or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple portrays itself as smartphone underdog in Samsung suit opening remarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple portrays itself as smartphone underdog in Samsung suit opening remarks - Page 3

post #81 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

 

Concepts. Everyone can pull em out of thin air. 

 

Try again. 

And notice how Samsung cleverly  show the devices with their screens blanked out. If they had shown them active, they would have revealed that they were conceptually windows mobile phones.

 

 

Anyone who thinks that Samsung even had a chip in this game when iPhone came out should go back and rewatch the original Keynote when Jobs introduced the iPhone. Look at the phones he compared the iPhone to. THAT was the landscape at the time... Palm, Blackberry Windows phone.

Samsung might have had a mystical prototype that was all touch interface, but it's really hard to believe that what they put out in the market was anything other than trying to be an iPhone.

Look at the freaking dock connector even, the packaging... the icons... flat out ripoff.

post #82 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

To all of you: think back to 2005, 2006 and 2007. Where were Apple then? Success? In the mobile phones market? The court hearings are not about today!


Amazing that you have to point this out.  I asked the other day if people are really this obtuse and I guess they are.  Apple certainly was an underdog in the smartphone market when the iPhone came out.  A lot of people predicted failure.  They're not an underdog now but based on number of phones sold wide Samsung certainly isn't.  And as far as designs - it's the early Samsung smartphones that are pretty blatant copies of the iPhone.  No one is suggesting the Galaxy S III copies the iPhone design.  Heck it's not about rectangles either otherwise Apple would be suing more than Samsung.  If people can't see the clear cases where Samsung ripped off Apple then they're blind.  And since there are many cases where they didn't it just proves there IS more than one way to design a smartphone.  And Samsung was just being lazy.

post #83 of 112

So can Samsung prove the two phones below were in development before the iPhone came out?  We saw the purple prototype from Apple which basically shows that the iPhone 4 wasn't ripping off the LG Prada but it's own prototype from 2005.  And since the LG Prada was not multi-touch and the OS really looked nothing like iOS, plus the fact the Prada and iPhone were announced a month apart it's really a stretch to suggest Apple copied LG.  but these early Samsung phones sure look like iPhone clones.

 

Bitterwallet-Apple-iPhone-vs-Samsung-Galaxy.jpg

 

samsung-joke.jpg
 

post #84 of 112

Apple doesn't need to 'portray' itself as anything. Of course it was the underdog. Every single company in the handset business wrote them off. It's common knowledge. A few years ago they never had a phone. 

post #85 of 112
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Apple doesn't need to 'portray' itself as anything. Of course it was the underdog. Every single company in the handset business wrote them off. It's common knowledge. A few years ago they never had a phone. 

 

I'm being told elsewhere that Apple "was under intense pressure to create a smartphone".

 

It's hilarious what people can forget after only five years.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


History buffs indeed.
Maybe you should look up Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

 

 

I was thinking the same thing... While that may not qualify "technically" as thermonuclear... try convincing the survivors and families...

 

I can remember seeing films in the late 1940s or early 1950s of the ground -- showing outlines of human bodies that had been "vaporized"... it was eerily similar to outlines shown after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii/Herculaneum.


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/31/12 at 4:15pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #87 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We nuked our own soil to test the first bombs, so if you want to be pedantic, the definition fits.

Wow, you've never heard of WWII? Sort of a big deal. Guy with a tiny mustache, surprise attack in Hawaii… 
We have never dropped Nuclear bombs on another country. What we dropped in Japan were fission bombs, not nuclear, fusion bombs.
post #88 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


He should've written it "when one goes thermonuclear war they get themselves blown up as well"

Example?

post #89 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post


Oh, well in that case, name the last thermonuclear war when that happened.
A lot of history buffs in today I can tell.
(Clue: thermonuclear weapons have never been used in combat. That's why they called it the "cold" war.)

Why even bother with posters like these.... reason only confuses them further.

post #90 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Where is the data-tapping prior art? And don't talk about hyperlinks, because originally they had to be specifically coded. HTC found out this is a valid patent as it's been through court and still stood up.

I don't this one has been adjudicated yet. If fact I'm not certain any of Apple's asserted patents have made it that far. You're probably thinking of the "likely valid and infringed" rulings in preliminary injunction or ITC cases. That's not the same as being ruled valid.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #91 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Salzberg View Post

Nagasaki and Hiroshima  were just nuclear, not thermonuclear (e.g., H-Bombs).
Nuclear and thermonuclear is the same thing. Fusion detonation. Atomic aka fission bombs are not nuclear and are no longer used because they aren't as efficient
post #92 of 112
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
We have never dropped Nuclear bombs on another country. What we dropped in Japan were fission bombs, not nuclear, fusion bombs.

 

Do you genuinely not know what 'nuclear' means?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #93 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If Apple truly had it all sewed up do you really think they wouldn't have asserted them yet?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

Patent #7,812,826 was first applied for on December 29, 2006.  Apple owns pinch to zoom.  Just because it hasn't been asserted yet doesn't mean it won't be used, or used later.  Jobs said he'd spend every $ to crush Android for copying.  He meant what he said, and while Cook isn't the fighter Steve was, this is far from over.

 

tl;dr  It will come up sooner or later.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcmech View Post

I just reviewed this patent.  I did not look at all the claims.  However, claim 1, at least, is limited to a continuous adjustment of a graphical object through two different gestures.  I.e., the image zooms continuously if you pinch repeatedly.  I just tested this on my Android, in google maps, and it definitely zooms in steps, not continuously.

 

For what it's worth, my entire life savings is in AAPL, and I have every reason to judge in Apple's favor.  But I think Android is probably intentionally avoiding this one.

US 7,844,915 is being asserted in this case.  It is about distinguishing between scroll and pinch-to-zoom gestures and doesn't require continuous adjustment.

post #94 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Fine, if you want to choose to be obtuse about that common metaphor then: You don't detonate before it's time

lol.gif

post #95 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple's hardly an 'underdog, by any stretch of the imagination... and this (pictured below) will likely put an abrupt end to all this 'They Copied Our Ideas' nonsense, and the tech world can get back to competing on a fair/level playing field without fear of Apple's overly-litigious antics:



How do you conclude "Apple is not an underdog" by posting a bunch of alleged prototypes of Samsung phones? That seems like a non-sequitur to me.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #96 of 112
I don't get I'll be outrage from the haters. If Apple is wrong and its so obvious as they all suggest Apple will lose this case. And it will be publicly humiliating and costly. Even as it is right now the most secretive team at Apple is getting huge exposure. Prototypes that were never meant for the public are being releases, designers are on the witness stand describing the team and how it works. Does anyone honestly believe Apple would allow all this to become public knowledge for BS reasons?
post #97 of 112
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Prototypes that were never meant for the public are being releases, designers are on the witness stand describing the team and how it works. Does anyone honestly believe Apple would allow all this to become public knowledge for BS reasons?

 

Well, all Apple does is steal ideas from other companies, so those prototypes are just rehashes of phones we've already seen on the market. Besides, the market was headed in that direction five years ago, anyway. What Apple did was just a natural progression.

 

*snort*

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #98 of 112

Shit, meet Fan

Samsung Goes Public With Excluded Evidence to Undercut Apple’s Design Claims

http://allthingsd.com/20120731/samsung-goes-public-with-excluded-evidence-to-undercut-apples-design-claims/

 

 

I don't know if it's possible -- but it would be interesting if the Judge declared a mistrial and banned the sale on any Samsung devices under challenge until after s new trial.  

 

It appears that Sammy and some other large Korean companies regulatly run roughshod over Korean regulations and laws... apparently they assume the same tactics will work here...


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 7/31/12 at 5:00pm
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #99 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Shit, meet Fan



Samsung Goes Public With Excluded Evidence to Undercut Apple’s Design Claims



http://allthingsd.com/20120731/samsung-goes-public-with-excluded-evidence-to-undercut-apples-design-claims/


I don't know if it's possible -- but it would be interesting if the Judge declared a mistrial and banned the sale on any Samsung devices under challenge until after s new trial.  

It appears that Sammy and some other large Korean companies regulatly run roughshod over Korean regulations and laws... apparently they assume the same tactics will work here...
Samsung may be able to prove their early smartphones were evolutions of prototypes that predates the iPhone. Though what they actually sold to the public looks more like an iPhone than any of their prototypes do.

I think the Sony argument is a lot weaker. Basically all they have is Jony Ive telling one of his designers to pretend he was designing for Sony and mock something up something Sony might do. Oh and to do it as a fun side project. It might carry more weight if they had an actual product Apple was allegedly copying. Or if this prototype ended up being the phone they went with.
post #100 of 112
If anyone is going nuclear it's Samsung. Haven't most, if not all of the leaks come from Samsung?
post #101 of 112

I know this isn't anything serious like a murder trial, but leaking evidence for release to the press? I popped two bags of corn to watch through this one.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #102 of 112
So according to The Verge, Phil Schiller is taking the witness stand tomorrow. Scott Forstall and Greg Joswiak (who I think works for Schiller) are also expected to take the stand. But no Jony Ive or Tim Cook. The Verge speculates putting Ive on the stand would make Apple more appealing to the jurors. lol.gif
post #103 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If anyone is going nuclear it's Samsung. Haven't most, if not all of the leaks come from Samsung?

This really bothers me... When anyone thinks they are above the law and rules that govern the rest of us...

That's behind my biggest issues, over time, with MS, Google and now Sammy.

I have been observing Apple since 1978... Apple sometimes acts goofy, stupid, arrogant and as a bully... But they do play by the rules... Close to the line, sometimes, but not over the line.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #104 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I know this isn't anything serious like a murder trial, but leaking evidence for release to the press? I popped two bags of corn to watch through this one.

Yes! The closest thing we have to royalty in this country is a judge sitting on her throne in the courtroom... This will cost Sammy!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #105 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Shit, meet Fan



Samsung Goes Public With Excluded Evidence to Undercut Apple’s Design Claims



http://allthingsd.com/20120731/samsung-goes-public-with-excluded-evidence-to-undercut-apples-design-claims/


I don't know if it's possible -- but it would be interesting if the Judge declared a mistrial and banned the sale on any Samsung devices under challenge until after s new trial.  

It appears that Sammy and some other large Korean companies regulatly run roughshod over Korean regulations and laws... apparently they assume the same tactics will work here...

Yep. This isn't the first time in their Apple cases. They destroyed evidence even after a severe warning from another judge against destroying evidence. And now they're releasing evidence to the public even after being told that the evidence is excluded.

They must think they're above the law. Who do they think they are? Google?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #106 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Yep. This isn't the first time in their Apple cases. They destroyed evidence even after a severe warning from another judge against destroying evidence. And now they're releasing evidence to the public even after being told that the evidence is excluded.
They must think they're above the law. Who do they think they are? Google?

I never got a chance to read that warning from "another judge". Since you're already familiar with it, would you mind a link?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #107 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. This isn't the first time in their Apple cases. They destroyed evidence even after a severe warning from another judge against destroying evidence. And now they're releasing evidence to the public even after being told that the evidence is excluded.
They must think they're above the law. Who do they think they are? Google?

Sammy better be careful... Lest O'Reilly calls for a boycot.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #108 of 112
The more I think about this... Apple needs to start distancing itself from Sammy as a supplier... I know there are contracts... But Apple could enlist Intel to start making its CPUs...

At least it would send a warning shot across Sammy's bow
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #109 of 112

I'm so sick of this being taken seriously. Somebody invents,or thinks they invented the wheel, do we sue VMW or BENZ technically? The good manufactures don't need to sweat unless they forecast themselves sucking any time soon. 

 

Both parties will be better recognizing this the sooner the better


Edited by theobold - 7/31/12 at 10:53pm
post #110 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What I never understood is how Android got away with pinch to zoom. I thought Apple had a patent on that plus all the other multitouch gestures. Without those you really don't have much of a smartphone.

Apple didn't invent pitch to zoom. Digital Disk did. Then palm had their version, then somebody else. ETC.

post #111 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I really thought the Oracle suit against Google was the one to watch and would have had a tremendous impact on Android. But in the end, Google won. Most of Apple's lawsuits to date have also been largely unsuccessful.

I disagree. Apple has won quite a bit - scroll bounce removed from phones, some of the most blatant copies banned, and so on. Most importantly, the newest phone designs are not such obvious copies of Apple's products. Heck, Samsung has even changed the packaging so it doesn't look so much like Apple's. If you look at Apple's real goals (to end copying), they've gone a long way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

We have never dropped Nuclear bombs on another country. What we dropped in Japan were fission bombs, not nuclear, fusion bombs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Nuclear and thermonuclear is the same thing. Fusion detonation. Atomic aka fission bombs are not nuclear and are no longer used because they aren't as efficient

Wrong. "Nuclear weapons" include both fission and fusion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon
"A nuclear weapon is an explosive device that derives its destructive force from nuclear reactions, either fission or a combination of fission and fusion."
Hiroshima and Nagasaki are specifically cited in this article.

What in the world makes you think that only fusion weapons are nuclear? A nuclear weapon is one that derives its power from nuclear reactions. So what do you think powered the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombs? Millions of hamsters on millions of wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I never got a chance to read that warning from "another judge". Since you're already familiar with it, would you mind a link?

Look it up yourself. It was cited in the 'evidence destroying' thread here.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #112 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's case against Samsung centers on the belief that the smartphone and tablet markets have changed dramatically thanks to Apple.

 

 

Absolutely, 100% correct. Apple started all of this. 

Actually it has already been shown that a lot of companies were going in that direction before the iPhone arrived.  Say what you will but design is not the biggest impact the iPhone had. Exclusivity was one (Verizon should have wised up, they could have added millions upon millions of additional subscribers), iPhone also changed how software updates were done, approved and delivered.  App store, not so much since Jobs didn't want an App Store until users complained about it.  Yes it had a big impact just not everywhere you say it did.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple portrays itself as smartphone underdog in Samsung suit opening remarks