or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6 - Page 3

post #81 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

One thing I can't stand on the Apple/Google maps app is using the compass. If you're using it and then touch the map to zoom out/in or check out another area the map it does this rotating adjusting thing then the compass shuts off. You totally lose your orientation. So you click to enable the compass again but the app automatically takes you out of the previous zoom level you were in (takes you to the default zoom level). That default zoom level is quite far out so then you touch the map to try to zoom in again but because you've touched the map the compass shuts off again. It's completely bonkers. It has worked like this since the beginning. I sure hope it's fixed with the new Apple Maps.

If I understand correctly the problem you are describing, then all you have to do is touch the location icon bottom left to re-enable the compass - it keeps the new zoom level.
post #82 of 172
Originally Posted by majjo View Post
Don't delude yourself into thinking AI doesn't want as much traffic as it can get tho.

They don't have to be able to post to be able to read and up pageviews… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #83 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They don't have to be able to post to be able to read and up pageviews… 

Oooohhhhh....

That means we could have a posting elite and a trolling elite...

Edit:  And "Up your Pageviews, too!"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #84 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Google has had vector maps on the web for several months now, just turn on WebGL. And this article makes it sound as if Google just discovered vector maps when Google has had them for almost 3 years.
And Google is struggling with voice dictation? Really? Please show me offline voice dictation in iOS 6. Oy, this article sounds like a fan piece. I like Apple, Google, and Microsoft, but dislike when someone is playing fast and loose with facts.
Lastly, one does not simply remove Street View or public transit directions. I don't see that going well when iOS is released to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

How can the writers on this blog continue to "LIE" day after day?  90% of the article written or copy and pasted from another site and then edited with an Apple Bias are full of lies and missing data that would completely change the story.

Google maps have vector

http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/2010/12/google-maps-now-with-vector-graphics.html

Google the 100K other article written on the subject.

APPLEINSIDER.  QUIT WRITING LIES FOR HITS AND HEADLINES.  

I guess anyone who can write ABC can now write an article for Appleinsider.

post #85 of 172

You can keep drinking the kool-aid.

I've had a test iPhone 4 with iOS 6 on it since it was released to developers.

They have a LOT of work to do.  It's slow and the search is horrible.  They will need to improve before it even gets close to the speed and ease of Google.  They will need to be able to match the results accuracy that Google has.

post #86 of 172

Bing Maps already did it. Glad to see Apple catch up.

post #87 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

There's no doubt that 3D, Vector-based maps are the future.

However - cool new 3D and navigation features aside - in terms of basic 2D maps, Apple's current implementation in iOS 6 is pretty poor compared to the Google Maps it is replacing.

Compared to Google Maps: 

• Apple's maps are often out of date (more than 10 years out of date in the case of London, UK!)
  • colours are garish (parks & water features too bright and over-emphasised)
  • many non-road features are missing (random unknown businesses names appear while significant tourist attractions and points of interest are missing)
  • building outlines are only shown in a few select cities
  • many transit features are missing. No bus stops shown, and train stations often missing or in the wrong place.
  • satellite images are poor quality (not just lacking detail but also dark washed out colours, lacking in contrast)
  • hybrid mode is sluggish on slower devices (iPad 2)

All in all, Apple maps shows promise, and could eventually be great, but is disappointing in the current iteration. In my opinion they are releasing it too early.

Google has had 10 years or so to get their maps into what they are today, with an entire team dedicated to it. No, Apple maps will not be feature-parity with Google maps on day 1. Like all their other products, they're focus 1st on the fundamentals/experience/useability, and then quickly fill in the feature gaps. However, I'd guess APple will be constantly improving their maps very, very quickly. They know how important it is, and it is indeed a massive undertaking to do it from scratch. Google has a massive headstart but I think the gap will close quickly. Apple clearly isnt playing around, and they know comparisons will be made.  

post #88 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If I understand correctly the problem you are describing, then all you have to do is touch the location icon bottom left to re-enable the compass - it keeps the new zoom level.

Not always. If you click the map to zoom far out (i.e. province/country level) then enable the compass, the app will take you all the way down to the default zoom level (city level).

If you click the map the compass turns off then the map rotates so you lose your orientation. The compass should never turn off unless I tell it to. Then when you enable the compass again the map rotates again to reflect the correct compass direction. The map should not move at all when clicking the map to zoom in or out. 2 problems right there. 3 including the zoom issue.

post #89 of 172
Quote:

Quote:

Not always. If you click the map to zoom far out (i.e. province/country level) then enable the compass, the app will take you all the way down to the default zoom level (city level).

If you click the map the compass turns off then the map rotates so you lose your orientation. The compass should never turn off unless I tell it to. Then when you enable the compass again the map rotates again to reflect the correct compass direction. The map should not move at all when clicking the map to zoom in or out. 2 problems right there. 3 including the zoom issue.

I see. At least on my IP4 and iPad, you can pinch to zoom in or out without leaving compass mode. If you do leave compass mode, you have to tap the location button twice to get back, and the first tap puts you into location mode, which is why it takes you back down to city level. However, I agree that it would be nice to enable location+compass without changing zoom level.
post #90 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

>Apple isn't serving up a public web version of its own maps as Google does, so it isn't constrained by the limits of web-based technologies.

This is actually something that annoys me. Right now, I can use Google Maps on my phone, iPad or computer and always get the same data, directions, street view, etc.

With iOS 6 I'm going to have a different mapping system on my iPad/phone than on my desktop. This is going to lead to different directions and data. This is ALREADY annoying because of the differences between TomTom on my iPhone and Google Maps; now we're going to have a third source of different information.

It'd be nice if Apple would release a web version of their maps, or even an app for the Mac to access them. An app would likely be easier to implement due to the use of vector data.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Think Different.

post #91 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Kudos on a well researched and written article!

Ditto, Dan.

An article to be proud of.

post #92 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I don't mind a little bit of Apple spin ladled on, but this one has a bucket poured over it.

DED is such a tool.

I don't mind reading a little constructive criticism, but you sound like you have some kind of vendetta.

. . . 

post #93 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziteke View Post

I did my research and I agree that Google did indeed have vector based maps on Android devices back in Dec 2010, so the writer is biased. I think the writer should have focused more on the free seamless transition to Apple's maps and the HUGE loss to revenue to Google. For example, for you to experience the vector based maps on Android you need to have the right hardware/software combo, this is less of an issue when it comes to Apple. Also most mobile based traffic (web included) comes from Apple devices

I'll take your word for it, but what use are vector maps if they don't perform well?

Agree with you that there is a deeper and more interesting story here that needs to be explored.

post #94 of 172
Quote:

I see. At least on my IP4 and iPad, you can pinch to zoom in or out without leaving compass mode. If you do leave compass mode, you have to tap the location button twice to get back, and the first tap puts you into location mode, which is why it takes you back down to city level. However, I agree that it would be nice to enable location+compass without changing zoom level.

Zooming in while in compass mode seems fine (if you're careful with the correct pinching technique). Zooming out is another story. I can do it if I'm REALLY careful with making sure it's a pinch and not touch (this is also annoying) but when you try zooming out to say state/province level watch what happens. Maps will eventually read it as a touch not pinch and boom you've lost your compass orientation. It definitely needs work. 

Example: I'm heading east in compass mode. I zoom out because I want to see my direction in relation to the state/province. Eventually with enough zoom out pinches you'll lose the compass and since you have now disabled the compass, the map arbitrarily rotates about 45 degrees. Then you click back to get the compass. Now you have lost your zoom level and have to start all over again only to encounter the same problem. This is not a very good compass / maps combo.

If you mostly use the compass in your home town you might never notice since you wouldn't need to zoom out so often. However, I'm living in Japan and zoom out all the time to get my bearings. It's a very sloppy implementation IMHO.

post #95 of 172
Quote:

Quote:

Zooming in while in compass mode seems fine (if you're careful with the correct pinching technique). Zooming out is another story. I can do it if I'm REALLY careful with making sure it's a pinch and not touch (this is also annoying) but when you try zooming out to say state/province level watch what happens. Maps will eventually read it as a touch not pinch and boom you've lost your compass orientation. It definitely needs work. 

Example: I'm heading east in compass mode. I zoom out because I want to see my direction in relation to the state/province. Eventually with enough zoom out pinches you'll lose the compass and since you have now disabled the compass, the map arbitrarily rotates about 45 degrees. Then you click back to get the compass. Now you have lost your zoom level and have to start all over again only to encounter the same problem. This is not a very good compass / maps combo.

No - I agree - you have to be careful zooming and this could be improved. I guess the problem is that compass mode requires location mode and the software intentionally disengages location mode if it thinks you are trying to recenter the map.
post #96 of 172
Quote:

No - I agree - you have to be careful zooming and this could be improved. I guess the problem is that compass mode requires location mode and the software intentionally disengages location mode if it thinks you are trying to recenter the map.

What do you think the location confirmation window? I turn it off which already requires quite a precise click. Not like you can hit it by mistake. You still get a confirmation window to turn it off. I feel like chewing my phone whenever this pops up. 

Of course I want it off. I clicked the settings icon and the location service menu to get there in the first place!  lol

post #97 of 172
Quote:

Quote:

What do you think the location confirmation window? I turn it off which already requires quite a precise click. Not like you can hit it by mistake. You still get a confirmation window to turn it off. I feel like chewing my phone whenever this pops up. 

Of course I want it off. I clicked the settings icon and the location service menu to get there in the first place!  lol

Not sure what you are referring to there. Which window is that?
post #98 of 172

Seriously, they just could have renamed this article "Yet another boring reason why we find Apple superior".

They dismiss the lack of Streetview and only mention in briefly, but write a (way too long!) article about these vector graphics.

Come on! It's time they start writing a neutral post, or bash Apple on a specific subject. That would be so refreshing.

post #99 of 172

Nice that they have 3D model support in their backyard, but what about the rest of the world?

It seems to kinda suck not having streetview and no alternative. 

And shit... look here! I just enabled the 'vector layer' in Google Maps!
This article is a piece of shit!

post #100 of 172

While vector graphics are an advantage over bitmaps, however, most users use the satellite image view, because it lets you identify areas more clearly. So, I'm sorry to say this, but if you want to sell a maps tool, make your marketing over satellite images, not maps, because you won't convince anybody with maps no matter if they're vector or bitmaps.

Also, streetview is no longer a "cool" feature, but a must-have one. Many architects, engineers, and artists, use streetview for their work, letting them add quick previews of an area before visiting it. So, any professional who is currently using streetview, needs it as a must-have feature.

I'm not sure how Apple could add streetview, considering the legal issues Google had when doing it (some countries didn't allow Google to do streetview on their territory).

ecs

post #101 of 172
Quote:

You know, you go to settings - > location settings - > off and you're presented with a confirmation window to turn off location settings. "iPhone Search needs Location Settings. If you turn it off you won't be able to use this service. Are you sure you want to turn it off blah blah blah". Very annoying. I think it's obvious you want to turn location settings off if you have already entered the settings app and then the location settings menu. OSX usually gives you the ability to turn on/off confirmation dialogues, but I guess iOS doesn't. 

Edited by success - 8/4/12 at 12:16am
post #102 of 172

It's interesting that Apple partnered with TomTom for turn-by-turn directions.  With the cash in their war chest, and since their last mapping partnership didn't quite work out, they could just bought them outright.

post #103 of 172

Nice, what a comprehensive article!

Apple's new vector maps look absolutely amazing. The ability to cache large areas of the map for offline use are a great innovation too. Wonder how long it will take for Google and Android to catch up and ditch their old, busted bitmapped maps. This next generation of maps is going to be fantastic.

post #104 of 172
Quote:

Quote:

You know, you go to settings - > location settings - > off and you're presented with a confirmation window to turn off location settings. "iPhone Search needs Location Settings. If you turn it off you won't be able to use this service. Are you sure you want to turn it off blah blah blah". Very annoying. I think it's obvious you want to turn location settings off if you have already entered the settings app and then the location settings menu. OSX usually gives you the ability to turn on/off confirmation dialogues, but I guess iOS doesn't. 

OK. I've not had any reason to turn off location services, so I had not seen that.
post #105 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledorm View Post

Nice, what a comprehensive article!

Apple's new vector maps look absolutely amazing. The ability to cache large areas of the map for offline use are a great innovation too. Wonder how long it will take for Google and Android to catch up and ditch their old, busted bitmapped maps. This next generation of maps is going to be fantastic.

You obviously didn't read any of the other comments.
post #106 of 172
Quote:

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm in purpledorm's post ;)

post #107 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

Quote:

I think I detect a hint of sarcasm in purpledorm's post 1wink.gif

I did wonder about that too, but in the context of the discussion it didn't seem quite enough of a hint.
post #108 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I guess you missed the part where I said I am a former Android user and now happily own an iPhone 4S. I am not a fandroid by any stretch of the imagination. So calm down DED, take a deep breath and relax. You really don't handle constructive criticism very well. And why even pick my post to assault? There were a dozen more posts far more detailed and critical.

Stick to the issues, like DED does; personalities don't tend to contribute anything but (negative) emotion to the discussion and are not helpful. This is key to enjoying blog sites like AI.

By way of comparison, and to explain the point being made here, count the number of uses of the word "I", "you", "my" in all posts by the author and by others responding critically to the article.

A lot of "contributors" here purporting to "portray the facts" and "uncover lies" are simply trolling professionally with a few half-truths and plenty of insults; others are trying to set the record straight and stick to the science, pushing the envelope of readers' knowledge with cool facts. The latter educate and enlighten, the former simply muddy the waters and reduce everything to a pi**ing contest of schoolboys, provoking flame wars.

A lot has been revealed here about mapping technology, both by this article and many of the constructive rejoinders written by people who are knowledgeable about and/or involved in Mapping - that's what the topic is about, not whether one is a returning Android, iOS or Windows Phone user, facts that are totally unhelpful to the issue under discussion. 

post #109 of 172
Quote:

Nope, I didn't! There were so many words and pictures in the article, and reading all the comments is just too much work. What did I say that was wrong?

The article argues that vector maps are far superior to bitmaps, which I find hard to disagree with. Just look at the screenshots comparing the ugly zoomed in pixels from the current iOS maps against the vector app. It goes on to say that Apple is working on maps using this brand new technology and that Google is also working on it too but will struggle to catch up.

post #110 of 172
Quote:

Quote:

Nope, I didn't! There were so many words and pictures in the article, and reading all the comments is just too much work. What did I say that was wrong?

The article argues that vector maps are far superior to bitmaps, which I find hard to disagree with. Just look at the screenshots comparing the ugly zoomed in pixels from the current iOS maps against the vector app. It goes on to say that Apple is working on maps using this brand new technology and that Google is also working on it too but will struggle to catch up.

A lot of posters pointed out that Google already has that kind of mapping (vector/GIS - whatever the correct description is), and that the limitations described only apply to the implementation in iOS. The article did not make that clear at all.
post #111 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Stick to the issues, like DED does; personalities don't tend to contribute anything but (negative) emotion to the discussion and are not helpful. This is key to enjoying blog sites like AI.

By way of comparison, and to explain the point being made here, count the number of uses of the word "I", "you", "my" in all posts by the author and by others responding critically to the article.

A lot of "contributors" here purporting to "portray the facts" and "uncover lies" are simply trolling professionally with a few half-truths and plenty of insults; others are trying to set the record straight and stick to the science, pushing the envelope of readers' knowledge with cool facts. The latter educate and enlighten, the former simply muddy the waters and reduce everything to a pi**ing contest of schoolboys, provoking flame wars.

A lot has been revealed here about mapping technology, both by this article and many of the constructive rejoinders written by people who are knowledgeable about and/or involved in Mapping - that's what the topic is about, not whether one is a returning Android, iOS or Windows Phone user, facts that are totally unhelpful to the issue under discussion. 

Yes it really is too bad that so many AI commenters simply can't really express themselves coherently (as you do, and thanks for that) whether they are agree, disagree, or have something constructive, additional or even just a subjective opinion to add. That's really sad. 

Seems like the five Android fans thought that it was critically important to write in great detail about Google's own adventures in vector maps, even though this is completely irrelevant to iOS 6 Maps because Google won't have any way to deliver its own technologies to the default mapping client the vast majority of iOS uses will be using from here on out. 

And that's a really big deal, on the same level (for example) as the shift we all observed when Apple introduced MP4/AAC and H.264 as audio and video standards, killing off the proprietary WMA/WMV and ATRAC formats that Microsoft and Sony hoped to make popular. Sure, both MS and Sony contributed to those standards later, but it was Apple that shifted what everyone was using via its leverage with iTunes. 

Same thing with Safari & WebKit. Everyone thought the web would always be a two horse race between Netscape/Mozilla and Microsoft. Now, those two don't even matter so much, certainly not in the mobile realm. Same thing with Flash.

The interesting point that these angry Android/Google fans are missing is that while Google may have some impressive mapping technologies (and it certainly does), it is suddenly about to lose half of the mobile device market.

And lets get real: while you can enable WebGL maps on the desktop, most people aren't using it because its a special opt in beta, and its still rather slow even on modern desktops. 

Additionally, all the people going into hysterics about Google's support for vector maps on Android: that's fine if you want to argue about a pissing match, but the reality is that Google has always had 100% of the iOS maps market and virtually 100% of Android. It will soon have virtually 0% of iOS users, and 0% of iOS third party developers, which is vastly significant because iOS is where the money is made that might trickle toward Android. 

Here's the first review visible on Google Play for Android Maps: "This new offline thingy is BS! Never works well, put asides, maps works only with a data connection, and constantly running in the background."

post #112 of 172
Quote:

A lot of posters pointed out that Google already has that kind of mapping (vector/GIS - whatever the correct description is), and that the limitations described only apply to the implementation in iOS. The article did not make that clear at all.

Thank you, I see. It seems that it's Apple playing catch-up, not the other way around.

The article misled me into believing that Android maps relied on the same outdated renderer as the one Apple uses.

post #113 of 172
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you, I see. It seems that it's Apple playing catch-up, not the other way around.

The article misled me into believing that Android maps relied on the same outdated renderer as the one Apple uses.

I guess they are obviously playing catch-up since they had no mapping service of their own before this. Which of them ends up ahead still remains to be seen. Google maps are pretty impressive even on iOS, but I wouldn't bet against Apple. At any rate, the competition should be good for everyone.
post #114 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

The interesting point that these angry Android/Google fans are missing is that while Google may have some impressive mapping technologies (and it certainly does), it is suddenly about to lose half of the mobile device market.

Yes, considering that iOS accounts for over 60% of the mobile market and how fast users upgrade to the latest version of iOS, Google will lose over 60% of the mobile traffic/revenue they get from Google Maps really fast. They will start losing money as soon as iOS 6 is released. The new Apple Maps is definitely not a good thing for Google, it is a serious blow as it strikes right at the heart of their business model, taking a way their traffic/revenue.

Google has been on a free ride with the success of the iPhone given that Google Maps has been the default app since the beginning, earning a ton of money from a platform it directly competes with. Apple is about to end that party.

Edited by Evoken - 8/4/12 at 9:23am
post #115 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Seriously, they just could have renamed this article "Yet another boring reason why we find Apple superior".

They dismiss the lack of Streetview and only mention in briefly, but write a (way too long!) article about these vector graphics.

Come on! It's time they start writing a neutral post, or bash Apple on a specific subject. That would be so refreshing.

This is www.appleinsider.com. 

There are a million and one other sites that bash Apple, everyday, if that's what you're desperately seeking. Why don't you, I don't know, maybe visit one of those, instead of demanding such an Apple-bashing article from this site?I find this site refreshing because it's different. I like Apple, and sometimes I like to read positive articles about them, instead of of the 95% anti-Apple bashing crap that infests most other places. If I want anti-Apple stuff, I know where to go, and there's enough options to last a lifetime. Your complaint in non-sensical. 

Edited by Slurpy - 8/4/12 at 10:45am
post #116 of 172
Quote:

And trolling is trolling. Would you prefer I stop banning the spambots and let them overrun the site, too?

You have ban powers? You certainly don't ever seem to use them, even with obvious troll cases. 

post #117 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

And trolling is trolling. Would you prefer I stop banning the spambots and let them overrun the site, too?

You have ban powers? You certainly don't ever seem to use them, even with obvious troll cases. 

He just used them. Jerry is gone.
post #118 of 172
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

People cry foul if someone with banning powers remains part of the discussion. They feel that it's an "unfair advantage", despite the fact that it would be infantile and completely idiotic to ban someone or delete posts over a simple disagreement.

I agree with you that blatant trolls don't deserve to fall under that caution umbrella, and while I trust myself not to abuse it it's still a slippery slope to some.

And that was Marvin that took out ConradZitherGestan26 this last time. Join the contest to see who can find his next iteration first!

post #119 of 172

I hope Apple will be fanatic going vector in more places. For instance, iBooks Author is very bad at handling SVG and PDF, even converting them to low resolution images when creating the actual iBook.

post #120 of 172
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

I hope Apple will be fanatic going vector in more places. For instance, iBooks Author is very bad at handling SVG and PDF, even converting them to low resolution images when creating the actual iBook.

Dear heavens, that's exactly what I need. I hope iBooks Author gets SVG support posthaste… Then I can drop my glorious vector maps in there.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6