or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury selected for Apple and Samsung patent trial
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jury selected for Apple and Samsung patent trial

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
The Apple v. Samsung trial has its jury after a day of whittling down the pool yielded ten jurors who will hear arguments and decide on what is being called one of the most important patent cases in recent U.S. history.

Potential jurors were bombarded with a variety of questions on Monday including queries into what devices they own and whether they work for a company associated with the trial, reports CNET. In the end seven men and three women were selected to hear the case.

Because the the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose is near Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, it was possible that prospective jurors would work for the company and two potentials were ultimately excused as one worked for Apple and the other for Google, which is based in Mountain View, Calif. While not specifically on trial, Google's Android operating system is associated with the case and employees of the internet search giant could be biased toward Samsung.

Presiding Judge Lucy Koh also presented her own questions, asking whether jurors knew any Apple or Samsung employees, read any books about the parties, owned stock in either company or had strong feelings about the case which has received fairly wide coverage in the mainstream media. CNET points out that Samsung attorney William Price stressed the last point and compared jury bias to watching a referee make a call against their favorite sports team.

"If it's against your team you say 'that's ridiculous: I saw it clearly, it was a charge!'" Williams said, alluding to a basketball foul. "Because you're already leaning one way, you see things differently."


Illustration of Samsung products before and after the introduction of Apple's iPhone.


Apple first filed suit against Samsung in April of 2011 for allegedly copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad which sparked a worldwide legal battle that now spans across courts in ten countries.

In the ensuing months an escalation of claims and counter-claims bloated the Apple v. Samsung case to unwieldy levels. Judge Koh ordered a culling of assertions and in May the claims stood at 16 patents, six trademarks, five "trade dress" claims, and an antitrust case, with 37 products accused of violations. A second winnowing phase occurred a week later and got the case down to a more manageable scope. Judge Koh refused to bring a bloated case to trial saying, "I think that's cruel and unusual punishment to a jury, so I'm not willing to do it. If you're going to trial in July, this is not going to be acceptable."

In an effort to bring some resolution to the dispute, the two companies' executives, including Apple CEO Tim Cook, participated in mediation talks before the California jury trial began but the meetings were ineffective.

The jury will hear opening remarks from both parties on Tuesday and Judge Koh estimates the evidence portion of the trial could conclude as soon as August 17 but believes an August 20 or 21 date is more likely. Following the presentation of witness testimony the jury will deliberate and render a verdict.
post #2 of 64
"Because you're already leaning one way, you see things differently."

 

Flash! Anyone with any bias of any sort is biased toward Apple, as evidenced by the 'Crazy Ones' speech! More to follow!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #3 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it was possible that perspective jurors would be associated with the company.

 

 

It was ridiculous the first time.  This time it's just pathetic.

post #4 of 64

American Company, American Judge, American Jury. I think I know which way this trial is going to go.

post #5 of 64
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
American Company, American Judge, American Jury. I think I know which way this trial is going to go.

 

You need to be very careful here.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

American Company, American Judge, American Jury. I think I know which way this trial is going to go.
You continue to make yourself look like a fool whenever you open your mouth.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

American Company, American Judge, American Jury. I think I know which way this trial is going to go.


Bullsh!t Shaun.  Samsung being an overseas company figured it could get away with copying and essentially litigate it to death.  They got to be making tons of money in their smartphone business not because they actually made a better product, but because they road off the coattails of Apple.  There are smug-faced executives at Samsung right now cracking up about how they've been playing Apple through the courts, all the while raking in their iClone cash.  Whatever money they have to pay should they lose, will be chump-change compared to the money they made already.  This ruling is to send a message to the other players to think twice before they make an iClone.  Talk about "patenting rectangles" is just childish rants when you (and other fandroids) have no real content to debate.

So get off your shaky soapbox.  You want other people to copy and profit from your hard work, you go right ahead and be happy.  Seems like you're the one that will scream "consumer choice will be harmed" when in fact if Samsung loses, the consumer will win in the long term because Samsung will actually have to create their own stuff.  Case closed.

This isn't about the money.  Heck, Steve Jobs even said so after Schmitdt tried to bribe his way out of the hole he made.  SJ had zero interest in getting paid money, just to have Google/iClone makers to stop stealing his stuff. 

post #8 of 64

I made it on the jury after feigning as some luddite who's never even used an iPod and still writes letters with a typewriter.  They fell for it.  I'll be secretly wearing a Steve Jobs t-shirt when the foreman reads the guilty verdict.  Samsung is going down!

post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I made it on the jury after feigning as some luddite who's never even used an iPod and still writes letters with a typewriter.  They fell for it.  I'll be secretly wearing a Steve Jobs t-shirt when the foreman reads the guilty verdict.  Samsung is going down!

The typical empaneled jury - "So you're saying it's not flat?"

Edit: Didn't mean for this to sound like I was describing you. I picked up on the /s.
Edited by ChristophB - 7/30/12 at 5:51pm
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


Bullsh!t Shaun.  Samsung being an overseas company figured it could get away with copying and essentially litigate it to death.  They got to be making tons of money in their smartphone business not because they actually made a better product, but because they road off the coattails of Apple.  There are smug-faced executives at Samsung right now cracking up about how they've been playing Apple through the courts, all the while raking in their iClone cash.  Whatever money they have to pay should they lose, will be chump-change compared to the money they made already.  This ruling is to send a message to the other players to think twice before they make an iClone.  Talk about "patenting rectangles" is just childish rants when you (and other fandroids) have no real content to debate.


So get off your shaky soapbox.  You want other people to copy and profit from your hard work, you go right ahead and be happy.  Seems like you're the one that will scream "consumer choice will be harmed" when in fact if Samsung loses, the consumer will win in the long term because Samsung will actually have to create their own stuff.  Case closed.


This isn't about the money.  Heck, Steve Jobs even said so after Schmitdt tried to bribe his way out of the hole he made.  SJ had zero interest in getting paid money, just to have Google/iClone makers to stop stealing his stuff. 

This is a classic tactic. Since the odds are in Apple's favour it's just a way to dismiss what is likely to happen as being an unfair. He acts as if Samsung will fly over people that speak no English, have no idea about American law, and that Apple's lawyers will just give cocky nods back and forth to the judge and jury.

It makes you wonder about the psychology of someone that would brand an entire country, their people and their legal system as being unfair and racist without the possibility of due process.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

You need to be very careful here.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post


You continue to make yourself look like a fool whenever you open your mouth.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


Bullsh!t Shaun.  Samsung being an overseas company figured it could get away with copying and essentially litigate it to death.  They got to be making tons of money in their smartphone business not because they actually made a better product, but because they road off the coattails of Apple.  There are smug-faced executives at Samsung right now cracking up about how they've been playing Apple through the courts, all the while raking in their iClone cash.  Whatever money they have to pay should they lose, will be chump-change compared to the money they made already.  This ruling is to send a message to the other players to think twice before they make an iClone.  Talk about "patenting rectangles" is just childish rants when you (and other fandroids) have no real content to debate.

So get off your shaky soapbox.  You want other people to copy and profit from your hard work, you go right ahead and be happy.  Seems like you're the one that will scream "consumer choice will be harmed" when in fact if Samsung loses, the consumer will win in the long term because Samsung will actually have to create their own stuff.  Case closed.

This isn't about the money.  Heck, Steve Jobs even said so after Schmitdt tried to bribe his way out of the hole he made.  SJ had zero interest in getting paid money, just to have Google/iClone makers to stop stealing his stuff. 

 

No doubt you're the same people who said the British Judge who dismissed Apples' claim a few days ago was either stupid, biased, corrupt or incompetent.

 

You don't like it when someone says the same thing about an American Judge do you. HYPOCRITES.

post #12 of 64

I wonder how they were able to find someone who never used an Apple or Samsung product in that area. It they did then that person must have been living in a cave!

post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


This is a classic tactic. Since the odds are in Apple's favour it's just a way to dismiss what is likely to happen as being an unfair. He acts as if Samsung will fly over people that speak no English, have no idea about American law, and that Apple's lawyers will just give cocky nods back and forth to the judge and jury.
It makes you wonder about the psychology of someone that would brand an entire country, their people and their legal system as being unfair and racist without the possibility of due process.

Wasn't there talk here on an older thread that Judge Koh is of Korean descent and that it's plausible that she may favor her home country's company¿

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post



No doubt you're the same people who said the British Judge who dismissed Apples' claim a few days ago was either stupid, biased, corrupt or incompetent.

You don't like it when someone says the same thing about an American Judge do you. HYPOCRITES

god of UK patent justice?
post #15 of 64
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
No doubt you're the same people who said the British Judge who dismissed Apples' claim a few days ago was either stupid, biased, corrupt or incompetent.

 

You don't like it when someone says the same thing about an American Judge do you. HYPOCRITES.

 

Yes, we're "hypocrites" for thinking that a terrible decision was a terrible decision. It's obviously part of our deep-seeded hatred for the crown and continued resentment that we weren't handed all of the British North America holdings in 1789.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Wasn't there talk here on an older thread that Judge Koh is of Korean descent and that it's plausible that she may favor her home country's company¿

There probably was and it's just as shortsighted and sad as what Shaun is claiming.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Yes, we're "hypocrites" for thinking that a terrible decision was a terrible decision. It's obviously part of our deep-seeded hatred for the crown and continued resentment that we weren't handed all of the British North America holdings in 1789.


seeing as how you're a global moderator and all, is this the official appleinsider position?

"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Wasn't there talk here on an older thread that Judge Koh is of Korean descent and that it's plausible that she may favor her home country's company¿

There was and it was shameful. The slide into a bigotry or prejudiced claim with no supporting evidence is telltale of the simple and demonstrative of almost the greatest form of ignorance.
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

American Company, American Judge, American Jury. I think I know which way this trial is going to go.

 

 

Really?!  Tell that to the USFL.  

 

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-30/sports/sp-18643_1_jury-finds-nfl-guilty

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #20 of 64
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
seeing as how you're a global moderator and all, is this the official appleinsider position?

 

It's the official position of US-based AppleInsider users. 😉

 

 

1000

 

 

This should have been the US in 1847, and darn it, we won't let you forget it! lol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wonder how they were able to find someone who never used an Apple or Samsung product in that area. It they did then that person must have been living in a cave!

Fromt what I understand tey can't always do that so they just have to vet people based on how they think they will vote. I were Apple or Samsung I wouldn't want anyone that was so unaware of technology not to know about these companies.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 64
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
No you're HYPOCRITES for questioning the Judges motives and impartiality…

 

Oh, okay. I never did that, however. Not sure anyone else did, either. I just said the decision made was a terrible one.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #23 of 64

Being a juror in a juicy murder case used to be a fantasy of mine. But oh how I'd love to be a deciding factor in this case.
 

post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

No you're HYPOCRITES for questioning the Judges motives and impartiality rather can simply accepting that it was his unbiased decision based on the facts and the evidence presented to him.

If you think the British Judge is corrupt who is to say that the American Judge is not also corrupt.

There's 330 million contained in that "you're". Go to a Houme Depout and get a smaller instrument for which to swath with.
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Oh, okay. I never did that, however. Not sure anyone else did, either. I just said the decision made was a terrible one.

 

Ok I apologise to you if you didn't but plenty of people on here did.

post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Being a juror in a juicy murder case used to be a fantasy of mine. But oh how I'd love to be a deciding factor in this case.
 

 

Thank god for Jury selection. It must work sometimes.

post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

No you're HYPOCRITES for questioning the Judges motives and impartiality rather can simply accepting that it was his unbiased decision based on the facts and the evidence presented to him.

If you think the British Judge is corrupt who is to say that the American Judge is not also corrupt.

Prove it! Show any evidence that he said the judge was corrupt. If Apple won the case you could claim as TS did the outcome was wrong and in no way is that a statement or implication that you think the judge or jury is corrupt. But that boat has sailed for you since you've already laid ground for any potential outcome that is not in Samsung's favour.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 64
Quote:
what is being called one of the most important patent cases in recent U.S. history.

 

Somehow...I doubt that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

 

 

 

No doubt you're the same people who said the British Judge who dismissed Apples' claim a few days ago was either stupid, biased, corrupt or incompetent.

 

You don't like it when someone says the same thing about an American Judge do you. HYPOCRITES.

 

No, not me. I believe my comments consisted of something along the lines of "different country, different laws, different outcome".

 

Regardless, why bother to do a simple search to see what comments were made when you can just make something up instead?

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, okay. I never did that, however. Not sure anyone else did, either. I just said the decision made was a terrible one.

Ok I apologise to you if you didn't but plenty of people on here did.
You are quite correct that the suggestion was made, but not, I think, by any of the serious contributors here. So you should not be surprised at offense being taken at your original post, which really was quite uncalled for unless you have some prior examples of the US legal system exhibiting bias of that kind.
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Oh, okay. I never did that, however. Not sure anyone else did, either. I just said the decision made was a terrible one.

 

Nor did I. I simply stated why I disagreed with the judge's call, without resorting to personal attacks.

Frankly, I don't know why you bother to respond to this one. He's just set on arguing with everyone hoping to pick a fight with someone. So not worth my time.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

 

Thank god for Jury selection. It must work sometimes.


You're assuming I'd be biased. I simply relish the opportunity to listen to engineers from two great engineering companies and possibly learn about their designs and design processes. Sure, I am biased in my product preference, but that does not mean I am not rational and fair in the face of evidence.

post #33 of 64

And of course once the verdict is read, appeals, appeals, appeals.  Suppose Samsung loses...do they have to pay and take change their interface and designs?  What if they win?

post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

It's the official position of US-based AppleInsider users. 😉

 

 

1000

 

 

This should have been the US in 1847, and darn it, we won't let you forget it! lol.gif

If you hadn't foolishly attacked us and tried to take over Canada, we wouldn't have had to beat you back to the headwaters of the Mississippi and burn the White House to the ground.  You are just lucky Canadians are so polite and nice that we gave all the land back gratis.  

post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you hadn't foolishly attacked us and tried to take over Canada, we wouldn't have had to beat you back to the headwaters of the Mississippi and burn the White House to the ground.  You are just lucky Canadians are so polite and nice that we gave all the land back gratis.  

That's okay but today's battles are fought with corporations and RiM has met their waterloo at the hands of Apple at whatever city RiM is headquartered. 😉

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

 

Nor did I. I simply stated why I disagreed with the judge's call, without resorting to personal attacks.

Frankly, I don't know why you bother to respond to this one. He's just set on arguing with everyone hoping to pick a fight with someone. So not worth my time.

 

I didn't quote you on my OP. It's got nothing to do with you. Go waste your time on someone else.

post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


You're assuming I'd be biased. I simply relish the opportunity to listen to engineers from two great engineering companies and possibly learn about their designs and design processes. Sure, I am biased in my product preference, but that does not mean I am not rational and fair in the face of evidence.

 

You're right I did assume that based on the tone of your OP. I apologise. I'm not so sure the court case would be as exciting as you might think. If you're that interested and have the time you can probably sit in open court and watch the proceedings.

post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Bee a man Yaun, leave and don't forget to take your single-digid IQ with you

F U C K  Y O U  MORON

Shaun, really. Whether you truly believe your statements are sincere or if there is a different enticement for you to write what you write, how come the only likes you get are from people that are bound to get banned as well for the very same reason? Think about it, while looking into the mirror.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


seeing as how you're a global moderator and all, is this the official appleinsider position?

 

A mod can't express an opinion? Please.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

 

No you're HYPOCRITES for questioning the Judges motives and impartiality rather can simply accepting that it was his unbiased decision based on the facts and the evidence presented to him.

 

If you think the British Judge is corrupt who is to say that the American Judge is not also corrupt.

 

I just assume everyone is corrupt and hope Apple paid off the right people this time. :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury selected for Apple and Samsung patent trial