or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to extend smaller Dock Connector to iPad, other iOS devices this year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to extend smaller Dock Connector to iPad, other iOS devices this year

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Apple may refresh all of its iOS devices to include a much smaller Dock Connector that is expected to make its debut on the new iPhone next month, according to a new report.

iMore, which was first to report on plans for the smaller connector earlier this year and similarly made what appears to be an accurate prediction of a September 12th date for an introduction of the next iPhone, cites the same source as saying Apple will refresh all of its iOS devices to use the same connector by year's end.

This would include the new iPhone 5, the the new iPod nano and iPod touch, the rumored 7-inch iPad mini, and an updated version of the current 9.7-inch iPad.

The information comes from the same sources that told iMore about the new, smaller Dock connector back in February, and about a mini Dock adapter to fit legacy accessories last month.


The report is the second in as many weeks to suggest that Apple could hold aspirations of refreshing the iPad a bit earlier than would be expected. iLounge reported last week that Apple?s plan for the fourth-generation iPad is to "release another relatively modest body tweak, which would keep the shape basically the same while introducing the new small Dock Connector, a rear-side microphone, and spec-improving/heat-reducing changes to the hardware inside."



The publication, however, hedged its bets against a 2012 release, pointing to Apple's historical product cycles for the product, which typically span about 12 months. The current iPad was released in March.
post #2 of 30
Shocking! Apple introduces a new standard for one device, and then expands the technology to similar devices as each product refreshes? No! (way to state the obvious iMore)
post #3 of 30

I was fully expecting Apple to keep the new dock standard exclusive to the new iPhone, and leave all other iDevices with the current dock forever. Because that would make sense. 

post #4 of 30

Duh, of course the new dock connector will be rolled out to all products that have the current one, either as they normally refresh, or in the case of the iPod line, as part of a long-awaited refresh.  How is this news?  Also, an adapter to allow accessories to connect to the new, small dock connector will come out as well.  Heck, we already know the adapter probably going to retail for $19-$29.

post #5 of 30

I still find it hard to believe Apple would introduce a refreshed iPad 3 halfway through its yearly cycle. Unless it contains only a new dock connector, there would be a lot of unhappy people--and some angry still at even that "minor" change.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #6 of 30

This, from Bloomberg, says it best:

Apple Changes IPhone Connectors. World Freaks Out

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-26/apple-changes-connectors-dot-world-freaks-out

post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I still find it hard to believe Apple would introduce a refreshed iPad 3 halfway through its yearly cycle. Unless it contains only a new dock connector, there would be a lot of unhappy people--and some angry still at even that "minor" change.

I don't see it happening either. IMO they'll stick with the March refresh for the full-size iPad.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

This, from Bloomberg, says it best:

Apple Changes IPhone Connectors. World Freaks Out



http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-26/apple-changes-connectors-dot-world-freaks-out

Yeah, yeah. A week after that, a dozen Kickstarter projects appear to sell dock adapters for existing universal docks. Otherwise, I'm buying the last iPod Classic.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 30

Just thinking how this will screw up all the people who currently own accessories with the original style of dock connector ... external speakers, clock radios, etc.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Just thinking how this will screw up all the people who currently own accessories with the original style of dock connector ... external speakers, clock radios, etc.

 

 

Instead of introducing a completely new standard (which is not going to last anyway), the'd better get rid of all wiring altogether in favor of wireless charging, BT, air-play. A big plus as they would achieve a sealed case.

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Just thinking how this will screw up all the people who currently own accessories with the original style of dock connector ... external speakers, clock radios, etc.

So they use a $5 adapter for existing hardware.

If they're smart, they'll see it as an opportunity - they get to sell new devices to existing customers. For a relatively cheap product, that's the likely outcome - people will pass their speakers and other connectors on to the kids who get the old iPhone and then buy a new, improved set of speakers for the new one.

For the expensive items (like the $1500 speaker system), they'll simply make an adapter and the problem goes away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post


Instead of introducing a completely new standard (which is not going to last anyway), the'd better get rid of all wiring altogether in favor of wireless charging, BT, air-play. A big plus as they would achieve a sealed case.

The problem with wireless charging is that it's inefficient. I estimated once that using wireless charging on all the iDevices in the US would waste the equivalent of a full scale power plant.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #12 of 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The problem with wireless charging is that it's inefficient. I estimated once that using wireless charging on all the iDevices in the US would waste the equivalent of a full scale power plant.

 

Can you imagine a gain in efficiency when owners of iDevices do not have to buy water-proof cases or extra water-proof cameras? I would guess these things would require more than a full scale power plant to be produced.

post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I still find it hard to believe Apple would introduce a refreshed iPad 3 halfway through its yearly cycle. Unless it contains only a new dock connector, there would be a lot of unhappy people--and some angry still at even that "minor" change.

It would be a silent upgrade. Change the connector and die-shrink the A5X (as the A5 in the aTV3 which Apple apparently uses to try the new production process on a smaller scale). Would save some battery and reduce the heat.

post #14 of 30
News headline:

"Apple to introduce dock connection fragmentation. World moves to Android as result."
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

News headline:
"Apple to introduce dock connection fragmentation. World moves to Android as result."

 

Trading one fragmentation for another.  Sure, why not :)  Don't forget the Magsafe fragmentation too heh

post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

News headline:
"Apple to introduce dock connection fragmentation. World moves to Android as result."


Channeling Dareuters news service?
post #17 of 30

Not sure what the confusion is. I read the article as saying that there's an indication existing models will have a minor refresh with the new dock connector. Not for the next model but as a refresh of the current models.

 

I'm not sure it'll happen but I don't see it being too difficult to do. Still, would it make sense for Apple to do this?

 

Also, wasn't it already indicated that there would be an adapter from the existing 30 pin to the new format?

post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Shocking! Apple introduces a new standard for one device, and then expands the technology to similar devices as each product refreshes? No! (way to state the obvious iMore)

No, iMore is saying they will refresh the iPad right now just for this connector. Which I'm not buying

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


So they use a $5 adapter for existing hardware.

 

That's obvious, but the issue is fitting an adapter into those devices that have the dock connector set inside a well, such as a Bose SoundDock. Maybe the adapter with the new style connector would have a well of its own to physically stabilize the Apple device. (Of course, if it's an add-on adapter from the likes of Bose, you won't be forking out just $5. Aside from their noise canceling headphones, which seem to work really well, never has there been another company that charges so much to deliver so little to customers who are so ignorant!)

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

 

That's obvious, but the issue is fitting an adapter into those devices that have the dock connector set inside a well, such as a Bose SoundDock. Maybe the adapter with the new style connector would have a well of its own to physically stabilize the Apple device. (Of course, if it's an add-on adapter from the likes of Bose, you won't be forking out just $5. Aside from their noise canceling headphones, which seem to work really well, never has there been another company that charges so much to deliver so little to customers who are so ignorant!)

 

What about mediocre headphone's sold with a rapper's name on them, at least with Bose you get some attempt at quality, not just an overdone bass boost.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Shocking! Apple introduces a new standard for one device, and then expands the technology to similar devices as each product refreshes? No! (way to state the obvious iMore)

My thoughts exactly! The only question here is timing.
post #22 of 30

Smaller dock connector, smaller nano-SIM tray, and presumably smaller dies for the SoC. Either Apple intends to use all that extra space for as big a battery as possible to counteract possible battery issues related to LTE, or there's something extra, special going into the next iPhone that they need to make way for.

post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Just thinking how this will screw up all the people who currently own accessories with the original style of dock connector ... external speakers, clock radios, etc.

 

If the phone's physical shape is changing, won't those accessories be useless anyway?

 

I'm sorry, but people can't decry the purported iPhone designs as not a radical enough change on one hand, while crying foul about a 10 year old cable connector on the other.

post #24 of 30

My problem with the original iMore article is that he justifies this Fall 9.7" iPad refresh theory by pointing back to Daring Fireball's self-admitted spitballing post about why Apple MIGHT do a refresh in the fall of last year.  Gruber was never serious, and if I remember correctly said several times on the talk show he regretted the ruckus it caused.

 

AFTER that post all the other tech sites chimed in with their own sources, but it was just a snowball based on nothing.

post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Smaller dock connector, smaller nano-SIM tray, and presumably smaller dies for the SoC. Either Apple intends to use all that extra space for as big a battery as possible to counteract possible battery issues related to LTE, or there's something extra, special going into the next iPhone that they need to make way for.
I read elsewhere that they were mostly aiming at an even thinner design, and that was all. Hopefully they will go toward your battery improvement speculation.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post


Instead of introducing a completely new standard (which is not going to last anyway), the'd better get rid of all wiring altogether in favor of wireless charging, BT, air-play. A big plus as they would achieve a sealed case.
We would be better with them starting to use real industry and ubiquitous standards like microUSB with some jack connector, rather than proprietary crap and the adapters you will have to move between existing third party devices rendered artificially obsolete...
post #27 of 30

Why are people so mad about an earlier than expected update of iPad? It is likely just a minor update and they don't need to buy it, or do they (because otherwise they would feel they have an obsolete device)? I just don't get it.

 

It means the old "new iPad" will be sold for a discount for a short period of time, which is a good thing :-P

post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

We would be better with them starting to use real industry and ubiquitous standards like microUSB with some jack connector, rather than proprietary crap and the adapters you will have to move between existing third party devices rendered artificially obsolete...


Are there any details on the new smaller connector? Is it going to be just another proprietary solution? Any change it will be a thunderbolt port?

post #29 of 30

This is funny. I have a whole drawer full of the soon-to-be 'legacy' connecting cables. Which I will happily keep. Which will prevent me from buying a new iOS device ever again.

 

Hahaha...the cable turns out to be the thing that puts a dent in Apple's iOS device sales going forward.

 

I can see it now: "Why aren't Apple's new iOS devices flying out the doors like they used to?"

 

"Well, everyone has roughly 27 of the older cables and they still want to use them. Their iHome radios all use the old 30-pin docks and they still want to use them. That BOSE system they paid $400 for...they still want to use it."

 

And so on.

post #30 of 30

Yeah, Apple's just changing these things out all the time... it's like, almost every decade!

 

You've got a drawer full of cables for devices you've bought (and presumably enjoyed using), and now you're going to stop buying iOS devices because you can't use your old cables anymore. So what you're saying is that the quality of the device plays no part in your purchase decision, just your ability to continue to use legacy peripherals.

 

Amazing...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple rumored to extend smaller Dock Connector to iPad, other iOS devices this year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to extend smaller Dock Connector to iPad, other iOS devices this year