or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report' - Page 4

post #121 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWS View Post

I hope Apple wins this case and then pulls away from samsung 100%. There are many other suppliers out there.
Also, I'm replacing my 55inch led Samsung with a Apple tv if and when they come out.

Good decision. I'm going to get an LG TV. :)

post #122 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I was just trying to be kind. When you think about it, these individuals are incredibly sad. The thing about mental illness is everyone else but the person seem to be aware of the problem, and the person is incapable of any self control to do otherwise.

That's one of the saddest things about NPD - it's extremely difficult to treat. Since people with NPD think they're perfect, it's difficult to get them to recognize a need for a change in themselves which would cause them to seek (or participate in) treatment.

Other mental illnesses are different. A person with OCD, for example, may observe themselves and others around them and see that their behavior is excessive. But with NPD, any observed differences are signs of the individual's superiority and everyone else is deficient in some way.

I'm trying very hard to avoid the term 'NPD sufferer' or 'NPD victim' - because it's the people around them who are the victims.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #123 of 390

Every once in awhile I'm presented with an exercise in self-control, resisting the obvious.....

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #124 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


There is really only one thing worse than slavish copyists. Their slavish enablers.
There's a bunch of them here -- everyone knows who they are -- and they're incorrigibly relentless. Don't even bother responding.

 

They are relentless because a large number of them are paid astroturfers. Then there is tekstud, back now as JerrySwitched26.

post #125 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As ALL companies likely 'size up' their wares against the competition, and then seek to improve upon said competition's efforts.
Apple has made a complete industry out of doing exactly this... Inventing Nothing but Improving Upon What Others Already Created.

 

By Samsung's logic, using 2001 A Space Odyssey as a example, Gene Rodenberry should sue the entire cell phone industry for stealing his flip phone (communicator) design.

 

All inventions essentially improve on what other have built in one way or another. The key is taking those ideas and making them into something worthwhile.

 

The MP3 player, smartphone and tablet industries were niche segments for geeks and business (BB only) before Apple made them not suck for the rest of us.

post #126 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

 

It's pretty obvious that Apple is a luxury brand. The markups that Apple charge are even higher than some global luxury brands. I'm sure Merc, Bimmer, LVMH Moet Hennessy, and Italian fashion houses envy Apple's markups and can only dream of ever having a half trillion dollar market cap. :D

 

Really? Then why can't anyone seem to beat Apple on price with the iPad or Ultrabooks?

 

Apple has become so efficient a good chunk of those margins come simply from running a better supply chain.

post #127 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

It's pretty obvious that Apple is a luxury brand. The markups that Apple charge are even higher than some global luxury brands. I'm sure Merc, Bimmer, LVMH Moet Hennessy, and Italian fashion houses envy Apple's markups and can only dream of ever having a half trillion dollar market cap. 1biggrin.gif

Luxury brand? Strange definition:

- MacBook Air set the price point for its segment. Even today, the only way anyone has managed to beat the price is by significantly cutting features.

- iPhone - priced right in line with other premium phones

- MacPro - generally lower than competitive Xeon systems of similar quality, particularly when you look at the dual CPU version

- iMac - you still can't find a comparable 27" AIO for less

- iPad - other 10" tablets are around the same price

Apple's profits and success are not coming from a significant premium in pricing as they did in the past. Today, their prices are pretty much in line with the market while their margins are from volume, design efficiency, and an unmatched supply chain.

You're confusing 'popular' and 'profitable' with 'luxury brand'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #128 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They are relentless because a large number of them are paid astroturfers. Then there is tekstud, back now as JerrySwitched26.

It would seem that he has worked on his grammar and punctuation during his exile! His English has improved a bit.
post #129 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

 

Really? Then why can't anyone seem to beat Apple on price with the iPad or Ultrabooks?

 

Apple has become so efficient a good chunk of those margins come simply from running a better supply chain.

 

Good point. I must say it's hard for me to give you a complete answer since Apple does not divulge its trade secrets or any details about its contracts with suppliers.

post #130 of 390
The point is - I think - that a design style cannot be copyright protected or patented.
Look at the car industry, the flattened wheel arches are used by almost every car manufacturer I know of, but some manufacturer had it implemented first.
If you have a nice design idea, you can implement it first, but you can count on it that it will be 'copied' because it's successful.
The copy in this case isn't literal, and thats what counts.
If you 'copy' a book and use exactly the same storyline, but write every word yourself, it isn't protected by copyright.
A design style cannot be patented because it isn't a solution to a problem, it isn't a method of doing things.
If Apple tries to protect its design style, and it looks like it when I read about this court case, Apple will lose.

J.
post #131 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Luxury brand? Strange definition:
- MacBook Air set the price point for its segment. Even today, the only way anyone has managed to beat the price is by significantly cutting features.
- iPhone - priced right in line with other premium phones
- MacPro - generally lower than competitive Xeon systems of similar quality, particularly when you look at the dual CPU version
- iMac - you still can't find a comparable 27" AIO for less
- iPad - other 10" tablets are around the same price
Apple's profits and success are not coming from a significant premium in pricing as they did in the past. Today, their prices are pretty much in line with the market while their margins are from volume, design efficiency, and an unmatched supply chain.
You're confusing 'popular' and 'profitable' with 'luxury brand'.

Here's what studentx said, "Apple has become so efficient a good chunk of those margins come simply from running a better supply chain."

 

I don't want to misconstrue what studentx pointed out but extrapolating from his point, I'd say that Apple's enormous purchasing power and superior supply chain allow the company to maintain luxury-level markups.

 

I believe that Apple is a luxury brand because they sell a premium product that commands markups that are higher than those of some top luxury auto brands and fashion brands. We can agree to disagree on this point, can't we? It's a subjective POV.

post #132 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"You can't patent a box with four wheels,

Actually at one point you could, and they likely did. But patents naturally die after 20 years or so and the automobile is 100 years old. Once a patent has naturally expired you can't get another patent on the exact same thing, thus why they are getting patents on the 'little things' these days.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #133 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Here's what studentx said, "Apple has become so efficient a good chunk of those margins come simply from running a better supply chain."

 

I don't want to misconstrue what studentx pointed out but extrapolating from his point, I'd say that Apple's enormous purchasing power and superior supply chain allow the company to maintain luxury-level markups.

 

I believe that Apple is a luxury brand because they sell a premium product that commands markups that are higher than those of some top luxury auto brands and fashion brands. We can agree to disagree on this point, can't we? It's a subjective POV.

 Err, coming from the Asia-Pacific, I think it is getting harder to maintain their 'premium' margins now in 2012 than in 2009 when 3GS first officially imported. Used markets and grey importers exploded and just outcompeted carriers here. By now carriers have to eat up differences themselves and give us discounts, 0% interest payments for 10 months, three years warranty, free data and call for the first six months and so on.

 

Mercedes get its head handed to them by grey marketers using the very same playbook. Half of Mercedes sold from Beijing to Jarkatar are now grey imported and dealers just admit defeat, offering to service them as well if you buy their packages. 

 

Von Dutch had to left and Giorgio Armani was killed too, only Exchange remains. Apple may not remain an exception for long; it will be forced to lower the price and bring iPhone line to cheaper brackets eventually. The iPhone is indeed very popular, but with low-hanging customers all snapped up, oversupply of handsets and cut-throat competitions between carriers themselves and grey importers, price wars and cheapening of the 'premium' image is all but inevitable now.

post #134 of 390

When Chinese car companies copy European cars and stick their logo in it, everyone in the West cries CopyCat.

When Samsung copy Apple and stick its logo in it, everyone in the West who despise/cannot afford Apple´s products cries NO Copycat.

post #135 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

The point is - I think - that a design style cannot be copyright protected or patented.
Look at the car industry, the flattened wheel arches are used by almost every car manufacturer I know of, but some manufacturer had it implemented first.
If you have a nice design idea, you can implement it first, but you can count on it that it will be 'copied' because it's successful.
The copy in this case isn't literal, and thats what counts.
If you 'copy' a book and use exactly the same storyline, but write every word yourself, it isn't protected by copyright.
A design style cannot be patented because it isn't a solution to a problem, it isn't a method of doing things.
If Apple tries to protect its design style, and it looks like it when I read about this court case, Apple will lose.
J.

 

Your argument has a flaw. A design IS a method of doing something and that design can be patented. In the United States, a design patent is a patent granted on the ornamental design of a functional item. If your argument held any weight, US law wouldn't allow for design patents in the first place. Go ahead and tell any engineer or architect that a design isn't a solution to a problem. They will laugh in your face. The chair you sit on, the building you're within, the computer you use, the table it's resting on, all were designed to solve a specific problem. You could've argued about the US patent system in general, but you didn't.

 

I'm not going to take sides on this case as I don't have all the facts presented, but it's obvious Apple believes Samsung created their own phone(s) in violation of a design patent Apple holds for the iPhone. Samsung believes otherwise. That's the whole point of this jury trial: to determine who's opinion is legally correct in this argument.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Here's what studentx said, "Apple has become so efficient a good chunk of those margins come simply from running a better supply chain."

 

I don't want to misconstrue what studentx pointed out but extrapolating from his point, I'd say that Apple's enormous purchasing power and superior supply chain allow the company to maintain luxury-level markups.

 

I believe that Apple is a luxury brand because they sell a premium product that commands markups that are higher than those of some top luxury auto brands and fashion brands. We can agree to disagree on this point, can't we? It's a subjective POV.

 

What is a luxury brand? It's all in perception really as there is no clear definition. Is Apple perceived as such? I believe so. But the real question to ask: Is being a perceived luxury brand a good reason to dislike Apple? Again, in my opinion, I don't believe so.

 

And disliking Apple because they don't give the same discount to students as they did in the past, that made me laugh. Disneyland had a free-on-your-birthday pomotion a few years back. Should I dislike the company because they don't offer that discount anymore? It was serving the same purpose as Apple's student discount, getting people into their ecosystem that might not have joined otherwise. Disneyland is another polarizing brand, but to dislike it just because they don't offer a discount anymore smells of false entitlement.

 

So the original poster's reasons for disliking Apple as presented to us so far are not based in logical reasoning. Perhaps there's a personal emotional reason, but then it would be more difficult for him to sway others to his point of view with that type of reason.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #136 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They are relentless because a large number of them are paid astroturfers. Then there is tekstud, back now as JerrySwitched26.

It would seem that he has worked on his grammar and punctuation during his exile! His English has improved a bit.

He's pretty obviously ConradJoe and ZZZ - not sure about the tekstud connection.
post #137 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

So what is Samsung to do? 
1. Don't use the bounce. OK.
2. Don't use the double tap. OK
3. Don't use a horizontal swipe to unlock. OK.
I think all of those things could be easily licensed easily enough.

Not easily at all. All of those are nonSEP items so legally Apple can't be forced to license them. And as those patents are part of what makes he iPhone experience unique, Apple isn't likely to say yes.

On the flip, Samsung has to allow any and everyone access to the SEP items. And further the fees must meet FRAND rules. Which Apple believes they didn't. The only way Apple can force Samsung to tell what everyone else is paying is to through the courts. Which is why 'violating' such patents and forcing a suit is a trick used by all companies

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #138 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

The point is - I think - that a design style cannot be copyright protected or patented.

Look at the car industry, the flattened wheel arches are used by almost every car manufacturer I know of, but some manufacturer had it implemented first.

If you have a nice design idea, you can implement it first, but you can count on it that it will be 'copied' because it's successful.

The copy in this case isn't literal, and thats what counts.

If you 'copy' a book and use exactly the same storyline, but write every word yourself, it isn't protected by copyright.

A design style cannot be patented because it isn't a solution to a problem, it isn't a method of doing things.

If Apple tries to protect its design style, and it looks like it when I read about this court case, Apple will lose.

J.

Your argument has a flaw. A design IS a method of doing something and that design can be patented. In the United States, a design patent is a patent granted on the ornamental design of a functional item. If your argument held any weight, US law wouldn't allow for design patents in the first place. Go ahead and tell any engineer or architect that a design isn't a solution to a problem. They will laugh in your face. The chair you sit on, the building you're within, the computer you use, the table it's resting on, all were designed to solve a specific problem. You could've argued about the US patent system in general, but you didn't.

I'm not going to take sides on this case as I don't have all the facts presented, but it's obvious Apple believes Samsung created their own phone(s) in violation of a design patent Apple holds for the iPhone. Samsung believes otherwise. That's the whole point of this jury trial: to determine who's opinion is legally correct in this argument.

Probably a silly question, but are there any clear guidelines other than precedent for what can and cannot be prior art for a design patent? One obvious example - if something looks similar but, either in reality or fiction, has a different functionality, is that still potentially prior art?
post #139 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

 

Science doesn't have a name for it, but pop culture certainly does:  the Fanboi.  Some people get a big kick out of poking them with sticks.  The responses, including cognitive dissonance, howling and hysteria are amusing to those people.

 

 

To bother to register in a site like that makes you WHAT?

- - A Doctor ?

 

I wrote about phony IT technicians who receive commissions in order to sell certain machines on this site, and was warned of possible BAN, now people insult me Because i like the way Apple do biz and that is OK.

post #140 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

 [deleting racist comment]

 

Using racial superiority to attack someone asking an honest question is low brow, sir.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #141 of 390
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post
Science doesn't have a name for it, but pop culture certainly does:  the Fanboi.

 

He's talking about you and your ilk, Zazzles. Not Apple fans.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #142 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They are relentless because a large number of them are paid astroturfers. Then there is tekstud, back now as JerrySwitched26.

not for nothing but if we were paid astroturfers what use would we have in the Fox News of Apple forums?

We'd be on general tech sites en masse.

Then again you've never been one to require evidence before believing something.

You and your ilk just love to dismiss whole arguments that do not align with yours by labeling people as part of an easily dismissable group.

Go on tell me how Google sells my data.
post #143 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


Probably a silly question, but are there any clear guidelines other than precedent for what can and cannot be prior art for a design patent? One obvious example - if something looks similar but, either in reality or fiction, has a different functionality, is that still potentially prior art?

 

Excluding precedent, the US patent office determines those guidelines using their own interpretation of US law to grant or deny patents. So there is precedent and there is interpretation of the law (a fancy phrase for an opinion). And if someone doesn't like the patent office's or the patent holder's "opinion", it can be submitted to a court of law for a "second opinion" using precedent as well.

 

If something looks similar but, either in reality or fiction, has a different functionality, it is not prior art. This is a rough example, but look at Apple Computer vs Apple Corps. Apple Computer was allowed to use "Apple" as logo and trademark even though Apple Records was using "Apple" prior. This is because the two companies have different functionality and couldn't be easily misconstrued as one being related to the other. This wasn't exactly a design patent issue but it is in the same spirit.

 

Another example, Star Trek TNG featured PADDs throughout their show, now Apple has the iPad on the market. The creators of Star Trek, if they even have the design patent, could sue Apple for a design patent violation, but seeing as how different the two devices are in functionality, marketing, and availability, in all likelihood the case would end in Apple's favor.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #144 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They are relentless because a large number of them are paid astroturfers. Then there is tekstud, back now as JerrySwitched26.

not for nothing but if we were paid astroturfers what use would we have in the Fox News of Apple forums?

We'd be on general tech sites en masse.

Then again you've never been one to require evidence before believing something.

You and your ilk just love to dismiss whole arguments that do not align with yours by labeling people as part of an easily dismissable group.

Go on tell me how Google sells my data.

I also doubt they are paid for posting here, but why did you assume that you are in that supposed category?
post #145 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Probably a silly question, but are there any clear guidelines other than precedent for what can and cannot be prior art for a design patent? One obvious example - if something looks similar but, either in reality or fiction, has a different functionality, is that still potentially prior art?

Excluding precedent, the US patent office determines those guidelines using their own interpretation of US law to grant or deny patents. So there is precedent and there is interpretation of the law (a fancy phrase for an opinion). And if someone doesn't like the patent office's or the patent holder's "opinion", it can be submitted to a court of law for a "second opinion" using precedent as well.

If something looks similar but, either in reality or fiction, has a different functionality, it is not prior art. This is a rough example, but look at Apple Computer vs Apple Corps. Apple Computer was allowed to use "Apple" as logo and trademark even though Apple Records was using "Apple" prior. This is because the two companies have different functionality and couldn't be easily misconstrued as one being related to the other. This wasn't exactly a design patent issue but it is in the same spirit.

Another example, Star Trek TNG featured PADDs throughout their show, now Apple has the iPad on the market. The creators of Star Trek, if they even have the design patent, could sue Apple for a design patent violation, but seeing as how different the two devices are in functionality, marketing, and availability, in all likelihood the case would end in Apple's favor.

OK thanks - so it focusses on external design, but probably requires the prior device to be functionally similar, even though it may just be a fictional item. Interesting distinction, if somewhat contrived. It would rule out the Samsung digital picture frame argument though.
post #146 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

 

Using racial superiority to attack someone asking an honest question is low brow, sir.

Perhaps, but what I've read on AI board since 2010 are nearly mirrored of how things went on during Anti-Japanese campaign in 80's, the closer one will be the Anti-Bush fever during his second term. Switching Samsung and Microsoft with Republicans and Bush, and posts are identical to what I read on MoveOn.org and Detroit Unions pamplets kept in libraries when I wrote by degree's proposal.

 

The bile, the mood, the tone, the toxic, the emotion, they were all there then and they are here today. Alomst word by word sometimes.

 

I mentiond 80's Anti-Japanese syndrome because many posters here mentioned themselves they were there, active, during the early years of Apple. That makes it plausible many were there, and might even joined, the anti-Japanese movements of that time and still carried the grudges from the campuses to this day. They fought the Japs 40 years ago and lost. Now they looked at Koreans and told themselves' No, no, no! No again!' MoveOn.Org was, in that tiem, the outlet to express the sense of vulnerability, powerlessness and frustration of why everything they believed to be right and just, drilled into them from their university days, are on the losing side and nothing they campaigned, partitioned doesn't seem to change anything.

 

The same fear and frustations manifested itself again and again; first in Japanese cars killing American jobs, second Republicans taking their sense of power, third Samsung seems to be winning against American champion, Apple.

 

You know, maybe I'm not very good at explaining all this and perhaps most of you graduated with Science degree, so you won't have background knowledge of what I am saying either.

 

Does anyone here got something from Arts field, or better yet, graduated or done some papers on Social Science or Anthropology? Could you take a look at Apple vs. Samsung fans war and give us a description of what is going on here?

post #147 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

He's pretty obviously ConradJoe and ZZZ - not sure about the tekstud connection.

And don't forget Newtron.
post #148 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

 

Wait.  Did you really just compare this website and its posters to "a white supremacy website" and to a "Godhatesfags" website?

 

Let me assure you, the posters on sites such as those are not nearly as irrational and nasty as the posters here.

 

I can't decide if your sensationalism, intended to be funny, was too early or too late. :-P

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #149 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

not for nothing but if we were paid astroturfers what use would we have in the Fox News of Apple forums?
We'd be on general tech sites en masse.
I guess because you kind of liked the idea that Jesus ate with the sinners, and that's maybe how you like to think of yourself.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #150 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Here's what studentx said, "Apple has become so efficient a good chunk of those margins come simply from running a better supply chain."

I don't want to misconstrue what studentx pointed out but extrapolating from his point, I'd say that Apple's enormous purchasing power and superior supply chain allow the company to maintain luxury-level markups.

I believe that Apple is a luxury brand because they sell a premium product that commands markups that are higher than those of some top luxury auto brands and fashion brands. We can agree to disagree on this point, can't we? It's a subjective POV.

You stated: "It's pretty obvious that Apple is a luxury brand."

That is silly. A luxury brand is defined by its price, not its margins.

Lamborghini cars are clearly luxuries - even if their margin is low (due to the high cost of making cars one at a time). It's not impossible that Hyundai would have a higher margin than Lamborghini. Does that make Hyundai a luxury brand while Lamborghini is not?

A luxury brand is a product that is expensive compared to the competition and one which only the elite can own. Apple products today don't fit either definition. Several Apple products (iPhone, iPad, iPod) are clearly mainstream with mid to high double digit market shares. And, as shown above, most Apple products are very competitive on price.

If you have a mainstream product which is priced the same as the competition and has a 20-50% market share (depending on how you define the market) and you suddenly find a way to cut the manufacturing cost by 50%, it doesn't suddenly become a luxury brand simply because your costs have dropped.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #151 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He's talking about you and your ilk, Zazzles. Not Apple fans.


Duh.

Oh dear. There goes another iteration. There should be a prize for who first spots the next one.
post #152 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I also doubt they are paid for posting here, but why did you assume that you are in that supposed category?

I've been accused before.
post #153 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Oh dear. There goes another iteration. There should be a prize for who first spots the next one.

Ok, game on, but you have to disqualify Tallest Skil, because he has access to the iP addresses. Maybe he will referee.
post #154 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Oh dear. There goes another iteration. There should be a prize for who first spots the next one.

Ok, game on, but you have to disqualify Tallest Skil, because he has access to the iP addresses. Maybe he will referee.

TS is a gentleman - he wouldn't cheat. But yes - he should referee.
Edited by muppetry - 8/4/12 at 9:27am
post #155 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

TS is a gentleman - he wouldn't cheat. But yes - he should referee.

The misplaced bold made it look like I was implying subterfuge on his part. See edited version above. I know he would be the paragon of judiciousness.
post #156 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


I think you can leave the ecosystem easily. Can't you just burn your music to CD and then re-import to your device of choice.

Yes, but that degrades the quality of the music and due to the manner in which iTunes handles song data I would have a LOT of work ahead of me. 

 

Also, Apple makes it so damned hard to leave by only giving the option burning to a physical CD as opposed to burning virtual CDs (can be done with 3rd party programs). Imagine having to burn a 700MB rewriteable CD  20 - 40 times. Zoinks!

post #157 of 390

Absolutely I'll referee! I'm the one that found his last three iterations, anyway. lol.gif

 

Have at it. This should be fun.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #158 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Perhaps, but what I've read on AI board since 2010 are nearly mirrored of how things went on during Anti-Japanese campaign in 80's, the closer one will be the Anti-Bush fever during his second term. Switching Samsung and Microsoft with Republicans and Bush, and posts are identical to what I read on MoveOn.org and Detroit Unions pamplets kept in libraries when I wrote by degree's proposal.

 

The bile, the mood, the tone, the toxic, the emotion, they were all there then and they are here today. Alomst word by word sometimes.

 

I mentiond 80's Anti-Japanese syndrome because many posters here mentioned themselves they were there, active, during the early years of Apple. That makes it plausible many were there, and might even joined, the anti-Japanese movements of that time and still carried the grudges from the campuses to this day. They fought the Japs 40 years ago and lost. Now they looked at Koreans and told themselves' No, no, no! No again!' MoveOn.Org was, in that tiem, the outlet to express the sense of vulnerability, powerlessness and frustration of why everything they believed to be right and just, drilled into them from their university days, are on the losing side and nothing they campaigned, partitioned doesn't seem to change anything.

 

The same fear and frustations manifested itself again and again; first in Japanese cars killing American jobs, second Republicans taking their sense of power, third Samsung seems to be winning against American champion, Apple.

 

You know, maybe I'm not very good at explaining all this and perhaps most of you graduated with Science degree, so you won't have background knowledge of what I am saying either.

 

Does anyone here got something from Arts field, or better yet, graduated or done some papers on Social Science or Anthropology? Could you take a look at Apple vs. Samsung fans war and give us a description of what is going on here?

 

MoveOn.org was established in the late 90's, well after the 1980's, with an intention of defending a sitting Democratic US President. They are largely just against Republicans, and I don't believe they have any involvement outside of the US political system. Perhaps you're thinking of a different organization?

 

Unfortunately, I'm too young to recall anything personally about an anti-Japanese or anti-Asian movement in the 1980's and I haven't researched the subject at all to know of its veracity.

 

I do know there are small subcultures of xenophobia, isolationism, racism in the US directed at many ethnic groups, however I don't believe this website or the posters on its forum harbor ill will to the Asian people or Asian companies at large. You do have to concede that Americans will naturally champion an American company over a company of international origin, just as Koreans, Chinese, or Japanese peoples would champion companies of their national origin over companies of other nations.

 

All we have here is a debate with spirited opinions on what is or isn't legal according to US law in this particular case. If you frequented a pro-Google/Android website, you'd see the same debate most likely in reverse, with Apple, the American company, being trashed and bashed mostly by Americans themselves. If you went to a slightly more neutral website, such as Engadget (neutrality being relative), you'd see spirited opinions on both sides of the debate probably in equal proportion.

 

Does this mean Google/Android supporters are anti-American because they'd love to see Apple fail? No. The same applies here. Just because some posters here would love to see Samsung fail, at least in this US trial, that definitely doesn't mean they are anti-Korean.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #159 of 390

OK, so I am not looking at the bunch of pass-it men wallowing at 'what could have been' on this board, right? Some of them here certainly cannot move on, still holding the grudge on Micrsoft for bringing Apple to near bankrupcy, and still retell stories like it happened yesterday...

 

I looked at some of them and cannot be helped to notice the similar feeling I saw from the past.

post #160 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

OK, so I am not looking at the bunch of pass-it men wallowing at 'what could have been' on this board, right?

Could you translate that into English?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'