or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iOS chief Scott Forstall to testify at Apple v. Samsung trial
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS chief Scott Forstall to testify at Apple v. Samsung trial

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
According to a court document filed on Tuesday, Apple Senior Vice President of iOS Software Scott Forstall will testify on behalf of the Cupertino company perhaps as soon as Friday, depending on the length of worldwide marketing exec Phil Schiller's testimony.

Update: Forstall describes iOS development, challenges in Samsung trial

Apple's updated rolling witness list notes the iOS guru will take the stand immediately after Schiller whose testimony was cut short on Tuesday as the court session wrapped up. Samsung was previously informed that Forstall would be testifying sometime this week but the South Korean company didn't know the exact schedule.

The news comes two days after Apple filed its last witness list on July 29 which ended with: "In addition, Apple has notified Samsung that Scott Forstall will testify on Friday, and may testify before one or more of the above witnesses depending on schedule."

Schiller testified today, albeit for a short time before court adjourned, and said Apple doesn't rely on market research to rollout products. His testimony will kick off proceedings when the court meets again on Friday.

The Apple v. Samsung suit also brought a number of iPhone prototypes to light as Apple's first witness, industrial designer Chris Stringer, presented nearly 40 designs in pictures and physical models.

Forstall Testimony
Source: Apple v. Samsung court filings


Also reshuffled on the most recent list are graphic designer Susan Kare, who worked on Macintosh interface elements and served as Creative Director at NeXT, and Ravin Balakrishnan, a professor of computer science at the University of Toronto who previously served in the case as an expert witness in support of Apple's motion for a preliminary injunction in 2011.

Judging by the testimonies given thus far, Forstall may speak as soon as Friday depending on when Apple attorneys finish with Schiller.
post #2 of 27
Code:
This should be cool. I really do think he's the next Steve. He's the ONLY one who seems to get excited about the products. Mildly, but at least he does.

EDIT: thank god he doesn't run around the stage like Mr. Ballmer. I've showed that clip to sooooo many friends in college it's not even funny! None of them can believe he's the guy running (ruining) M$. Still funny, but you know what I mean.
Edited by Vadania - 7/31/12 at 11:45pm
post #3 of 27
So Schiller and Forstall are testifying but not Ive? What is Forstall testifying on?
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

This should be cool. I really do think he's the next Steve. He's the ONLY one who seems to get excited about the products. Mildly, but at least he does.
I dunno, he freaks me out with his crazy eyes. lol.gif

crazyeyes.png
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I dunno, he freaks me out with his crazy eyes. lol.gif
crazyeyes.png

Bad pic. It happens even if you're a 12.

Yea, he's gone and done a good job of keeping himself off of the Internet. You can not find a sexy pic of him anywhere.

/southern tic intended.
Edited by Vadania - 7/31/12 at 11:56pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I dunno, he freaks me out with his crazy eyes. lol.gif
crazyeyes.png

 

Son of Serlet.

 

700

 

Forstall and Serlet were very early models of the T1000's.

 

Cyborg technology has improved vastly since then. 

 

Give them a break.

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Reply
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
Reply
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Schiller and Forstall are testifying but not Ive? What is Forstall testifying on?

Probably the fact that he MADE iOS, along with his employees. At the expense of another employee due to competition. You get that genuine feel when you watch him announce it also.

Samsung... Well I think we can all say they didn't make iOS, but it looks like it! Some might say a lot like it.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Bad pic. It happens even if you're a 12.

Even Barney Stinson can have a bad pic...

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Son of Serlet.



Forstall and Serlet were very early models of the T1000's.

Cyborg technology has improved vastly since then. 

Give them a break.

Very bad! Honestly when I Googled him there was more than one Leinardo Decaprio "probably spelled wrong" results on the first, second and third page. Maybe he's not at that level, but that just shows you what Google thinks of him.
post #10 of 27

Kids, obviously he had an eye problem. That doesn't matter, he's talented and got a great job.

 

As for him becoming the next Steve. I hope not. Though for sure he got better taste on things than Tim so I want him to be just an advisor to the CEO or maybe another layer above CEO for approving things. Why? I don't want him to do non-programming work like managing their suppliers, talking with carriers, etc. Tim is good on that and let Scott's time solely focus on software.

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even Barney Stinson can have a bad pic...

I don't know who he is, and yes that is a bad pic.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Kids, obviously he had an eye problem. That doesn't matter, he's talented and got a great job.

As for him becoming the next Steve. I hope not. Though for sure he got better taste on things than Tim so I want him to be just an advisor to the CEO or maybe another layer above CEO for approving things. Why? I don't want him to do non-programming work like managing their suppliers, talking with carriers, etc. Tim is good on that and let Scott's time solely focus on software.

I agree, Tim is not the best candidate. So what are you saying? Exactly what I've been thinking for a while. Your post is that the current CEO is handling supply chain management. Should he be? Probably not. Is he? He's probably the best at it. Is that indicative of a leading role, visionary? Not in my very humble opinion. I'm also not leading the worlds biggest company, so take that with a grain of salt.. To us younger folks it will be a study case further on down the road.

However this is like clambering for politics. There are many people behind each person anyone can name at Apple. My only point was that Scott seems to have that Apple "fire" built into him.

Tim's numbers. Phil will say what he has to. shhh he's a highly paid sales person. Johnny makes great stuff (or his employees do), and Scott gets excited about what he's pushing.

There's probably another dozen or so people who are very key to what's going on there and we still haven't heard their name.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I dunno, he freaks me out with his crazy eyes. lol.gif
crazyeyes.png

That pic doesn't matter. It literally lasted a fraction if a second. What matters is how he comes across on the witness stand.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #14 of 27

Something tells me Samsung doesn't have 40 designs slowly progressing closer to the final iPhone.

post #15 of 27
Forstall will probably tell Sammy to go "f" themseleves and just walk out.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I agree, Tim is not the best candidate. So what are you saying? Exactly what I've been thinking for a while. Your post is that the current CEO is handling supply chain management. Should he be? Probably not. Is he? He's probably the best at it. Is that indicative of a leading role, visionary? Not in my very humble opinion. I'm also not leading the worlds biggest company, so take that with a grain of salt.. To us younger folks it will be a study case further on down the road.
However this is like clambering for politics. There are many people behind each person anyone can name at Apple. My only point was that Scott seems to have that Apple "fire" built into him.
Tim's numbers. Phil will say what he has to. shhh he's a highly paid sales person. Johnny makes great stuff (or his employees do), and Scott gets excited about what he's pushing.
There's probably another dozen or so people who are very key to what's going on there and we still haven't heard their name.

well, it is a chicken or egg problem... Tim Cook knows how to "make the eggs", but Scott Forstall designs the insides of the egg. thus, is it more important to have eggs to sell, or have the egg that people want. at Apple, they have both. Tim Cook is the Chicken, and Scott Forstall. is the egg. but out in the world of "money", the chicken is more important and therefore is CEO.
(apologies to the Design Team... they design the look of the chicken, the most important part...which is why the Late Steve Jobs, bestowed amount of power that Jon Ivie has)

the problem is Scott forstall is a "support guy" OS development... and Tim Cook is an "action guy". and in the world of executives, "action persons" become the 3-letter executives... (CEO,CFO,COO etc)... not to mention Tim Cooks part in the 117 Billion in cash on hand. IMO Apple does not operate on the "peter principle".

perhaps Scott Forstall would be a good CEO, but it won't happen at apple... he knows the iOS cold, thus that is his lot in life... be good at what you do, and enjoy life...
post #17 of 27
Here's an interesting review of what has gone on so far.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/apple-to-jury-iphone-changed-everythingthen-samsung-built-knockoffs

It's not looking good for Samsung.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

well, it is a chicken or egg problem... Tim Cook knows how to "make the eggs", but Scott Forstall designs the insides of the egg. thus, is it more important to have eggs to sell, or have the egg that people want. at Apple, they have both. Tim Cook is the Chicken, and Scott Forstall. is the egg. but out in the world of "money", the chicken is more important and therefore is CEO.
(apologies to the Design Team... they design the look of the chicken, the most important part...which is why the Late Steve Jobs, bestowed amount of power that Jon Ivie has)
the problem is Scott forstall is a "support guy" OS development... and Tim Cook is an "action guy". and in the world of executives, "action persons" become the 3-letter executives... (CEO,CFO,COO etc)... not to mention Tim Cooks part in the 117 Billion in cash on hand. IMO Apple does not operate on the "peter principle".
perhaps Scott Forstall would be a good CEO, but it won't happen at apple... he knows the iOS cold, thus that is his lot in life... be good at what you do, and enjoy life...

That's not how a CEO is chosen.

The CEO is generally chosen for their leadership abilities rather than any specific skill set. Cook was presumably chosen because he's best able to build and lead a team rather than his operational skills.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Forstall will probably tell Sammy to go "f" themseleves and just walk out.

That would actually be pretty funny. I'm waiting for a detailed article on what he said.

Ive would probably just say "your phones suck, hard" and leave.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


That pic doesn't matter. It literally lasted a fraction if a second. What matters is how he comes across on the witness stand.

 

This is what worries more about Forestall though.  Yeah, he's an over-intense googly-eyed kind of guy, but he's also a bit of an asshole and has a medium sized chip on his shoulder over not being picked to be CEO from what I've heard.

 

This trial is probably one of the most important moments in Apple history so you will probably see all of them close ranks and pull together but, if there is one person in the entire group that *might* stab everyone in the back, it's Forestall IMO.  

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is what worries more about Forestall though.  Yeah, he's an over-intense googly-eyed kind of guy, but he's also a bit of an asshole and has a medium sized chip on his shoulder over not being picked to be CEO from what I've heard.

This trial is probably one of the most important moments in Apple history so you will probably see all of them close ranks and pull together but, if there is one person in the entire group that *might* stab everyone in the back, it's Forestall IMO.  

Not going to happen.

First, he'd never get another tech job.

Second, all of his coworkers and friends would hate him.

Finally, his millions of dollars in Apple stock would drop significantly in value.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #22 of 27

I wouldn't worry he will do that.

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

This is what worries more about Forestall though.  Yeah, he's an over-intense googly-eyed kind of guy, but he's also a bit of an asshole and has a medium sized chip on his shoulder over not being picked to be CEO from what I've heard.

 

This trial is probably one of the most important moments in Apple history so you will probably see all of them close ranks and pull together but, if there is one person in the entire group that *might* stab everyone in the back, it's Forestall IMO.  

I'm sure every one of these guys has been heavily coached by Apple's legal team.  I can't imagine any of them going rogue up there.  Since so much of this hinges on design I'm a bit surprised Ive isn't on the list but The Verge speculates Apple doesn't want to put him up there unless they absolutely have to, and Samsung doesn't really want him up there either as he might sway the jury especially if his working relationship with Steve was discussed.  I'm sure Samsung wants Steve kept out of this trial as much as possible. :lol:

post #24 of 27

I think there are many reasons Steve picked Tim to be his successor, specifically the board and wall street having confidence in him. He did fill in for Steve when Steve was on medical leave.  But another reason could be that he’s someone without ego that the rest of the executive team is willing to work for.  There were rumors that Ive and Mansfield don’t get along with Scott Forstall.  I’m guessing that’s probably BS, but I honestly can’t see Ive ever reporting to Forstall.  I doubt he’s micromanaged much (if at all) by Cook.

post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

well, it is a chicken or egg problem... Tim Cook knows how to "make the eggs", but Scott Forstall designs the insides of the egg. thus, is it more important to have eggs to sell, or have the egg that people want. at Apple, they have both. Tim Cook is the Chicken, and Scott Forstall. is the egg. but out in the world of "money", the chicken is more important and therefore is CEO.
(apologies to the Design Team... they design the look of the chicken, the most important part...which is why the Late Steve Jobs, bestowed amount of power that Jon Ivie has)
the problem is Scott forstall is a "support guy" OS development... and Tim Cook is an "action guy". and in the world of executives, "action persons" become the 3-letter executives... (CEO,CFO,COO etc)... not to mention Tim Cooks part in the 117 Billion in cash on hand. IMO Apple does not operate on the "peter principle".
perhaps Scott Forstall would be a good CEO, but it won't happen at apple... he knows the iOS cold, thus that is his lot in life... be good at what you do, and enjoy life...

I haven't a clue what you mean but.... many thanks for the deep giggle :-)
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is what worries more about Forestall though.  Yeah, he's an over-intense googly-eyed kind of guy, but he's also a bit of an asshole and has a medium sized chip on his shoulder over not being picked to be CEO from what I've heard.

This trial is probably one of the most important moments in Apple history so you will probably see all of them close ranks and pull together but, if there is one person in the entire group that *might* stab everyone in the back, it's Forestall IMO.  

Who would Forstall stab in the back?
Tim Cook was chosen by Steve, with the backing of his hand-picked board of directors. It was The Steve Jobs Show during the late 2000's. You think Forstall would sabotage his career with public back stabbing? If he is really CEO / leader material, he will shine on the witness stand, period.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Here's an interesting review of what has gone on so far.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/apple-to-jury-iphone-changed-everythingthen-samsung-built-knockoffs
It's not looking good for Samsung.

I'm sure the Fandroid boards will light up for months afterwards about the biased judge and her excluded evidence. But unlike Fandroids, I don't go trolling on their forums with a bag of popcorn.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iOS chief Scott Forstall to testify at Apple v. Samsung trial