or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's latest "Genius" ads no longer airing during Olympic games

Apple's latest "Genius" ads no longer airing during Olympic games - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Wise Choice... They were each pretty terrible both in concept and execution.

Hopefully the next batch will be better.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

Good riddance. They were some of the worst [APPLE] ads I had seen in recent years.

**Fixed**

Exactly, compared to the ads we see daily from every other compan,y these Apple ads were not bad.  Only because Apple has had some great ads in the past, and a lot of pube fanbois and critics did these commercials get bad press.   99% of the people who watched them were not bothered by them.

I have watched very little of the Olympics, but of what I have seen, the most disturbing and annoying commercials are the political attack ads that are being run.  Really? During the Olympics?  Pretty sad.   Certainly not a bunch of geniuses in that crowd.

post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

They were probably cheap to make, aired a few times, and got everyone talking. Sometimes "bad" ads are the best publicity ever. Think Menards or Empire Carpets.

OMG, I thought those Empire Carpet ads were local ads.  I didn't know the entire country was being subjected to them! 

post #44 of 58
Quote:

They were probably cheap to make, aired a few times, and got everyone talking. Sometimes "bad" ads are the best publicity ever. Think Menards or Empire Carpets.

Yeah, that's great. Apple can devolve into the same level of brand as those two.

post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Thank goodness, they were rubbish!

It was almost like you could hear the trolls spinning up their insult engines as these embarrassingly stupid commercials came on and just made me absolutely loathe the service. They should fire whoever this ad agency is and seriously reprimand whoever approved the campaign 

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

John Hodgman was the PC itself and not the user.

Yeah they were also done satirically, just like the genius commercials.  You're applying logic where there is none is necessary.  I know John Hodgman was the PC and it was a joke.  Sort of my point.  I am really just pointing out the ridiculousness of the whole "genius" commercial debate.  There was nothing at all wrong or offensive with the "I'm a Mac" ads.  Just as I don't think there was anything offensive about the genius ads.  As a Mac owner I found them sort of funny.

post #47 of 58

The best thing Apple can do is bury them and have the public forget about them as soon as possible.

post #48 of 58

Empire was locally aired in Chicago until the 90's when they went national.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinearmind View Post

OMG, I thought those Empire Carpet ads were local ads.  I didn't know the entire country was being subjected to them! 

post #49 of 58
Personally, I didn't think the ads were nearly as bad as the media made them out to be. On the other hand, they weren't all that great either. Better to just move on.
post #50 of 58

Thank god- extremely tacky.

post #51 of 58

GOOD.

These ads should be filed under "Lest We Forget", next to eWorld and System 7.5.

post #52 of 58
Quote:

Who?

post #53 of 58
Quote:
A rep for TBWA/Media/Arts Lab, Apple's long-time ad agency, confirmed Monday that the spots have stopped running but said that was the Mac maker's plan all along. They were intended only for a ?first run? during the Olympics' first weekend, the rep said.

Uh huh. Because pulling your ads from record-breaking audience numbers is such great business sense that it makes absolutely no sense to anyone but marketing geniuses. Lame excuses are worse than none at all. This is one time Apple should have just stayed radio silent like they normally do, and let this misstep disappear into the ether of yesterday's news and scandals.

post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlinearmind View Post

haha, same here!

post #55 of 58
So much hate. I liked them. I thought they were a good evolution to show how Macs are different from your typical PC. You standard PC service ends when you leave the store but with a Mac it's only just begun. I think that's an important and still widely unknown message for typical PC user.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I lived in Minnesota for a brief time and I'll never forget how horrid those Menards commercials were lol

What? You didn't want to "save big money?" Heh, heh.

There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
post #57 of 58

I don't understand what all the hate is about.  Apple needed to get the word out there that their stores have experts that are willing to help and that this experience is unique to Apple.  Everyone who got defensive probably took it personally due to their own inept computer skills.  How else were they supposed to get the word out?

post #58 of 58
Quote:

Thanks a lot, KPOM. Now I have both jingles competing for attention in the back of my mind. Probably will for the rest of the day.

Being from Chicago, which is Empire's hometown, I've got 40 years worth of that tune burned into my head -- it's probably the deepest grove in my brain ;-)

I'd be willling to bet that if you were to hum the tune for just "5-8-8" that 95% of the people from around here could finish it... (way back before area codes were important and there was no 800 number, it was short and sweet)

Just googled and -- believe it or not -- there's a whole website http://empirecarpet.tv!

Here's a great one from the early 1970's -- with some "amazing" (?) shag carpet to match the drapes and wood paneled walls...
(my bitmark) http://bit.ly/Mnc7Cu

Like I said, thanks a lot...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's latest "Genius" ads no longer airing during Olympic games