or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
The Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter for newer Thunderbolt-equipped Macs is now available for $29 at Apple's online store.

The new adapter is estimated to ship in one to three business days. It allows users to connect their Thunderbolt-equipped Mac to a FireWire device with the small and compact cable.

The connector provides a FireWire 800 port that supplies up to 7 watts for bus-powered peripherals like hard drives and audio devices. It requires a Thunderbolt-equipped Mac running OS X 10.7.4 or later.

Apple first announced the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June. It was introduced alongside the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter accessory.

Thunderbolt


The list of available Thunderbolt accessories continues to expand since the high-speed port debuted on Macs in mid 2011. The new cable standard utilizes two separate 10Gbps links — one for displays and one for PCI-Express device traffic —?for throughput of up to 10Gbps between Thunderbolt-capable devices and a compatible Mac.
post #2 of 48
I just check the link and the apple.com shows that it's not found. So I guess Apple pulled out after Appleinsider post this article...

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Reply

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Reply
post #3 of 48

Why did it take so long to make a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter though?

post #4 of 48
How about Thunderbolt to USB 3???
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Why did it take so long to make a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter though?

I wonder the same thing, all I can think of is maybe there were licensing issues.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

How about Thunderbolt to USB 3???

 

They probably want you to buy a new mac with USB 3 already on it but I can see your point for those with TB and usb 2 where such an adapter would come in handy when connected to usb 3 devices.

post #7 of 48
How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...

Or an HDV/miniDV video camera.  A lot of people (myself included) have moved on to tapeless recording, but I still have an archive of tapes that I will want to access in the future.  

post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...

The RMBP has two Thunderbolt ports, surely you could connect two out of those three. Just need two dongles, problem solved!
post #10 of 48

How about you guys buy one of the docks available where you get an entire DOCK with a laundry list of ports connected to just one Thunderbolt port: Gigabit Ethernet, FW800 (don't remember if it's a set of two or just one), 4x USB 3.0 (compatible w/ USB 2.0), 1x HDMI, (the Matrox dock has 1x DVI), 1x eSATA, another 1x Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. There is one dock already out by Matrox, but the really awesome one from Belkin (with the aforementioned specs) is set to be released next month or the month after that! ;-)

 

I personally got rid of all of my FW800 and eSATA drives, but I do use the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, which I was able to buy on day one and it works great!

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply
post #11 of 48

How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

Maybe so, but the fact remains that up until recently, the only way to get Firewire out of Thunderbolt was to buy a $999 external monitor.  $29 is affordable by everyone and paves the way for the day when Firewire is dropped from all Macs (which may happen sooner than we think...we haven't seen the Ivy Bridge iMacs and Mac Minis yet).

post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

 

No product's retail price is anywhere near the cost to make it. However, this is an active adapter not passive, so the cost isn't going to be what you think it is. This is basically a single port FireWire expansion card crammed into a little adapter.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

How about Thunderbolt to USB 3???

Isn't Ivy Bridge required for USB 3 support?
post #15 of 48

Target disk Mode?

Bootable?

post #16 of 48

the adapter is useable on your fw400 & dv cams, need the same cables you always used before when apple went fw800 only. they are $5 on monoprice.com so stop b*tching.

15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
Reply
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Unibody | MacBook 2.4 Ghz Unibody | AirPort Extreme - Gigabit | "Sawtooth" PowerMac G4 in B&W (G3) case, 1.2Ghz, 1TB Mirrored RAID
Reply
post #17 of 48
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
Isn't Ivy Bridge required for USB 3 support?

 

For on-board native support. Not for actually using it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #18 of 48

I'd  really like a TB to e-SATA adapter.  I setup an OWC QX2 RAID this past weekend and I have it connected w/FW800 at the moment, but e-SATA is even faster and it has that on the box as well.  USB 2 and FW400 are also there, but I'm only looking at the fast thoroughput options :)

 

 

Some numbers for e-SATA vs FW800 (plus crushing USB2)

 

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Drive-SATA-vs-Firewire.html

post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Maybe so, but the fact remains that up until recently, the only way to get Firewire out of Thunderbolt was to buy a $999 external monitor.  $29 is affordable by everyone and paves the way for the day when Firewire is dropped from all Macs (which may happen sooner than we think...we haven't seen the Ivy Bridge iMacs and Mac Minis yet).

 

Not exactly true, guess it depends on what you mean by "recently". Sonnet has had their Thunderbolt to Expresscard 3/4 adapter out since earlier this year. For about $260, you could get FW out of a TB connection with the adapter, the FW Expresscard 3/4 itself, and a couple cables. I actually had this setup until I saw Apple's announcement. It worked ok, but my main motivation was to tether up a medium format digital back to my Macbook Air. It worked some of the time, but the connection would die after some amount of time or # of shots.

 

Needless to say, I've sold off all that gear and just ordered the new cable, saving me a ton of $$.

post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.


Since Apple got you to pay their "standard Apple high margins" on your iPod and iPhone, they probably think you're willing to pay for a $29 adapter, too.

post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I'd  really like a TB to e-SATA adapter.  I setup an OWC QX2 RAID this past weekend and I have it connected w/FW800 at the moment, but e-SATA is even faster and it has that on the box as well.  USB 2 and FW400 are also there, but I'm only looking at the fast thoroughput options :)

 

 

Some numbers for e-SATA vs FW800 (plus crushing USB2)

 

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-Drive-SATA-vs-Firewire.html

 

I'd rather just have a native TB interface to the RAID myself. :)

post #22 of 48
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post
How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.

 

You really don't seem to understand what you're talking about, so I'd suggest boning up on why these prices are the way they are.


I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

 

Never mind that its closest analogue, the MagSafe-MagSafe2 adapter, is $10.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 48

Thanks for the heads up.

Just ordered mine in Hong Kong online store.

 
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

 

I've always thought this too. Apple charges waaayyy too much for their adapters. I didn't buy the VGA and DVI adapters from Apple because they're overpriced. Bought them elsewhere for $7, yes $7 and its the exact same thing. Works great every time! I'll wait for a cheaper solution if I were to ever need this. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #25 of 48

How about Thunderbolt to SCSI???

post #26 of 48
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post
How about Thunderbolt to SCSI???

 

Thunderbolt-punch card dongle. A bargain at $399.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Thunderbolt-punch card dongle. A bargain at $399.

Actually, that would be a bargain.

post #28 of 48

SCSI... Really???

 

This is good news, a very very welcome addition to Thunderbolt. The lack of a FW adapter was an issue for a lot of people I know.

 

It would be good to know if you can Target Disk mode through it and boot off it.

 

FW800 is a great port, but I imagine this adapter will signal its demise. I'm personally not ready for FW to go yet.

post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

 

I'd rather just have a native TB interface to the RAID myself. :)

 

Me too, but the QX2 was $279 (I already had 4 2TB drives ready to get slotted in) and a Promise Pegasus TB raid was a TON more money.  I considered it heh.  I had 2 2TB drives from last summer when my PC died and when I decided it would be more cost effective to go this route I ordered 2 more identical drives from Newegg and got the QX2 from OWC.  FW800 and e-SATA are still very solid options at least

post #30 of 48

Fortunately, built-in legacy options are always available. Like that new "Macbook Pro" with VGA.

 

I don't mind moving to adapters if it helps the main product's price, size, or other features. All the features of Firewire most likely work through this official adapter, since they are both active, intelligent, and Apple-developed protocols.

 

Sent from my LCIII keyboard via ADB-FW adapter.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #31 of 48

There is a usb3 to eSata adapter cable available on Amazon for 20 bucks: works fine

post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

SCSI... Really???

 

This is good news, a very very welcome addition to Thunderbolt. The lack of a FW adapter was an issue for a lot of people I know.

 

It would be good to know if you can Target Disk mode through it and boot off it.

 

FW800 is a great port, but I imagine this adapter will signal its demise. I'm personally not ready for FW to go yet.


It should work. You can Target Disk Mode through a Thunderbolt cable directly.

post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanyc View Post

There is a usb3 to eSata adapter cable available on Amazon for 20 bucks: works fine

 

Doesn't help me very well when I have a Mid 2011 Mac Mini that has USB2.  Also, USB3 is still slower than eSATA and USB2 is even worse.  There are reasons I asked for a TB to eSATA adapter.  TB is faster than eSATA and I'm currently not using that port for anything at all.  I think I have every other port on my Mini filled up tho :)

 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thunderbolt-performance-z77a-gd80,3205-2.html

post #34 of 48

Great news!  This was only thing holding me back from buying a new 13" MBA.  I have a number of FW800 drives used for my Lightroom Library and full backup rotation, which I've been unwilling to replace until more FW800/USB3 drives are available (most FW800 drives are still USB2).

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

 

I've always thought this too. Apple charges waaayyy too much for their adapters. I didn't buy the VGA and DVI adapters from Apple because they're overpriced. Bought them elsewhere for $7, yes $7 and its the exact same thing. Works great every time! I'll wait for a cheaper solution if I were to ever need this. 

 

We've got a bunch of those "$7 video adapters" at work -- a BUNCH.

 

We have to keep buying more because most of those adapters don't work after about a week.  It would have been far cheaper to buy Apple adapters.

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

How about the fact that this adapter doesn't cost anywhere near $29 to make, they don't market it on TV and there is no reason to charge that much other than standard Apple high margins.  I can't wait to see what its going to cost me to get a 30 pin to 19 pin adapter so I can use my iPod and iPhone in my car when the next one arrives, of course that too will likely cost $29.

 

 

Cost of manufacture has little to do with retail pricing.  What the market will bear is the over riding factor.  

 

My guess is that Apple's beancounters calculated that profit would be maximized at the $29 price point.

post #37 of 48
Is it possible to use this to connect an iMac with FireWire to a Thunderbolt external hard drive?
______________________________________
iMac 27" i7 2.93Hz, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, ATV 1080P
Airport Extreme, Airport Express
Reply
______________________________________
iMac 27" i7 2.93Hz, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, ATV 1080P
Airport Extreme, Airport Express
Reply
post #38 of 48
Originally Posted by @tiger View Post
Is it possible to use this to connect an iMac with FireWire to a Thunderbolt external hard drive?

 

No. That's backward.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by @tiger View Post

Is it possible to use this to connect an iMac with FireWire to a Thunderbolt external hard drive?

 

Is TB the same end on either side?  I'm pretty sure this is TB Male to FW female.  TB is not designed to run over Firewire tho.  TB is platform agnostic and designed to allow those other protocols over it.  My guess would be no, but I don't work for Apple, so a guess is all it is.  I think its a good one tho.

post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

How about a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt Y adapter so I can connect my original 5G iPod and my G4 cube at the same time? SRSLY! Seriously I wouldn't mind being able to burn DVDs on my firewire400 DVD writer. This accessory is the only thing keeping me from ordering a retina MacBook ...

Why can't you connect a Firewire 400 device to an 800 port? it's only a speed difference, and there has to be arbitrary clocks that could be doubled, allowing communictation, right? I don't know too much about Firewire.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter