or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › NASA's control room flooded with Macs during Mars Curiosity landing

NASA's control room flooded with Macs during Mars Curiosity landing - Page 2

post #41 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

car computer CPU's run around 128MHZ and play multi channel music through the stereo. according to some android fans you need a multi core CPU's just to do simple things like check email and listen to music at the same time

Surely you are not mixing the roles of engine management and media playback.  A car's ECU plays no role in music playback.  If you are referring to the microcontroller/processor in the stereo head unit to playback music-- that is a very simple and one dimensional task.  Comparing the processing ability to a tablet/smartphone is not reasonable.  Nice random android jab though.

post #42 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

25 people and 5 macbooks?  Got yourself an AI article.

learn how to count...

post #43 of 135
Quote:

I counted more than 5.

But hey watch any Astronomy related documentary you will find those NASA youngsters engineers and scientists DO use Mac.

post #44 of 135

No wonder NASA is suffering, they are spending 90% of their funding on Macs. What a waste of money, a PC would be more productive.

post #45 of 135

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 2:56pm
post #46 of 135

BUT BUT BUT I THOUGHT MACS WERE TOYS NOT MEANT FOR REAL WORK THATS WHAT EVERYONE IN ALL THE COMMENT SECTIONS OF ALL THE TECH SITES TELL ME!!

post #47 of 135
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkriver View Post

When Chick-fil-A COO, Dan Cathy, was asked about the Curiosity rover's seemingly successful Martian landing, he said, "Those scientists would learn more exploring the Bible than some decoration God hung in the sky."

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Seriously?

The best part is, even though he didn't say it, he was thinking it.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #48 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yay the Mac! Not that Apple will give a stuff, they don't care about people using their products for serious work, they only want to sell you more rock songs.

What a childish thing to say.  

post #49 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Ah, yes, thanks.

I'm still curious which of those SolipsismX thinks uses Android, or any other means by which such a comparison might make sense....

FWIW he also mentioned Raspberry Pi, which will support Android 4.x. Perhaps that will give him cheap enough hardware to give it a spin.  :)

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/08/06/more-android-and-linux-support-for-raspberry-pi/

EDIT: OOPS! That was you that mentioned the Pi, not Soli. Sorry!

melior diabolus quem scies
post #50 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

No wonder NASA is suffering, they are spending 90% of their funding on Macs. What a waste of money, a PC would be more productive.

I know you're just a troll, but in fact NASA is a very cost effective and efficient operation, much more so than any part of the military for instance.  

The only reason NASA is "suffering" is because their budgets are constantly being cut back in favour of more bombs and guns for the military.  Their entire budget is a faction of a fraction of almost nothing relative to the rest of the economy and only die-hard conservatives and tea party idiots believe that crap about NASA "wasting" money.  

It's propaganda, not reality. 

post #51 of 135

deleted

post #52 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4bones View Post

learn how to count...

Wait what numbering system are you using?  I use decimal.  I am going right off the first picture.. you know the one showing 5 macbooks.  Is the 25 number wrong?  It was approximate.  If you want me to count the people on the other side of the glass then it's probably closer to 30?  So yeah I guess you're right.  30 people, 5 macbooks.

post #53 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Great picture for the next time some idiot thinks an iPad with Mickey Mouse iOS is a computer. This is what you can do with an Apple computer and a real OS.

Grow the **** up. Yes. because NASA is not using iPads to land a car on mars 150 million miles away it's not a 'real computer', because thats what real computers need to do. Do you honestly know the definition of a computer? What's that magical, concrete thing that separates an iPad from a computer? The iPad is more powerful than many personal computers from a few years ago. It has a ton of real productivity apps. It's a computer whether you like it or not. What about in a few years, when it's 10x as powerful as it is now and the software is even more mature? Will it still be 'not a computer' then, because it has a touchscreen? Can't believe people bring up this bullshit point. 

post #54 of 135
Quote:

I'd be willing to bet every one of those Macs are BYOD, so apparently the individual scientists disagree with your assessment. Besides, costs less, does not equal more productive, not to mention that at least one of the Macs pictured probably has Windows installed as well as OS X. That is unless they are using Parallels to run a VM of Linux, which could also be a likely configuration considering NASA uses a lot of Linux.

And 5 Macs (possibly more) out of a group of 25 scientists does actually deserve an AI article as the percentage is much greater than that of the general population. So why do scientists prefer Macs more than the general population. I could speculate but...

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #55 of 135

deleted

post #56 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That one Sikh guy in the room must be having some mixed emotions 

Could you explain this or is it just some random bigoted remark?  That is to say are you an actual bigot or are you just posting *seemingly* bigoted remarks cause you think it's funny if someone reacts to it?  Either way it's pretty childish, and kinda comes form the same headspace, no?

post #57 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

If I'm reading that chart correctly, the 256MB bot was Opportunity, in 2004.

Curiosity sports 2 GB RAM.

Neither used Android, or even Linux, nor even iOS, so I'm not sure what the comparison is about.

FWIW, you can run a full-blown Linux install on the Raspberry Pi, which, like the rover Opportunity, has only 256 MB RAM.

For myself, the more interesting spec in that link was the clock speed of the embedded systems:  Curiosity runs at only 200 MHz, and Opportunity at only 20 MHz.  That's some lean, green engineering.

You call that lean? Doesn't the Voyager space probe use a 1Mhz 8-bit CPU? And they're still going, long after the manufacturer warranty expired.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 135
Quote:

I count at least nine Macs out of only about 15 people actually sitting down and doing work with computers. 

post #59 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I counted more than 5.

But hey watch any Astronomy related documentary you will find those NASA youngsters engineers and scientists DO use Mac.

I use a Mac, but not sure what the relevance even is here.  Besides, I can't count.  Someone help me find the rest of the macs.  Do I need more Kool-Aid?

post #60 of 135
Quote:

Yeah, this mission cost 2.5+ billion dollars, yet '90% of their funding' is spent on Macs. If they bought, oh lets say, 500 Macs that would be... 0.002% or so of that Mission's budget. Any more brilliant insights from you? Maybe you should send NASA an email, you obviously have done more research in the 3 seconds it took you to post that about the subject than they have, as a message board troll you clearly know better than the minds that work at NASA.

If there were no macs in that photo, you would be trolling and drooling in glee about how its evidence that Macs are toys. Glad you found a different angle, the 'NASA must be incompetent because they buy macs' angle. Well done. 

post #61 of 135
Quote:

Those are ˝personal˝ computers not NASA ones certainly, a government agency buying Macs, NO WAY!

Actually NASA lets their engineers have a choice between a windows machine and an Apple machine. At least in JSC the apple machines are running Snow Leopard

post #62 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Could you explain this or is it just some random bigoted remark?  That is to say are you an actual bigot or are you just posting *seemingly* bigoted remarks cause you think it's funny if someone reacts to it?  Either way it's pretty childish, and kinda comes form the same headspace, no?

No I was putting myself in his place and very much feeling sorry for his loss as those killed in the temple massacre could have very well been friends or family. That mixed with the excitement of the Mars landing could have been rather stressful. Sorry I should have been more clear.

post #63 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

To be picky, that picture is not really the control room. For pictures/video of the control room:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/panorama20120804.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/08/watch-the-nasa-control-room-react-to-curiositys-martian-touchdown/260734/

Didn't anyone ever tell you that "the truth should never stand in the way of a good story"? Indeed, this does look more like a break room than any mission control I've ever seen though....

post #64 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

He worked on the Mars Climate Orbiter, too, right?
;-)

NASA use exclusively Thinkpad(the best) on their orbiters and space station..

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/Resupply_image_011.html

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #65 of 135

Would you trust your $2 billion project to a Windows machine?  I think not.

post #66 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

NASA use exclusively Thinkpad(the best) on their orbiters and space station..

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/multimedia/Resupply_image_011.html

20 October 2003 Soyuz TMA-3

post #67 of 135
Quote:

Please, you know that IS not true.

Some pro people are very happy with these .apps. 

They lost me after their first productivity app they mentioned was Twitter...

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #68 of 135

The ultimate Genius Bar.

post #69 of 135

That's how OS X rolls...

post #70 of 135
Quote:

Wait what numbering system are you using?  I use decimal.  I am going right off the first picture.. you know the one showing 5 macbooks.  Is the 25 number wrong?  It was approximate.  If you want me to count the people on the other side of the glass then it's probably closer to 30?  So yeah I guess you're right.  30 people, 5 macbooks.

Really?!? You android idiots really need to learn how to count!! You morons seem to know when a crapdroid has more mhz...

there are 2-3 which i believe are macs but cannot verify..

post #71 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No I was putting myself in his place and very much feeling sorry for his loss as those killed in the temple massacre could have very well been friends or family. That mixed with the excitement of the Mars landing could have been rather stressful. Sorry I should have been more clear.

My apologies.  I definitely over reacted. 

post #72 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4bones View Post

Really?!? You android idiots really need to learn how to count!! You morons seem to know when a crapdroid has more mhz...

A bit over the top for an insignificant subject. I'm absolutely certain that you could number a pic to prove a point without mating it with three ad-homs, making you sound juvenile. I would hope that wasn't your intent.

post #73 of 135
Quote:

Those are ˝personal˝ computers not NASA ones certainly,
And you can tell this be ause everyone who works at NASA brings their own personal computer to work and puts an inventory control tag on the top left corner as shown in he photos?
post #74 of 135
Quote:

For your information PC machines cost more than Macs...stop comparing strip down basic Dell with Macs but compare similar equipped machine and you will see PCs are much more expensive i.e. Thinkpads, Dell Xps, Asus..

post #75 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I know you're just a troll, but in fact NASA is a very cost effective and efficient operation, much more so than any part of the military for instance.  

The only reason NASA is "suffering" is because their budgets are constantly being cut back in favour of more bombs and guns for the military.  Their entire budget is a faction of a fraction of almost nothing relative to the rest of the economy and only die-hard conservatives and tea party idiots believe that crap about NASA "wasting" money.  

It's propaganda, not reality. 

While I agree that NASA serves a useful purpose and that we spend far too much money on the military, the rest is fairly histrionic. NASA's budget is $19 B this year. That's real money.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #76 of 135

That was nicknamed the "Apollo 13" project.

post #77 of 135
Makes sense those guys are using OS X. Most of the stuff they are working with is running Linux and/or VxWorks, using X11 for the GUI stuff. Having a full BSD userland, GNU toolchain and X server available on your laptop if you are working on this kind of stuff is a huge benefit. Most unix programs compile and run on OS X without modification, and you don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get remote X and a halfway decent shell.

Using Linux would probably be the only viable alternative, but if I had a choice I'd take OS X any day of the week. At work I'm on Linux all day, and while it's a great OS that's both powerful and fun to use, It can't hold a candle against OS X if it comes to usability and average application quality.
post #78 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yay the Mac! Not that Apple will give a stuff, they don't care about people using their products for serious work, they only want to sell you more rock songs.

Not that clear on Apple's business model, huh?

post #79 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkriver View Post

When Chick-fil-A COO, Dan Cathy, was asked about the Curiosity rover's seemingly successful Martian landing, he said, "Those scientists would learn more exploring the Bible than some decoration God hung in the sky."

Now that is awesome!

How can USA be the most powerful country on earth still?

post #80 of 135

You really need to learn to count. I see 20 macs and at least another 100 I can not confirm.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › NASA's control room flooded with Macs during Mars Curiosity landing