or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show

Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show

post #1 of 97
An email presented in the Apple v. Samsung trial on Friday from Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue to iOS chief Scott Forstall hints that discussions of building a smaller 7-inch iPad were in motion since at least 2011 and may have had the backing of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The email from January of 2011 was revealed by Samsung as evidence in the company's cross-examination of Forstall, reports The Verge, though the exact purpose of presenting the exhibit is unknown.

From The Verge:

Wow. Forstall is shown a 2011 email from Eddy Cue, in which Cue forwarded an article that a journalist wrote about dumping the iPad after using a Galaxy Tab. Cue writes "Having used a Samsung Galaxy [Tab], i tend to agree with many of the comments below... I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one. I expressed this to Steve several times since Thanksgiving and he seemed very receptive the last time."

When asked in 2010 about the prospect of a smaller iPad, Jobs said, "The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software. As a software driven company we think about the software strategies first." He went on to say the 7-inch form factor "isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps."

Cue's email is in line with swirling rumors of an upcoming "iPad mini" which is expected to take on a smaller 7.85-inch form factor and may see a fall release. In July, a purported "engineering sample" of the device was pictured, showing reconfigured speaker placement and the smaller dock connector first seen on rumored iPhone prototypes. The number of pins or electrical contacts in the supposed connector is disputed, however, as previous reports said Apple would cut the number to 19 while more recent claims point to an 8-pin solution.

Cue e-mail
Source: CNet

Sources say the new iPad model will use older screen technology identical to the iPhone 3GS instead of newer Retina display tech to ease costs and help with manufacturing ramp-up.

Apple is also rumored to be preparing for a Sept. 12 special event that many believe will see the debut of a next-generation iPhone.
post #2 of 97
I told you guys what Steve poo-poos in public he works on in secret.
post #3 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

This is proof that Apple copied the smaller Tablet idea from Samsung.
How much clearer can it be after the email clearly states it.
The press is going to have a field day with this is.
So then I guess Google and Asus copied Samsung too? Didnt know Samsung had a patent on 7" devices.
post #4 of 97

Huuuuhhhhh?!  What was the deal with "sandpaper" and all that?! </sarcasm>

Wouldn't be the first time Steve reneged on his philosophy! 

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #5 of 97
Quote:

This is proof that Apple copied the smaller Tablet idea from Samsung.
How much clearer can it be after the email clearly states it.
The press is going to have a field day with this is.

Quote:

I didn't know Apple had a patent on rectangles.

Neither copied the other on just the shape or size. Apple's argument is that 'overall' Samsung is making products very close to that of Apple's, I think (and hope the jury won't) people are missing the key arguments here.

post #6 of 97
Quote:

You can't be that stupid. Unless your astroturfing.
post #7 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Actually, I think he can be that stupid. Samsung has confused a lot of people over what this case is about.

post #8 of 97
Quote:

*facepalm*

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #9 of 97
Quote:

He registered when, yesterday?  lol.  Obviously he's a troll.  AI has become a magnet for Droidster trolls.

post #10 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Wouldn't be the first time Steve reneged on his philosophy!  Probably why he was a Democrat, I JEST, I JEST!

/

/

/

Funny indeed! Say, why are you tapping your foot under the stall wall?

post #11 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Or, you know ... he's an adult that changes his mind once in a while.  

post #12 of 97

I sure hope if the mini is real, that all the leaks of prototypes and cases are wrong because they all show a 16:9 device.  

post #13 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Or, you know ... he's an adult that changes his mind once in a while.  

Watch the Steve Job interview video's with All Things D over the years... he does appear to poo - poo / change his mind a few times... very interesting to watch the progression from 2001 onward. 

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Funny indeed! Say, why are you tapping your foot under the stall wall?

I see what you did there... sly dog you. You jest, you jest!

post #15 of 97
Quote:

I sure hope if the mini is real, that all the leaks of prototypes and cases are wrong because they all show a 16:9 device.  

It'll likely be the rumored 7.85 inched diagonally with a 4:3 aspect ratio at 1024x768 so as to retain compatibility with the existing iPad app library.

The downfall of this configuration is that it'll mean the device is rather too wide to hold comfortably with one (average sized) hand, which happens to be one of the more appealing aspects of almost every other (near) 16:9/7 inch tablet device.

Anyway... It's interesting to see all the 're-writing of history' going on within the Apple ranks lately.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #16 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

He registered when, yesterday?  lol.  Obviously he's a troll.  AI has become a magnet for Droidster trolls.
Not as bad as MR.
post #17 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Watch the Steve Job interview video's with All Things D over the years... he does appear to poo - poo / change his mind a few times... very interesting to watch the progression from 2001 onward. 

His biography is reported to be full of similar incidents also.  

The people trying to catch him in a lie or inconsistency have the viewpoint of the average twelve year old IMO.  Intelligent adults with open minds change them all the time based on whatever new information arises.  

If he was really as close minded and certain of his rightness at all times and afraid to be caught in a "mistake" or changing his opinion he couldn't have run the company at all.  His best job prospect would be to be an Internet troll ...

post #18 of 97
Not as bad as MR.

We shouldn't keep using that as a means to sweep it under the rug, though. Eventually we won't be able to say it anymore…

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #19 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An email presented in the Apple v. Samsung trial on Friday from Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue to iOS chief Scott Forstall hints that discussions of building a smaller 7-inch iPad were in motion since at least 2011 and may have had the backing of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

Well, so much for all the people who insist that there's no way Apple could ever make a 7" iPad and that it would be a terrible idea.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #20 of 97
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Well, so much for all the people who insist that there's no way Apple could ever make a 7" iPad and that it would be a terrible idea.

It's a terrible idea. That Apple would be open to making one doesn't change that. I fail to see how it could.

post #21 of 97
Steve being "receptive" to Eddy:

"Eddy, cut out this 7-inch iPad shit already. I told you last week over sushi that I'd think about it."

Steve never got back to Eddy.
post #22 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

The tech wasn't to his liking at the time, as it was the iPad was a gamble.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #23 of 97

If a 7" tablet isn't announced by Apple by October then I'm buying a Nexus 7. It is a great size for reading books and articles on the internet. I don't play games so that aspect doesn't interest me. I'll probably watch some Youtube videos with it and perhaps use it for showing some of my business materials to prospective clients. Jellybean is good enough to do all of those things really well.

Once the OS is working well I really won't need to upgrade it. I'm still using 10.5.8 and it works just fine for most of the things I do. The hardware is getting a bit old when it comes to playing streaming video. It can't always keep up because of the 667 MHz buss.

post #24 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a terrible idea. That Apple would be open to making one doesn't change that. I fail to see how it could.

That's why you don't work for Apple.

I'd preorder sight unseen. Mark me down for 2 Apple.
Edited by Andysol - 8/3/12 at 4:26pm

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #25 of 97
Quote:

So then I guess Google and Asus copied Samsung too? Didnt know Samsung had a patent on 7" devices.

my wife says I have the patent on 7" devices....  

Tip your waitresses... I'm here all week.

post #26 of 97

but in reality... having an email stating someone used a 7" Samsung tablet and perceived there was going to be a market at that size.   That's considered 'copying' a device?   

Honda:  "I've driven a Ford Explorer, and I think people will buy them, Let's Build a Honda Pilot..." (Ford:  "You owe us Royalties... we've patented the general size category"

Seems a ludicrous argument.

post #27 of 97
Quote:

What's your point? What Apple releases as a product is what's important, not the early development work. I'm quite sure they are working on a ton of different products and designs all the time and only a few of those will ever see the light of day.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If a 7" tablet isn't announced by Apple by October then I'm buying a Nexus 7. It is a great size for reading books and articles on the internet. I don't play games so that aspect doesn't interest me. I'll probably watch some Youtube videos with it and perhaps use it for showing some of my business materials to prospective clients. Jellybean is good enough to do all of those things really well.

Once the OS is working well I really won't need to upgrade it. I'm still using 10.5.8 and it works just fine for most of the things I do. The hardware is getting a bit old when it comes to playing streaming video. It can't always keep up because of the 667 MHz buss.

Have fun with that.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have fun with that.

He will. The Nexus 7 is an amazing product.

post #30 of 97
Quote:

So what does that make your post?  What are you NOT supposed to do to a troll, again?

post #31 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It would; but a larger iPod touch would eminently practical.

Cheers

post #32 of 97
It feels good to be proven accurate.

Quote:

Steve never said that a smaller tablet couldn't be viable. They made their choice about the 10" tablet and it's done extremely well so it's hard to argue that it was the wrong choice to start with. His comments about the 7" tablets failing in the market was qualified with a reference to the lot of 7" tablets. He was dead on balls accurate.

As the iPad matures I expect to see more than 1 or even 2 sizes. It's not just about the HW but the OS, developer tools and apps to allow for an optimizing for the display size and resolution, a problem that has a large window or variance. in a standard desktop OS.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #33 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

He will. The Nexus 7 is an amazing product.

I would say the Nexus 7 is the best $199 tablet on the market but it's hard to say that it's an amazing product. It's like saying a McDonald's cheeseburger is an amazing product simply because they sold it at or below cost. Regardless of the price it ain't no steak dinner.

post #34 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would say the Nexus 7 is the best $199 tablet on the market but it's hard to say that it's an amazing product. It's like saying a McDonald's cheeseburger is an amazing product simply because they sold it at or below cost. Regardless of the price it ain't no steak dinner.

The idea that I have in mind is high quality small size
Filet%20Mignon.jpg

Edited by mstone - 8/3/12 at 5:31pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #35 of 97
Quote:

I am pretty sure a saw a 4:3 model pictures somewhere. Its not a lot smaller than the current ipad so if they sell it at a much lower price its going to sell like hotcakes.
post #36 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Anyway... It's interesting to see all the 're-writing of history' going on within the Apple ranks lately.

Yes, there are so many haters that are getting proven wrong about who was actually first. For example, the losers who always brought up the F700/Prada. Seeing that Apple had physical working prototypes long before there were rumors of these POS phones completely invalidates millions of their useless posts in Apple forums around the world.

History is being made, and the more information that comes out in this trial the better Apple looks all the time.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #37 of 97
Quote:

Well you have to change your opinion for the better idea. Nothing wrong with that. 

post #38 of 97
Quote:

Huuuuhhhhh?!  What was the deal with "sandpaper" and all that?!

Doesn't mean it will happen. Or that it will be a smaller iPad. Could be a bigger iPod touch, which has a UI that is better in tune for effective use on a smaller screen

Keep in mind that we are hearing second, perhaps even third hand, what was said and happened. Even the quote doesn't say '7 inch iPad'. Steve was known for telling folks to convince him that he's wrong. So perhaps the conversation was about doing something at that size and Steve's reply was 'show me how we can do it with a compromise on quality.'
post #39 of 97
It is more a question of marketing what you have 100% at the time. Or in other words you can't sell what you don't have.
Quote:

post #40 of 97
Quote:

Not as bad as MR.

...who's nowhere near as bad as daHarder....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show