or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'

Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report' - Page 3

post #81 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Just because I happen to own dozens upon dozens of Apple products doesn't mean that they do no wrong.... It's a Tech Company, Not A Cult.

Cult? The only people who use that term use it in the pejorative.

No, you don't hate Apple as much as you don't like people who love Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #82 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What DeHarder was describing is called "incremental design." It's quite common. Before Apple entered the phone and tablet markets incremental design was de rigueur. Remember the phones before the iPhone where trying to surf the internet was a total joke? Remember how almost impossible it was to download an optional app? Incremental design really never rethinks anything. 

Innovative design, which is how Apple designs, comes at the problem differently and starts afresh. No keyboard?? Such an idea made the CEOs of MS and RIM laugh... they couldn't imagine such a thing. 

Great advances don't come about incrementally. As Einstein said, "You cannot solve a problem with the same mentality that created it." I would add, you cannot even see a problem with the old mentality that created it.

Now if we can just get an expert to testify to this on the witness stand, GAME OVER SAMSUNG.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #83 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Really? You're claiming that's Apple central argument is to disallow anyone else from using a rectangle with a rounded corner?
If you are so sure of that then show me where Apple's lawyers have argued such a thing and that Samsung's lawyers have pointed out that rectangles and rounded corners have existed since before Thales of Miletus.

I tried to disguise myself as an Apple fanboy but my feeble attempts have backfired.

post #84 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why the **** are you here if you don't think Apple as a company deserves a shred of credit and don't like any of their products? I'm serious. Why? Why waste your time on an Apple fan site?

I wonder if he's using a WebKit based browser to post this trash?

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #85 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

I tried to disguise myself as an Apple fanboy but my feeble attempts have backfired.

Blocked.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #86 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cult? The only people who use that term use it in the pejorative.

No, you don't hate Apple as much as you don't like people who love Apple.

Oh Really... You. Fail. Yet. Again.

Anyway... The sooner all of this nonsensical litigation ends - The better for the entire industry.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #87 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Really? I guess it is safe to say that it is common knowledge then, that Apple stole RIM's BBM, Google's Notification Center and a whole host of Android design features like ota os updates, split keyboard, and now we see Apple attempting to copy Google maps/earth.
Funny, but it's probably safe to say, you don't think any of that is 'stealing' by Apple though, right?

Is that the same Google Maps, Google used in Android to help to destroy Nokia, who were unable to monetize their investment in Navteq?

Apple used a similar notification centre as that found in the Newton, waaa-aaay back in the early nineties.

Anyway isn't Android as open as something like WebKit, which according to your twisted logic Google "stole" off Apple.

post #88 of 390
Quote:

...and it appears that Apple had been 'inspired' by Samsung designs long before the iPhone ever existed:

In 2005 Samsung had just released the SGH-E910 "fashion phone" with a similar arrangement, and iPod head Tony Fadell sent an Engadget blog post about the phone to Jobs and other Apple execs. "Weird way to hold the cellphone," said Fadell, but using the round center control pad "seems comfortable." Upon seeing the design, Jobs was typically direct. "This may be our answer — we could put the number pad around our click wheel," he wrote to Jony Ive and Apple designer Bas Ording. "Of course we should orient it like a watch, with 3, 6, 9, and * in the pure horizontal and vertical positions, just like any clock." 

*The Verge

You're joking right?  LOL That was hilarious!  Show another example. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #89 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Reasonable question. The tax thing for one. Other US companies do this and I don't like them either. My dislike is very much centered on Apple building itself up on the backs of other, in this case students, and then forgetting about them. Case in point. When the iPod came out Apple was giving discounts to students who purchased them. Apple also gave discounts to students who bought computers. As the iPod became more ubiquitous Apple stopped giving students a discount. Apple has also continued to reduce the discount that students receive when buying a computer. Finally, Apple used to give a free iPod to students who bought a new system for the fall. First they reduced the value of the credit to a new iPod and now have switched over to giving $100 credit on iTunes.

I am sure some folks will claim students are lucky to get anything at all (true) and that the students who bring this up (of which I am one - returning student) are self-centered/self-important/self-entitled. Those statements might hold water if Apple had never given better discounts to students in the past. But as Apple's profits and market share have risen, they have reduced what the students who supported them receive. 

Also, I have been using Apple computers since my first Apple IIc, and I have never gotten over how Apple overprices their systems. Yes, they last and yes they are easy to use, but the elitest attitude of Apple and Jobs always rubbed me the wrong way. 

Why do I keep buying Apple products? Because, up to now, they have been the best choice for use on a day to day basis. But, I am really starting to reconsider whether that is true or not anymore, especially considering the direction that OSX seems to be heading. As it stands, we are going to be stuck with Snow Leopard until our Mac Mini dies. :(

According to Samsung, only 1% of iPhone/iPad purchases are due to the design...

...so much for "eliteness".

As far as your Mac Mini goes, Samsung and Google have combined to provide a nice replacement so you can send your money to South Korea:-

post #90 of 390
Quote:

Yeah... Looks like you were being just as 'trollishly idiotic' there as you are here. Go Figure.

Are you having a little trouble finding those positive posts of yours?

When can we expect them?
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #91 of 390
Quote:

Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because their smartphones were so much more advanced? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because it didn't have a physical keyboard? For some reason all those lame arguments have fallen away and in their place have sprung remarks about how it was obvious and the only option moving forward.

It was "stylus" for the Asian markets, you know to write asian characters.

post #92 of 390

I find this case very interesting and look forward to the outcome, whatever it may be. However, that's not why I'm posting.

Quote:

As ALL companies likely 'size up' their wares against the competition, and then seek to improve upon said competition's efforts.
Apple has made a complete industry out of doing exactly this... Inventing Nothing but Improving Upon What Others Already Created.

Why don't you just take this argument to its logical conclusion? No one invents anything because, in fact, natural elements make up all products any one entity produces and those entities didn't 'invent' the elements, did they? No, like so many other entities before it, Apple took separate elements that were previously available and combined them into an unique and new combination, inventing a new product. Was it the first touchscreen mobile phone? No. Was it the first mobile device with full internet browsing capabilities? No. Was it the first candy bar mobile phone? No. Was it the first mobile phone with music and video player functionality? No.

But it was the first mobile phone with all those features and more, and whose features were inarguably very accessible and easy to use. You can't point to another mobile phone that came before the iPhone that had all those capabilities in one product that was so user friendly. So Apple did invent something.

Quote:

Just because I happen to own dozens upon dozens of Apple products doesn't mean that they do no wrong.... It's a Tech Company, Not A Cult.

If there is one person that can be documented as being on more sides of an issue than you, it's Mitt Romney (whatever you think about the man, it's true). And that's a close call.

Quote:

Not True... and just because you appear to be highly 'selective' as to which posts you deem Apple-worthy is of no concern to me.
I support Apple, as well as any other company I choose, by buying/using their products... because that's all that really matters ;-)

It's self-evident you post comments to be attention grabbing, not to add to the conversation... or maybe you just have poor communication skills at trying to get the logical message in your head across. You seem intelligent so it can't be the latter. So you're an attention whore. That's ok. I understand there are personality types that thrive on it. It's when you deny it by arguing that you are adding anything reasonable to the conversation, that's when people get upset at you. And you seem to like when people get upset with you as well.

Quote:

Minding My Own Business... Something you appear to be woefully incapable of doing.

Your comments, by their own evidence, scream attention whore and then you tell someone to mind their own business, as if you didn't want them to respond to your comment? Oh, that's rich. Apparently you've never tasted your own medicine.

If I was of African descent, I wouldn't go to a white supremacy website and post comments against that subculture unless I truly wanted to get nasty contrary responses. If I was homosexual, I wouldn't go to a godhatesfags website to post comments against their sub-religion unless I wanted more nasty contrary responses. If I was an Angels baseball fan, I wouldn't go to a Dodgers game and talk shit on the Dodgers unless I wanted my face ripped off and handed back to me. If I was a die-hard Samsung fan, I wouldn't go to AppleInsider just to comment on an Apple vs Samsung trial in favor of Samsung while badmouthing Apple and all it does (because you said they've never invented anything).

If I did any of those things, I'd have to be either extremely ignorant of the world or clueless beyond doubt that I could affect anyone's opinion in any of those venues. Yet here you are and you aren't ignorant or clueless, so what must you be?

I'm not saying you like Samsung more than Apple. I'm not saying you don't support Apple with your abundance of disposable income. I'm saying the examples I pointed out above describe internet trolls. I'm saying you are a troll. Someone that revels in negative attention by making comments that are obviously negative and disturbing to the fan base or even the casual follower of an organization, pretending to want to affect a change of heart of those poor souls that aren't of like mind with you, and pretending to be unbiased in your cause. It's poor form on your part honestly.

And further, you don't just do it on this website and you don't just comment negatively on Apple. You do it on a number of websites involving a number of organizations. You make a negative comment. Someone calls you out. Then you point to all the products you buy from that organization, waving your wealth and knowledge and diverse product library at people proudly, as if that proves your negative comment is valid to the discussion. It's really not. It's a waste of time, space, and bits to everyone but you.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #93 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I find this case very interesting and look forward to the outcome, whatever it may be. However, that's not why I'm posting.

It's self-evident you post comments to be attention grabbing, not to add to the conversation... or maybe you just have poor communication skills at trying to get the logical message in your head across. You seem intelligent so it can't be the latter. So you're an attention whore. That's ok. I understand there are personality types that thrive on it. It's when you deny it by arguing that you are adding anything reasonable to the conversation, that's when people get upset at you. And you seem to like when people get upset with you as well.

Interesting little tirade you posted there.... though completely off-base on every level.

I'm merely an avid gadget-enthusiast without preference for inane things like brands etc., always taking into consideration that none of them are perfect.

If something appeals to me... I Buy It & Enjoy It without one iota of concern for those more brand-partisan, who too often use brand-affiliation as some kind of proof that they're in the 'cool club' or some other such nonsense.

I Define My Possessions... Never Do They Define Me... and that makes all the difference. :-)

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #94 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Uncanny resemblance - so that's where Apple stole the iPhone design from.

watch the introduction to the iphone, there is an interesting comparison in there.. 

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #95 of 390
Quote:

Interesting little tirade you posted there.... though completely off-base on every level.

I'm merely an avid gadget-enthusiast without preference for inane things like brands etc., always taking into consideration that none of them are perfect.

If something appeals to me... I Buy It & Enjoy It without one iota of concern for those more brand-partisan, who too often use brand-affiliation as some kind of proof that they're in the 'cool club' or some other such nonsense.

I Define My Possessions... Never Do They Define Me... and that makes all the difference. :-)

One day, if you are lucky, before you die, you may just realise how wrong you are about yourself.

You lack 'bits'.

Here's to hoping you get them in the next life!
post #96 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

watch the introduction to the iphone, there is an interesting comparison in there.. 

So at what point do you think Samsung will introduce this as stealing from the Samsung SGH-E910?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #97 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Hmmm...perhaps it's time the quotes should offer the block list option too.

That would be a great option!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #98 of 390
Quote:

I always wondered what happened to that tractor-trailer full of RiM PlayBooks

I always thought that RiM stole those to increase sales numbers.

Quote:

There is another saying, "The invention of one generation is the necessity of the next."

And that is exactly what they did to their, back then, most popular device: the iPod. They killed it with the iPhone, and they're sort of killing the MacBook with the iPad. Steve said that they could have someone else kill their best selling category, or create the Next Great Thing themselves.

Quote:
Remember how the dissenters said that Apple didn't have a chance because the cellphone market was so entrenched? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because their smartphones were so much more advanced? Remember when the dissenters said Apple didn't have a chance in Asia because it didn't have a physical keyboard? For some reason all those lame arguments have fallen away and in their place have sprung remarks about how it was obvious and the only option moving forward.

Yep! TV on your phone, that's what everyone wants, right¿
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #99 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Quote:

Hmmm...perhaps it's time the quotes should offer the block list option too.

That would be a great option!

Asked by many already, but this is Huddle Tech, remember.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #100 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yep! TV on your phone, that's what everyone wants, right¿

Nokia N96.

post #101 of 390
Quote:

Oh Really... You. Fail. Yet. Again.

Anyway... The sooner all of this nonsensical litigation ends - The better for the entire industry.

Anyway... The sooner all of your nonsensical trolling ends - The better for the entire AI community.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #102 of 390
Quote:

Passive-aggressively belittling me is pointless to the conversation, although it's fair you act aggressively and dismissively when I accuse you personally of unseemly character flaws. I pointed to evidence that clearly defines your current behavior as a troll. You say I'm off-base. You're reasoning? Because you're an avid gadget-enthusiast without brand loyalty. You do realize you can be both at the same time, right? A person that buys lots of stuff and a forum troll. Then you ramble on about possessions, etc. without really responding to my comment directly, and noticeably not defending your Apple Invents Nothing statement, all while throwing around what appears to be an air of superiority.

Typical politician's response of not actually responding to accusations made against you, just deflecting as you've done in the past. I don't care what you buy, I don't care what or who defines you, I don't care how much of a cool rebel you are because you don't join in with others' passions of the trials and tribulations of specific companies. All I was commenting on was your troll-like posts. Just your negative and disprovable posts that serve no purpose but to get responses like the one I'm typing to you right now.

I'd ask you some direct questions as to why you post stuff like you do in venues like this, but no one else has been able to get reasonably anywhere with you and it's late where I am, so I'll just let you get back to that gilded bridge under which you hide all your electronics you don't let define you (yet, inexplicably, letting your troll posts define you). Until the morrow.

post #103 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

As far as your Mac Mini goes, Samsung and Google have combined to provide a nice replacement so you can send your money to South Korea:-

Why is it an issue with your money going to Sth Korea as opposed to it going to Cork?
post #104 of 390
Quote:

Now you've done it....

DaHarder is breaking out pictures of his equipment... This can't end well!

Mother's features, fathers fixtures.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #105 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now you've done it....
DaHarder is breaking out pictures of his equipment... This can't end well!
Mother's features, fathers fixtures.

Whenever he whips his pictures out I am already reminded of the idea of guys in trench coats flashing people their privates.

post #106 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why is it an issue with your money going to Sth Korea as opposed to it going to Cork?

Who said it was an issue?

post #107 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

It's not an issue, as long as people keep buying our rocks, she'll be right, mate.

post #108 of 390
Quote:

Whenever he whips his pictures out I am already reminded of the idea of guys in trench coats flashing people their privates.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #109 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thank you so much!!!!

<<<<<<AVARD>>>>>>

Best Off Topic Posts Ever!!!

LMAO
post #110 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Thank you so much!!!!
<<<<<>>>>>
Best Off Topic Posts Ever!!!
LMAO

To the tune of Frère Jacques:

Uncle Sherman, Uncle Sherman;

Show us now, Show us now;

What's behind your trenchcoat, What's behind your trenchcoat?

Ding dang dong, Ding dang dong!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #111 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Reasonable question. The tax thing for one. Other US companies do this and I don't like them either. My dislike is very much centered on Apple building itself up on the backs of other, in this case students, and then forgetting about them. Case in point. When the iPod came out Apple was giving discounts to students who purchased them. Apple also gave discounts to students who bought computers. As the iPod became more ubiquitous Apple stopped giving students a discount. Apple has also continued to reduce the discount that students receive when buying a computer. Finally, Apple used to give a free iPod to students who bought a new system for the fall. First they reduced the value of the credit to a new iPod and now have switched over to giving $100 credit on iTunes.

I am sure some folks will claim students are lucky to get anything at all (true) and that the students who bring this up (of which I am one - returning student) are self-centered/self-important/self-entitled. Those statements might hold water if Apple had never given better discounts to students in the past. But as Apple's profits and market share have risen, they have reduced what the students who supported them receive. 

First, Apple wasn't built on student purchasing.  It was built of public purchasing.  Meaning all segments not just limited students or educators.  And while its always nice to get a discount, no company is required nor should be expected to maintain the same level of discounts for the life of a company.  Nor do I remember any consumer level education discounts back in the company's early history.  I know they did large school reduction of price for schools to purchase in bulk, but I don't recall ever seeing them for the individual consumer (back in the late 70's and early 80's).  Those perks aren't done out of the companies goodness, but to get a consumer when they are new to making choses on products.  When companies are having a hard time (iMac G3, early I pod period) Apple needed to grab a larger customer base.  Now that need is dramatically smaller (so much as to be laughable).  

As for being over priced, what is over priced?  Where is the national standard for what % markup companies can put on their products and still be considered a fair price?  I am quite sure you use and consume products with fair greater markup then what Apple has, and probably rarely even think about it (in some cases I am sure as a consumer you are completely unaware of it, as some aren't widely reported).

post #112 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Who said it was an issue?

Mr Kmart himself, otherwise why did he mention Korea?
post #113 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Denison points out that a device with rounded-corners is simply logical, noting that "if you drop it, it's much more likely not to crack if it's rounded."

If it's that damn logical, why weren't they doing it with units like the BlackJack and BlackJack II that I owned? Apparently it didn't become logical until after an iPhone??

post #114 of 390
I hope Apple wins this case and then pulls away from samsung 100%. There are many other suppliers out there.

Also, I'm replacing my 55inch led Samsung with a Apple tv if and when they come out.
post #115 of 390
Quote:

Why don't you just take this argument to its logical conclusion? No one invents anything because, in fact, natural elements make up all products any one entity produces and those entities didn't 'invent' the elements, did they? No, like so many other entities before it, Apple took separate elements that were previously available and combined them into an unique and new combination, inventing a new product. Was it the first touchscreen mobile phone? No. Was it the first mobile device with full internet browsing capabilities? No. Was it the first candy bar mobile phone? No. Was it the first mobile phone with music and video player functionality? No.

But it was the first mobile phone with all those features and more, and whose features were inarguably very accessible and easy to use. You can't point to another mobile phone that came before the iPhone that had all those capabilities in one product that was so user friendly. So Apple did invent something.

If there is one person that can be documented as being on more sides of an issue than you, it's Mitt Romney (whatever you think about the man, it's true). And that's a close call.

Quote:

Passive-aggressively belittling me is pointless to the conversation, although it's fair you act aggressively and dismissively when I accuse you personally of unseemly character flaws. I pointed to evidence that clearly defines your current behavior as a troll. You say I'm off-base. You're reasoning? Because you're an avid gadget-enthusiast without brand loyalty. You do realize you can be both at the same time, right? A person that buys lots of stuff and a forum troll. Then you ramble on about possessions, etc. without really responding to my comment directly, and noticeably not defending your Apple Invents Nothing statement, all while throwing around what appears to be an air of superiority.

Typical politician's response of not actually responding to accusations made against you, just deflecting as you've done in the past. I don't care what you buy, I don't care what or who defines you, I don't care how much of a cool rebel you are because you don't join in with others' passions of the trials and tribulations of specific companies. All I was commenting on was your troll-like posts. Just your negative and disprovable posts that serve no purpose but to get responses like the one I'm typing to you right now.

I'd ask you some direct questions as to why you post stuff like you do in venues like this, but no one else has been able to get reasonably anywhere with you and it's late where I am, so I'll just let you get back to that gilded bridge under which you hide all your electronics you don't let define you (yet, inexplicably, letting your troll posts define you). Until the morrow.

DaHarder can you answer questions and stop being a tool! Are you internet Troll....YES  or no

Silverpraxis very good comments and replies, just wish this tool (DaHarder) would have some balls and admit his behaviour

post #116 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

DaHarder can you answer questions and stop being a tool! Are you internet Troll....YES  or no

Silverpraxis very good comments and replies, just wish this tool (DaHarder) would have some balls and admit his behaviour

Take you pick-

a) Paranoid Personality Disorder: This personality disorder is marked by a suspicion of people in almost all situations, with no reason. They feel that everyone is against them and are constantly scanning the environment for proof of their suspicions.

b) Schizotypal Personality Disorder: In schizotypal personality disorder, a persons speech, behaviour, thinking and/or perceptions are disturbed in an odd way, but not disturbed enough to be diagnosed as schizophrenic.

d) Borderline Personality Disorder: Borderline personality disorder is characterized by an unstable sense of self, a needy dependency on relationships with others in order to achieve a sense of identity, distrust of other people, a suspicion of people and an expectancy that they will be abandoned or victimized, an ambivalence towards people

e) Histrionic Personality Disorder: The main feature of this disorder is self-dramatization - an exaggerated display of emotion. These emotional outbursts are manipulative and are aimed at attracting attention and sympathy.

f) Narcissistic Personality Disorder: This disorder is characterized by a grandiose sense of self-importance, which is often combined with periods of feelings of insecurity and inferiority. They brag of their achievements and predict great successes for themselves in their future, and expect the attention and adoration that would be given someone as gifted as they think they are.

g) Avoidant Personality Disorder: This disorder is marked by social withdrawal. This withdrawal is due to a fear of rejection.

h) Dependent Personality Disorder: This disorder involves a dependence on others. These people are fearful and incapable of making decisions on their own. Underneath this dependency exists a fear of abandonment.

i) Obsessive compulsive personality disorder: The defining characteristics of this disorder are excessive preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and control.

http://www.psychologycampus.com/abnormal-psychology/personality-disorders.html
Edited by uguysrnuts - 8/4/12 at 5:39am
post #117 of 390
Quote:

More power to you. I used to say the same thing. But there is a threshold to how much toxicity a person can take. At best, this category of posters are paid shills or simply bored out of their minds. At worst, rumors sites, especially Apple rumor sites, tend to attract individuals with mental illness science hasn't yet come out a name for.

I disagree. People like daharder exhibit clear signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

This disorder is characterized in some ways like a 'God complex'. They believe that their opinions are the only thing that matters and the world revolves around them. If they have an opinion, it's automatically right and if you disagree with that opinion, it's perceived as an attack on their person. They have a well-known deficiency in critical thinking skills and are unable to discern anything related to logical thought that might interfere with their need to make themselves the center of attention. It's as if their thinking process were:
If A = B and B = C, then D = Me.

NPD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder[1] in which the individual is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. This condition affects one percent of the population.[2][3] First formulated in 1968, it was historically called megalomania, and it is closely linked to egocentrism."

A more complete description:
http://health.yahoo.net/channel/narcissistic-personality-disorder.html
A person with narcissistic personality disorder:
- Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
- Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
- Has feelings of self-importance
- Exaggerates achievements and talents
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
- Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
- Requires constant attention and admiration
- Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
- Has obsessive self-interest
- Pursues mainly selfish goals
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #118 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I disagree. People like daharder exhibit clear signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
This disorder is characterized in some ways like a 'God complex'. They believe that their opinions are the only thing that matters and the world revolves around them. If they have an opinion, it's automatically right and if you disagree with that opinion, it's perceived as an attack on their person. They have a well-known deficiency in critical thinking skills and are unable to discern anything related to logical thought that might interfere with their need to make themselves the center of attention. It's as if their thinking process were:
NPD:
"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder[1] in which the individual is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. This condition affects one percent of the population.[2][3] First formulated in 1968, it was historically called megalomania, and it is closely linked to egocentrism."
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love

I was just trying to be kind. When you think about it, these individuals are incredibly sad. The thing about mental illness is everyone else but the person seem to be aware of the problem, and the person is incapable of any self control to do otherwise.
post #119 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

NPD:

[duplicate post]
post #120 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswood View Post

First, Apple wasn't built on student purchasing.  It was built of public purchasing.  Meaning all segments not just limited students or educators.  And while its always nice to get a discount, no company is required nor should be expected to maintain the same level of discounts for the life of a company.  Nor do I remember any consumer level education discounts back in the company's early history.  I know they did large school reduction of price for schools to purchase in bulk, but I don't recall ever seeing them for the individual consumer (back in the late 70's and early 80's).  Those perks aren't done out of the companies goodness, but to get a consumer when they are new to making choses on products.  When companies are having a hard time (iMac G3, early I pod period) Apple needed to grab a larger customer base.  Now that need is dramatically smaller (so much as to be laughable).  

As for being over priced, what is over priced?  Where is the national standard for what % markup companies can put on their products and still be considered a fair price?  I am quite sure you use and consume products with fair greater markup then what Apple has, and probably rarely even think about it (in some cases I am sure as a consumer you are completely unaware of it, as some aren't widely reported).

It's pretty obvious that Apple is a luxury brand. The markups that Apple charge are even higher than some global luxury brands. I'm sure Merc, Bimmer, LVMH Moet Hennessy, and Italian fashion houses envy Apple's markups and can only dream of ever having a half trillion dollar market cap. :D

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'