or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple adds more 3D cities to iOS 6 Maps

Apple adds more 3D cities to iOS 6 Maps - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

This thread as opposed to your "I can't be wrong, regardless of what I post even when it is clearly obvious you're either drunk off your as* or on drugs".

I am at least willing to talk about why Apple Maps suck.  That is the reason for a room full of people to discuss what they thing or how they feel.

You are getting really Sloppy and lazy in your replies (if your are still the same Sloppyism).

I'd say that at least one too many personal attacks over the line. Judges?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's sad how pathetic you people are.

being a global moderator and all, is this the official appleinsider.com position?
Quote:

You're about one or two posts away from a permanent ban, courtesy one of the other mods. Stop posting this stupid crap and get yourself back to a legitimate argument. It's quite obvious you've never even touched an iPhone.

speaking of stupid crap, see your earlier comment ...
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The guy is tekstud, for sure.

I hope they haul his 4$$ out of here soon.

I don't know, tekstud at least "tried" to sound intelligent. This guy is straight from the teleprompter typed by the google cult.

Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #44 of 94
You want me censored for not having the same opinion as the rest of the postings…

Nope.

Is this really an open forum to give your opinion?

No, this is a private forum. It hasn't been public for a decade.

The Ski moderator sounds like he's in his parents house and replying out of his room before he has to go to bed for the 5th grade.

Oh, yeah. You're really gonna get people on your side with delicious ad-homs. lol.gif Also, you're making me want to go skiing, and I've never been.

To put it more clearly.  Apple maps in iOS6 suck in their current rendition.

To put it more clearly, it's a beta that isn't anywhere near completed by any stretch of the imagination, and yet the quality of its 3D imagery already surpasses the release version of Google Maps. 

If your issue is with the maps being incomplete, so are Google's. Say that I'd like to see the streets of Mussoorie where my father grew up. Can't do that in Street View! Guess it's not as "indispensable" as the Anti-Apple Brigade would have us believe! I suppose I'll have to "settle" for pictures of the place. You know, pictures? It's a form of media I don't have to wait around for some company to get government approval for, as they're available on their own already.

APPLE NEEDS GOOGLE FOR THE IPHONE.

Nope.

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
being a global moderator and all, is this the official appleinsider.com position?

Close enough, I should think. Serious question: Why should we have to tolerate the same hundred arguments, long disproven, vomited up in every single thread by the Anti-Apple Brigade when they have nothing to do with the topic at hand (and, as previously stated and cannot be stated enough, are long disproven)?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #45 of 94

"applause"

post #46 of 94

By the way, I noticed recently that Google Street View in iOS Maps app has some interiors now. It’s rare, but pretty bizarre, “walking” into a hair salon and seeing a bunch of strangers getting shampoos in the Maps app!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Is that true? That's kind of awesome!

Supposedly you can even see Rochester, NY across the lake on a clear day, which is around twice as far as Buffalo. (I was up in the CN Tower as a kid but I don’t recall looking at anything really distant.)

If that’s true, then looking at a map I feel like you should be able to see THREE great lakes (under ideal conditions) from the Tower: Ontario, Erie (where Buffalo is) and Huron (Georgian Bay is about the same distance as Rochester, and I don’t see any mountains in the way).

post #47 of 94
Quote:

You're about one or two posts away from a permanent ban, courtesy one of the other mods. Stop posting this stupid crap and get yourself back to a legitimate argument. It's quite obvious you've never even touched an iPhone.

Teckstud is back again, I see. How many aliases does that deranged guy have anyway?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple continues to expand the capabilities of Maps in iOS 6 with Monday's release of the beta number four, adding a U.S., Canadian and European cities to those with "flyover" 3D data.
In preparation of rolling out its newest mobile operating system, Apple has updated its Maps app to include so-called "flyover" data for a number of major cities worldwide, including Philadelphia, Manchester and Toronto.

Wouldn't this be a function of what's on the server, not the app?

Any time buildings & roads get updated, they need to update the app itself?

post #49 of 94
Quote:

I have to get ready for a night with the wife and getting busy is what I do best at night.

While she's asleep, you're getting busy by yourself? lol.gif

post #50 of 94
…it's your bedtime. I have to get ready for a night with the wife and getting busy is what I do best at night.  Thankfully my day job supports my night fetishes.

post #51 of 94

As if Apple will stop working on it the day iOS ships. Google had years to gets its mapping in place. Apple will outsource the local transit to 3rd party developers, who will swarm at the opportunity to make money under the umbrella Apple has left for them. The choice of such will be much greater at better in the long run than if Apple did it all themselves. Sure, this is not the usual Apple way, but it doesn't mean it wont work either.

post #52 of 94
Quote:

Because America is for free Speech, Apple Maps in IOS6 really do suck.  Apple lost youtube today and it's your bedtime.

I have to get ready for a night with the wife and getting busy is what I do best at night.  Thankfully my day job supports my night fetishes.

Looks like this one's been pushed over the edge. Someone please put him out of his misery.
post #53 of 94
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post
As if Apple will stop working on it the day iOS ships. Google had years to gets its mapping in place. Apple will outsource the local transit to 3rd party developers, who will swarm at the opportunity to make money under the umbrella Apple has left for them. The choice of such will be much greater at better in the long run than if Apple did it all themselves. Sure, this is not the usual Apple way, but it doesn't mean it wont work either.

Ooh, what? I don't like that idea. I'd think Apple would interface with local transit groups to pull all the times into the proper iOS maps database itself rather than force individual apps for each city's transit, don't you? 

I mean, for Siri, Apple just pulls from WolframAlpha and various sports sources; they don't have to create their own repositories to host that data. It's like traffic. Apple doesn't have a network of traffic cams/people themselves; they pull the data from the sources that are already in place. Why wouldn't they just do that with transit and walking data, too?

post #54 of 94
Quote:

Apple lost youtube today and it's your bedtime.

I have to get ready for a night with the wife...
Morgan Fairchild?
post #55 of 94
Quote:

You either live in a box and don't have a computer or your are lying, or you're computer illiterate.

When you need it, I hope Google charges you to use it on 2007 tech phone.  Cool calculator though. 2+2 =4. Who would need more than that, it's only 2012.

Nothing about the content of your post justifies taking anything you say seriously.

And yes, that 2007 tech phone has your precious google street view and scientific calculator built in. But you wouldn't know about that, would you?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Street view is completely worthless. I have never once had the need for it and I travel extensively (as in > 200 days/year). Same with transit. Most cities don't have it and those that do are frequently wrong on the Google routing.

Not to be contrary, but I use Street View because I can't travel to many places I find interesting. For example, I used street view to walk around ground zero in Hiroshima, see what a particular neighborhood in Nova Scotia was like, and do other virtual sightseeing on my iMac. For GPS I love my simple Tomtom that attaches to my windshield with a sucker. I use some things because I already own them and others because they are easy. 

I hope Apple's entry into the mapping arena makes Google work harder to keep their dominance which will cause Apple to work harder to give the iDevice owners a top-notch experience. It will be win-win.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #57 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Looks like this one's been pushed over the edge. Someone please put him out of his misery.

Tallest doesn't have that kind of powah! Unfortunately.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Teckstud is back again, I see. How many aliases does that deranged guy have anyway?

It'd be awesome if AI's forum software could detect a banned troll's past handles and automatically display them.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #59 of 94
Quote:

You want me censored for not having the same opinion as the rest of the postings while the only one that broke any rules was the moderator "TheTallestSki".

Is this really an open forum to give your opinion?

The Ski moderator sounds like he's in his parents house and replying out of his room before he has to go to bed for the 5th grade.

To put it more clearly.  Apple maps in iOS6 suck in their current rendition.  The room can apologize for Apple all they want.

APPLE NEEDS GOOGLE FOR THE IPHONE.

If you just joined, why do you have so much animosity towards Solipsism and Tallest? No, you've been here before, you've posted before, under a different alias.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 94
Street View does have its uses even if you have the exact address and can read a map.

One example is being able to identify the destination address by sight ("tall yellow building") rather than try to decipher street numbers (which can often be very difficult to read while driving.

Other examples might be understanding if street parking will be easy or difficult, if there's a parking lot/garage, whether or not the road is a major thoroughway or just a side street/residential road.

This is one of the limitations with GPS navigation apps; they say "turn in 500 feet" when a typical human being might find better instructions to be "turn right before the light blue dental office building".
post #61 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Honestly? Street view is nice, but I used it once just to check out the cool pictures. In real life, it is just about useless or in the very least unneeded most of the time. This 3D mapping will be cooler and just as useless as Street view. Apple's maps address the number one shorting coming of the built in maps. Namely the lack of turn by turn navigation. Further, Tom is providing the mapping data, which means the map data will be good. 

Besides turn-by-turn directions, Street View is probably the most useful feature of Google Maps. It has its frustrations, but it pretty much allows you to see how the place looks before you even get there. Sometimes satellite imagery is only so useful for finding that unfamiliar restaurant. 

I'm HOPING 3D maps will at least get pretty close, but I doubt that it can replace street-levle photography. 

post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I hope the turn by turn GPS will work offline or its kind of worthless for me. I use my GPS when I go to the US and I dont have a data plan in the US.
You are better off using a GPS app with offline/built-in maps.

Whether you use the basic mapping function on an Android device or iOS device, there's no way to ensure that you'll have all the map tiles for everywhere you might be going, so you should have the entire map on your device.

There are free GPS navi apps like NavFree or payware apps like CoPilot.

Of course, without data, you lose real-time traffic and traffic incidents/events, but almost all GPS navi apps will work okay with just a GPS signal (I drive a lot in the mountains where there is no cellular signal).

Just don't expect this kind of mapping app (the basic iOS map app) to provide all the map tiles for GPS navigation.
post #63 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Ooh, what? I don't like that idea. I'd think Apple would interface with local transit groups to pull all the times into the proper iOS maps database itself rather than force individual apps for each city's transit, don't you? 

I mean, for Siri, Apple just pulls from WolframAlpha and various sports sources; they don't have to create their own repositories to host that data. It's like traffic. Apple doesn't have a network of traffic cams/people themselves; they pull the data from the sources that are already in place. Why wouldn't they just do that with transit and walking data, too?

True. Could happen. There's some good apps out there, and databases to tie into. I like Apple's idea of doing things these days, and yes, even Twitter and Facebook system level integration, although I agree it should have a Settings to Turn them On/OFF.

But the way Apple is tying in other businesses, apps, databases, I think is the right way to go. Using TomTom, OpenMaps, Waze, etc. is brilliant in my opinion. Same with Yelp, etc. etc. etc. Apple is building a HUGE SEARCH ENGINE, that will in many ways surpass Google in the long run. And they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. In my opinion, they are looking at what they think are the best apps/databases and integrating them into a larger, stronger, more applicable, more usable way of FINDING, not just SEARCHING for the information you need at any given moment.

Just sayin'....

post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Street view? Meh. Street view is only really necessary if you're incapable of reading a map.
I can see the argument over transit information, but the rest of the arguments are mostly whining. And if the Apple solution doesn't suit you, no one is stopping you from downloading an app from Google.

Nonsense. Street View is an incredibly useful tool to see what an area you're not familiar with actually looks like from human eye level. Even if Apple ever manage to get (and maintain) aerial views for every city, town, and village in the world, they will only be of use when we all have jet packs. (or helicopters)

Street View is invaluable. Aerial views are fluff.

post #65 of 94

The great Street View vs Arial View Suck-Off of August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Nonsense. Street View is an incredibly useful tool to see what an area you're not familiar with actually looks like from human eye level. Even if Apple ever manage to get (and maintain) aerial views for every city, town, and village in the world, they will only be of use when we all have jet packs. (or helicopters)

So:

• the [Google] iOS maps app has had street view since 2008
  • the [Apple] iOS 6 doesn't have street view and the app won't be available until September 2012
  • "Street View are invaluable"
  • "Arial Views are fluff"

Your hyperbole, and the fact that Apple's iOS 6 maps app just added 3D Arial view for some additional cities, gives me an idea for a contest...

Background:

I was at an IBM symposium in the early 1970s that was held in Boston.  We lived in ChicagoLand and decided to drive.  I dropped wife and daughter at my wife's parents' house in Pittsburgh on the way.  On leaving Boston, I decided to drive through upper NY state so I could see Niagara Falls.  Long story short... Lotsa' snow, got to Niagara Falls, total disappointment... the falls was turned off...  Seriously, they had dammed the river and diverted the flow so they could remove the alluvial rock buildup beneath the falls.  

A Few years later, I was at an awards symposium  in Toronto... our pre-planned, orchestrated "free time" event was a trip to Kings Island Park -- where it was said that from the very top of the CN Tower you could see downtown Buffalo... This was of interest to me because Buffalo was the home of Niagara Falls -- and I still wanted to see Niagara Falls...  The CN Tower was closed, so no luck there... So near, but it was not to be as I couldn't take a side trip (IBM arranged all the transportation).

Aha!  Now's my chance to see Niagara Falls and test Street View vs Arial View.

Search Results [Google] Maps app

Click images for larger view

Search Results [Apple] Maps app

Street View [Google] Maps app

OK, What do I do now?

Arial View [Apple] Maps app

The great Street View vs Arial View Suck-Off of August 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You be the judge!

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/7/12 at 2:04am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #66 of 94

Ya' know...

Apple may really have something here...

I have been playing with the new maps and looking at places I've lived, worked or visited --- to see if a 3D aerial view was available, and how it looked.

Some surprises: Stanford University campus is 3D...but less than a mile outside the campus (Palo Alto proper) is not. You can't see HP HQ in 3D.

Most of downtown LA is 3D -- out through the Wilshire District is 3D... but 3D ends abruptly at Wilton... You can see the Angel's Flight Cable Car at 4th and Hill in 3D.... From Main you Spring to Broadway, then over the Hill to Olive... Oh isn't it Grand to Hope to find a Flower on Figueroa?

Angel's Flight Cable Car (purple pin) is a train that goes 1 block up a steep hill in downtown LA.

Paris and Rome aren't... Chicago is...

Even when there is no 3D data for buildings, there seems to be 3D data for the earth's surface (different sources?).

I find exploring in Flat 3D mode (no 3D data) Arial view (at an angle) more useful and faster that 90 degree overhead view -- you get a much better perspective [pun intended].

All-in-all, exploring this way is interesting, educational... and kinda' fun.

My grandson is a Minecraft [game] addict, and his interest is rejuvenated every few nonths when a new "Texture Pack" is released for the game.

A release of some "new cities 3D data" for Apple Maps is kinda' like a new texture pack -- it rekindles [pun] your interest and makes you want to go exploring anew.

This is not your father's map... where your Mom read the map while your Dad drove and yelled at her -- in the process of getting lost.

Apple could release iOS 6 Maps with a statement that 3D is incomplete, but more "texture packs" will be coming every few months...  and turn a negative into a positive.

post #67 of 94
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You be the judge!

That's a nice extreme example of cherry picking.

Now find a shop, any shop, I don't mind which, from a town or village, not a city, in the UK (as I live there).  You'll see it from human eye level in street view. Useful.

Now show me the same in either Google or Apple's jetpack mode. 

Go on, I dare you.

post #68 of 94
And people go on about Apple fanboys. God if I hear one more fandroid go on about how "buttery smooth" their device is I'll vomit. It's an electronic device not a dairy product. Plus iOS devices have been "buttery smooth" all along so big frigging deal.
post #69 of 94
Quote:

Why is it that people think that simply repeating an erroneous argument will somehow make it come true?

You see, I know how to read a map. If I see a little dot on the map showing my location and know the address I'm going to, I can get there. I don't need to see pictures of the city to tell me where I am. Furthermore, the aerial view is a low enough level to be just as readily identifiable as the street level view in most cases - see the examples someone else provided.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Not to be contrary, but I use Street View because I can't travel to many places I find interesting. For example, I used street view to walk around ground zero in Hiroshima, see what a particular neighborhood in Nova Scotia was like, and do other virtual sightseeing on my iMac. For GPS I love my simple Tomtom that attaches to my windshield with a sucker. I use some things because I already own them and others because they are easy. 

I hope Apple's entry into the mapping arena makes Google work harder to keep their dominance which will cause Apple to work harder to give the iDevice owners a top-notch experience. It will be win-win.

And for your uses, the 3D fly-over is FAR better than street view. Not only are Apple's images about 10x better than Googles (not kidding. It is like comparing a 1 MP camera to a 12 MP camera), you can get a much lower vantage point on Apple's 3D maps.

The question is if Apple has the will to cover the Earth with this tech.
post #71 of 94
Quote:

I have talked to one person that uses street view about once per year to actually find something. It is the most interesting (though completely worthless) aspect of Google maps. You keep repeating the jet pack argument of the Google worshipers in the hope if you repeat it often enough, it will become true.
post #72 of 94

Street view - for those who can't read maps...  It's quite a sign of our times that people think that they can't find a place without seeing exactly what the front looks like despite having the address and turn-by-turn directions.  If you really can't find a place with the address and GPS you should really just hire someone to drive you around...

I tried street view dozens and dozens of times and it's rarely done squat for me.  For example, I tried to find a dentist in mid-town Arlington TX. I had the address but thought it'd be nice to know what the marquee looked like since I was in completely unknown territory so I went to street view and went to the address...  Yeah, nothing but a blob of blur that didn't help anything and I live in a pretty decently sized city where the street view shouldn't be useless. I don't know how many times I've gone to street view hoping to see something that might really be helpful but every single time, without fail, I end up back to just using GPS because it doesn't matter what the front looks like - the address is the address.

I fear for the day when no one knows how to use a map...

post #73 of 94
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Flyover made using normal satellite imagery combined with LIDAR? Or something like that aka photogrammetry aka some of the techniques used in the first Matrix.

That is, the LIDAR (or something similar) generates the 3D polygons and then the sat imagery is mapped onto that.

Ah well, y'all probably know that already.

Oh, and can someone clean up all the references and quoting of the weird poster? That was pretty much a kamikaze job so let's purge the fluff.

I'm trying to install iOS6 Beta4 over Beta3 (legit Developer account etc) and it doesn't seem to work. Will try iTunes.
Edited by sr2012 - 8/7/12 at 6:20am
post #74 of 94
Okay I was able to update iOS6 to Beta4 using iTunes. I shan't comment on Apple Maps because of the NDA, I will reserve my judgement until iOS6 final.
post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

... Same with transit. Most cities don't have it and those that do are frequently wrong on the Google routing.

I think there is an attitude among some that if Google does it, it must be good. Unfortunately, the reality is quite different. Most of what Google does is mediocre at best, and, yes, transit directions from Google don't even live up to mediocre.

post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Densely populated...
Canada....
Cities.....
THOUSANDS!?
If there were one thousand cities at a million per you'd be at a billion people. You're 9 peeps per square-mile? 35mil CO2 emitters? Hey, sorry they got 1 city but overstating the digits won't help the cause.
What am I missing? Perhaps the placement of the /s?

Thousands is an exaggeration, but major Canadian cities are in general denser than American cities... American ones tend to be very sprawled out.  In other words Apple could hit more customers per area of coverage in Canada than the states.  That being said I'm not holding my breath for more Canadian being done... maybe they'll add Vancouver but I bet that'll be it for a while.

post #77 of 94
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
It'd be awesome if AI's forum software could detect a banned troll's past handles and automatically display them.

Well, it automatically catches their first few posts and calls it spam, so that's pretty close.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
And people go on about Apple fanboys. God if I hear one more fandroid go on about how "buttery smooth" their device is I'll vomit. It's an electronic device not a dairy product. Plus iOS devices have been "buttery smooth" all along so big frigging deal.

Worst part is, it's not even smooth at all! Apparently these people have never had butter that didn't have hunks of curd floating in it, because they don't seem to know what 'smooth' means. lol.gif

post #78 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Street view - for those who can't read maps...  It's quite a sign of our times that people think that they can't find a place without seeing exactly what the front looks like despite having the address and turn-by-turn directions.  If you really can't find a place with the address and GPS you should really just hire someone to drive you around...

I tried street view dozens and dozens of times and it's rarely done squat for me.  For example, I tried to find a dentist in mid-town Arlington TX. I had the address but thought it'd be nice to know what the marquee looked like since I was in completely unknown territory so I went to street view and went to the address...  Yeah, nothing but a blob of blur that didn't help anything and I live in a pretty decently sized city where the street view shouldn't be useless. I don't know how many times I've gone to street view hoping to see something that might really be helpful but every single time, without fail, I end up back to just using GPS because it doesn't matter what the front looks like - the address is the address.

I fear for the day when no one knows how to use a map...

I use Street View often to gauge what an area is like before I go there, which is particularly useful for restaurants. If the area looks dodgy, then I don't go. It's a lot easier to do that on street view than to actual travel there only to realise too late that it's a graffiti covered hell hole full of criminals.

Also useful for house hunting, and for getting a visual idea of an area you don't know when you're low on time and don't want to get lost.

If people didn't use it, Google wouldn't have spent so much time and money photographing the world.

post #79 of 94
Quote:

That's a nice extreme example of cherry picking.

Now find a shop, any shop, I don't mind which, from a town or village, not a city, in the UK (as I live there).  You'll see it from human eye level in street view. Useful.

Now show me the same in either Google or Apple's jetpack mode. 

Go on, I dare you.

Obviously I cannot take the dare... As London is not 3D-mapped yet, so I strongly suspect that no smaller towns or villages have been 3D mapped.   But that's an ephemeral advantage.

Now I have a challenge for you and the [Google] iOS Maps app:

There is this small village, of some note, that hosted an historic event in 1984 in the auditorium of a small college campus.  With the [Google] iOS Maps app show me any view of the front or side of that building?

The village:  Cupertino, CA

The Event: The 1984 introduction of the Macintosh Computer

The Location: Flint Center Auditorium on the Campus of De Anza College

Simple, Huh?

Here's what I got on my iPad with iOS 5 (Click images to enlarge):

iOS 5 Maps Search Results

Oops, no street View... and no pin -- apparently Google Maps data doesn't know about Flint Center???

iOS 5 Maps Zoom to Find Flint Auditorium

Arrow highlights Auditorium as no pin from search and labels are hard to read

iOS 5 Maps Search for Cupertino

Maybe we'll have better luck finding a Street View if we start in downtown Cupertino

iOS 5 Maps Cupertino Street View

The Arrow indicates where Flint Auditorium is supposed to show up... after 25 taps to move the view forward I stopped, as I couldn't figure out where I was and no big buildings resembling the auditorium appeared on the left.

iOS 6 Maps Search Results

No street View either

iOS 6 Maps Overview Zoom

to show the whole college campus

iOS 6 Maps 3D Arial view

to show a more useful view of the whole college campus

iOS 6 Maps 3D Arial view

showing Flint Center from the rear

iOS 6 Maps 3D Arial view

showing Flint Center from the front  -- Stevens Creek Blvd.

So, after a lot of time, effort and frustration, I was able to get nothing of use with iOS 5 maps... pure drudgery.

But, with iOS 6 maps I was able to quickly find what I wanted and see what it looks like... it was interesting and fun!

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/7/12 at 10:10am

post #80 of 94
@ Dick Applebaum,

I don't get the point you are trying to make. It sounds like you are saying that FlyOver is more invaluable than Street View and have chosen examples that show some scenic overview which appears disingenuous. Try a city with tall buildings and look for a lone addresses where the door is sandwiches between two high rises. I've used Street view for that before. It's simply not possible with FlyOver once the buildings get a certain height.

To be cler, I'm fine with FlyOver being included. You've clearly shown some scenic uses, but you have not shown how it's a better option when it's less detailed — show me a house number on a mailbox, something I've done with Street View to send something a thank you gift — and doesn't coer the street level.

Why is so bad to want Apple to include this useful feature into their own mapping app? I'd like Apple to take it one step farther and use a similar system that they use in FlyOver to have their own Street View but with all the people and cars removed in post processing but still using actual images for the buildings on the 3D street level structure.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple adds more 3D cities to iOS 6 Maps