or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show - Page 3

post #81 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well, so much for all the people who insist that there's no way Apple could ever make a 7" iPad and that it would be a terrible idea.

You should probably hold that comment into Apple announces it.

Or at least loses the prototype in a bar

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #82 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You should probably hold that comment {Well, so much for all the people who insist that there's no way Apple could ever make a 7" iPad and that it would be a terrible idea.} into Apple announces it.
Or at least loses the prototype in a bar



No need. The point was that people have been insisting that Jobs would never have allowed a 7" iPad and thought it was a terrible idea. This testimony refutes that position - even if Apple never releases a 7" iPad, it's clear that Jobs was not vehemently opposed to the idea.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #83 of 97
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
The point was that people have been insisting that Jobs would never have allowed a 7" iPad and thought it was a terrible idea. This testimony refutes that position - even if Apple never releases a 7" iPad, it's clear that Jobs was not vehemently opposed to the idea.

 

Cue says he was. And uses an e-mail that isn't from Jobs and doesn't even CC him to prove it. Jobs' receptivity is not what you're thinking.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #84 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cue says he was. And uses an e-mail that isn't from Jobs and doesn't even CC him to prove it. Jobs' receptivity is not what you're thinking.

I suspect that Cue knows more about Jobs' opinions than you do.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #85 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

I didn't know Apple had a patent on rectangles.

 

Well now you do.

post #86 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

Come on Sloppy.

Do you own one?
Have you tried the Jelly Bean Experience on the Beautiful Tablet?

If not, then please don't make a comparison.

I've got both the iPad (New, 3, Apple can't think of a name) and the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 is all about the beauty of the Tablet and the Beauty of the Jelly Bean Experience.

Edit:  The 7 inch Tablet is light easy to hold with 1 hand and the back of the tablet having the grip to comfortably hold it and not worry about scratching it without putting it into a case.  It's rugged beauty.

What..? The Nexus is far from a beautiful experience, I can't count how many times I've wanted to smash mine...and I have a I/O unit so I had mine before the public did.

Worry about scratching it? Ha mines scratched to living hell from daily use, they simply cheaped out that's why it's been returned in swarms from QC issues.

It's a nice try, but not a "High quality product"
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #87 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post


What..? The Nexus is far from a beautiful experience, I can't count how many times I've wanted to smash mine...and I have a I/O unit so I had mine before the public did.
Worry about scratching it? Ha mines scratched to living hell from daily use, they simply cheaped out that's why it's been returned in swarms from QC issues.
It's a nice try, but not a "High quality product"

I hope my future experience won't be the same. After playing around with a Nexus 7 a few times in the past couple of weeks I picked one up for myself. It certainly feels like a premium tablet so far, and responsiveness has been great. There's been no discernable lag, games like "The Dark Knight Rises" play smoothly without hiccups (huge download BTW),  and voice recognition is particularly impressive. You've all seen the Siri commercials that show an immediate response to inquiries, followed by a disclaimer about shortened sequences? That's pretty much the experience I've had with the Nexus 7 searches so far, except no need for the disclaimer. It really does offer most results within a couple of seconds.

 

With that said, it's not the same as Siri, altho it accomplishes the same goals for the most part albeit faster. It's not going to have a back and forth "conversation" (for lack of a better term) with you, instead simply offering results to specific inquiries. If I ask "did the Rays win last night" I'll get a verbal response within literally 2-3 seconds, "No, the Rays lost last night in 10 innings 1 to nothing". (Note I don't have to specify the TampaBay Rays). The voice is very pleasant and natural sounding too, more so than Siri's IMO.  But if I instead ask "what was the score in the last Rays' game" I get a list of web results rather than a voice response, altho the same fast delivery of the results. It's obvious that Google has tuned Jellybean to respond to specifically framed inquiries with verbal feedback, but if not worded in a way that it immediately understands it will give web results instead. Google's voice search isn't going to come back with a question to clarify/confirm your inquiry like Apple's Siri might. There's no AI involved with Google results as far as I know.

 

IMO that's not really a bad thing so far as I'm personally more interested in getting results than having a conversation to get to the same answers, but some people may need the assistance in nailing down what they really wanted to ask.  I usually have a good idea how to frame a search query and seldom ask a rambling question whether by voice or keyboard. The search function in at least Jellybean works great for me, but may not for you if you need that back and forth that Siri can provide. I have noticed that Google's recognition of what I've verbally said is more accurate than in Apple's Siri in the little bit of comparison I've done, tho not dramatically so. 

 

My impression so far: Yes, it's absolutely a "high quality product". Sorry you have had a different experience with your particular unit. Perhaps you expected it to be an iPad in a small form, which it isn't and was never intended to be. Perhaps it's because it was a rushed beta release for the presentation event. Dunno.

 

For what it is and what it does, I feel I'm going to receive much more value than it cost me in dollars. As an aside, Asus recognized that the original white textured back on the give-away Nexus 7 from I/O was prone to scratching or discoloration according to press mentions and have changed it for the consumer devices. As for it being "returned in swarms", I have no idea where you get that news from. I've not seen any articles that make that claim, but fell free to offer a link if true.

 

... and that's pretty much all I'll have to say about it for the most part unless specifically asked. This is the first time I've praised a non-Apple device here, but this 7" tablet deserves it IMO. It's not an iPad, but it's a darn good tablet for those that don't need a large slate or can't justify the $500 price for one. Anandtech agrees, giving it a Bronze Editor's Choice award. Of course Apple's upcoming 7-8 inch iPad may well get the gold. We'll see before long IMO.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review

 

As an Apple enthusiast site it's certainly better to keep the focus on Apple IMO, so my apologies in advance if this post is a distraction. Just wanted to respond to the previous complaint with another side from another owner.


Edited by Gatorguy - 8/6/12 at 7:00am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #88 of 97
I think Steve was "very receptive" to the idea but not a wholesale copypasta of iPad 10" to 7". I imagine Steve would have wanted a unique ecosystem for 7" but didn't want fragmentation so stuck with 10".

Steve was right about Android tablets at 7". They just copied the iPad 10", mangled it with Android for smartphones, and you had a piece-of-crap 7" Android tablet that was neither here nor there.

Also keep in mind, Steve being "very receptive" might have been a "cool story, bro" to Eddy Cue.
Edited by sr2012 - 8/7/12 at 7:07am
post #89 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Some sample resolution densities:
1920x1280 3:2 4" (double iPhone current res) 576.89ppi

1920x1080 16:9 4" (possible new res for iPhone) 550.73ppi (2x:1.6875x increase)
1600x900 16:9 4" (possible new res for iPhone) 458.94ppi (1.67x:1.40625x increase)

1366*768 16:9 4" (possible new res for iPhone) 391.77ppi (1.4229x:1.2x increase)
1280x720 16:9 4" (possible new res for iPhone) 367.15ppi (1.33x:1.125x increase)


1024x768 4:3 7.85" (iPad 1/2 res) 163.06ppi
2048x1536 4:3 7.85" (current New iPad res) 326.11ppi


Since people are bouncing around various resolutions and screen sizes I decided to see what a few possible iPhone and 7.85" iPad resolutions would look like.  The widescreen iPhone options have the math for what the resolution changes would be from the current iPhone 4S.  Since Apple did simple resolution doubling for the iPad to use iPhone apps, they could put a bit of automatic math to stretch iPhone apps for it.  

Yeah I was bored 1smile.gif

Very good math. But I'm concerned about fragmentation if iPhone5 and iPad7" turn out as per the rumours.

Technically of course Apple can on-the-fly resize using just a few .png files per graphic resource ala MBP Retina.

But usability-wise? Curious.
post #90 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I hope my future experience won't be the same. After playing around with a Nexus 7 a few times in the past couple of weeks I picked one up for myself. It certainly feels like a premium tablet so far, and responsiveness has been great. There's been no discernable lag, games like "The Dark Knight Rises" play smoothly without hiccups (huge download BTW),  and voice recognition is particularly impressive. You've all seen the Siri commercials that show an immediate response to inquiries, followed by a disclaimer about shortened sequences? That's pretty much the experience I've had with the Nexus 7 searches so far, except no need for the disclaimer. It really does offer most results within a couple of seconds.

With that said, it's not the same as Siri, altho it accomplishes the same goals for the most part albeit faster. It's not going to have a back and forth "conversation" (for lack of a better term) with you, instead simply offering results to specific inquiries. If I ask "did the Rays win last night" I'll get a verbal response within literally 2-3 seconds, "No, the Rays lost last night in 10 innings 1 to nothing". (Note I don't have to specify the TampaBay Rays). The voice is very pleasant and natural sounding too, more so than Siri's IMO.  But if I instead ask "what was the score in the last Rays' game" I get a list of web results rather than a voice response, altho the same fast delivery of the results. It's obvious that Google has tuned Jellybean to respond to specifically framed inquiries with verbal feedback, but if not worded in a way that it immediately understands it will give web results instead. Google's voice search isn't going to come back with a question to clarify/confirm your inquiry like Apple's Siri might. There's no AI involved with Google results as far as I know.

IMO that's not really a bad thing so far as I'm personally more interested in getting results than having a conversation to get to the same answers, but some people may need the assistance in nailing down what they really wanted to ask.  I usually have a good idea how to frame a search query and seldom ask a rambling question whether by voice or keyboard. The search function in at least Jellybean works great for me, but may not for you if you need that back and forth that Siri can provide. I have noticed that Google's recognition of what I've verbally said is more accurate than in Apple's Siri in the little bit of comparison I've done, tho not dramatically so. 

My impression so far: Yes, it's absolutely a "high quality product". Sorry you have had a different experience with your particular unit. Perhaps you expected it to be an iPad in a small form, which it isn't and was never intended to be. Perhaps it's because it was a rushed beta release for the presentation event. Dunno.

For what it is and what it does, I feel I'm going to receive much more value than it cost me in dollars. As an aside, Asus recognized that the original white textured back on the give-away Nexus 7 from I/O was prone to scratching or discoloration according to press mentions and have changed it for the consumer devices. As for it being "returned in swarms", I have no idea where you get that news from. I've not seen any articles that make that claim, but fell free to offer a link if true.

... and that's pretty much all I'll have to say about it for the most part unless specifically asked. This is the first time I've praised a non-Apple device here, but this 7" tablet deserves it IMO. It's not an iPad, but it's a darn good tablet for those that don't need a large slate or can't justify the $500 price for one. Anandtech agrees, giving it a Bronze Editor's Choice award. Of course Apple's upcoming 7-8 inch iPad may well get the gold. We'll see before long IMO.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review

As an Apple enthusiast site it's certainly better to keep the focus on Apple IMO, so my apologies in advance if this post is a distraction. Just wanted to respond to the previous complaint with another side from another owner.

Go on to XDA, and other numerous android fan sites, quality issues range from, Lifted screens, numerous dead pixels, poor build quality, DOA units, bad speakers, unresponsive touch screens, squeaky panels, slow/lagging units, Subpar Corning glass quality leading to babied devices cracking/scratching glass, pixel lines, silver bezel is pretty much paint, Uneven backlighting, screen flickering, ect the list goes on.

It's been established that the first batch was awful. There's 3 versions, Google I/O release, the google play store release which was Black backed, and another version that has a slightly brown back.

I'm not talking out my ass here, I'll post load of links from android fan forums..It's far from a premium device. It was rushed period. They only had like 3 months to design and pump it out into production.
Edited by Flash_beezy - 8/7/12 at 10:50am
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #91 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post


Go on to XDA, and other numerous android fan sites, quality issues range from, Lifted screens, numerous dead pixels, poor build quality, DOA units, bad speakers, unresponsive touch screens, squeaky panels, slow/lagging units, Subpar Corning glass quality leading to babied devices cracking/scratching glass, pixel lines, silver bezel is pretty much paint, Uneven backlighting, screen flickering, ect the list goes on.
It's been established that the first batch was awful. There's 3 versions, Google I/O release, the google play store release which was Black backed, and another version that has a slightly brown back.
I'm not talking out my ass here, I'll post load of links from android fan forums..It's far from a premium device. It was rushed period. They only had like 3 months to design and pump it out into production.

Please do list some citations for the Nexus 7 being "returned in swarms". What I've seen doesn't reported is not much different from new iPad or MacBook releases. Are those being "returned in swarms too" if I read about a couple dozen users with the same reported issue?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #92 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I hope my future experience won't be the same. After playing around with a Nexus 7 a few times in the past couple of weeks I picked one up for myself. It certainly feels like a premium tablet so far, and responsiveness has been great. There's been no discernable lag, games like "The Dark Knight Rises" play smoothly without hiccups (huge download BTW),  and voice recognition is particularly impressive. You've all seen the Siri commercials that show an immediate response to inquiries, followed by a disclaimer about shortened sequences? That's pretty much the experience I've had with the Nexus 7 searches so far, except no need for the disclaimer. It really does offer most results within a couple of seconds.

 

With that said, it's not the same as Siri, altho it accomplishes the same goals for the most part albeit faster. It's not going to have a back and forth "conversation" (for lack of a better term) with you, instead simply offering results to specific inquiries. If I ask "did the Rays win last night" I'll get a verbal response within literally 2-3 seconds, "No, the Rays lost last night in 10 innings 1 to nothing". (Note I don't have to specify the TampaBay Rays). The voice is very pleasant and natural sounding too, more so than Siri's IMO.  But if I instead ask "what was the score in the last Rays' game" I get a list of web results rather than a voice response, altho the same fast delivery of the results. It's obvious that Google has tuned Jellybean to respond to specifically framed inquiries with verbal feedback, but if not worded in a way that it immediately understands it will give web results instead. Google's voice search isn't going to come back with a question to clarify/confirm your inquiry like Apple's Siri might. There's no AI involved with Google results as far as I know.

 

IMO that's not really a bad thing so far as I'm personally more interested in getting results than having a conversation to get to the same answers, but some people may need the assistance in nailing down what they really wanted to ask.  I usually have a good idea how to frame a search query and seldom ask a rambling question whether by voice or keyboard. The search function in at least Jellybean works great for me, but may not for you if you need that back and forth that Siri can provide. I have noticed that Google's recognition of what I've verbally said is more accurate than in Apple's Siri in the little bit of comparison I've done, tho not dramatically so. 

 

My impression so far: Yes, it's absolutely a "high quality product". Sorry you have had a different experience with your particular unit. Perhaps you expected it to be an iPad in a small form, which it isn't and was never intended to be. Perhaps it's because it was a rushed beta release for the presentation event. Dunno.

 

For what it is and what it does, I feel I'm going to receive much more value than it cost me in dollars. As an aside, Asus recognized that the original white textured back on the give-away Nexus 7 from I/O was prone to scratching or discoloration according to press mentions and have changed it for the consumer devices. As for it being "returned in swarms", I have no idea where you get that news from. I've not seen any articles that make that claim, but fell free to offer a link if true.

 

... and that's pretty much all I'll have to say about it for the most part unless specifically asked. This is the first time I've praised a non-Apple device here, but this 7" tablet deserves it IMO. It's not an iPad, but it's a darn good tablet for those that don't need a large slate or can't justify the $500 price for one. Anandtech agrees, giving it a Bronze Editor's Choice award. Of course Apple's upcoming 7-8 inch iPad may well get the gold. We'll see before long IMO.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review

 

As an Apple enthusiast site it's certainly better to keep the focus on Apple IMO, so my apologies in advance if this post is a distraction. Just wanted to respond to the previous complaint with another side from another owner.

LOL awesome job, advertise the hell out of that before the new apple product comes out, and makes the nexus an obsolete POS. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
post #93 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

LOL awesome job, advertise the hell out of that before the new apple product comes out, and makes the nexus an obsolete POS. 

You don't have a lot of constructive comments to add today do you?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #94 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You don't have a lot of constructive comments to add today do you?

Just pointing out the obvious guy. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
post #95 of 97
Why does it have to be a news report to be a issue?

Google is your friend, if you actually look you'll see that it's quite a problem.

I'm not making this up. Do I really new to show you links from countless fan sites about QC issues? It's not a isolated issue. Don't be lazy.

Search around...they are infact being returned/exchanged in big numbers...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1675
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #96 of 97

93 pages of iPad wi-fi comments/complaints doesn't mean it's being returned in huge numbers does it, or that there's a serious QC problem? Add another 87 pages of iPad overheating discussion. Would you now call that proof of quality problems? Add another 46 pages of comments on screen discoloration. Is that proof Apple's latest iPad has QC problems? Of course not.

 

Every new product release has some initial issues. If they're still there 60 days in, then there may really be a problem IMHO. Initial complaints from a relative handful of buyers is to be expected and not a sign of massive returns or widespread quality problems as far as I'm concerned. Might there be a QC problem with the Nexus 7? Certainly can't be completely discounted but certainly not proved by your link. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3812929?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3810951?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3810949?start=0&tstart=0

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #97 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I told you guys what Steve poo-poos in public he works on in secret.

 

Unless it's this.  We're told Jobs was on top of several years' worth of new products, at least in general, yet the small iPad is still just something he's essentially upgraded to "not 100% against".

 

At some point, it stops being Jobs' company.  I think we're close.  Nothing inherently wrong with that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show