or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple designer Chris Stringer reveals dozens of iPhone prototypes at trial

Apple designer Chris Stringer reveals dozens of iPhone prototypes at trial

post #1 of 69
During the Apple v. Samsung trial on Tuesday, Apple industrial designer Chris Stringer went over the company's design ethos and revealed a number of prototype iPhone models, some of which he presented in person.

When Stringer took the stand as Apple's first witness on Tuesday, he presented a bevy of pictures of prototypes and physical models to illustrate the behind-the-scenes design process that went into making the handset.

Stringer is being called upon due to his expertise in the area of industrial design, especially related to Apple as he has contributed in some way to every one of the company's "Designed in California" products since 1995.

width=
Source: Apple v. Samsung

In his testimony, the designer said that a small group of 15 or 16 people form a team and, as reported by All Things D, literally sit around a kitchen table to come up with Apple's next product.

?We?ll sit there with our sketch books and trade ideas,? Stringer said. ?That?s where the really hard, brutal honest criticism comes in.?

After the brainstorming session, the team renders CAD drawings for the best design ideas and creates a physical model if they find potential in a particular piece.

?Our role is to imagine products that don?t exist and guide them to life,? Stringer said. He noted the team's low tolerance of poor design, saying that the process can sometimes result in 50 designs for a single component. ?We?re a pretty maniacal group of people."

According to The Verge, Stringer showed nearly 40 prototype models to the jury with some nearing what would become the original iPhone while others don't even bear a passing resemblance.

width=

Stringer said that because Apple was new to the wireless market, the design team had extra pressure to get the product right. The company wanted something to "wow" consumers.

When asked why one of the prototypes bore the "iPod" logo, Stringer replied that either the "iPhone" term had not yet been coined or the team was attempting to "disguise its iPhone identity."

While later designs moved to brushed aluminum and a flatter, lozenge shape, the company ended up returning to earlier handset concepts.

?We found something more beautiful,? Stringer said of the early designs.
post #2 of 69

Samsung is totally screwed in this case, Apple is going to nail their butt's to the cross....

post #3 of 69
Why is AI being so stingy with showing all the images? I think people want to see these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

width=

"All of this has happened before, and it will happen again."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Samsung is totally screwed in this case, Apple is going to nail their butt's to the cross....

This is a trial by jury... anything is (sought of) possible (sigh).

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #5 of 69
Quote:

Hope you enjoy disappointment.
post #6 of 69

Innovate don't litigate, Apple.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #7 of 69
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Ah, what a classic. lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #8 of 69
I posted this on another thread. Stringer is the guy on the left with the long hair and beard.

5z2y5u.jpg
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I posted this on another thread. Stringer is the guy on the left with the long hair and beard.
5z2y5u.jpg

You know that photo makes Stringer and Ive look like guys whose job is "clean" things up.

Edited by ufwa - 7/31/12 at 10:52pm
post #10 of 69
Quote:

You meant:

'Innovated, then Imitated, then Litigated'

Didn't you?

post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

You know that photo makes Stringer and Ivy look like guys who's job is "clean" things up.

Hehe... lol.gif

post #12 of 69
Quote:

You know that photo makes Stringer and Ivy look like guys who's job is "clean" things up.

You mean like Harvey Keitel?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #13 of 69
Quote:

Poor Jonathan Ive, nobody ever knows how to spell his name.  And by the way, it's WHOSE.

APOSTROPHE: he's/she's/you're/it's
NO APOSTROPHE: his/hers/yours/its

Is this really so difficult?
APOSTROPHE: he's/she's/you're/it's
NO APOSTROPHE: his/hers/yours/its

Is this really so difficult?
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

Poor Jonathan Ive, nobody ever knows how to spell his name.  And by the way, it's WHOSE.

fixed it. Happy now?

post #15 of 69
Quote:
McElhinny asked Stringer about the inspiration for the iPhone.
“We were looking for a new original and beautiful object, something that would really wow the world,” Stringer testified. “We wanted to create something that seemed so wonderful you can’t imagine how you’d follow it.”
Apple designers spent “years” trying to create the “most simple, purest manifestation of what that can be -- something that people can love.

now that's a design process!

Btw, evolution in ideas, as opposed to genetic evolution, works horizontally as well as vertically. For instance, general relativity would have found it's way, even without Einstein. Pointcaré came up with th same ideas at about the same time but following a more geometric route.

The images presented by Samsung, where the F700 is depicted, show just that.

As does the notification center on my iphone...
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stringer looks like he wants to deck the photographer.

post #17 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You mean like Harvey Keitel?

Yeah pretty much like his character in Pulp Fiction and other shows/movies with similar characters.

If only the guy on the right would have similar type of stance and facial expression.

post #18 of 69
Quote:

Yeah pretty much like his character in Pulp Fiction and other shows/movies with similar characters.

If only the guy on the right would have similar type of stance and facial expression.

His comment was a reference to Keitel's character, Victor the Cleaner, in the 90's movie Point of No Return, an American remake of Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita.

post #19 of 69

I have never heard of Sony or Samsung coming out like this.  But yet this is a trial and legal proceedings are at hand.  Maybe we will see Samsung present their creative processes.  LOL.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why is AI being so stingy with showing all the images? I think people want to see these.

I agree, so much more to see

Apple's lead attorney says Samsung will claim that "the Devil made me do it"

Samsung's Official Statement on Apple Suit in Germany

Apple v. Samsung: hammering out details before a giant patent battle

There's a 100 of these pics over at AllThingsD

edit: AllThingD says 100, but the show ends at pic 51. Bastards!

Edited by PhilBoogie - 8/1/12 at 12:21am
post #21 of 69
Quote:

You know that photo makes Stringer and Ive look like guys whose job is "clean" things up.

For Ive and everybody *except* Stringer I agree.  

Stringer himself has a whole "Aragorn" thing going on.  

Way more noble and cool looking than a "fixer," and tougher too.   

post #22 of 69

It's all about the rectangles octagons lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 69
Quote:

So what does that make Samsung?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 69

Is it me or the first photo looks like an LG Chocolate Series, L Series or Nokia Lumia 800/900?

It's impressive to know how that designs were pushed out to the market by other brands yet they still weren't enough for Apple. I love .

post #25 of 69

Apple should never have shown those prototypes. Guess what the next ten Samsung phones and tablets will look like.

post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Apple should never have shown those prototypes. Guess what the next ten Samsung phones and tablets will look like.

Speaking of the tablets, it's interesting how many of them were using the 4:3 aspect ratio. I still can't believe the rest of the industry is still trying to compete with the iPad with a format that is only good for one orientation.

post #27 of 69
Quote:

Speaking of the tablets, it's interesting how many of them were using the 4:3 aspect ratio. I still can't believe the rest of the industry is still trying to compete with the iPad with a format that is only good for one orientation.

Speaking of which, I did notice quite a few of those prototypes looked as if they were 16:9, and didn't make the cut.

So now one has to wonder what Apple has in mind for that aspect ratio to crop up again in the rumored iPhone "5"

post #28 of 69
It will be interesting to see Samsungs design process.
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

By seeing Apple's design process we already have. 😷

post #30 of 69

I wonder how much Sony would have paid for the right to use Ive's "Jony" iPhone design.

Probably millions.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #31 of 69

Just FYI, here's the specific phone that Samsung claims Apple copied in their original iPhone design.

(According to John Paczkowski, All Things D, and John Gruber, anyway...)

Get a load of this:

Now, does that look like the original iPhone?

Does it look like any iPhone?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Here's Paczkowski's original story at All Things D: http://allthingsd.com/20120727/apple-tries-to-torpedo-samsungs-sony-style-iphone-charge/

post #32 of 69

If you can't visualize this phone without the keyboard and with the screen elongated, then you're not in "Sony" Ive's team.

It's virtually identical to Iphone 4 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Just FYI, here's the specific phone that Samsung claims Apple copied in their original iPhone design.

(According to John Paczkowski, All Things D, and John Gruber, anyway...)

Get a load of this:

Now, does that look like the original iPhone?

Does it look like any iPhone?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Here's Paczkowski's original story at All Things D: http://allthingsd.com/20120727/apple-tries-to-torpedo-samsungs-sony-style-iphone-charge/

post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

.... For instance, general relativity would have found it's way, even without Einstein. Pointcaré came up with th same ideas at about the same time but following a more geometric route.

While it is historically true that Poincaré was the first to formulate the correct equations, Einstein was the first to elaborate the correct physical interpretation associated to them, and to derive all consequences ... Ideas in the air, even correct, are not enough ..

having said this , as noted by G Kawasaki, the basic ingredient is "chutzpah" !

... Which is not what you can learn in management schools ...
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Copy don't R&D, Samsung.

post #35 of 69
Quote:

Oh I don't know. Never underestimate stupidity.

Take that UK judge for example.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

If you can't visualize this phone without the keyboard and with the screen elongated, then you're not in "Sony" Ive's team.
It's virtually identical to Iphone 4 series.
You're joking, right?
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

An arse.
post #38 of 69
Quote:

Why not? Market research told them it's what everyone wants.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Apple is probably already ten generations ahead.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple designer Chris Stringer reveals dozens of iPhone prototypes at trial