or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 142

Obviously AI is going to have a pro-Apple opinion on this. At the risk of being called a troll, despite about 95% of my posts being pro-Apple and being here for years etc, this is a very very bad move. 

 

Think the average user. I mentioned something about iOS 6 recently and a non-technical friend replied on Twitter that she was looking forward to it. Shes a big iPhone fan.

 

What she will get - the most obvious things at least are

 

1) An inferior map service with no StreetView

2) No youtube.

 

Whats new?  From here - http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Apples-iOS-6-Whats-New-and-Whats-Missing/?page=1 - because I honestly forget.

 

Siri on iPads.

Reading list. 

FB integration.

Passbook, smassbook.

FaceTime over 3G

 

An Iphone user wont notice siri on iPads. Reading list is a minor addition. FB integration wont matter, as apps do that already where they need to. Passbook wont be useful off the bat. iCloud integration on Safari is a small update, and matters to people with more than one device. FaceTime, not really used on iPhones and you better never use it on a data plan.

 

So, the update will seem like a regression to the average user. They will download and wonder what has changed and miss youtube and google maps. The day after a general release the conversation will be how to download google maps and you tube. 

 

This is nuts: just as Apple uses google search, it should use google where it has to, where Google is better. And cut the crap.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #42 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

So glad the Android version of this app is incredible.

 

Amazing UI and can even preload my videos for whatever channel

 

 

Oh my God - that's SO AWESOME!!!  What's even better is that your iOS knockoff device lets you troll Apple forums!

post #43 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Obviously AI is going to have a pro-Apple opinion on this. At the risk of being called a troll, despite about 95% of my posts being pro-Apple and being here for years etc, this is a very very bad move. 

Think the average user. I mentioned something about iOS 6 recently and a non-technical friend replied on Twitter that she was looking forward to it. Shes a big iPhone fan.

[...]

This is nuts: just as Apple uses google search, it should use google where it has to, where Google is better. And cut the crap.

I agree with you on Apple's Maps thus far, but with YouTube they are sill using Google. There is no iTube. There is no YouTube alternative. It's still YouTube's servers and YouTube's site. The difference is Google will supply the app on iOS or you'll just use your browser of choice to load videos. The latter is much, much preferable option in my opinion.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #44 of 142

I've been reading through this thread, and in typical fashion, there are a lot of 'who cares it sucks anyway' responses.  I'm a huge Apple fan, a developer, and I own large amounts of Apple product.  And this is my opinion:

 

It does matter.

 

First, it is not easier and more effective to use You Tube in Safari.  It is notably slower, and it crashes the browser frequently.  

 

Second, saying that the loss of the Apple designed application is unimportant is by implication arguing that it is better to let Google determine the best way to interact with this content on an Apple device, and that is never ever a safe bet in my opinion.  Take a look at other Google designed applications, and compare them to their Apple counterparts.  Google designed apps are almost always crap and they almost never demonstrate the same ease of use, intelligence of design, or even basic thought that Apple designed applications do.  YouTube on Google branded devices like Google TV, tablets, etc. is just a frustratingly crappy experience and I cannot believe anyone seriously would recommend that over the Apple designed application.  Ditto for Netflix on GoogleTV.  And what about GoogleTV itself.  Crappy.  YouTube actually is an important feature to many people, and letting Google determine what that experience will be like on an iOS device is just not good.

 

Third, you are arguing that it is best to let Google determine what is acceptable in the platform and what isn't.  The Apple App could have parental controls and other restrictions put in place, and it thoughtfully did not expose the user to every video of a gyrating hoochie within a 12 nation radius just because it is 'popular', a great feature for those of us who have kids that want to see videos of roller coasters or marble machines.  Google does not, as a corporation, feel such things are important and does not even provide users with a way of determining what should and should not make it onto their home page.  So, saying you feel ok letting Google control that is arguing you are ok letting Google have some meaningful influence in the platform experience and I think that's garbage in a major way.

 

Last, YouTube is a major draw and reason for devices like Apple TV.  And since AppleTV has no browser, loosing the app is a significant product change.  Hopefully the change will not extend to Apple TV.

post #45 of 142

Apple: "Hey, it looks like our 5-year contract with you to use YouTube is running out, and we should renegotiate"

Google: "That's right, we want another $5 per device for the privileges of us advertising to your users"

Apple: "So how much is that going to cost us since we have half the market of actual, people using their devices?"

Google: "Eleventy Gabillion Dollars"

Apple: "Right...."

post #46 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The difference is Google will supply the app on iOS or you'll just use your browser of choice to load videos. The latter is much, much preferable option in my opinion.

Yep I like web apps where most of the content is coming from the Internet anyway. That way you don't need dozens of stand alone apps. maps.google.com works pretty well also except no street view since there is still not a suitable Flash alternative in Mobile Safari. I'm not sure how they made it work in the iOS app but apparently HTML5 has a ways to go before it can replace some things.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #47 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yep I like web apps where most of the content is coming from the Internet anyway. That way you don't need dozens of stand alone apps. maps.google.com works pretty well also except no street view since there is still not a suitable Flash alternative in Mobile Safari. I'm not sure how they made it work in the iOS app but apparently HTML5 has a ways to go before it can replace some things.

I'm hoping Google's Maps apps for iOS will have that feature. It's the number one reason why I look forward to it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #48 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Third, you are arguing that it is best to let Google determine what is acceptable in the platform and what isn't.  The Apple App could have parental controls and other restrictions put in place, and it thoughtfully did not expose the user to every video of a gyrating hoochie within a 12 nation radius

I know someone will eventually ask anyway, might as well get it out of the way. Do you have any links to the gyrating hoochies?

 

Just kidding. I get your point. I never really considered that.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #49 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know someone will eventually ask anyway, might as well get it out of the way. Do you have any links to the gyrating hoochies?

Just kidding. I get your point. I never really considered that.

How about the best thing S. Korea has ever produced?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #50 of 142

Dumping YouTube is a strategic blunder.

post #51 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Third, you are arguing that it is best to let Google determine what is acceptable in the platform and what isn't.  The Apple App could have parental controls and other restrictions put in place, and it thoughtfully did not expose the user to every video of a gyrating hoochie within a 12 nation radius just because it is 'popular', a great feature for those of us who have kids that want to see videos of roller coasters or marble machines.  Google does not, as a corporation, feel such things are important and does not even provide users with a way of determining what should and should not make it onto their home page.  So, saying you feel ok letting Google control that is arguing you are ok letting Google have some meaningful influence in the platform experience and I think that's garbage in a major way.

I don't quite understand this one. How has iOS's Parental Controls prevented certain video content to not be loaded in the YouTube app? Is Apple analyzing each video for content?

Also, if you give your child an iDevice with access to Safari you've already lost that battle.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #52 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


How about the best thing S. Korea has ever produced?

I'd like to see it however it seems that YouTube cannot deliver it to me at this time. I am getting 20M download speed according to Speedtest.net so either that video is really popular or perhaps someone put some parental controls on my Mac. lol.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #53 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't quite understand this one. How has iOS's Parental Controls prevented certain video content to not be loaded in the YouTube app? Is Apple analyzing each video for content?
Also, if you give your child an iDevice with access to Safari you've already lost that battle.

I think they are rated.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #54 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


I'd add my 2-cents but it appears the sane folks here did it for me...

Sane folks have him on ignore.

post #55 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Makes sense to me. Google can just upload it to the app store. All the web links seem to take you to a mobile web version now anyway. No need for this to be built-in.

Exactly. Not everyone uses YouTube so why should it and not also Vimeo etc get built in inclusion. Google can just release it as a standalone app like Vimeo and the rest. No big deal

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #56 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube". It's only a matter of time before they start restricting what pages Safari will load, and what pages its customers should and should not see.

Wow, hyperbole much?

post #57 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

YouTube in Safari is much better than the app.
The YouTube app has long been in my iOS folder called "waste", full of apps I can't delete, and never use.

Indeed, especially when things like history are device specific even when I'm logged in. If I'm on a mobile app I will hopefully be able to see everything no matter where I went first. That alone is enough to make me happy

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #58 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't quite understand this one. How has iOS's Parental Controls prevented certain video content to not be loaded in the YouTube app? Is Apple analyzing each video for content?
Also, if you give your child an iDevice with access to Safari you've already lost that battle.

 

How do I use Safety Mode?

Follow the instructions below to access and turn on Safety Mode:

Safety Mode On:

  • Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting
  • Click On and Save to opt in
  • You are now in Safety Mode!

turn safety mode on 
safety enabled
To opt out, open Preferences and Click Off and Save.

 

Locked Safety Mode:


lock safety mode

  • Sign in to your YouTube account
  • Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting
  • Click On and Save and Lock to opt in and lock this browser
  • You are now in Locked Safety Mode!
  •  
    To opt out, open Preferences and Click Unlock Safety Mode.
    Enter your YouTube password to unlock Safety Mode.
 

 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #59 of 142

Apple is reducing the value of its iOS platform. In many ways, this is the worst aspect of Apple's "go it alone" personality coming to the fore. I trust a platform more when it is a collaborative environment, with multiple parties and vendors contributing to the overall suite of services. Apple really wants to use its services exclusively. iTunes for music and video, iCloud for synchronized storage, iCal for calendaring, Address Book for contacts, Safari and Mail for internet, and now a custom built mapping solution. I wouldn't be too surprised if they come out with their own web search.

post #60 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pole Inside Her View Post

I suspect it was google's decision to remove the app from iOS, not apple.  

Possibly. The license runs out and Google says they don't want to renew it because they would rather go independent with the app. Apple says sure.

As for the Apple TV, it could be a different contract so nothing to worry about there

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #61 of 142

Ok, well let me be more specific.  I happen to have a Google TV, and an Apple TV.  I sometimes use the GoogleTV because it is integrated into my HDTV, but if I want to show my kids a movie of a volcano erupting, or any of the 990 bajillion other things little boys want to know about, I cannot do it on the Google TV.  Why?  Because on the Google TV the YouTube 'home' page - the page you see immediately when you load the application - shows primarily and prominently those videos which are most popular right now.  And those videos are predictably almost always some skanky hooch gyrating on some rapper's lap.  Worse, Google doesn't even give users a way to control that experience, so you cannot even do so much as set a preference to not show the popular items.  So, while I agree with the admonition to not give your kid a mobile device, it really side-steps the issue a bit; I cannot even crank up the app itself without my 4 year old witnessing scantily clad skanks gyrating against someone else's crotch, in 52 inches.

 

One of the key differences between Apple and Google is that Apple thinks it is important to give users choices over their content.  Google spouts a mantra of 'freedom' for content, but what that maps to in practice is that you are free to experience whatever garbage we want to spew at you, so that we can figure out a way to profit from your consumption of it.

 

I'm pretty much a believer that the reason Google Apps are almost always so really abysmally bad is, first and foremost, because the application isn't Google's primary product; you are.  So of course they have no real interest in ensuring that your experience of their application is wonderful, or in giving you really effective mechanisms for controlling that experience.  In fact, giving you that power actually runs counter to their real business because it limits their reach and control over how you obtain and interact with content.  This is in my opinion part of what Steve Jobs was 'on about' when he caustically derided Google's 'don't be evil' corporate standard.  What Google does in my opinion is fundamentally evil on many levels, because it turns people into a product; instead of concentrating on providing value to the consumer, Google's many projects focus on, in real terms, extracting value from them.  Any value the consumer realizes as a follow-on is largely ancillary in value to google, and that is why, I suspect, so many of their efforts or so bad when first out of the box.

post #62 of 142

And I'll just add to this that there are two other points I made, one of which is how just abysmally bad Google produced applications are.  Letting Google control the experience of a significant selling point for a device is very very questionable as a tactic.  That's why, I suggest, Apple originally built their own YouTube and Maps applications; these were considered too central to the device's marketing points to be left in the hands of Google.

post #63 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

 

Second, saying that the loss of the Apple designed application is unimportant is by implication arguing that it is better to let Google determine the best way to interact with this content on an Apple device, and that is never ever a safe bet in my opinion.  Take a look at other Google designed applications, and compare them to their Apple counterparts.  Google designed apps are almost always crap and they almost never demonstrate the same ease of use, intelligence of design, or even basic thought that Apple designed applications do.  YouTube on Google branded devices like Google TV, tablets, etc. is just a frustratingly crappy experience and I cannot believe anyone seriously would recommend that over the Apple designed application.  Ditto for Netflix on GoogleTV.  And what about GoogleTV itself.  Crappy.  YouTube actually is an important feature to many people, and letting Google determine what that experience will be like on an iOS device is just not good.

 

I'll point out I'm definitely anti-apple but realize people like their products because they're good and people like the ease of integration that Apple products deliver.  

 

I own a handful of Google products and some are better than others.  I actually enjoy my Google TV though.  It has the best netflix interface I've seen (roku, xbox, ps3, blu-ray players).  I've not messed with an Apple TV though so perhaps it has a better interface but from what I've used Google TV has the best netflix interface.  Youtube also works fine on the Google TV.  It could be better and doesn't compare to using youtube on a desktop or even a mobile device but it's still very functional and I find if I want to youtube something in bed I can quite easily with my Google TV.  I don't usually 'browse' youtube.  When I go to youtube it's for a specific purpose, Google TV's youtube app handles this magnificently (a fully QWERTY keyboard on the remote control is a definite plus in this regard).  I thought the bashing on Google TV was unwarranted from my personal usage of one.

post #64 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How do I use Safety Mode?



Follow the instructions below to access and turn on Safety Mode:
Safety Mode On:
  • Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting
  • Click On and Save to opt in
  • You are now in Safety Mode!

youtube_174084_enable_safety_mode_en.gif 
youtube_174084_safety_enabled_homepage_en.gif

To opt out, open Preferences and Click Off and Save.

Locked Safety Mode:

youtube_174084_lock_safety_mode_en.gif
  • Sign in to your YouTube account
  • Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting
  • Click On and Save and Lock to opt in and lock this browser
  • You are now in Locked Safety Mode!
  •  

    To opt out, open Preferences and Click Unlock Safety Mode.

    Enter your YouTube password to unlock Safety Mode.
 

That's what I don't understand. That's a server-side setting, not something that is unique to Apple's YouTube app. So how is this feature going away simply because Apple isn't making the app?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #65 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We'll know they are serious when they no longer allow Google search on iOS and remove the GMail choice in the Mail accounts. Apple gets paid big $ for Google being the default search, not that Apple really needs the money. Those contracts are probably coming up soon too.

Apple's never going to restrict its users from using GMail or Google Search. They may downplay those options, but that's not the same thing.

post #66 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Apple is reducing the value of its iOS platform. In many ways, this is the worst aspect of Apple's "go it alone" personality coming to the fore. I trust a platform more when it is a collaborative environment, with multiple parties and vendors contributing to the overall suite of services. Apple really wants to use its services exclusively. iTunes for music and video, iCloud for synchronized storage, iCal for calendaring, Address Book for contacts, Safari and Mail for internet, and now a custom built mapping solution. I wouldn't be too surprised if they come out with their own web search.

 

Can you blame them? And why not? If home-grown is done *right*, it can very well offer s superior experience due to the integration and that special "Apple touch" when it comes to apps. 

 

My question is, with all of Apple's billions, all that talent, WHY NOT go it alone? The more Apple differentiates themselves from the rest of the pack, the more attractive all that promise of integration will be. The very reason Apple are so successful today is *because* they barely license anything. All that control over their platform is a boon to consumers. At least, so say their wallets. 

post #67 of 142

I'm sorry you felt it unwarranted.  I happen to own both a GoogleTV and an AppleTV, and I think it is very warranted.  It goes without saying that these are my opinions... but they aren't formed in a vacuum; I have extensive experience with both platforms and with the various apps core to each.  

post #68 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Why does Appleinsider Staff jump to the conclusion that this

 

There are other possible scenarios as noted in this thread already. Why does every change have to be a reflection of some tactical shot to beat the other guys, ie, Google? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course, but speculation is being presented as news.

 

<suggest> I've been following AI for years now. I love it. I do wish that we could have an editor who wants to take this site's profile to the next level. Grammar checks, less sensationalism, add originality, bring back the occasional article from Andy Zaky, more reviews, etc, would be great. (I do really appreciate DED's indepth, original reviews.) Some sensationalism increases viewership and ad revenue but there are so many loyal followers. How about you reward us by maturing the site? </suggest>

 

Agree 100% with this.  Start by cleaning up the the trolls from the forums and article discussions.
 
Develop some original in-depth articles and how-to's - less sensationalism and following other websites articles and leads.
 
 
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equpped with 18,000 vaccuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.
by Popular Mechanics
Reply
post #69 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That's what I don't understand. That's a server-side setting, not something that is unique to Apple's YouTube app. So how is this feature going away simply because Apple isn't making the app?

I just posted that to show you that they are rated. I have not researched it but I would imagine the iOS app works exactly the same way. Why else would it show up in the parental restrictions settings if it had no effect? It was more about the other poster saying YouTube browser had no restrictions as well as your remark which I understood to imply that the app could not restrict content.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #70 of 142

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Adobe has canceled Flash development on mobile devices, and its middleware platform is now becoming increasingly irrelevant on the web as HTML 5 takes over more and more features formerly served by Flash. After YouTube's switch to serving H.264, other prominent video distributors followed suit, to the point where most of the world's web videos do not require Flash to work, an unbelievable scenario back in 2007.

 

Total nonsense, and factually incorrect. FUD! Adobe didn't cancel Flash development on mobile, they dropped the Flash Player support in lieu of native AIR applications, which are Flash. Flash is the primary format of all major video streaming sites, and supporting 3 formats instead of 1 format has created a problem, not solved one. HTML(5) still is not, and will not be for years and years, able to supersede or even parity the features in Flash. What you're describing isn't Apple winning, it's Adobe making peace with the fact that a mobile browser plugin will never gain ubiquity because Apple refuses to support it. Flash is still very much relevant and every time I hear an Apple fanboy spout some nonsense about it being dead, it just reminds me how ill informed people truly are. Such is the American way.

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #71 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Miles View Post

 

I'll point out I'm definitely anti-apple but realize people like their products because they're good and people like the ease of integration that Apple products deliver.  

 

I own a handful of Google products and some are better than others.  I actually enjoy my Google TV though.  It has the best netflix interface I've seen (roku, xbox, ps3, blu-ray players).  I've not messed with an Apple TV though so perhaps it has a better interface but from what I've used Google TV has the best netflix interface.  Youtube also works fine on the Google TV.  It could be better and doesn't compare to using youtube on a desktop or even a mobile device but it's still very functional and I find if I want to youtube something in bed I can quite easily with my Google TV.  I don't usually 'browse' youtube.  When I go to youtube it's for a specific purpose, Google TV's youtube app handles this magnificently (a fully QWERTY keyboard on the remote control is a definite plus in this regard).  I thought the bashing on Google TV was unwarranted from my personal usage of one.

 

I'm sorry you felt it unwarranted.  I happen to own both a GoogleTV and an AppleTV, and I think it is very warranted.  It goes without saying that these are my opinions... but they aren't formed in a vacuum; I have extensive experience with both platforms and with the various apps core to each.

post #72 of 142

I'm glad Apple is putting its personal vendetta against Google above the welfare of its customers.  Always a good sign of strong leadership.

 

/S

post #73 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Apple's never going to restrict its users from using GMail or Google Search. They may downplay those options, but that's not the same thing.

Of course they can't restrict it as that would be against the law. What I am suggesting is that GMail will be configured under  "Other Mail" and Google search will have to be accessed through the browser. I would imagine the current settings and selections are purely contractual.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #74 of 142

So Apple does away with the built-in YouTube app, but still forces you to waste screen space on things you'd like to delete, like Game Center, News Stand and Weather.
This lack of customization is one reason I'm glad to be a former iPhone customer.
post #75 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube".

 

Do you want to pay 2.25% of the total cost of your iPhone, PC or X-Box to Google for the use of one or two H.264 standards essential patents?

 

Google want you to, which is why they continue to aggressively sue Apple and Microsoft, even though as a member of MPEG-LA they agreed not to.

 

Good riddance to bad (patent trolling) rubbish.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #76 of 142

Who cares about iOS devices? I haven't used my iPad in over 4 months, and I prefer to use a landline telephone anyways. Mac is where it's at! Long live the desktop!

post #77 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube". It's only a matter of time before they start restricting what pages Safari will load, and what pages its customers should and should not see.

 

Really?

 

I think you need treatment for your paranoid delusions.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #78 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Update: in a statement issued to Reuters Apple said:

Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.

 

I'd bet money that Apple's license to include the Maps app in iOS expires at the same time the YouTube app license expires.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #79 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Here's a crazy question -- does that mean the beta for Apple TV has excludes YouTube? Maybe more evidence that APPS are in fact coming to Apple TV ?!!

I've "heard" that YouTube is still present in the latest IOS beta for AppleTV 2, Gen2. Dunno about Gen 1 but wouldn't make sense [to me] to pull it from older and not newer.
post #80 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

 

 

Flash is still very much relevant and every time I hear an Apple fanboy spout some nonsense about it being dead, it just reminds me how ill informed people truly are. 

Flash is relevant in terms of video delivery only because IE 6,7,8 do not support HTML5. Currently having to include video in our web pages is 4 times more tedious in this transitional stage because the video wars are raging heavier than the early days of QT vs. Real Media vs. Windows Media. Now instead we have H.264, WebM, Ogv, and Flash. I liked it better when Flash was ubiquitous because I only had to deliver one format. But all the other formats are much leaner and mobile doesn't support it anyway. Flash on the other hand is quite useful for things like Street View and Google Finance to name a few. Eventually HTML5 will replace those too but the author ware portion of HTML5 is really where the deficiency lies not the delivery of it. Flash has certainly become much less relevant lately. Perhaps you are the one who is ill informed.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u]