or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple iTunes, App Stores experience outages [u]

Apple iTunes, App Stores experience outages [u]

post #1 of 15
Coming on the heels of an iCloud email issue, users are reporting Apple's iTunes Store and App Store are also down.

While AppleInsider can't confirm the validity of users' complaints, the alleged outage seems to be widespread as many iOS users have taken to Twitter to voice their concerns over "cannot connect" error messages when attempting to purchase songs and apps through both the iTunes Store and the App Store.

The issue is most likely related to problems retrieving email messages on iCloud reported earlier today. That issue has been confirmed by Apple through its iCloud Support page and the company is reportedly working on a rolling out a fix soon.

Update: The problems appear to be fixed though Apple has yet to release a statement regarding the issue.
post #2 of 15

Everything is up and running for me in So Cal

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
...  The issue is most likely related to problems retrieving email messages on iCloud reported earlier today. ...

Unless Apple themselves has said this, this is actually just a wild guess based on (faulty) magical thinking.  

post #4 of 15

Lol. Apple rarely say anything.

post #5 of 15
Did they try to unplug and plug in their gateway router? It's supposed to cure just about any Internet problem.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 15

Sounds like that new billion-dollar data center in North Carolina is really working out well for Apple! Good investment!

post #7 of 15

I experienced this about 12 hours ago, when trying to purchase a season pass (complete my season).  I tried several times from 2 different MacBooks (both running lion), but only from one network.  I gave up on the season pass and just purchased a couple of individual episodes which worked OK first time.

My analysis:

* it's not a 'simple' error, or network or data centre related - it doesn't affect all transactions equally.

* the error actually does say 'try again later' (or words to that effect).  I personally think *later* can easily mean 24-48 hours.  So until the problem persists for a significant time, Apple's advice in the error message itself is sufficient.

The timing of this problem is annoying because my download giga-mega-kilo-bytes reset on 1st of the month...

post #8 of 15
Also can not purchase TV shows. It says to try again later. I didn't try to purchase a movie or music recently.

Oops! Someone beat me to it! However I can not buy a single episode and that was about 30 minutes ago.
Edited by Vadania - 7/31/12 at 4:58pm
post #9 of 15

I had to try to update an app 5 times before it stopped giving the error message and installed, but after that it gave another error message (still updated tho).

post #10 of 15
No problems for me from either store (iTunes, App). It's probably a geographically localized issue.

I'm in Silicon Valley, for what it's worth.
post #11 of 15
Interestingly, yesterday was the longest outage for Cox email that I've ever seen, as well.

There's really no excuse for either company. There should not be a single point of failure anywhere in the system.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Interestingly, yesterday was the longest outage for Cox email that I've ever seen, as well.
There's really no excuse for either company. There should not be a single point of failure anywhere in the system.

Cox was having some DNS issues on Sunday, however everything was back to normal yesterday, at least for me. DNS is really the single point of failure in many cases because if you are upgrading a system and change an IP address it does take awhile for the propagation to take effect since there is really only one primary name server for a domain. Everyone else is either a secondary DNS or cache. Macs are the worst when it comes to DNS issues because it does not flush the cache unless you restart the computer, at least in my experience. Windows and Linux seem to find updated DNS records a lot faster, not sure why.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Cox was having some DNS issues on Sunday, however everything was back to normal yesterday, at least for me.

Not for me - or lots of others. Cox email was out for about 8 hours yesterday. No information on the outage and, as usual, their online chat was not available.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not for me - or lots of others. Cox email was out for about 8 hours yesterday. No information on the outage and, as usual, their online chat was not available.

Those major backbone carrier email services with regional load balancing are somewhat prone to outages, at least in my experience. I run my own domain and datacenter with my own DNS and mail servers so I rarely have any issues that I can't resolve on my own. I imagine it can be frustrating when you don't know what is going on and can't contact anyone. My network is really small but when you have a huge client base and something goes down, it becomes very difficult to bring it back up because you have so many pending requests that it tends to just crash the service again before it can boot up to regain an equilibrium and empty the spool and queue.

post #15 of 15
My .me email (now called iCloud, I guess) hasn't worked in the last few days. I don't use it very often so I didn't notice it right away. Also, I have two Comcast accounts. Those stopped working too, due to "incorrect password". Then I noticed that these email accounts weren't working on my iPhone either. When I checked, my .me password, it had to be re-entered. And my two Comcast accounts had their passwords "switch". (Comcast email 1 had Comcast email 2's password and vice versa). Needless to say I thought this was VERY strange. The only thing that has changed recently is that I upgraded to Mountain Lion. So I'm wondering if that caused the problems with mail.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple iTunes, App Stores experience outages [u]