. Just a thought. 

Interesting thought. I wonder how much (if at all) companies adjust product releases to affect quarterly results.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Interesting thought. I wonder how much (if at all) companies adjust product releases to affect quarterly results.

Shipped = sold, even for Apple. I'd be surprised if one unit shipped before 10/1 00:00:00000000000000000001 NZST? But I'm just another guy on the interwebs.
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Interesting thought. I wonder how much (if at all) companies adjust product releases to affect quarterly results.

Shipped = sold, even for Apple. I'd be surprised if one unit shipped before 10/1 00:00:00000000000000000001 NZST? But I'm just another guy on the interwebs.

I agree - it was more of a general question than just about this product launch.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

If people are holding off buying until the new iPhone is released they might want to get some of the sales into the Sept quarter to increase the numbers. That way when they make their earnings call in Oct they can report sales off to a flying start. Just a thought. 

Sales dip in September by the dozen or so people that read this site? The bulk of the consumership doesn't think in terms of dev or release cycles or what the Street starts and stops by. Quarters and fiscals are for the ANALysts and measurable periods.. Apple may pronounce they care about quality and design first...... but they also care about shareholders and perceived value as well. Tied for first, I say.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I agree - it was more of a general question than just about this product launch.

Used to work for the (then) number one PC manufacturer on earth. Rumor had it they'd load up trucks and send them off one day only to have the return a few days later to unload. Oddly those send offs coincided with the last day of the quater or fiscal. Coincidence? I think NOT!!!!!
Edited by ChristophB - 7/30/12 at 7:47pm
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Jim Dalrymple of THE LOOP just put the lock on this with usually curt, "Yep."

And yet given that we are still out six weeks out, even he could be wrong

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

I suspect that is more what he is thinking. Personally I think they are going to stick with the fall.

As for the carries don't be shocked to see them moving to more like 22-24 months and no more of this going halfsies.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #36 of 49
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
And yet given that we are still out six weeks out, even he could be wrong

 

And until we get the invites the Monday before the Wednesday before, everyone is wrong.

post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


Interesting thought. I wonder how much (if at all) companies adjust product releases to affect quarterly results.

 

It's definitely a consideration for publically-listed companies.

post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


And then it would be on top of the iPad and then in December and November when no products are typically launched.
I said last year that the Autumn release seems likely because the iPod demand is waning and they need a product for the holiday season. On top of that, Summer isn't a great time to launch most products. That said, if this rumoured $199 iPad Mini was on the table back then — which i don't think will happen at that price — then I would have stated that is an ideal wedge to prop up the drop in iPod sales for the holiday quarter as its cost is low enough.
Every 12 months around the Autumn or switch the iPad and iPhone so that the iPhone is in the Spring, but that would mean two Christmas seasons with the same iPhone unless they brought out a new model that could counter that view in the market. Still, I think that's unlikely.

 

I also feel that the iPad Mini will not be priced at $199 - that would just kill the iTouch. And killing the iTouch doesn't make sense to me either. Instead, I think they will either price it at $299 or they will drop the iTouch to $149 and price the iPad Mini at $249.

post #39 of 49

.


Edited by crazi4apple - 7/30/12 at 10:58pm
post #40 of 49

yep, still hate the 2-tone or whatever the back panel is.  Every time i see these images just re-affirms how much i think it sucks.  Let's hope this is just a design option mock-up.

 

Addition:

Just as an observation.  Seems like if they're going to make a new design update, they would have designed something that was a bit more radically different than the previous design.

Of course the 3G and 3GS were not much of a change from the original iPhone but it sure seemed radically different.  This current rumored design seems just too similar to the iP4 and 4S.  Really the only major differences are the back panel and the dock connector.  The overall shape is identical, maybe a hair thinner.  Let's hope it's at least lighter or closer to the weight of the 3G(S) models.  The current iPhone is a brick.

 

I guess it makes not difference to me.  I normally don't update until the hardware is no longer supported by the firmware.  So that will probably be another 2 years for me.


Edited by antkm1 - 7/31/12 at 3:05am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple expected to unveil next iPhone at September 12 event