or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6 - Page 4

post #121 of 172

Hey Tallest Skill, hope all is well. Generic question, should a global moderator be allowed acting like a cynical arrogant person? What do you think?

post #122 of 172
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post
Hey Tallest Skill, hope all is well. Generic question, should a global moderator be allowed acting like a cynical arrogant person? What do you think?

Good question, and obviously "generic" and not based on a specific belief. Come sit by the fire with me and allow me to completely ignore it thanks to its presentation.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #123 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

One minor but VERY important detail: The labels on Google's maps all have outlines/borders around the letters. Apple's maps don't have this.

Yes they do.

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #124 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Yes they do.

Please don't confuse the Fandroid trolls with truthful statements. Their simple emotions cannot handle it.

post #125 of 172

I think we will all miss Google maps in iOS6... I am pretty sure new maps will look good, but I also think a lot of data will be missing! I hope google releases it's own maps app for iOS! That would be win-win!

post #126 of 172

so is it realy true they wont be using google maps and if so why? i ask because i dont have a car and wont any time soon and i take public transit every where and i use google maps on my 4s all the time so they beter fix this or i might consder moving to android market and i realy dont like them

post #127 of 172

I used to enjoy DED's pieces but now they're so angry, cherry picked and verbose they're just not worth the time.  Someone among the Editorial team needs to have a chat with him because it's not making him or AppleInsider look good.  I am saying this because I like AppleInsider and every time I see an article like this one it decreases my future use of the site.

I tried a side by side comparison of maps on IOS5 and IOS6 beta in the UK over a weekend in late July around London and south east of the UK.  The simple conclusion I came to was that it didn't matter how fancy the graphics are, if the underlying information is missing, inaccurate, untimely or unobtainable then you have a serious problem.  And maps in IOS6 has some very very serious problems.  Unfortunately nice graphics on a poor data delivery application like putting beautiful lipstick on a very ugly pig and entering her in a beauty pageant.  So unless they really up their game on the backend before its launch,  iPhone5 and IOS6 will not be high priority acquisitions.

Truly good innovation comes in part from being honest, demanding the very best and never accepting mediocrity.  That is what has helped Apple get to where it is today and long may it continue.   Maps is not a new business line for Apple - it has made some serious acquisitions in this area 4 years ago - but unless a lot of the underlying data, scope and functionality issues are sorted out, the  release of Maps on IOS is not going to be one of Apple's proudest days and it will look as though SJ had to pass away before it could be released, because from what I've seen he would most likely be giving it the MobileMe treatment about now.

post #128 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWard View Post

I used to enjoy DED's pieces but now they're so angry, cherry picked and verbose they're just not worth the time.  Someone among the Editorial team needs to have a chat with him because it's not making him or AppleInsider look good.  I am saying this because I like AppleInsider and every time I see an article like this one it decreases my future use of the site.

I tried a side by side comparison of maps on IOS5 and IOS6 beta in the UK over a weekend in late July around London and south east of the UK.  The simple conclusion I came to was that it didn't matter how fancy the graphics are, if the underlying information is missing, inaccurate, untimely or unobtainable then you have a serious problem.  And maps in IOS6 has some very very serious problems.  Unfortunately nice graphics on a poor data delivery application like putting beautiful lipstick on a very ugly pig and entering her in a beauty pageant.  So unless they really up their game on the backend before its launch,  iPhone5 and IOS6 will not be high priority acquisitions.

Truly good innovation comes in part from being honest, demanding the very best and never accepting mediocrity.  That is what has helped Apple get to where it is today and long may it continue.   Maps is not a new business line for Apple - it has made some serious acquisitions in this area 4 years ago - but unless a lot of the underlying data, scope and functionality issues are sorted out, the  release of Maps on IOS is not going to be one of Apple's proudest days and it will look as though SJ had to pass away before it could be released, because from what I've seen he would most likely be giving it the MobileMe treatment about now.

I'd wait and see what happens when it is out of beta before judging. If they have the processing engine in place and OK then it may just be a matter of getting all the GIS data loaded. Or they may have screwed it up big time, but hard to tell yet.
post #129 of 172
Originally Posted by KBlack2595 View Post
so is it realy true they wont be using google maps and if so why?

Yes. Because GOOGLE IS A WORTHLESS WHORE.

…so they better fix this or i might consider moving to android market and i really don't like them

You won't move to Android. And there'll be a third-party (worse) Google Maps app.

post #130 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. Because GOOGLE IS A WORTHLESS WHORE.

You won't move to Android. And there'll be a third-party (worse) Google Maps app.

Of course it will be handicapped since it will have to use Apple mapping API's won't it?

melior diabolus quem scies
post #131 of 172

I would like to voice clarifications about the misconceptions that some are offering about Apple Maps:

Mapping and navigation is not a core competency of Google.  Mapping and navigation is an acquired competency of Google much like mapping and navigation is an acquired competency of Apple.  For example, In October 2004, Google acquired Where2 Technologies which became the basis for Google Maps.  

Apple Maps is already more than competitive with Google Maps for iOS:

Apple Maps search is superior due to a scrollable list of recent searches and auto complete options based on previous destinations (Google Maps for iOS does offer this option). 

The "garish" colors of Apple Maps provides immediate recognition of points of interest.  For example, for "Standard" maps parks are lighter green while golf courses are darker green to allow users to quickly and easily distinguish the two different types of destinations.  Road direction arrows are offered in light blue rather than a barely visible gray, to provide another example.

Apple Maps provides a clean, concise view of geographic data rather than offering every possible street name at many view levels.  For example, Apple Maps offers district names in San Francisco with major street names.  Upon zooming in for further detail more information (street names, points of interest) are offered as appropriate.  This is important because most people in San Francisco refer to districts (much like New York City) rather than street cross sections.

Location names and street names in Google Maps for iOS are highly pixelated and difficult to read.  

Google Maps for iOS flashes the traffic data every few seconds in some destinations making the solution untenable for many users.  Furthermore, in highly congested regions that traffic data is unhelpful due to a lack of filtering.  For example, San Francisco traffic is nearly always congested so providing yellow and red traffic indicators on every single street is not helpful in the least.  A much better option is to demonstrate major delays in such a region as Apple Maps appears to do.

Apple Maps (apparently sponsored) locations appear as another point of interest rather than assuming the advertised location is your destination and overwhelm the mapped area if there only a few advertisers while sponsored links as Google Maps for iOS sponsored links (advertisers).

Apple Maps already has more business listings than Google.  I should add that business listings are readily added via the Apple Maps user interface as well.  The difference is that businesses don't overwhelm the Apple Maps app as in Google Maps for iOS.  Apple Maps has many, many business listings but Apple Maps isn't an advertising platform which is the major philosophical difference between the two platforms.

Apple Maps provides a platform for developers to offer transit directions.  If Google proponents were honest with themselves they would prefer this approach as this is a more "open" approach which they often proclaim to support.

Apple Maps provides excellent alternatives to Google Street View.  Specifically, Yelp imagery is available directly from within the Apple Maps app and photos may also be added within the Apple Maps app link to Yelp as well.  This is in addition to 3D Flyover views.

Apple Maps provides a feature to add or correct information within the Apple Maps app.  Providing an externally available feature is not a good idea as Google has previously been caught defacing competing mapping company data.

Many of the preceding posts are made by individuals who are clearly dishonest and apparently support any competition to Apple products and services.

Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/5/12 at 11:49am
post #132 of 172

A well researched article in terms of iOS maps, but a poor ancient information regarding Google Maps.. well, we all know better of what we like and use. Seems like the don't like using Google Maps

post #133 of 172

Ah, the BETA argument. Will Apple Maps be indefinitly BETA as Siri is?

post #134 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Who knows, but iOS 6 hasn't even been released yet.
post #135 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

It won't be. Siri needed to be Beta because the only way to make a system like Siri is to get contextual data over a very long period of time. Apple knows how to make a Map software, has their own mapping software to add, and is licensing from Tom Tom. That said, I don't see how it will be as good as the current Maps app in usefulness and except Google to have an App Store app within the next couple of months.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #136 of 172

I am willing to place a $100 bet that Siri will not surpass Google's record-breaking Beta of 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days.  I would consider Beta release on April Fool's Day appropriate in this instance especially since the service is adware.

Furthermore, Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation.

post #137 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

I think we will all miss Google maps in iOS6...

Before you choose to speak for other people, you might want to ask their opinion.

Personally, I'll be happy to get rid of Google Maps. Google has no respect for intellectual property or privacy and I have no desire to support them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #138 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I am willing to place a $100 bet that Siri will not surpass Google's record-breaking Beta of 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days.
  I would consider Beta release on April Fool's Day appropriate in this instance especially since the service is adware.

Furthermore, Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation.

Was that a beta for their Maps software or for their GOOG-411 service? I would doubt that Siri would need to be Beta for that long as GOOG-411 was in use because I'm sure Siri gets used a lot more than Google's voice search system.

I'd argue that Google Maps in iOS 5 is better at this stage. There are some nice aspects to Maps in iOS 6 but the lack of Street View is a huge hit for me. The 3D rendering is simply something I can't find a use for, even if it was available in my area, which it's not.

post #139 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Was that a beta for their Maps software or for their GOOG-411 service? I would doubt that Siri would need to be Beta for that long as GOOG-411 was in use because I'm sure Siri gets used a lot more than Google's voice search system.
I'd argue that Google Maps in iOS 5 is better at this stage. There are some nice aspects to Maps in iOS 6 but the lack of Street View is a huge hit for me. The 3D rendering is simply something I can't find a use for, even if it was available in my area, which it's not.

Gmail was in Beta for 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days which ended July 7, 2009.  Truly astonishing considering web enabled email was a commodity by that time (Yahoo! Mail was launched on October 8, 1997 and Microsoft Hotmail was launched on July 4, 1996).  I can only assume that Google needed that length of time to properly commoditize their products (users) to their customers (advertisers) through data mining techniques.  Of course, Google may have been concerned that their weak architecture and infrastructure was problematic which, if true, was proved correct during the launch year.

I will emphasize that my original statement was "Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation."  While the loss of Google Street View may impact some users, I have never seen Google Street View user base numbers or user satisfaction data.  Yelp integration is a partial replacement as well although I might like to see Apple Maps automatically show an image of the storefront upon arrival at the destination.  The addition of speech recognition integration with spoken turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation is inarguably a massive advantage for iOS 6.  

You argue that 3D Flyover isn't available in your area but many could argue that Google Street View isn't available in their area.  Photos may be quickly and easily added to Apple Maps via Yelp integration which is not possible via Google Street View (not exceptionally bright considering the necessary maintenance required).  Apple could even enable the (known but hidden) panoramic view in Camera and allow users to capture their own street level views.  Apple could quickly and easily purchase a company or build their own architecture and infrastructure for street level views supplied by users.  While I can't speak for Apple, I am certain there are significant privacy concerns especially considering the trouble Google has already seen with Street View.

Of course, those considerations are in addition to the vast improvements and refinements in clarity and concision of the maps as well as the larger number of business listings in Apple Maps.

Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/5/12 at 7:47pm
post #140 of 172
Quote:

Gmail was in Beta for 1,923 days or 5 years, 3 months and 6 days which ended July 7, 2009.
  Truly astonishing considering web enabled email was a commodity by that time (Yahoo! Mail was launched on October 8, 1997 and Microsoft Hotmail was launched on July 4, 1996).  I can only assume that Google needed that length of time to properly commoditize their products (users) to their customers (advertisers) through data mining techniques.  Of course, Google may have been concerned that their weak architecture and infrastructure was problematic which, if true, was proved correct during the launch year.

I will emphasize that my original statement was "
Apple Maps is arguably already superior to Google Maps for iOS despite the Beta designation."  While the loss of Google Street View may impact some users, I have never seen Google Street View user base numbers or user satisfaction data.  Yelp integration is a partial replacement as well although I might like to see Apple Maps automatically show an image of the storefront upon arrival at the destination.  The addition of speech recognition integration with spoken turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation is inarguably a massive advantage for iOS 6.  

You argue that 3D Flyover isn't available in your area but many could argue that Google Street View isn't available in their area.  Photos may be quickly and easily added to Apple Maps via Yelp integration which is not possible via Google Street View (not exceptionally bright considering the necessary 
maintenance required)
.  Apple could even enable the (known but hidden) panoramic view in Camera and allow users to capture their own street level views.  Apple could quickly and easily purchase a company or build their own architecture and infrastructure for street level views supplied by users.  While I can't speak for Apple, I am certain there are significant privacy concerns especially considering the trouble Google has already seen with Street View.

Of course, those considerations are in addition to the vast improvements and refinements in clarity and concision of the maps as well as the larger number of business listings in Apple Maps.

Google Street View was in a lot more areas than Flyover. It's also not a Street View replacement. In no way should it compared as having the usage. As for Yelp showing an image and for Maps to show an image of a storefront when you arrive that is pretty useless. The great thing about Street View is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or to get info without going there. It'll be a sorely missed.

PS: Why is there so much span styling in your replying? Taking longer to clean up certain posters replying instead of replying is very discouraging.

post #141 of 172
Quote:

Google Street View was in a lot more areas than Flyover. It's also not a Street View replacement. In no way should it compared as having the usage. As for Yelp showing an image and for Maps to show an image of a storefront when you arrive that is pretty useless. The great thing about Street View is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or to get info without going there. It'll be a sorely missed.

I agree that Street View is very useful, and will be missed. It must have been a huge undertaking to cover that much ground with camera vehicles, and I don't know whether it could happen again after the fuss that was made last time. Is Google still acquiring images and updating Street View, or was it a one time deal?
post #142 of 172

Well this has turned into a right old mud slinging match between fanboys. Truly an unpleasant sight to see.

From what I've seen of the new Apple maps, and I'm not running the beta so it's just based on screen shot comparisons posted online, they appear to be a massive downgrade over Google's, despite them being rendered as vectors. Maybe they'll improve in time, maybe not, but the lack of Street View renders them essentially useless for me. 

Google have hinted that they will offer a mapping solution to plug the void in iOS 6 at some point, hopefully at iOS 6 launch so there's no map downtime for anyone. Presumably with total control over their own maps app, they could implement all of the Google Map tech from Android which has been missing on iOS for years.  If only there was a way to set default applications in iOS 6, then it really could be a seamless transition. 

Whatever happens I'm sure we'll see some amusing comparisons between Jelly Bean maps and iOS 6 maps later this year, and maybe even some Windows Phone 8 maps in there too just to add to the fun.

Oh and as for the original AA article, - it's fanboy nonsense packed full of cherry picking and half truths, and to be frank, should be removed from the site.

post #143 of 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And there'll be a third-party (worse) Google Maps app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course it will be handicapped since it will have to use Apple mapping API's won't it?

No. There's no restriction that Mapping apps must use MapKit. Google Earth already has a vector maps layer on iOS. Also, there are plenty of apps out there using OpenStreetMap based maps (mainly because they allow full offline viewing), and there's even a Bing maps app.

post #144 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I agree that Street View is very useful, and will be missed. It must have been a huge undertaking to cover that much ground with camera vehicles, and I don't know whether it could happen again after the fuss that was made last time. Is Google still acquiring images and updating Street View, or was it a one time deal?

Street view is data still very much being captured, both to update existing images and to extend coverage. There are some exceptions: I believe Google are no longer capturing new images in Germany, for example, due to legal issues.

post #145 of 172

Um. You are almost two years incorrect.

Maybe on iOS, but on Android Google has had vector maps for quite awhile.

http://pocketnow.com/android/google-maps-5-brings-vector-graphics-and-offline-navigation

Nice of you guys to catch up...

post #146 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Seems like the five Android fans thought that it was critically important to write in great detail about Google's own adventures in vector maps, even though this is completely irrelevant to iOS 6 Maps because Google won't have any way to deliver its own technologies to the default mapping client the vast majority of iOS uses will be using from here on out. 

Yes, it's terrible that they want the article's writer to actually get the facts straight.  How very obtuse of them. And how is it completely irrelevant since that was in fact the basis of the entire article? So the article was completely irrelevant than?

post #147 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Amato View Post

Um. You are almost two years incorrect.

Maybe on iOS, but on Android Google has had vector maps for quite awhile.

Oh, really?! WOW!

Thanks for the update! ;)

post #148 of 172
Quote:

PS: Why is there so much span styling in your replying? Taking longer to clean up certain posters replying instead of replying is very discouraging.

The great thing about Yelp is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or get info without going there.  It's a huge benefit.

No one has yet provided any user base data or user satisfaction data.

Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/6/12 at 11:20am
post #149 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Oooohhhhh....

That means we could have a posting elite and a trolling elite...

Edit:  And "Up your Pageviews, too!"

The all time high elite troll is Slappy.  r.i.p.

post #150 of 172
Quote:

The great thing about Yelp is that you can check a destination to make sure it's correct before you go there or get info without going there.  It's a huge benefit.

You do excellent research with included citations going by some of your earlier posts. Perhaps you could point out for those uncomfortable with the user tracking that Google does (and I think you are among those) how Yelp will be different.

post #151 of 172
Quote:

That's a great stand in for Street View if you're talking about a business and they have a street shot on the Yelp site. What if it's a residence you're looking for or something that isn't either but on a road? I've even used it to see if there was a dirt road turn off off a 2 lane highway.

post #152 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Additionally, all the people going into hysterics about Google's support for vector maps on Android: that's fine if you want to argue about a pissing match, but the reality is that Google has always had 100% of the iOS maps market and virtually 100% of Android. It will soon have virtually 0% of iOS users, and 0% of iOS third party developers, which is vastly significant because iOS is where the money is made that might trickle toward Android. 

It's interesting that your article focuses on vector maps and yet now you downplay it. Your lack of professionalism is laughable.

Oh yes, it's a big deal that Google is not going to be in iOS anymore, but it's also a big deal for consumers that Apple is offering an inferior product in its stead.

post #153 of 172

Inferior product is right.  For those of us based in China it is laughable.  Apparently Hong Kong Airport is in Shenzhen, Guangdong.  

post #154 of 172
Originally Posted by hnlperbt View Post
Oh yes, it's a big deal that Google is not going to be in iOS anymore, but it's also a big deal for consumers that Apple is offering an inferior product in its stead.
Originally Posted by hkceo View Post
Inferior product is right.  For those of us based in China it is laughable.  Apparently Hong Kong Airport is in Shenzhen, Guangdong.  

I'm glad that you're both ignoring the fact that it's in beta. That way I can just tell you both off in the same post.

post #155 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Yes, considering that iOS accounts for over 60% of the mobile market and how fast users upgrade to the latest version of iOS, Google will lose over 60% of the mobile traffic/revenue they get from Google Maps really fast. They will start losing money as soon as iOS 6 is released. The new Apple Maps is definitely not a good thing for Google, it is a serious blow as it strikes right at the heart of their business model, taking a way their traffic/revenue.

Google has been on a free ride with the success of the iPhone given that Google Maps has been the default app since the beginning, earning a ton of money from a platform it directly competes with. Apple is about to end that party.

more like 99% as the android installbase probably doesnt pay anything for maps?!? Or does someone have any other info on the subject. I Think anyways google is making their cash on advertising and maps is just a tool for the cause, iceing on the cake.

post #156 of 172

That is strange I heard Apple had more businesses in its maps than Google (20 Million more to be exact) I don't believe Apple only relies on Yelp for businesses because I know Yelp can't have 100 million businesses.  Just speaking what I heard. Have a nice day!

post #157 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

>Apple isn't serving up a public web version of its own maps as Google does, so it isn't constrained by the limits of web-based technologies.

This is actually something that annoys me. Right now, I can use Google Maps on my phone, iPad or computer and always get the same data, directions, street view, etc.

With iOS 6 I'm going to have a different mapping system on my iPad/phone than on my desktop. This is going to lead to different directions and data. This is ALREADY annoying because of the differences between TomTom on my iPhone and Google Maps; now we're going to have a third source of different information.

It'd be nice if Apple would release a web version of their maps, or even an app for the Mac to access them. An app would likely be easier to implement due to the use of vector data.

I think they will make an accessible version to computers.  I think they will either release a program to the Mac only or as an online app at iCloud.com so that only Apple customers would be able to use it

post #158 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspock View Post

" ...comfortable lead that Google and Microsoft are now struggling to match with their own simpler, basic voice recognition systems..."

LOL What ?

Google voice action / Google Now is whipping the floor with Siri

http://youtu.be/kDsOtdRtG0Q

http://youtu.be/hEfZCeQdRXs

I can link you tons of these .... Siri is taking so long, it's not even worth asking it anything.

Apple makes awsome hardware and Software, but one thing they always sucked at is cloud computing.

These are completely biased (1 wasn't even running iOS 6) Siri on my iPhone goes wickedly fast (beat Google Now every time, I tested Siri on my iPhone in comparison to the speed of Google Now in the video) and I don't even have that good of an internet connection (5 MB/s tops, usually at 2.5 MB/s) Siri on iOS 6 can do things that are actually useful (BTW both Siri's are still in beta, the current version of Siri is in beta, and iOS 6 is in beta).  You can post to Facebook and Twitter, open apps, find movies, car integration, make reservations @ a restaurant, buy movie tickets, the list goes on and on (In iOS 6 only).  Although I do like the idea of walking into a subway and having my phone tell me what trains are ready for departure it really won't be that useful when train station are plastered with signs that tell you that without you getting out your phone to find out.  Siri is overall a much better product it is clear Apple is boosting its cloud services (adding tons of new features to iCloud, adding much more languages, and expansions of data centers) The only thing Google has a leg up on is the actual voice, but as others have complained if you don't live in the USA it is literally shit!

post #159 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Since Maps.app is developed and maintained by Apple, this is really a case of Apple surpassing Apple.  Google doesn't make the app, and their back end certainly hasn't been surpassed, as has been said many times over - they do vectors, and they have better data.

The article is very disingenuous as painting the lack of vector graphics in Maps.app as a Google problem.

Yes the maps app is maintained by Apple but since Google didn't give Apple the back end for other services that Android has-the app couldn't make any progress.  Apple has surpassed the services that both Google and Apple have though.  Like many of us Apple people say-Google throws in features and doesn't think of a better way to implement it until a competitor does it for them.

post #160 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm glad that you're both ignoring the fact that it's in beta. That way I can just tell you both off in the same post.

Right, because beta is an excuse to throw out a good product in favor of an inferior one. To take it to the extreme, I can make an app that doesn't work at all, but if I am apple, I can claim it's in beta so you should all like it anyway.

When Gmail was in beta, it was an excellent product that was much preferable to hotmail and yahoo at the time. iOS maps is an inferior product, beta or not. I've been using google maps on my iphone for a while, was planning on upgrading to a newer iphone, but this downgrade leaves a bad taste.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6