or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S

Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S

post #1 of 109
A significant redesign of Apple's iPhone due this September is not only expected to yield a display with with roughly 30 percent more real estate but an overall design that's nearly one fifth thinner than the current iPhone 4S.

Taiwanese Apple rumor site Apple.pro has published scans of an a article that originally ran in the paper edition of the Chinese-language Apple Daily, in which the publication took measurements of one of the many leaked enclosures believed to represent genuine pre-production parts for the so-called iPhone 5.

Measuring 58.47mm wide, 123.83mm long and 7.6mm thick, the enclosure is approximately 18% thinner than the 9.3mm thick iPhone 4S. It's believed that Apple has been able to achieve the reduction via a series of modifications, including:

• an elongation of the design by 8.63mm (~7.5%) to accommodate a 4-inch screen;
  • relocation of the headphone jack to the base of the unit;
  • inclusion of a new nano-SIM tray comprising 40% less space than the current Micro-SIM tray in the iPhone 4S;
  • a more compact MagSafe-style Dock connector with 8 or 9 pins as opposed to the 30-pin Dock connector shipping on current devices; and
  • a general reduction in the size of several internal components due to broader industry advancements.

The changes are expected to deliver the thinnest iPhone yet, though Apple will still fall short of reclaiming the title of the world's thinnest smartphone it achieved with the inaugural iPhone back in 2007. Though the uniformity of several rival smartphones has made pin-pointing the thinnest smartphone a topic of debate, Chinese manufacturer Oppo is currently believed to hold the title with its 6.65mm thick Oppo Finder.

A so-called iPhone 5 shell sitting atop an iPhone 4S | Source: SharpDaily

It should be noted that the dimensions for the new iPhone reported by Apple Daily's aren't entirely new, and instead serve as further support of measurements that originally surfaced in June from a set of apparently leaked Apple schematics.

Leaked schematics believed to represent Apple's next iPhone

Apple is expected to introduce its new iPhone on September 12th during a media event in California.
post #2 of 109

Ugh, I hope not!  Keep the thickness, and give me 50% more battery life!

post #3 of 109

the new iphone looks so badassly radical... i did not think that apple had the balls to do it.. it's like going from an merc class E to a lambo.. oh forget it. it's like going from a class E to a S65AMG... will they put that awesome power efficient and fast 32nm a5 or delay it and go the crazy route of a6 (based on A15) with the new badass graphic chip?

post #4 of 109
I'm loving this design, though much prefer the dark metal band on the rumoured models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I can't argue with the thickness or battery life as the first isn't too thick and the battery could always be better but I would be weight would be the biggest issue with going with a 50% larger battery. I'd argue that it would then be too heavy to be comfortable. (Note: I know you said battery life, not battery size, but without better tech it's currently one and the same.)

From the reduction of so many other components and the change in the front and back paneling it's possible they could have increased the battery capacity a bit. i doubt it's by much if they did, but it still could be possible to get better battery life from even the same size or smaller battery with the new tech. The LTE chip should be (hopefully) using the 28nm lithography and at least be more power efficient than the iPhone 3G on 3G when it arrived in 2008.

PS: I'm most concerned with how Apple will do LTE operating bands for the rest of the world. It's one thing to focus on the US for the iPad but a smartphone is different. While LTE uses the same baseband they do need different HW for different markets (read: countries) for the operating bands. Maybe Qualcomm was able to make them a baseband that allowed for a half-dozen or more operating bands but I doubt it. I'm thinking we'll see LTE iPhones that are now regionalized because of the LTE bands.
Edited by SolipsismX - 8/8/12 at 6:47am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 109

I hope they do get better battery life out of it, at least some kind of a bitter battery in there with LTE it will be an issue.

post #6 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

I hope they do get better battery life out of it, at least some kind of a bitter battery in there with LTE it will be an issue.

That seems guaranteed with these 3rd gen LTE chips. I'll be shocked it they are still using gen 2 tech in this next iPhone.

post #7 of 109

I love the design, but a part of me hopes that this is some kind of controlled leak...

I think the design is a little on the similar side with the iPhone 4/4S. Again, don't take me wrong - I love this unibody design with the supposed aluminum back. 

But I think it should be a little more different than this... there should be a big change every two generations.

Although, a larger screen is a huge improvement, which Apple might consider a big change.

Anyhow, I love the design, but I can't wait to see what Apple reveals on September!

post #8 of 109

Move over Samsung, we have a new winner in the copycat sweepstakes!  OPPO!

post #9 of 109

LOVE the design. And As long as everything works, I'm all in for a thinner phone.

post #10 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That seems guaranteed with these 3rd gen LTE chips. I'll be shocked it they are still using gen 2 tech in this next iPhone.

the delay in the adoption of LTE on the iphone wasn't due to the fact that the new qualcomm chip was much smaller, power efficient and a "world chip"?

post #11 of 109
Quote:

I'm loving this design, though much prefer the dark metal band on the rumoured models.
I can't argue with the thickness or battery life as the first isn't too thick and the battery could always be better but I would be weight would be the biggest issue with going with a 50% larger battery. I'd argue that it would then be too heavy to be comfortable. (Note: I know you said battery life, not battery size, but without better tech it's currently one and the same.)
From the reduction of so many other components and the change in the front and back paneling it's possible they could have increased the battery capacity a bit. i doubt it's by much if they did, but it still could be possible to get better battery life from even the same size or smaller battery with the new tech. The LTE chip should be (hopefully) using the 28nm lithography and at least be more power efficient than the iPhone 3G on 3G when it arrived in 2008.
PS: I'm most concerned with how Apple will do LTE operating bands for the rest of the world. It's one thing to focus on the US for the iPad but a smartphone is different. While LTE uses the same baseband they do need different HW for different markets (read: countries) for the operating bands. Maybe Qualcomm was able to make them a baseband that allowed for a half-dozen or more operating bands but I doubt it. I'm thinking we'll see LTE iPhones that are now regionalized because of the LTE bands.

Remember when Apple was arguing for a software SIM (again to make the phone more interoperable [read: firmware push]).  Maybe qualcomm can do the same (a firmware frequency 'tuner').

as for battery  volume.

Old 4s gross volume= 62642.4 cu. mm

new iPhone gross volume  = 55026.6

net reduction = 7615  (12.2% decrease)

This is significant.  Unless all the other components (including the 'exoskeleton') shrunk by more than 12%, battery space will be smaller.

But in the end, the weight is the most important thing after dimensions.  more battery = heavier.  so here's to chip power consumption efficiency!!!!

post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Remember when Apple was arguing for a software SIM (again to make the phone more interoperable [read: firmware push]).  Maybe qualcomm can do the same (a firmware frequency 'tuner').

as for battery  volume.

This is significant.  Unless all the other components (including the 'exoskeleton') shrunk by more than 12%, battery space will be smaller.

But in the end, the weight is the most important thing after dimensions.  more battery = heavier.  so here's to chip power consumption efficiency!!!!

And that's where the 32nm A5 on the ipad 2 runs the show, right? the a5x is too big and power hungry and it is too soon for the rumoured a6, so that's the only option?

post #13 of 109

Forget "thinner" just for the sake of some advertising campaign proclaiming thinnest. Back in 2007 being the thinnest was a claim due to the bloated nature of everything else on the market that came anywhere close to having a similar feature set. There is a point at which thin is too thin - think Miley Cyrus, Lyndsey Lohan, etc. Focus on "Best" and if that means it is 0.1 mm thicker than some other product so be it. 

post #14 of 109
Quote:

YES!

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #15 of 109

Forget the thin. Give this beast more battery life--or as an alternative offer an EL version that thicker and has a longer useful time.

Apple needs to make their gadgets for people that actually work for a living. Not just those wanting to make silly fashion statements. Thin makes about as much sense as diamond encrusted.

post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Forget "thinner" just for the sake of some advertising campaign proclaiming thinnest. Back in 2007 being the thinnest was a claim due to the bloated nature of everything else on the market that came anywhere close to having a similar feature set. There is a point at which thin is too thin - think Miley Cyrus, Lyndsey Lohan, etc. Focus on "Best" and if that means it is 0.1 mm thicker than some other product so be it. 

...a bit off topic but... Miley cyrus and "Lyndsey" Lohan are NOT to thin... they are the perfect weight... (If you watch TMZ you would have noticed that they are not too thin...)
if anything they look like every (average) teenagers (weight) in the malll...
post #17 of 109
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
…offer an EL version that thicker and has a longer useful time.

What do you think this is, Dell?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #18 of 109
Quote:

I prefer the bright silver and white to the dark metal and black but then that's why they make two versions every year I guess.  :-)

The thing that worries me the most about the next iPhone is really that nano SIM.  There will be a massive changeover from micro to nano SIMS and if we believe the reports probably in less than a months time.  I see almost no indications from the carriers as to what their policy is going to be on SIM exchanges in my country or any other.  I've heard reports of some European carriers "stockpiling" nano SIMs but no clear indication in the USA or Canada that any of the carriers are even thinking about this let alone planning for it.  

On another note, I do think it's a bit juvenile the way this article uses percentages instead of real measurements to make things sound like they are radically different in size when in fact we are really just talking about a millimetre here and there.  In an argument (or an article) about the increase in internal volume, it would make more sense for someone to actually calculate what the difference in internal volumes is between the two models than it would to talk about "40% savings" on the already incredibly tiny SIM tray.  

post #19 of 109

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking Apple products are thin enough already; but Apple seems obsessed with thinning everything. The new 15" MPB with Retina is sweet but it's apparently nearly impossible to repair. I've saved myself (and some friends) thousands of dollars over the years repairing Macs. It used to be easy -- I fear those days are nearly gone.

post #20 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

...a bit off topic but... Miley cyrus and "Lyndsey" Lohan are NOT to thin... they are the perfect weight... (If you watch TMZ you would have noticed that they are not too thin...)
if anything they look like every (average) teenagers (weight) in the malll...

I think Miley Cyrus is way too thin.  On the other hand I think she is a talentless slut who's only claim to fame is being the daughter of a one-hit-wonder Country & Western singer who is similarly talentless.  So on average ... who cares?  

post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

the delay in the adoption of LTE on the iphone wasn't due to the fact that the new qualcomm chip was much smaller, power efficient and a "world chip"?

1) Yeah, that's what I mean by 3rd generation LTE. All previous LTE chips from Qualcomm have been 45nm.

2) World mode only refers to what the baseband can handle in terms of CMDA/CDMA2000 and GSM/3GSM. What the unbefitting term doesn't include is that the baseband is limited to the number of operating bands that can be included on the HW. Now you can shuffle these around at will but you are still limited in the total number per device. While the world is finally moving to a most homogenized network with LTE (and Qualcomm's chips will support China's homegrown LTE variant) the world has also moved to use many, many more operating bands. This will be a logistics issue that Apple doesn't like to deal with when it comes to their HW releases unless TheOtherGeoff's comment (below) comes to fruition.

Quote:

That would be awesome! However, if that comes out for this next iPhone I might hold off on my purchase until it's proven to work well because that is such a radical change in the way we use these devices. It does seem like it should be possible. If it's not, I hope someone can describe why the RF amplified can't use varying frequencies with accuracy.
Quote:
as for battery  volume.

I haven't seen any specs on the rumoured battery. How did you get a 12.2% decrease in the battery size for the new iPhone?

Quote:

And that's where the 32nm A5 on the ipad 2 runs the show, right? the a5x is too big and power hungry and it is too soon for the rumoured a6, so that's the only option?

I'd be surprised if they didn't have 32nm in the next iPhone but I'd wager it's called the A6 and be based off the A15. I'd also wager it's a dual-core chip in both the CPU and GP as it doesn't need the quad-core GPU and the only A15-based on the market I've seen are dual-core.

post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

But I think it should be a little more different than this... there should be a big change every two generations.

Companies that are serious about design do not think this way. Only if function can be improved should design change. Good design is about the way it works, or words to that effect—Steve Jobs.

The first VW Beetle was basically the same from 1939 to sometime in the 90s. The engineers of the company at that time were patient and observant, not style-conscious. They sold more of that car than any other in history.

Edit: And if they make it thinner, it's because it fits the hand better, or goes in and out of pocket better, not because it's a fashion statement.
Edited by Flaneur - 8/8/12 at 7:39am
post #23 of 109

Oh, no! Please! What an ugly lump it's going to become! Did Apple really hired "designer" from scamsung? :(

post #24 of 109
Quote:

Forget the thin. Give this beast more battery life--or as an alternative offer an EL version that thicker and has a longer useful time.

Apple needs to make their gadgets for people that actually work for a living. Not just those wanting to make silly fashion statements. Thin makes about as much sense as diamond encrusted.

Spot on !  Apple has been making those 100's of millions of phones for the unemployed and fashionistas.  Real working people use Blackberries and that is why Rimm is doing so well with their market share.  Fat and with buttons is where its at!

/sarcasm off/

post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think Miley Cyrus is way too thin.  On the other hand I think she is a talentless slut who's only claim to fame is being the daughter of a one-hit-wonder Country & Western singer who is similarly talentless.  So on average ... who cares?  

You could be the next judge on AMerican idol! Loved the succinct and to the point summation. /ROFL

p.s. you missed out 'the daughter of a one-hit-wonder Country & Western singer and really bad actor'
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #26 of 109
Quote:

Couldn't agree more! Enough with the anorexic drive to thin down for the sake of thinness, it's ridiculous! Add more battery capacity or new features instead.

post #27 of 109
Quote:

as for battery  volume.

This is significant. ...

But there is no way to know how much of the interior of the new phone the battery will take up.  

post #28 of 109
18% at these mm levels doesn't warrant press and quite insignificant IMHO. Reminds me of the race of flip phones to shrink down to children-hand levels (see Zoolander). 18% increase in battery life...now that will be worth writing about.
post #29 of 109
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Oh, no! Please! What an ugly lump it's going to become! Did Apple really hired "designer" from scamsung? :(

Looks the same as the last two iPhones. You probably should have complained about the design in 2010.

post #30 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Companies that are serious about design do not think this way. Only if function can be improved should design change. Good design is about the way it works, or words to that effect—Steve Jobs.
The first VW Beetle was basically the same from 1939 to sometime in the 90s. The engineers of the company at that time were patient and observant, not style-conscious. They sold more of that car than any other in history.
Edit: And if they make it thinner, it's because it fits the hand better, or goes in and out of pocket better, not because it's a fashion statement.

Porsche, italian sports car (lambos, a few ferrari models), rolls, MACS, igadgets.

iconic design. only those that phones to show off do not think this way.

apple products are a beauty of engineering and design. iconic stuff. the s3? who cares?

post #31 of 109
Quote:

It is all relative surely! Would you have said that during the days of the Moto Brick! If not then at what point did phones become the perfect thicknesss? Besides what is your criteria for people that work for a living in relation to phone thickness! Seems a pretty abstract concept to me!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #32 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Couldn't agree more! Enough with the anorexic drive to thin down for the sake of thinness, it's ridiculous! Add more battery capacity or new features instead.

If they make it thinner, it will be because it feels better, not for the sake of thinness alone. Ive knows what he's doing in the tactile dimension as much as in the visual. Certainly nothing is done "for its own sake."
post #33 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
The first VW Beetle was basically the same from 1939 to sometime in the 90s. The engineers of the company at that time were patient and observant, not style-conscious. They sold more of that car than any other in history. ...

The Beetles were not always the exact same but they did keep the same basic design right up until the 70's.  Excellent example of a fantastic design for a car that' never been equalled however.  We aren't supposed to mention it but the VW bug is basically the only thing Hitler did that was a good thing (other than shooting himself perhaps).  

It's a perfect example in another way in that VW has tried to "revive" the Beetle twice now by making a car with a similar shape.  The shape of the car however is rather secondary and almost nothing to do with why the Beetle is such a great design.  So the in-house designers at the company that made the original still completely miss the point about why the car was a good design in the first place.  Funny stuff.  

post #34 of 109
Quote:

Process shrink the A5X and I bet the power issue gets handled from that.  If Apple really wants to vault past some people, they should fund the tech for their ARM manufacturers to be able to skip a process shrink.  Like if the route was 40 to 32 to 24 and we were on 40, try to go straight to 24.  Set up exclusivity contracts and have more powerful chips sipping power and be a full year ahead of the competition at least. 

Yes I know it's much harder than just typing out a couple of sentences of the idea, but I'm curious if this is something Apple has considered before.  If they funded a process shrink skip for the CPU, GPU and RAM, it would be massive.  Both in financial cost and in the jump they would get on the industry.  Everyone would be caught flat footed

Another vote for adding more battery tho.

Quote:

It's a perfect example in another way in that VW has tried to "revive" the Beetle twice now by making a car with a similar shape.  The shape of the car however is rather secondary and almost nothing to do with why the Beetle is such a great design.  So the in-house designers at the company that made the original still completely miss the point about why the car was a good design in the first place.  Funny stuff.  

The new ones remind very much of an 80s or early 90s Porsche 911 really.  They look very nice indeed, bit less rounded.

post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero View Post

1) The battery life always either stays the same or increases substantially between models.  

2) The current battery life is the best in the business.  

post #36 of 109
Quote:

** ONE of the best in the business... :)

post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Process shrink the A5X and I bet the power issue gets handled from that.  If Apple really wants to vault past some people, they should fund the tech for their ARM manufacturers to be able to skip a process shrink.  Like if the route was 40 to 32 to 24 and we were on 40, try to go straight to 24.  Set up exclusivity contracts and have more powerful chips sipping power and be a full year ahead of the competition at least. 

Yes I know it's much harder than just typing out a couple of sentences of the idea, but I'm curious if this is something Apple has considered before.  If they funded a process shrink skip for the CPU, GPU and RAM, it would be massive.  Both in financial cost and in the jump they would get on the industry.  Everyone would be caught flat footed

Another vote for adding more battery tho.

The new ones remind very much of an 80s or early 90s Porsche 911 really.  They look very nice indeed, bit less rounded.

I doubt that they see it as a real possibility.

the iphone is a victim of its sucess. what does this mean? samsung (for example) can take the risk and put the latest and greatest on their new phone (the note) because it will "only" sell a few million during the first half of the year. However apple needs something that is tested until saturation point and 100pc dominated tech because they will sell it in the 7digit figure since month one. they cannot risk that much on the pure hardware side. to be innovative while riding on the 2007 sucess they need to "create" features like siri until they think that they gained enough with it and are ready to destroy and recreate the mobile arena again and that's when your theory makes sense. maybe when they reach 300billion revenue per year, 2013 :) (or when they reach 500billion...)  

post #38 of 109
Quote:

No doubt- get 1% thinner so you can say its thinner and cram that sucker with batteries.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #39 of 109
Quote:

1) The battery life always either stays the same or increases substantially between models.  

I am with you.  I give Apple more credit than others.  Seeing as my iPhone last longer than my Droid X ever did, I don't seen any sense complaining.  Apple ALWAYS makes battery life a high priority in all of its products.  My guess though is their primary goal is to maintain current battery rather than drastically improve upon it.

Keep in mind...

The new smaller doc connector creates a bit of room and the device will be slightly taller due to the larger screen.  These two factors probably create enough extra space to cram a decent enough battery in there.  

Also, thinkness rumors are ones that I don't but much stock in.  The rumor mill as back and forth on the thickness of the iPad3 being the same thinkness or slightly thicker- no one really knew.  As we know now, it wound up being slightly thicker.  So Apple has shown they will make a device thicker, if necessary, to satisfy all its design and performance objectives.  I find that encouraging.  I don't think they would make it thinner and sacrifice battery life.  That doesn't fit the strategy we have seen thus far.

post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks the same as the last two iPhones. You probably should have complained about the design in 2010.

Not really. I just reckon how it will look in comparison with my current iPhone 4S. It'll look way too tall and narrow. In one word - UGLY.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S