or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6 - Page 5

post #161 of 172
Originally Posted by hnlperbt View Post
Right, because beta is an excuse to throw out a good product in favor of an inferior one.

But Apple's beta maps already look better than Google's release ones… 

When Gmail was in beta, it was an excellent product that was much preferable to hotmail and yahoo at the time.

You're talking about when it wasn't actually a beta. They left that sticker on there for years after it meant anything.

iOS maps is an inferior product, beta or not. 

Thanks for continuing not to get it.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #162 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're talking about when it wasn't actually a beta. They left that sticker on there for years after it meant anything.

As so many people have pointed out, Apple's maps are missing key features, such as street view. Their maps certainly do not look better than Google maps, though I suppose "beauty" can be subjective. 

And Apple slapped the beta sticker on Siri, the main selling point of the iPhone 4S. Main features should not be in beta.

It's clear that someone as strongly biased towards Apple like you should not be writing journalistic articles. You have no credibility.

post #163 of 172
Quote:

And Apple slapped the beta sticker on Siri, the main selling point of the iPhone 4S. Main features should not be in beta.

How exactly does Apple get Siri out of beta without the general public using it rampantly? Are you seriously suggesting that a few thousand devs could work out all the aspects that make up the way a digital assistant needs to understand various languages, phonemes, accents, and dialects, as well as all the parsing for cultural references and proper nouns to understand the intent of your speech?

What you should have done before you posted was to consider why, of all the keynote features Apple has released and advertised over the years, do you think that this one feature would get the Beta tag on it? Instead you've just jumped into what I assume is some anti-Apple dreamworld where Apple is failing and Steve Jobs would have never done this BS.

If you actually step back and look at the reality of the tech and the only way this tech can become a great service you will come to the realization that all such tech that tries to interpret meaning from human speech will need a massive and continual amount of data.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #164 of 172
Quote:

How do they look better?  I guess they look cleaner, but that's only because Apple have neglected to include most of the street names, points of interest and traffic data. Personally I prefer maps to be informative.

Apple's maps aren't even alpha level, let alone beta, and shouldn't be let anywhere near the public. You should never, EVER remove useful functionality from released products unless you have an incredibly powerful reason to do so. Hating Google is not a valid reason.

post #165 of 172
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post
Apple's maps aren't even alpha level, let alone beta, and shouldn't be let anywhere near the public. 

HEY, GUESS WHAT. THEY'RE NOWHERE NEAR THE PUBLIC RIGHT NOW.

📍

Maybe screaming can get through to these fools. We've tried everything else.

post #166 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How exactly does Apple get Siri out of beta without the general public using it rampantly? Are you seriously suggesting that a few thousand devs could work out all the aspects that make up the way a digital assistant needs to understand various languages, phonemes, accents, and dialects, as well as all the parsing for cultural references and proper nouns to understand the intent of your speech?
What you should have done before you posted was to consider why, of all the keynote features Apple has released and advertised over the years, do you think that this one feature would get the Beta tag on it? Instead you've just jumped into what I assume is some anti-Apple dreamworld where Apple is failing and Steve Jobs would have never done this BS.
If you actually step back and look at the reality of the tech and the only way this tech can become a great service you will come to the realization that all such tech that tries to interpret meaning from human speech will need a massive and continual amount of data.

Well said. What better source of data than over excited fans trying out SIRI every time they can. I know I have. I kept borrowing my friend's iPhone 4S just to try SIRI. haha. Hopefully by September, it will all change and be a better product overall. Though I would still like to see Google catch up to it. That way both sides can scream at their phones. ^_^

post #167 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

Street view is data still very much being captured, both to update existing images and to extend coverage. There are some exceptions: I believe Google are no longer capturing new images in Germany, for example, due to legal issues.

Probably the rest of the world won't have street view anymore thanks to those issues. Thankfully, yelp uses user donations, so in the end, it can be more expansive than street view will be in a couple of years

post #168 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Probably the rest of the world won't have street view anymore thanks to those issues. Thankfully, yelp uses user donations, so in the end, it can be more expansive than street view will be in a couple of years

If you honestly believe Yelp will ever match Street View you are seriously deluding yourself. Street View has bubbles at regular intervals on every road in dozens of countries. Millions upon millions of images.

post #169 of 172
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post
If you honestly believe Yelp will ever match Street View you are seriously deluding yourself.

The thing about people who talk objectively about infinities is that they are always, unequivocally wrong.

post #170 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Well said. What better source of data than over excited fans trying out SIRI every time they can. I know I have. I kept borrowing my friend's iPhone 4S just to try SIRI. haha. Hopefully by September, it will all change and be a better product overall. Though I would still like to see Google catch up to it. That way both sides can scream at their phones. ^_^

I agree with you, that it would be great to improve these features through use. However, Google Now has certain caught up to Siri in many respects. You are free to scream at any phone you like now.

Quote:

HEY, GUESS WHAT. THEY'RE NOWHERE NEAR THE PUBLIC RIGHT NOW.

📍

Maybe screaming can get through to these fools. We've tried everything else.

These are really mature words, coming from a moderator. Next thing you know, moderators will be removing posts that disagree with their point of view.

post #171 of 172

These are really mature words, coming from a moderator. 

Pretty big talk from someone hiding behind a disposable e-mail account like so many of the multi-account trolls we have here. lol.gif

Thanks for giving me another site to add to our list of e-mail services that we'll be banning.

Next thing you know, moderators will be removing posts that disagree with their point of view.

Note, however, that, in all seriousness, I promise you and all other members of the forum that this will never happen. At least with me.

post #172 of 172
Quote:

Pretty big talk from someone hiding behind a disposable e-mail account like so many of the multi-account trolls we have here. lol.gif

Thanks for giving me another site to add to our list of e-mail services that we'll be banning.

Note, however, that, in all seriousness, I promise you and all other members of the forum that this will never happen. At least with me.

Email accounts don't matter much right? I (and anyone else) could easily make a more legit gmail/outlook/yahoo account and use that instead, but I prefer keeping my main email account clean, which I think is reasonable. I assure you this is my only account and I have little interest in trolling. 

The last part is good to hear though. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6