or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Hulu Plus launches on Apple TV

Hulu Plus launches on Apple TV - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Getting country-by-country copyrights is a headache. Cross-border rights barely exist. You should take it up with your Canadian Ministry of Whatever.... :-)

Well, I know it's a headache and hard to do etc., just that their record so far is essentially zero after about six years of trying.  Funny joke about the government etc. but of course it's nothing to do with the government at all.  

I don't know the ins and outs of it all but it's safe to assume with zero progress after all this time that it is the content owners that are actually holding everything back.  Like the music industry they will probably have to be taken to the brink of collapse before they see the value in moving forward into the future.  They are still thinking of the Internet as "a service that runs on my laptop" instead of what it really is, which is the new backbone of the new distribution system.  Curiously I think Apple's Airplay in OS X will be a major factor in moving them forward as the concept of keeping somethings "on your computer" and other things "on your TV" is a false distinction that is exposed by the fact that you can now stream your computer to the TV anyway.  

post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Seriously?  People are b!tching about $8 a month when they have fewer commercials than they have OTA.  Instead of having 4 or 5 commercials per break you get 1 or two and, OMG, it's $8 a month!?!? I mean, who in the world would pay for that?!?!?!  Umm... How much do you pay for your cable?  30 - 40 if not more. ...

I think you're missing the point of the objections a bit.  People who have already (in some cases long ago), switched their cable off and moved to Internet delivery through iTunes, Netflix etc., are pissed that Hulu wants you to pay $8 a month and *also* give you commercials.  Netflix is $8 a month for instance and has no commercials of any kind.  iTunes rental subscriptions have no commercials either.  Most Internet TV and broadcast services use a paid model with no commercials.  

Hulu gives you less content than some *and* makes you pay, *and* gives you commercials.  This is because it's essentially just cable TV streamed onto the Internet rather than being a true "third service."  

Cable TV exists solely for the advertisers who run the entire show.  Hulu is the same as that. Instead of being a service intended for consumers, it's a way for advertisers to expand onto the Internet.  That's the whole point of Hulu and the reason for it's initial creation and continued existence; to retain that advertising revenue.  

post #43 of 75

Great addition to Apple TV for all of the cord-cutters out there!

post #44 of 75

So in addition to the much-asked-for API for third-party apps, two BIG things jump out that I think would be in perfect harmony with Apple's intent:

1 - Allow DVD or CD playback from linked itunes account on a mac: example, I place a DVD or CD in a mac, and can play it via AppleTV. Please give me a break on the "just stream the movie from iTunes et al" argument.

2 - Allow PURCHASE of music from AppleTV. Just don't get why I can browse TV and movies and purchase/rent, but not do the same for music?

post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

BBC iPlayer is on practically every smart device around. Even my Samsung TV has iPlayer built-in. It would be very surprising indeed if the BBC hasn't approached Apple already.

iPlayer is available in the App store.  If you can get mirroring to work you can mirror from your iphone or ipad to the ATV.  In any case, yes it should be added to the ATV.

post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's the quality? Does it approach HD?
Relative term
HD like Netflix HD (artifact ridden 720), like cable hd (720), iTunes 1080 (decent artifacts) or Blu ray HD?

I'd say between Netflix and cable. :-)

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #47 of 75

OMG.  I may finally have to update my ATV2 software.  (I've been resisting; I hate the new tile interface (yes, I've even played with it in person at Apple stores).)

post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
And, no, you can't watch standard (free) Hulu content on it. Just like always. And just like on every other device. That's not Apple's fault, and it's not Hulu's fault. That's the content rights owners that are preventing the content from being streamed to a mobile or set-top box. No, I don't like it. But, I don't blame Chevrolet is there's not a road going where I want to go.

I think a lot of people just can't understand how the content providers can be so stupid.  So I can't watch free Hulu on my ATV... but I can hook my HDMI cable into my PC laptop, and use my TV to watch free Hulu. 

It really is like the blacksmiths and whip makers ganging up to resist those new-fangled horseless carriages.  Good luck with that (but in the meantime we all have to suffer from their ignorance).

post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

now we just need the SlingBox app and the ATV would be perfect!

At first I thought "huh? Isn't your cable box right there?" but it makes sense if you travel and take your Apple TV with you and watch whatever you subscribe to during any down time.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #50 of 75

@ Sierrajeff "OMG.  I may finally have to update my ATV2 software.  (I've been resisting; I hate the new tile interface (yes, I've even played with it in person at Apple stores)."

After updating one of mine, and playing around with the new interface, I've grown to like it very much. So, I updated my other Apple TV. It'll be even nice when we can arrange them when the OS update comes later this year. 

And yes... the Hulu+ interface and responsiveness is MUCH better than on the Roku! I have a feeling I'll spend more time on Hulu+ than Netflix on my Apple TVs. 

post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're missing the point of the objections a bit.  People who have already (in some cases long ago), switched their cable off and moved to Internet delivery through iTunes, Netflix etc., are pissed that Hulu wants you to pay $8 a month and *also* give you commercials.  Netflix is $8 a month for instance and has no commercials of any kind.  iTunes rental subscriptions have no commercials either.  Most Internet TV and broadcast services use a paid model with no commercials.  

Hulu gives you less content than some *and* makes you pay, *and* gives you commercials.  This is because it's essentially just cable TV streamed onto the Internet rather than being a true "third service."  

Cable TV exists solely for the advertisers who run the entire show.  Hulu is the same as that. Instead of being a service intended for consumers, it's a way for advertisers to expand onto the Internet.  That's the whole point of Hulu and the reason for it's initial creation and continued existence; to retain that advertising revenue.  

They give you something no else does and that is iTunes availability at Netflix pricing.  Apple wants you to drop $3 for 1 single episode and Netflex wants you wait until the entire season of DVDs has come out.  If you want watch a current season but don't want to pony up $30+ (or more) PER SHOW Hulu is a no brainer.  Now if you're fine with waiting until it comes out on DVD or you're ok with paying a boat load to Apple for something you'll only watch once then by all means keep doing that but there is a very, very large group of people that want the current season availability and until now they had nothing. Does it have commercials? Of course it does but it's not as many as OTA stuff and that's why it's only $8 a month for all you can watch.  So it's really just a question of this - is no commercials worth $40 a month to you?  I'd say the overwhelming majority of people would say no.  In fact, if I wanted to get all the shows I watch that are on Hulu Plus through Apple I'd probably pay more than that when the shows come back in Sept/October.

It's Netflix + short commercials - the massive wait time.  For most that's a winning combination but if you refuse to watch commercials then feel free to continue to wait a year to see a show or continue to pay Apple an ungodly sum of money.  Of course you could always just airplay your desktop and watch the free stuff on your TV...

post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

At first I thought "huh? Isn't your cable box right there?" but it makes sense if you travel and take your Apple TV with you and watch whatever you subscribe to during any down time.

Wouldn't you just use your iPhone or iPad for that?  I've recently become aware of the fact that many hotels kill the external HDMI functionality for whatever reason. I've plugged in my iPad via HDMI in more than a few Hilton's to get absolutely nothing. Now other hotels it has worked but I don't think that's a big selling point for an Apple TV - just use your iPhone or iPad for the slingbox and if you want to plug it into a TV then take the cord.

post #53 of 75

That's a big plus, too bad I own so many of the titles on DVD, would have saved me a fortune.

post #54 of 75

Funny how people complain about commercials when they are paying for a service. I pay a lot of money for my Comcast cable, and the funny thing is that there are still commercials... everywhere.

post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPatterson View Post

Cool story. I personally launched Hulu on the Apple TV a few days ago with Airplay Mirroring. For free.

What a lot of people don't know and I only found out through their free trial on Xbox, is that half the content available to everyone for free in their browser is unavailable for Hulu PLus on devices due to various licensing restrictions between Hulu and its content providers. Very lame. Hulu Plus just isn't a great deal. Even less great if you have Mountain Lion and can just beam everything to your TV for free. Sure, you have to pay to watch season two of The Office or whatever, but you could do that with Netflix and get a whole bunch of other popular shows that Hulu doesn't even offer (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Louie, the list goes on and on). 

On a side note I would love to see PBS get an app on Apple TV. Their iOS apps are fantastic. I also wouldn't mind paying for access to BBC's iPlayer since I am in the States and usually have to resort to 'other methods' to get the latest Top Gear or Brian Cox helicopter on a mountain astronomy/physics lesson ;)

Netflix content has been going down the tubes the last few months.  I didn't count, but it looked like they added a whole 1 or 2 new releases last month (I'm probably wrong on that) and some old TV content and older movies.  I haven't seen anything newer come along that looks remotely interesting in a while.

However Breaking Bad is a pretty good show, I've been working thru all the back seasons since last week!

post #56 of 75
Quote:

Um, I think you're missing my point. You want to equate Hulu with cable, saying they're just variations of the same model. Okay, I'll play along. You get cable for $8/month?

Sure, with Hulu Plus you don't get everything you get with cable, but for $52/month (my cost difference; yours may vary), I didn't see that the additional content was worth that.

Hulu Plus may be a better deal for many people. That's my point.

post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeco View Post

HBO Go next please!

Yes!  Would love it if they added that.

post #58 of 75

This is all warm-up for the full-blown TV from Apple. I am holding off on a TV purchase until then!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #59 of 75
Quote:

Wouldn't you just use your iPhone or iPad for that?  I've recently become aware of the fact that many hotels kill the external HDMI functionality for whatever reason. I've plugged in my iPad via HDMI in more than a few Hilton's to get absolutely nothing. Now other hotels it has worked but I don't think that's a big selling point for an Apple TV - just use your iPhone or iPad for the slingbox and if you want to plug it into a TV then take the cord.

HBO-GO provides access to much of HBO catalog -- or at least to the 1990s (Deadwood, Band of Brothers, The Wire, etc.). It has more selection than what's usually available on demand.

edit: Sorry, replied to the wrong post. Meant to show the value of having HBO-Go on AppleTV at home.

post #60 of 75
The ATV is comically US centric. For those of us who live in countries not called USA, the ATV is incredibly limited. The lack of the BBC iPlayer, Amazon's LoveFilm, 4OD, and the recently launched Murdoch effort NOW TV make the ATV about as useful as a chocolate teapot for Brits. The only useful app is Netflix, and that's obviously only there because it benefits US customers.

If you want to stream video in the UK, the X360 is infinitely superior, and only very slightly more expensive.
post #61 of 75
Quote:

Then those people are idiots. The Netflix model is unsustainable, and you're simply not going to get all the content something like Hulu offers with either 2 or 3 commercials per 30 mins, or for $8. There is a reason why iTunes charges $3 to $4 per show (some of those shows are barely 20 mins of content) and it isn't Apple tax, and there is a reason why TBS, AMC and others slap alost 20 mins of ads every hour, usually at a point in the show designed specifically to ruin it for you.

The same people bitching about this, also bitch about having to pay for quality journalism through newspapers and magazines and probably bitch about their taxes too and smoke in public places. Self-entitled morons.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

If you want to stream video in the UK, the X360 is infinitely superior, and only very slightly more expensive.

...and only very slightly bigger and only very slightly less reliable and only very slightly ancient and probably going to be replaced only very slightly earlier.

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

post #63 of 75

Awesome!

Now where's HBO GO?  (And when will Showtime get off their bums? I wanna watch Dexter!)

Fantastic to see Apple opening up the AppleTV to services that somewhat compete with iTunes TV Shows store.  (iTunes TV Shows are purchase only. While Hulu is rental/leased only)

post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

...and only very slightly bigger and only very slightly less reliable and only very slightly ancient and probably going to be replaced only very slightly earlier.

The Xbox is still relatively small when compared to the average TiVo etc. It's also very reliable now, the red ring issues are long gone, and it's even quiet now too.

As for it's age and the coming of the Xbox 3, they are both largely irrelevant if your only interest is streaming video. The only issue that could arise would be if MS stopped releasing new streaming apps for the 360 once the Xbox 3 arrives.

post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Who says it's Apple not allowing it.

That is the least likely out of any scenario I can think of. The BBC's mandate is to reach as many UK TV license payers as possible. The iPlayer is on practically everything, they are not the issue.

post #66 of 75

Couldn't bring myself to part with money for an XBOX but I am being forced to look around to bring on demand services to my ailing CRT. Hoping that I won't have to with an ATV. But part of me knows that unless there is an app store it will have to be US centric to take off.

post #67 of 75

Well I have to say the interface is much better than Roku. Now if Apple TV could get either Pandora or Spotify then I could lose my Roku.

post #68 of 75

Ok, but what about REGULAR HULU?!  Like I can watch for FREE from my MAC?!  :(

Now, where is Crackle?!  Yes Pandora too please!

post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Ok, but what about REGULAR HULU?!  Like I can watch for FREE from my MAC?!  :(

Now, where is Crackle?!  Yes Pandora too please!

Standard Hulu content (the free stuff) is not authorized for streaming to ANY set-top box or mobile device. Not on Xbox, PS3, Wii, Roku, Blu-ray player, smart TV, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android, or any other device. And, that's an issue with the right-holder of that particular content, not Hulu or any particular device manufacturer.

post #70 of 75

Same here in Belgium. Only about 60% of the US services are available (no TV-shows --local or otherwise-- at all; Hulu, even Hulu proper doesn't seem to be available outside the US, even though we live in a global world with US ex-pats and enthusiasts all over the place).

The advantage of having TV-channels is of course one is no longer dependent on the transmission times. One just chooses whatever is available on some service ("channel").

My suggestion for a software improvement is to add a global search on e.g., "genre".

Indeed, having too many service ("channel") icons to investigate puts the aTV in the same league as the "smart TV" functionality already built-in into newer TV-sets.

aTV needs to excel in the way we find our programs.

(Similarly, the various iStores need to excel in the way we find apps and other content).

aTV needs to be able to control the TV over HDMI (such that I can take over the TV with my aTV remote). It is in the HDMI standard (my cable settop box does: it forces the TV to switch on and to use the proper HDMI input when I switch on the cable tuner). Apple could go further and offer menu driven control of all the TV inputs. Just hoping that this can be done with the aTV2. But I am willing to buy any aTV3 that is no longer a hobby. I'll keep the aTV2 for the bedroom.

post #71 of 75
Quote:

My suggestion for a software improvement is to add a global search on e.g., "genre".

Indeed, having too many service ("channel") icons to investigate puts the aTV in the same league as the "smart TV" functionality already built-in into newer TV-sets.

aTV needs to excel in the way we find our programs.

What you are suggesting was implemented in the Xbox dashboard almost a year ago. You get a single search field (voice or text input) which will search all providers available in your territory, then return unified results showing where to watch the content. Some results of course are available through multiple providers. You then choose the provider you want, and the Xbox loads up the appropriate app and streams the content. It works remarkably well.

The Xbox really is the best streamer around at present. It's not perfect (but then again, what is), but it's the best so far.

post #72 of 75
Quote:

Hulu has current content, as opposed to Netflix, which only mirrors what's been released on DVD.  And popular content on Netflix is delayed for months.  Broadcasters are hesitant to give current content away for free.  $8 a month is a pittance, and the commercials are by far less intrusive than broadcast.  

post #73 of 75
Quote:

I think this has to co-incide with Mountain Lion. Now you can just airplay the web version of Hulu directly to your TV so Hulu knows the only way to combat people just doing that is to offer it up directly on Apple TV.  I'll still probably go the freebie web version unless it doesn't convert very well but Hulu really only had one choice with the advent of Airplay from the Mac.

That is a good point. 

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This is all warm-up for the full-blown TV from Apple. I am holding off on a TV purchase until then!

imo we need to see an app store on the Apple TV before we move to an Apple TV set or cable box.  They could announce it together but that would be a lot of changes in one shot.

post #75 of 75
My issue isn't with their premium fee it's that they charge on some devices for what they offer free on others. I think if they are going to offer something free on my Mac then they are stupid to charge for accessing the same thing on my iPad or apple tv.

Companies who do stuff like that don't get my business.

As much as Netflix sucks it offers tv out on iPhone/iPad. So I pay for that.

I also pay for full premium services on cable too so I'm paying extra for these streams. I only keep Netflix because it's About the only streaming app I can watch on a bigger screen, through video glasses or through a pico projector. When I travel it's the only way I can see stuff bigger than my iPad screen at friends' homes, some of whom don't have a tv in the guest bedroom.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Hulu Plus launches on Apple TV