or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Next-gen iPhone with "Gorilla Glass inlay" to launch in Sept. despite reported component shortage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen iPhone with "Gorilla Glass inlay" to launch in Sept. despite reported component shortage

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Apple's much-rumored next-generation iPhone will hit shelves sometime in September despite rumblings that component supplies may push back the device's launch date, AppleInsider has learned.

A trusted industry insider told AppleInsider on Thursday that they expect Apple still expects to launch the sixth-generation iPhone in September following a manufacturing ramp-up earlier in the month.

These views were similarly shared in a research note Friday by well-respected KGI Research analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said the next-generation handset is entering the production verification test (PVT) stage and that Apple's supply chain will be intact for the initial ramp, though availability of select components, like in-cell touch-panels made by Sharp and LG, may be tight due to low yield rates.

According to industry checks the two suppliers will be able to pump out a small number of panels and contribute to Japanese display maker JDI's already-growing stockpile, which will stand at over 10 million units before the end the third quarter. Overall, in-cell panel supply should reach between 14 to 18 million units in the third quarter, sufficient for the next-generation iPhone's rollout.

As for the smartphone's metal and glass case, up-chain suppliers suggest only two color ways will be available: black and white. Kuo went on to say the images of purportedly leaked assembled externals are "very likely authentic" and notes the metal top and bottom of the uni-body casing may feature a Gorilla Glass inlay for heat dissipation and cellular reception. The design has never been seen before and may negate the wireless connectivity issues Apple faced with the iPhone 4.

The supply of baseband chips expected to be used in the upcoming handset are not expected to be a problem for Apple as the next-gen iPhone will likely employ Qualcomm's MDM9615M silicon, an improved version of the chip used in the third-generation iPad. Because the MDM chip's die size is smaller than previous iterations, production yield is higher and most likely won't cause an issue for the mass-production of the upcoming iPhone.

width=


According to the Kuo, Apple's fiscal guidance for its fourth fiscal quarter of 2012, the expected gold master release of iOS 6 in early September and lack of a supply shortage point to an early to mid-September launch for the next-gen handset. The timetable is in-line with recent rumors that Apple will hold an as-yet-unannounced special event on Sept. 12.
post #2 of 47
The new iPhone doesn't seem worth the early upgrade, based on all the rumours and speculation, so I'll keep my 4S and avoid a potential 'shortage'.
post #3 of 47

Shortages or no, they may as well release whatever quantity they CAN make. It’s not as though people don’t know it’s coming. Demand is already being harmed by anticipation.

 

Even if mass quantity shipments can’t happen until November (or whenever) I don’t really see why it would be better to ship ZERO new iPhones in September-Octover than to ship only a limited number. Plus they can be taking back orders.

post #4 of 47
1) This new design looks absolutely brilliant in every way.

2) Haven't we heard about component shortages pretty much every year before a new release? I'm sure there are shortages but it could be because Apple has been busy buying up all the components to make yet another record release.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The insider goes on to say the images of purportedly leaked assembled externals are "very likely authentic"

 

Well it looks like what you see is what you get:

 

 

700

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) This new design looks absolutely brilliant in every way.

 

I wouldn't go that far, but I will say it's not bad. But it will need to have some "WOW" features either software or hardware to get people interested. Because the design alone is pretty standard

post #6 of 47

I must be hard to please because  the design of this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen for a generation upgrade (apart from 3 to 3S and 4 to 4S).  Is this seriously all they can come up with? The front and sides look almost identical to 4 and 4S except for a change in bottom ports, oooh, how thrilling.  The back is slightly different because of the materials used, wow, ground breaking.  It's far from ugly but it barely looks like it's evolved from a design aspect.  I'm still buying it because I need to upgrade but this is far from brilliant.  I can only pray Apple is fooling us all with the real thing secretly hidden and that the new product looks nothing like this but I fear that I will not be pleasantly surprised. Apple has a lot at stake with this next phone, they better deliver because competition is hot on their ass more than ever!!

post #7 of 47
To cause a I've got to have it stampede all Apple has to say is, "Introducing, the all new, liquid metal, iPhone." people will hear liquid metal and go nuts. Not because of what it does, but because it sounds so cool, and no other phone can have it.
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Haven't we heard about component shortages pretty much every year before a new release? I'm sure there are shortages but it could be because Apple has been busy buying up all the components to make yet another record release.

In spite of which, Mr. Cook has earned and retained a high reputation as a "supply-line wizard".

post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) This new design looks absolutely brilliant in every way.
2) Haven't we heard about component shortages pretty much every year before a new release? I'm sure there are shortages but it could be because Apple has been busy buying up all the components to make yet another record release.

Current iPhone 4 has done the job - sign me up! Data only plan for existing device repurposed for data acquisition/control.

 

Rock on iPhone!

 

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #10 of 47
Quote:
... the metal top and bottom of the uni-body casing may feature a Gorilla Glass inlay for heat dissipation and cellular reception. ...

 

This sentence makes no kind of sense whatsoever. 
I think what you mean is that the unibody back piece features glass/ceramic inlays at the top and bottom.  

Edited by Gazoobee - 8/2/12 at 7:46pm
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Shortages or no, they may as well release whatever quantity they CAN make. It’s not as though people don’t know it’s coming. Demand is already being harmed by anticipation.

 

Even if mass quantity shipments can’t happen until November (or whenever) I don’t really see why it would be better to ship ZERO new iPhones in September-Octover than to ship only a limited number. Plus they can be taking back orders.

 

It seems to me that the whole shortage issue is being well overplayed. I suppose "analysts" have to have something to say and blogs have to have something to write about. 

 

I mean they talk about shortages, but then they say there might only be 14 million or so at rollout?  Also, it's just the beginning of August for cripes sake and the event is halfway through September with a probably two week wait after the even until the day they release it.  So we won't know how many they've been able to successfully produce for two months!  Does everyone think that the companies are *happy* with the low rate?  Does no one think that they might try to do something about it in the two intervening months?  

 

I'd bet money that there will be plenty on launch day and that if there weren't, launch day would all of a sudden be halfway into October instead.  

 

I sure hope so anyway as I will be needing the 64GB white one which is the worst combination of very popular (because it's white), and not very many being made (because it's 64GB).  


Edited by Gazoobee - 8/2/12 at 7:47pm
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadan View Post

I must be hard to please because  the design of this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen for a generation upgrade (apart from 3 to 3S and 4 to 4S).  Is this seriously all they can come up with? The front and sides look almost identical to 4 and 4S except for a change in bottom ports, oooh, how thrilling.  The back is slightly different because of the materials used, wow, ground breaking.  It's far from ugly but it barely looks like it's evolved from a design aspect.  I'm still buying it because I need to upgrade but this is far from brilliant.  I can only pray Apple is fooling us all with the real thing secretly hidden and that the new product looks nothing like this but I fear that I will not be pleasantly surprised. Apple has a lot at stake with this next phone, they better deliver because competition is hot on their ass more than ever!!

The back is slightly different?The back is metal instead of glass and it's connected to the sides making the casing design different in every from the previous design.


scratch-iphone_4_frame.jpg

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadan View Post

I must be hard to please because  the design of this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen for a generation upgrade (apart from 3 to 3S and 4 to 4S).  Is this seriously all they can come up with? The front and sides look almost identical to 4 and 4S except for a change in bottom ports, oooh, how thrilling.  The back is slightly different because of the materials used, wow, ground breaking.  It's far from ugly but it barely looks like it's evolved from a design aspect.  I'm still buying it because I need to upgrade but this is far from brilliant.  I can only pray Apple is fooling us all with the real thing secretly hidden and that the new product looks nothing like this but I fear that I will not be pleasantly surprised. Apple has a lot at stake with this next phone, they better deliver because competition is hot on their ass more than ever!!

 

My thoughts exactly. This new "taller" iPhone (if it is in fact what Apple will release) is disappointing and underwhelming considering both that it has been two years since Apple introduced the iPhone 4 design and the devices like the Galaxy SIII and HTC One X that the Android competitors are putting out. It is a very mild/timid design change, it is just more of the same (this can also be said about iOS 6). The taller screen, that keeps the same width is really pointless as far as giving you more screen realstate goes (landscape mode will be as tedious as it is now, for example, if not more so) and just can't hold a candle to the SIII, Nexus or HTC One X in this regard.

 

Oh well, I'll still wait for the official Apple unveiling, before deciding but as things are, it looks like my next phone will be the SIII.

post #14 of 47

Only so much you can do with the case. Lets see how the overall iphone5 shapes up. In other words features, bells, whistles, screen size, IOS6, NFC, and........................

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stay tuned

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

To cause a I've got to have it stampede all Apple has to say is, "Introducing, the all new, liquid metal, iPhone." people will hear liquid metal and go nuts. Not because of what it does, but because it sounds so cool, and no other phone can have it.

 

For it to be a "liquid metal" phone, every single rumour and leak of the iPhone has to be 100% wrong.  

What are the odds of that do you think?  

 

It would also cost several hundred dollars over and above whatever a non "liquid metal" iPhone would cost.  

 

This doesn't seem likely to me at all. 

post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'd bet money that there will be plenty on launch day and that if there weren't, launch day would all of a sudden be halfway into October instead.  

I think the only decent way to gauge this is by how many countries they release it on day one and how quickly they scale up the countries compared to previous years. I think last year was 7 countries followed by 22 countries 2 weeks later.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 47
I would've thought they would use the mdm8960, you know, the .28 nm LTE part.
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I would've thought they would use the mdm8960, you know, the .28 nm LTE part.

Perhaps that not part number but I'll be very surprised if Apple isn't using anything other than a 3rd gen LTE chip.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I think the only decent way to gauge this is by how many countries they release it on day one and how quickly they scale up the countries compared to previous years. I think last year was 7 countries followed by 22 countries 2 weeks later.

 

Yes, they seem to play with that a bit also.  Possibly if they don't have enough they would say, release it in the US only and then Canada and UK a week or two later etc. 

 

I must say I'm not totally happy about some of their design choices this time, especially the 16:9 screen (which I abhor, but can understand their reasoning on), but I don't understand all the people saying that it's not exciting or that it seems the same.  In the first place how could anyone possibly tell without holding it in their hands?  It could be lighter, tighter, heavier, thinner, or a whole host of other things that you won't experience until you touch it and hold it.  A picture of a crassly assembled bunch of parts is not going to give anyone enough of an idea as to whether they should buy it or not.  

 

Secondly, I just don't understand why anyone who could afford it, wouldn't buy the new iPhone every single year.  It's an amazing device and gets better and more useful year by year.  On contract it costs $200 which is less then the price of a few lattes every month.  I also find the emergence of the new mobile platform fascinating.  I think it's just as exciting as when the first desktop computers appeared and just as historically important.  Even outside of the design, in the last five years whole "empires" have risen and fallen in the mobile industry.  Microsoft (Microsoft!) has been forced to change their entire business model!  

 

I just don't get how people are claiming to be bored by all this.  It's as if you were around for the birth of the automobile and could have bought one of the first Fords but didn't because it "wasn't as exciting as you thought it might be" or some such BS.  I bet that 20 years from now all the "bored" people will be lying to their grandkids, telling them that they were not only around for the "birth of iOS devices" but that they had bought every model that came out as well.  

 

IMO even if they can't afford to buy one each year, anyone who isn't absolutely thrilled to see the new model is some kind of weirdo and not anyone I would call a "techie" at all.  How could you possibly not love to live in an age when such miraculous devices are available?  How could anyone possibly be blase about it?  How could anyone claim to be interested in computers or phones and not be enthralled by all that's going on?  

post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

 

Well it looks like what you see is what you get:

 

 

700

 

 

 

I wouldn't go that far, but I will say it's not bad. But it will need to have some "WOW" features either software or hardware to get people interested. Because the design alone is pretty standard

 

I wish the screen matched the central back panel in dimensions. That alone would've been a killer feature as the diagonal of the back panel is likely 4.5"+.

post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

To cause a I've got to have it stampede all Apple has to say is, "Introducing, the all new, liquid metal, iPhone." people will hear liquid metal and go nuts. Not because of what it does, but because it sounds so cool, and no other phone can have it.

No. Most people don't know what liquid metal is so that alone wont drive any sales. People need to see wow features and bells and whistles. (ala SIRI) to buy the phone in droves. Hardware specs rarely do anything for consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadan View Post

I must be hard to please because  the design of this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen for a generation upgrade (apart from 3 to 3S and 4 to 4S).  Is this seriously all they can come up with? The front and sides look almost identical to 4 and 4S except for a change in bottom ports, oooh, how thrilling.  The back is slightly different because of the materials used, wow, ground breaking.  It's far from ugly but it barely looks like it's evolved from a design aspect.  I'm still buying it because I need to upgrade but this is far from brilliant.  I can only pray Apple is fooling us all with the real thing secretly hidden and that the new product looks nothing like this but I fear that I will not be pleasantly surprised. Apple has a lot at stake with this next phone, they better deliver because competition is hot on their ass more than ever!!

Well of you look at the Mac lineup then you'll see how Apple can quantify this as a "MAJOR" redesign.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

For it to be a "liquid metal" phone, every single rumour and leak of the iPhone has to be 100% wrong.  
What are the odds of that do you think?  

It would also cost several hundred dollars over and above whatever a non "liquid metal" iPhone would cost.  

This doesn't seem likely to me at all. 

Where did you get your information?

You can buy a Liquidmetal tennis racket for $60 or 70. Only a portion of the tennis racket is liquidmetal, but it's probably as much material as would be in the back of an iPhone.

So if you can buy an entire tennis racket for $60 or 70, what makes you think that liquidmetal would add several hundred dollars to the iPhone? I suspect the cost difference would be minimal (considering that it reduce machining costs by quite a bit) and the reason we haven't seen one yet has nothing to do with cost. They probably just haven't worked out the kinks, yet.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Secondly, I just don't understand why anyone who could afford it, wouldn't buy the new iPhone every single year.  It's an amazing device and gets better and more useful year by year.  On contract it costs $200 which is less then the price of a few lattes every month.

1) In my case it's $400 each because I do by the highest end model. I bough the 64GB iPad this year, too, and frankly I would be more than fine with 16GB. But 64GB on the iPhone is needed until I decide to clean up my iTunes library (which might be never).

2) I agree with your assessment. I even bough the 4S the day it came out. However, I was one who was plagued by the new baseband processor being a huge battery drain. It would drop 10% in an hour without being used. I also had those annoying drops with Siri that first weekend. Siri I know would iron out after people stopped testing it with stupid questions (I was one of those people) but the baseband issue looked to be something that would take some time to work out with the firmware.

I knew I could get a replacement but didn't want to risk another dud so I just returned it and would wait for the firmware to be sufficiently updated. By the time that happened I was already well into holiday mode and then after the new year it just seemed too late to invest in the new phone and I wondered if I could hold out for 2 years (actually 2.25 years) like a normal person. I've regretted that decision every day as the my Home Button is fairly ineffectual at times. iOS 6 seems to be running pretty well on it as of the latest Beta.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #24 of 47

Yet it is to the manufacturers (Foxconn) benefit to make the components for the next iPhone I wonder if some how other corporations will try to sabotage Apples manufacturing lines via Foxconn to try and hurt Apple and slow their progress in the industry.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadan View Post

I must be hard to please because  the design of this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen for a generation upgrade (apart from 3 to 3S and 4 to 4S).  Is this seriously all they can come up with? The front and sides look almost identical to 4 and 4S except for a change in bottom ports, oooh, how thrilling.  The back is slightly different because of the materials used, wow, ground breaking.  It's far from ugly but it barely looks like it's evolved from a design aspect.  I'm still buying it because I need to upgrade but this is far from brilliant.  I can only pray Apple is fooling us all with the real thing secretly hidden and that the new product looks nothing like this but I fear that I will not be pleasantly surprised. Apple has a lot at stake with this next phone, they better deliver because competition is hot on their ass more than ever!!

 

 
We are moving away from the years of the "flashy feature phone" to a point where the most interesting thing about your device is the content you have on it.
 
Get prepared for more of the same. Apple is the incumbent in a field where device manufacturers are converging on the optimal design.
 
Almost any radical structural change is going to be a backwards step. They are already adding NFC, a taller screen, a better external speaker, and shaving 2mm off the thickness.
post #26 of 47
Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post
The new iPhone doesn't seem worth the early upgrade, based on all the rumours and speculation, so I'll keep my 4S and avoid a potential 'shortage'.

 

The new iPhone, about which we know absolutely nothing other than 'it will exist', doesn't seem worth it to you.

 

This, everyone, is the sum total of what we're turning into. Look at it and be warned.

 

Originally Posted by canadan View Post
…this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen…  Is this seriously all they can come up with? …ooh, how thrilling. …wow, ground breaking. …this is far from brilliant. …pray Apple is fooling us…

 

So buy stuff from HTC, then, if you want your phone to change every three months. And you'll need to buy a new one every three months if you want to keep up with the software, too.

 

At least I feel better about being so stupid as to have wanted a Mac Pro case redesign back in the day. I wasn't alone in my early thinking, it seems. lol.gif

 

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
I wish the screen matched the central back panel in dimensions. That alone would've been a killer feature as the diagonal of the back panel is likely 4.5"+.

 

Killer feature as in 'kill off the device so that no one would want one', you mean? Because a touchscreen like that is screaming to be accidentally hit.

 

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
Hardware specs rarely do anything for consumers.

 

But… but Snapdragon! And two gigabytes of RAM! And 1.5 Gee Aych Zed! That has to be good, right? lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #27 of 47

Iphone5 is like a new car. It has to be as catchy on the outside as whats on the inside

post #28 of 47

I don't understand all the people complaining the design isn't different enough. It's an iPhone. No matter how cool the new features are, there's just not a huge reason to fundamentally change how the thing is used, and if you aren't going to change how it's used, then dramatically changing form factor every year makes absolutely no sense. That's exactly the kind of dumb move other electronics companies make and we all know how weak and forgettable those devices are.

 

The fact is, as the iPad and iPhone move into their higher generation numbers, the changes in design are bound to settle down into one that ultimately works best. Look at the Macbook and iMac lines. They don't completely change their form factor every year and no one expects them to because the closer you get to perfection, the more changes only go the wrong direction.

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Well it looks like what you see is what you get:






I wouldn't go that far, but I will say it's not bad. But it will need to have some "WOW" features either software or hardware to get people interested. Because the design alone is pretty standard

It seems the new thing apple is doing is implementing a feature that only works with the new phone.
iPhone 4- FaceTime
4S- Siri
New iPhone might just be 4G (which would be cool)- but I'm really really hoping they go with a NFC chip and make passbook a fully featured wallet.
Although, it'll probably be 4G this time and NFC next.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) This new design looks absolutely brilliant in every way.
2) Haven't we heard about component shortages pretty much every year before a new release? I'm sure there are shortages but it could be because Apple has been busy buying up all the components to make yet another record release.

 

You're right, and whatever shortages they begin with, they seem to overcome them in due course. It's what comes with pushing the technological edge over and over. It's exciting to be able to buy an iPhone this September that other manufacturers may take another year or two to match. 

 

Think of it: No one has been able to quite make a device with the resolution of the iPhone 4 and Siri, in the iPhone 4S, still does a better job of knowing what you want than anything else.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Iphone5 is like a new car. It has to be as catchy on the outside as whats on the inside

 

I hope to Got, NOT. Many new cars are not an improvement on the previous year's car. In fact, are often not as well designed for the owner's experience as before.

 

Change, for change's sake is so last century!

 

I'd rather see Apple's products evolve with each new model toward a better and better user experience like many a high-end luxury automobile. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

For it to be a "liquid metal" phone, every single rumour and leak of the iPhone has to be 100% wrong.  

What are the odds of that do you think?  

 

It would also cost several hundred dollars over and above whatever a non "liquid metal" iPhone would cost.  

 

This doesn't seem likely to me at all. 

 

While I do agree with your first statement, I'm wondering why you believe a liquid metal case would raise the cost "several hundred dollars." While, as I understand, liquid metal production is hard to get set up, but not as hard to manufacture with as Apple's current method of milling each case out of a block of aluminum. The goal is to make the cases even more rigid, light, and durable. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #33 of 47
Just for some clarification
Sharp said today 8/2 that they would begin shipping screens to Apple.Qhile this sound ad though it will hold up the Iphone5 launch keep in mind LG as well as Samsung and another Hapanese company are also supplying screens. So bottom line they should have enough Forba September launch
post #34 of 47
Just for some clarification
Sharp said today (8/2 )that they would begin shipping screens to Apple.While this sounds as though it will hold up the Iphone5 launch because of the short time till Sept keep in mind LG as well as Samsung and another Japanese company are also supplying screens. So bottom line: A September launch looks do-able:
post #35 of 47
Guys, same thing happens every year.
Pre launch people on rumour sites give out about the lack of potential ground breaking design. Say new model will be a sales disappointment.
Then apple launch the device and talk about all the wonderful enhancements from the previous model. The general public love it.
New model sells double the previous one.
Same thing will happen again
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadan View Post

I must be hard to please because  the design of this supposed new iPhone is the dullest thing I've seen for a generation upgrade (apart from 3 to 3S and 4 to 4S).  Is this seriously all they can come up with? The front and sides look almost identical to 4 and 4S except for a change in bottom ports, oooh, how thrilling.  The back is slightly different because of the materials used, wow, ground breaking.  It's far from ugly but it barely looks like it's evolved from a design aspect.  I'm still buying it because I need to upgrade but this is far from brilliant.  I can only pray Apple is fooling us all with the real thing secretly hidden and that the new product looks nothing like this but I fear that I will not be pleasantly surprised. Apple has a lot at stake with this next phone, they better deliver because competition is hot on their ass more than ever!!

My thoughts exactly. This new "taller" iPhone (if it is in fact what Apple will release) is disappointing and underwhelming considering both that it has been two years since Apple introduced the iPhone 4 design and the devices like the Galaxy SIII and HTC One X that the Android competitors are putting out. It is a very mild/timid design change, it is just more of the same (this can also be said about iOS 6). The taller screen, that keeps the same width is really pointless as far as giving you more screen realstate goes (landscape mode will be as tedious as it is now, for example, if not more so) and just can't hold a candle to the SIII, Nexus or HTC One X in this regard.

Oh well, I'll still wait for the official Apple unveiling, before deciding but as things are, it looks like my next phone will be the SIII.

I think that Apple doesn't need to change the design is because it's already perfect. The reason all competitors are constantly changing their designs is because their current ones are so poor.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think that Apple doesn't need to change the design is because it's already perfect. The reason all competitors are constantly changing their designs is because their current ones are so poor.

They are just selfconsious.

I need a 5" display, I need a quad core processor!, I need 2 GB of ram, I need a display that both larger then the isheeps and has pixels that I can't see! I don't care about washed out colors! I need billions of settings for my device! I need features I won't even use!. I need a operating system that will be stuck on my device for the life of the product becuase i cant update it when it's obsolete already! All crammed in shiney plastic! While the campaign says its designed for humans! Hey I'm human I need one!

While we suffice with a 3.5 inch display, single/DC processors with 512-1GB of ram. I'll keep my glass/aluminum IDevice thanks.

Lol

Needless to say I am a bit curious on the galxay sIII, though its mind boggling when there's muliple versions of the same device...I'd take the international version..Got to try the completion before you knock it is what I believe.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

But it will need to have some "WOW" features either software or hardware to get people interested. Because the design alone is pretty standard

 

LTE is pretty "WOW".

post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

To cause a I've got to have it stampede all Apple has to say is, "Introducing, the all new, liquid metal, iPhone." people will hear liquid metal and go nuts. Not because of what it does, but because it sounds so cool, and no other phone can have it.

I have to wonder in the greater sense what you think a company is supposed to do when marketing a new product? You seem to indicate creating a demand through innovation, design and excellent marketing is a bad thing. So what do you say about every other product that is launched? When BMW launches a new car for example do you immediately write to all the BMW fan blogs and insult their intelligence for listening to BMW's marketing and being excited about the latests and greatest version of their favorite car? Is wanting to buy such a car simply because it is cool and no other car has it? Is it really that simply? Could it be some people really love their BMWs? Have you ever considered that?

Perhaps your post was just a joke but my comment is aimed at all such negative comments and there are plenty.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

In spite of which, Mr. Cook has earned and retained a high reputation as a "supply-line wizard".

the wizard part is that the supply chain doesn't have bottlenecks and cesspools of inventory (spent cash, not convertible into profit).   When you go from Zero to Infinity, there will always be shortages.   

 

I tend to think the shortages discussion are 'orchestrated'   or more likely, the result of Apple demanding a billion parts and a bonus to hit delivery numbers, and suppliers hard pressed to meet those numbers, thereby leaving money on the table (thus, the shortage is only in their mind).   In any event, anyone 'waiting' for a new iPhone, iPad Mini, etc, will wait a couple more days/weeks, and it appears the casual buyer will be swung to an Android device by the Carriers (unless specifically asking for a new iPhone... which the buzz of a 'shortage' will drive the message home... 'everyone wants one... why?').

 

In short, I think Apple loves (maybe even instructs) shortage talk, as it whips the crazies into a frenzy, builds the length of the lines, creates a spike in demand that creates 'the largest release weekend ever' press release, along with the carriers, and the free advertising on Page one of every daily paper and weekly magazine get's 'The All New iPhone From Apple' into the heads of the 20% of the world population who need a new phone between Sept and the Chinese New Year.

 

At that point, the supply chain wizardry makes a couple billion in extra profit in it's ruthless efficiency.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Next-gen iPhone with "Gorilla Glass inlay" to launch in Sept. despite reported component shortage