or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › More Galaxy Tabs returned due to malfunction than mistaken identity

More Galaxy Tabs returned due to malfunction than mistaken identity - Page 2

post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Turns out that I was right to move you up a category on my list after all.

The truth will set you free.

post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Makes sense to me:  "This friggin' thing is malfunctioning!  It's not functioning like an iPad!" 

You might take note of some of the posts here and on other Apple forums regarding how many ipads they returned looking for the perfect screen with the current model. That aside Samsung has enough good engineers to produce something that works properly. If I had any interest in buying one, I would expect it to work properly.

post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Wow! We certainly showed them... More than twice as many people returned our tablets because they are shit... Than because they look like an iPad!

Without the figures for how many in total were returned, you cannot make any such statement.

If 1% of those sold were returned, then there is no problem at all.

If 10% of those sold were returned, then there is a significant problem.

If 30% of those sold were returned, then it would be all over the news.

All products sold will have some amount of them getting returned, due to being faulty in some way, or user stupidity ("I can't use it, whaaa!"), or mistaken identity.

What this report shows is that AT WORST, of the returns, 9% of people possibly mistook it for an iPad. In reality most of those people probably returned it and then tried the iPad instead. It does quite undermine Apple's argument that people mistook the Samsung product for the iPad.

post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Oh this is likely what happens:

"I'd like to return this thing."

BB - "Oh, okay, can I get the credit card you used to pay for it?"

Customers who return an item for any reason other than to exchange for the same item, are entered as "defective." Likewise customers may try to save face and say the item is defective and they just want a refund or something else. Usually people don't want to go through multiple returns with the same device, and BestBuy's "extended warranty" service bolt-on's only allow for getting a new different device if an item has been exchanged 3 times for the same reason. Sales reps usually mislead customers into thinking the service plan is a no-fault insurance, when it's not. 

Unless Samsung and Apple want to get statistics from the exact same stores from each chain, this is not a reliable number. The exchange rate for the 30 days after Christmas is likely more "exchange for credit" and less "defective returns" than it is any other time of the year. 

I believe this was a survey conducted on behalf of Samsung where those returning their Tab were asked for the specific reason. That's why only a handful of Best Buy's were involved. It wasn't a compilation of standard BB return forms as I understand it from various other news reports.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

9% exchanged because they thought it was an iPad, but 25% exchanged because they just wanted an iPad instead.

Weird, I can't find anywhere in the article where either one of those things was stated. All I read was that 9% were exchanged for iPads, what that means is anybody's guess. Maybe they were confused and really meant to buy an iPad, maybe they already had iPhones and didn't wanted to be bothered to learn a new OS, maybe they thought it was lacking in some way like apps or features.

post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Anyone who returns a Samsung iPad because it wasn't a real iPad has to be clinically dumb.

I'm not so cynical about people and more understanding that otherwise intelligent people can be misinformed or uninformed, especially about technology. I don't really believe that anyone would buy an item labeled Samsung packed in a box labeled Samsung and then suddenly say, "Hey! This isn't an Apple iPad!!!" However, I can see someone, with little interest in technology and even less knowledge of tech gadgets, being urged by friends and family to get an "Eye-Pad", and thinking that "Eye-Pad" is a generic name for a tablet device. I can see that person looking at a row of tablets and thinking, "Well, there's an Apple 'Eye-Pad' and a Samsung 'Eye-Pad' and they look about the same, and I guess they all work the same, so I'll buy the one that's cheaper."

Remember that unfortunate Apple Genius commercial where the tall guy says, "I basically got a Mac"? Same principle, but without the comic dumbness. Cut people some slack.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Typical of Android folks.  Creating complete garbage.  Can't compete with Apple on quality so make it as cheap as you can and hope that 3 out of 4 people walk away and keep it.

Typical of Apple folks. Talking out their poop chutes.  Do you have any statistics on the number of returns for Samsung tablets versus iPad tablets? You can search these forums and find numerous people stating they returned multiple iPads (and other Apple devices) until they found one that wasn't defective. I suppose that means Apple makes garbage too (and as the former owner of a Mighty Mouse, I can testify that Apple does indeed make some really shit products from time to time).

post #48 of 60
Quote:

Apple doesn't have Jobs around anymore. Sure, Cook can run Apple well. But what's the next new new product line coming out of Apple under Cook? Nothing. So who's doomed?

That's a ridiculous statement on your part. Apple doesn't come out with new product lines every year. It takes them years to do that. The last major one came out in early 2010. It's been less than two and a half years since that. I don't expect something new for another year or so. And as you should know, Apple never telegraphs new product lines more than 6 months in advance. Sometimes three.

But troll away if it makes you happy.
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Typical of Apple folks. Talking out their poop chutes.  Do you have any statistics on the number of returns for Samsung tablets versus iPad tablets? You can search these forums and find numerous people stating they returned multiple iPads (and other Apple devices) until they found one that wasn't defective. I suppose that means Apple makes garbage too (and as the former owner of a Mighty Mouse, I can testify that Apple does indeed make some really shit products from time to time).

I don't remember the percentage of returns for the iPad, but for the 4S it's been about (as these numbers change slightly over time) 1.33%, under industry averages.

Using people complaining on forums is a useless thing to do, as we tend to be much more active than the average user.
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't remember the percentage of returns for the iPad, but for the 4S it's been about (as these numbers change slightly over time) 1.33%, under industry averages.
Using people complaining on forums is a useless thing to do, as we tend to be much more active than the average user.

I remember Apple stating a return rate under 2% for one of it's products at one of the quarterlies, but that was well over a year ago. I missed the 1.33% return on the 4S. Where did you see that one?

post #51 of 60

They definitely had a hard choice to make...

Admit that their device sucks because of hardware malfunctions or admit that they copied the iPad...  Either way paints Samsung as the bad guy and puts the iPad in an even better light.

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Where do you think the stock sold from Apple's Refurbished Store comes from? Everything breaks, especially high tech gadgets that are meant to be held, and used daily.

And how packed are Apple stores with people needing an iDevice fixed?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You might take note of some of the posts here and on other Apple forums regarding how many ipads they returned looking for the perfect screen with the current model. That aside Samsung has enough good engineers to produce something that works properly. If I had any interest in buying one, I would expect it to work properly.

In defense of Samsung, I wouldn't fault the hardware as much as the software. Honeycomb was rushed because manufacturers were making tablets and putting a version of Android that Google specifically said was not good for a tablet. Instead of taking their time to release a polished product they ended up releasing a device that was bound to have a poor user experience.
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I remember Apple stating a return rate under 2% for one of it's products at one of the quarterlies, but that was well over a year ago. I missed the 1.33% return on the 4S. Where did you see that one?

One of the financial sites. I forgot all about it until this thread. It may have been Forbes, but I really don't remember. The number just stuck in my head for some reason.
post #55 of 60
Quote:

One of the financial sites. I forgot all about it until this thread. It may have been Forbes, but I really don't remember. The number just stuck in my head for some reason.

A search for the terms doesn't get a hit (except for a Romney/Obama jobs creation comparison... LOL). Perhaps you might be mistaken in what you think you remember.

If Apple had really mentioned that as a 4S return rate the citations would be somewhat easy to find I would think, grabbed up as a headline-worthy article. Wouldn't you agree?

post #56 of 60

Beware of Stats, I say this all the time.

Notice how they said only 9% were returned in exchange for an ipad, What they are saying is of all the returns the user actually did an exchange at best buy for an ipad. It does not mean the other individuals who return the Tab did not in fact buy an ipad, They just do not have any information what they bought. Also, many times places like Best Buy will say an item is broken to make the return process easier. Best Buy is notorious for this. I work for a place where some of our products are sold through Best Buy and almost 90% of what they claim as defectve actually had no problem, they work as design but Best Buy would list any number of reasons of why the product was defective.

What Samsung should show is of all the returns how many actually has issues, and I suspect it probably petty low, if not they have serious quality issue (which is another issue). If they have a large % being return which still work, it probably a safe best to say those customer most likely bought someone else is product.

post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Beware of Stats, I say this all the time.

Notice how they said only 9% were returned in exchange for an ipad, What they are saying is of all the returns the user actually did an exchange at best buy for an ipad. It does not mean the other individuals who return the Tab did not in fact buy an ipad, They just do not have any information what they bought. Also, many times places like Best Buy will say an item is broken to make the return process easier. Best Buy is notorious for this. I work for a place where some of our products are sold through Best Buy and almost 90% of what they claim as defectve actually had no problem, they work as design but Best Buy would list any number of reasons of why the product was defective.

What Samsung should show is of all the returns how many actually has issues, and I suspect it probably petty low, if not they have serious quality issue (which is another issue). If they have a large % being return which still work, it probably a safe best to say those customer most likely bought someone else is product.

As GatorGuy writes above: "I believe this was a survey conducted on behalf of Samsung where those returning their Tab were asked for the specific reason."

post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A search for the terms doesn't get a hit (except for a Romney/Obama jobs creation comparison... LOL). Perhaps you might be mistaken in what you think you remember.

If Apple had really mentioned that as a 4S return rate the citations would be somewhat easy to find I would think, grabbed up as a headline-worthy article. Wouldn't you agree?

Not really.
post #59 of 60
Quote:

Not really.

Oookay... Let us know when you find a citation for your iPhone 4S 1.33% return rate claim. It sounds newsworthy to me but It would be nice to be able to repeat it with some assurance it's actually true.

post #60 of 60
Quote:

Anyone who returns a Samsung iPad because it wasn't a real iPad has to be clinically dumb.

No, dumb would be to assume everyone who shops at Best Buy has the same level of education regarding tablets.   A parent or grandparent buying a gift for a kid who said they wanted an iPad could walk into a store, see what appears to be EXACTLY what they know to be an iPad, and buy it, only to have the kid make that unhappy face when they open it.  I really don't think my parents were "clinically dumb" when I asked for G.I. Joes as a kid and got Star Wars action figures instead.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › More Galaxy Tabs returned due to malfunction than mistaken identity