or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad further dominates with 68% share of tablets shipped

Apple's iPad further dominates with 68% share of tablets shipped

post #1 of 41
Apple retained the lion's share of the tablet market in the second quarter of 2012, dominating with a 68.2 percent market share.

Apple's strong performance handily beat the second-place tablet maker, Samsung, which took 9.6 percent of the market with 2.4 million units shipped, according to IDC. Apple actually improved its market share from the second quarter of 2011, when it accounted for 61.5 percent of tablets shipped.

Coming in third in the second quarter of 2012 was Amazon, as the company was estimated to have shipped 1.3 million Kindle Fires, giving it 5 percent of the market. Asus came in fourth with 855,000 units shipped and 3.4 percent, while Acer took fifth with 385,000 units and 1.5 percent.

In all, IDC estimates that 25 million tablets were shipped in the second quarter of 2012, of which Apple accounted for just over 17 million. The overall tablet market grew 66.2 percent year over year, behind Apple's 84.3 percent growth from the same span in 2011.

"Apple built upon its strong March iPad launch and ended the quarter with its best-ever shipment total for the iPad, outrunning even the impressive shipment record it set in the fourth quarter of last year," said Tom Mainelli, research director, Mobile Connected Devices. "The vast majority of consumers continue to favor the iPad over competitors, and Apple is seeing increasingly strong interest in the device from vertical markets--especially education.

IDC

"While iPad shipment totals are beginning to slow a bit in mature markets where the device saw early traction, growth in other regions is clearly more than making up the difference."

IDC has predicted that the tablet market will become more competitive in the second half of 2012, with the recent launch of Google's Nexus 7 and Microsoft's forthcoming Surface tablets. However, the research firm said users may also be simply overwhelmed and confused by the number of devices available on the market.

"If anything, there's a real risk that people will have too many options from which to choose this holiday season," said Bob O'Donnell, IDC program vice president for Clients and Displays. "Consumers baffled by the differences between Amazon and Google versions of Android, or Windows 8 and Windows RT, may well default to market leader Apple. Or they may choose to remain on the sideline for another cycle.
post #2 of 41

Why isn't anyone buying an Android tablet actually using it? That's what confuses me. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 41

the market share is actually 90% to apple

IDC is a MS lapdog and cooks the book, not only are these results fabricated they also repreent devices in  the channel not sold to customer . Ok and the Kindle fire is not a tablet it is an ereader. so it doesn't count . I've used one its almost unusable as a browser.

post #4 of 41

"shipped" = sold to cutomer for apple

"shipped" for all the others means sold to retailers (in the channel), not to customer.

post #5 of 41
Did anyone actually think they wouldn't have more than 50% of the market share?

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #6 of 41

We've got an iPod situation here. 

In which case I can understand an "iPad Mini" to help round out the iPad family and further secure Apple's domination in this area. 

Apple currently owns next-gen consumer mass-computing, and given the growing trend of lumping the iPad in with PC share metrics, Apple owns computing, period. 

post #7 of 41

I don't understand.  According to market forecasts from last year, iPad market share was due to drop off a cliff after wilting under the barrage of Android tablets.  I guess these aren't the Droids we're looking for.

post #8 of 41

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Nexus 7 numbers kick in. It's seen a lot of hype, it's widely available and the price is very reasonable. That didn't stop the Kindle Fire from largely failing though.

post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Nexus 7 numbers kick in. It's seen a lot of hype, it's widely available and the price is very reasonable. That didn't stop the Kindle Fire from largely failing though.

Kindle Fire was complete garbage

post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Let's say there was much room for improvement :-)

post #11 of 41

Have you used an Android tablet? That's probably your reason ;)

post #12 of 41

So far this year I've seen maybe one Samsung tablet being used out in the wild, far more Kindles (no Fire's though) and countless of iPads.

Who the heck buys the Samsung tablets?  Oh right, only the ones that lives in basements that no one ever wants to venture down into... makes sense now.

post #13 of 41

Of course, all the iPads Apple ships are actually sold to consumers. What percentage of the other tablets are? Talk about a misleading statistic.

post #14 of 41

Android tablets shipped

Minus Android tablets just sitting in storage

Minus Android tablets just collecting dust on store shelves

Minus Android tablets returned by disappointed buyers

Minus Android tablets bought, kept, but collecting dust due to lack of full-scale quality apps*

= Android tablets are currently like Kindles: something cheap to read and watch certain things on (but without iTunes’ video and music selection!) and play some games (but not the thousands of great ones that are iOS only)

* ArtRage, GarageBand, Procreate, Inkpad, Pages, Numbers, iMovie, Keynote, Textastic, iDraw, iTunes U, OmniGraffle, iPhoto, Bento, Omni Outliner, Diet Coda, Intaglio, Freeform, TouchUp, iTeleport, ReBirth. Where are apps like these for Android? Not, “well, here’s SOME kind of app for this,” but a truly tablet-level experience and productivity? I can think of only one: Photoshop Touch. Others may exist, but can they equal the selection I’ve listed—which in fact only scratches the surface?

post #15 of 41

Microsoft's Surface is vapor ware.  It doesn't exist.  How can the writer include market share number by mentioning products not even on the market.  Today, as far as I know, no one has even tested one beyond Microsoft.  Yet, it is going to take over the world.  Excuse me

post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Of course, all the iPads Apple ships are actually sold to consumers. What percentage of the other tablets are? Talk about a misleading statistic.

Probably eventually, but they're not sold out here in my neck of the woods (Central Florida). Take a look in your local Walmart's electronics dept display case next time you pass by. At least in this area they seem to have a pretty healthy stock of iPads on hand.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Probably eventually, but they're not sold out here in my neck of the woods (Central Florida). Take a look in your local Walmart's electronics dept display case next time you pass by. At least in this area they seem to have a pretty healthy stock of iPads on hand.

Right, I do see iPads in stores very often, which is good: Apple has a serious problem when that’s not the case. But having “stock on hand” in certain stores does not mean an item is failing to sell: 10 iPads in stock, sold within hours or days, then replaced by 10 more, is not the same as 10 Samsung tablets under an inch of dust (except the one sold and returned) with 100 more in the back and 1000 in a warehouse!

post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Right, I do see iPads in stores very often, which is good: Apple has a serious problem when that’s not the case. But having “stock on hand” in certain stores does not mean an item is failing to sell: 10 iPads in stock, sold within hours or days, then replaced by 10 more, is not the same as 10 Samsung tablets under an inch of dust with 100 more in the back and 1000 in a warehouse!

Agreed. I don't think anyone in his right mind would claim there's any competing (?) tablet approaching iPad sales. But sold for Apple doesn't mean it's in a consumer's hands. It simply means someone paid for it (or is almost certainly going to) and it's very often a reseller/Telco, tho a consumer may not be that far behind to take it off their hands. Too many think sold means to an end-user.

And yeah I know, Apple gives out estimates of channel inventory as supplemental information during their investor calls. And yes I know that competitors don't typically do that. And yeah I know that competitors typically don't have a chain of company stores for direct consumer sales.

post #19 of 41

Ever since I started visiting this site I feel strange I don't have an iPad. 

post #20 of 41

I have yet to see a non-iPad tablet in the wild.

OTOH, where I live, Apple dominates.  Every time I go to the coffee shop, for instance, there are 8-10 people with laptops, almost all of which are MacBooks/Pros/Airs.  So, I doubt that my situation is necessarily indicative, but I'm still waiting to see an Android tablet.

post #21 of 41
Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

It's okay. There's no touchscreen-compatible version of Huddler, anyway.

post #22 of 41
Quote:

AI is one place where you don't want to use an iPad..... the functionality (of the site) truly sucks on iOS! lol.gif

post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Yeah,did you notice how all the tech websites like c|net wet their pants when the Fire came out, declaring it to be gold standard for small tablets? Fast forward to today and you can't find an article about the Fire anywhere.
post #24 of 41
If Apple is able to command most of the world's handset profits with only a fraction of the handset sales, and is able to command over 1/3 of the world's PC profits with only about 5-7% of the PC sales, I wonder how much of the tablet market's profit they are abel to command with 68% of tablet shipments?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Guess what! A substantial part of the andriod tablets actually sold, are bought by DaHarder.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

"shipped" = sold to cutomer for apple

"shipped" for all the others means sold to retailers (in the channel), not to customer.

i imagine shipped means both for Apple, as they sell iPads at several big box retailers.  

post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Microsoft's Surface is vapor ware.  It doesn't exist.  How can the writer include market share number by mentioning products not even on the market.  Today, as far as I know, no one has even tested one beyond Microsoft.  Yet, it is going to take over the world.  Excuse me

You're right. At this stage of the game the Surface is nothing more then a few prototypes that can't make it through a highly controlled demo. Monkey boy need to roll up one of those rubber keyboards and smoke it. 

My gut feeling is that Windows 8 will be a bigger flop than Vista and Surface will sell as well as Longhorn.

post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I actually almost bought one. I thought its smaller size might be usefull for when I am working out on the road and not putting my iPad 3 at risk for theft or damage.
After poking around the Google Play store to see how many of my favorite apps we're available. That market place is a big steaming pile of pig poo. No brainier, I decided to pass.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah,did you notice how all the tech websites like c|net wet their pants when the Fire came out, declaring it to be gold standard for small tablets? Fast forward to today and you can't find an article about the Fire anywhere.

Gold standard is the nexus. Cant beat its price/performance value

post #30 of 41

The question has to be asked, how did Samsung take sales away from Apple?  Clearly their tablet sales didn't impact Apple, their iPhone sales weren't affected since they continue to grow and grow year over year.  People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

The question has to be asked, how did Samsung take sales away from Apple?  Clearly their tablet sales didn't impact Apple, their iPhone sales weren't affected since they continue to grow and grow year over year.  People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

Not all. Idots must be protected too

post #32 of 41
…their iPhone sales weren't affected since they continue to grow and grow year over year.

Yeah, that… certainly proves… 

… 

😑
People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

That's just not right at all. If it happens with the tablets, it happens with the phones.

post #33 of 41
Quote:

Join us.  Jooooooooiiiiiiin usssssss.  Joooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin usssssssssssssssss.

post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's just not right at all. If it happens with the tablets, it happens with the phones.

Agreed. I know a couple people who have an iPad and hey can’t remember WHAT it is—they call it a laptop or “my thing” and the names “Apple” and “iPad” are not foremost in their mind, much less logos. They obviously had help even choosing to buy tablets at all (good call in my view). They just have zero interest in technology, and little experience. They’ve probably used computers (with difficulty) for nothing but email and weather for years—if even that. Now they are doing much more!

And they are surely FAR better served by an iPad than any other computing device, tablet or otherwise, that has ever been made.

If they’d gone into a store and asked for an “iPad" on the advice of a friend or relative, and the salesperson picked up on their cluelessness and said, “this is the tablet you want, because Apple won’t limit the apps it has,” and sold them a Samsung... they’d take it and never realize what they were giving up.

post #35 of 41

My gf has a Kindle fire (which is broken now) and despite all of the kindle hype and my many attempts to give it a chance it just does not compare in any way to my Ipad its almost like its not in the same genre of electronic devices.

post #36 of 41

Anecdotally, I bought a 7" tablet two years ago. Pretty bad experience. I went and got and iPad.

My friend got his wife a Kindle Fire. She never uses it.

That's all I know. 7" is not really a tablet. Like someone else here said. Tablet in the sense of being useful for web pages and magazines and PDFs.

I was going to buy a Nexus for PDFs, since I have  a Nook (Android!), but I read the Nexus sucks with PDFs due to the memory caps. Buffer or something.

There you go.

post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View PostI was going to buy a Nexus for PDFs, since I have  a Nook (Android!), but I read the Nexus sucks with PDFs due to the memory caps. Buffer or something.

There you go.

I've not seen that mentioned at all and a search doesn't offer any hits. I think it's fine for PDF's. The one I've used a few times recently had EZPDF Reader. . . I think. I'll double-check that. I can say I was impressed with how responsive it was and voice searches are amazingly fast. It's far better than my wife's Nook Color. Silly to even compare the two IMO. 

post #38 of 41
Quote:

People who buy a Samsung Android phone do so because that is what they want, they didn't go in and say wow that Samsung phone is running iOS since everyone knows if it doesn't have an Apple logo it's not Apple.

Apparently, Samsung doesn't agree with you. They reported to the court that the largest reason for returns at Best Buy was that people thought they were buying an iPhone and when the got home, they found out it was a Tab.

Besides, please explain why Samsung discarded dozens of prototypes that looked very little like the iPhone and iPad in order to select the one that looks closest to the iPhone and iPad appearance? And why did they make their packaging such a close copy? Why did they make their chargers such a close copy? Why did they make the cable such a close copy (30 pins is the only way to build a cable, right?)? It's obvious that Samsung went to a great deal of trouble to make their product look like Apple's. Why did they do that since you're convinced that no consumer would ever be fooled?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 41

in any case iPad is the best tablet

post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI is one place where you don't want to use an iPad..... the functionality (of the site) truly sucks on iOS! lol.gif

Agreed! I always view AI on my MacBook Air.

Perhaps the iOS 6 upgrade will change this functionality.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad further dominates with 68% share of tablets shipped
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad further dominates with 68% share of tablets shipped