or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S - Page 3

post #81 of 109

Among those general industry advancements I believe is thinner cover glass thanks to gorilla glass 2 (0.9mm vs 1mm thick cover glass according to early reports) and a thinner overall screen. Either way, I believe the reduction is pretty impressive if they can still manage Apple quality and equal or better battery life to the original iPhone 4 (it is my belief the 4S battery life was slightly inferior).

 

I'm liking this design if it is final or very close to final! Though I personally prefer the headphone jack to be on top, I can get over it.

post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Apple has excellent designs, but they do sacrifice the customers expectations since they put more emphasis on design.

They do have excellent designs, but that extends to their engineering and what they think is important. One of those things is battery life and Apple has been very consistent with keeping the battery as good or better with each revision.
We can even use the iPad (3) as an example of Apple not sacrificing the battery life when it wanted to use a display, backlight and GPU that could handle 4x as many pixels. They did show us that they are willing to add weight and thickness if that is required to keep the battery lasting long enough even though the competition would have made it easy for them to justify a significant drop. I don't to be let down this year.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #83 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

While I would like to agree with you I have to point out one glaring issue.  Most of the phones listed above are 4G LTE phones so they will drain the battery far quicker, if they were on 3G only then the battery tests would be different.  Having owned a fair number of those phones I can say the iPhone 4 and 4S did not get that kind of battery life for me on 3G with good signal (Verizon).

That's the balance Apple has been great at. That's why we haven't seen LTE in the iPhone yet. It was too large, too power inefficient as we can see with phones with larger batteries than the iPhone getting significantly worse longevity. Apple has proven themselves time and time again that I can trust their decision making when it comes to adding the right amount of HW to make the device well balanced for the average user. The Droid RAZR MAXX might be great for those who want to stick it on CDMA and talk non-stop on the phone without ever using it as a smartphone, but that's simply not a practical focus for any smartphone.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #84 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It's hard to see how those SIMs, which come with the device will be a supply issue, but this is a different issue than the Min-SIM to Micro-SIM non-issue with the iPhone 4 back in 2010. Back then the SIM change was still the same thickness (0.76mm) but this new Nano-SIM is (0.67mm) so even if you can trim the plastic again and the contacts line up if your old SIM is too thick to fit you are SOL.
Hmm... I wouldn't use the word juvenile but I would say that it's not very thorough. I'd love for a site to detail all the changes and then compare them.

 

I was meaning that it would be a problem not for new customers but for those moving from an older iPhone to the new one (like me).  And yes, "Juvenile" probably wasn't the best word choice.  

post #85 of 109

Would be nice if the new mini dock connector really is an orientation-independent MagSafe design.  That would be nice.

 

Also, I'm hoping that the touchscreen panel is actually recessed into the metal frame.  Getting tired of the plastic edge on the current front/back glass panels.  That's the first thing I noticed when I picked up my iPhone 4 for the first time: "That's weird.  The edge of the glass feels like plastic."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

1) the 4s battery life is far worse than the 4

2) not even close to other phones

 

Not true.  I realise I was speaking kind of loosely as there are other phones from time to time that due to their specific implementation might beat out the iPhone in battery life, but overall (as is indicated by many posts to this very thread), the iPhone battery has *always* been the best in the market, often by a huge margin and gets slightly better with almost every iteration.   If you had instead replied with:

 

1) the 4s' battery is not quite as good as the 4

2) other phones *sometimes* get better battery life than the iPhone

 

I would have agreed with you because those are pertty much the facts..   

post #87 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

CLAIMED battery life either stays the same or increases.  Actual battery life?  Mine goes down every year.  I've had every new phone, each one for no more than a month after the next came out.

 

Pales in comparison to the Razr Maxx.  Give me an iPhone Maxx.  I'll pay an extra $100 for a battery with twice the capacity, which should only make the phone a tiny bit thicker.

 

Well, I would counter with the fact that Apple's claimed battery life is always much closer to the actual battery life than other manufacturers claims.  If yours is going down year by year you are doing something wrong.  it's more likely that your usage has changed than the battery has become worse year by year. 

 

I find it rare to come across a single person (and I work with a lot of people and their iOS devices daily) who has problems with their battery.  They aren't perfect, but they generally last the day without any problems even without plugging it in all day, which is pretty standard for the industry.  Most office workers will have a dock at work that they plug it into when at their desk also which means the battery will rarely dip below 80% most of the time.  

 

If you are working the oil rigs, or climbing mountains all day long, or out in the woods, or a bike courier or something then I could see it not lasting too long if you are also a heavy user, but otherwise not.  I would look to your usage patterns, not the iPhone. 

post #88 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Not true.  I realise I was speaking kind of loosely as there are other phones from time to time that due to their specific implementation might beat out the iPhone in battery life, but overall (as is indicated by many posts to this very thread), the iPhone battery has *always* been the best in the market, often by a huge margin and gets slightly better with almost every iteration.   If you had instead replied with:

 

1) the 4s' battery is not quite as good as the 4

2) other phones *sometimes* get better battery life than the iPhone

 

I would have agreed with you because those are pertty much the facts..   

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11288_7-290-2.html

Oddly the iPhone4 battery claims are with 3G disabled. No idea why.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #89 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I think there is a more pressing issue that falls under the lesser known diseconomies of scale, even though it's not quite the right term to use. Apple is in the unique position of having a premium product that sells more than the average, inexpensive product. This is great for business but it also means they need to have the latest components in quantity on launch day that far exceeds their rivals which means they need to stock pile a lot farther in advance and at much higher quantity and yet are still likely to launch afterwards due to the volumes needed to meet demand.
This issue is one that isn't easy overcome in a finite world which is one reason I do expect them to vary the brand in ways that can use different components so they can maximize sales if component issues arise.
You're right, other smartphone aren't even close.
1000
1000
The only way the iPhone 4 beats the iPhone 4S is in gaming and that's because the 4S is considerably more powerful in the GPU.
1000

Anandtech has other smartphone battery charts that would appear to be more current as reflected in a recent review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3

Not all that different, but different enough to note.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #90 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11288_7-290-2.html
Oddly the iPhone4 battery claims are with 3G disabled. No idea why.

It depends on what you're testing. If you're testing only talk time* and are testing both GSM-based and CDMA-based devices then it is relevant. The reason is that CDMA-based phones use '2G' for calls regardless of whether they can connect to '3G' or not. '3G' is only used for data. On GSM-based networks if you are on '3G' you are then using '3G' for calls.

The downside of this for the test is 1) people tend don't typically get a smartphone just to do voice calls so the '3G' will most likely be enabled, and 2) the GSM voice quality tend to sound a lot worse than CDMA voice quality for '2G', but '3G' enabled on a GSM-based device is pretty comparable.


* I'd like to see this measure dropped from testing altogether. Even AnandTech has noted that it takes so long now for these voice calls to drain a battery that it's a very needless metric to be verifying.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #91 of 109

I agree with the other people that say Apple should keep the thickness and use the space for a better battery. Electronics companies are more obsessed with thinness than women. It's getting pathetic. 

post #92 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Anandtech has other smartphone battery charts that would appear to be more current as reflected in a recent review.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants/3
Not all that different, but different enough to note.

That's a good link as the first graph lists just how much smaller the iPhone battery capacity is and yet still a top performer.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #93 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

I really hope that you will be right. Fingers crossed. 1wink.gif

See! That's the spirit!

We all have to wait and see.

Usually Apple does always the trick. ;-)
post #94 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Thats exactly what I'm saying.  Nobody is forcing Apple to make their phones with so much less volume.  They are choosing to do it that way, at the expense of battery life.  And it makes me, and a lot of other people, miserable.

 

Of course, other than 4G tests where Apple does not have a radio to be included, the only 2 tests the Maxx won was talk time and 3G web browsing.  The 4S topped it in the rest.  Given the number of people who barely talk on their smartphones (which is hilarious to me), I think Apple can cede that loss and be happy winning almost every other benchmark.

post #95 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I think Miley Cyrus is way too thin.  On the other hand I think she is a talentless slut who's only claim to fame is being the daughter of a one-hit-wonder Country & Western singer who is similarly talentless.  So on average ... who cares?  

So you're saying that Samscum won't be copying her any time soon?

post #96 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


That's a good link as the first graph lists just how much smaller the iPhone battery capacity is and yet still a top performer.
1000

 

You make a good point. Apple has optimized their hardware and software to consume less power then most (if not all) of their competitors. This is why the usual HW specs no longer are as relevant as they would be on a desktop computer. 

 

By the time the Windows 8 phone hits the market with it's slot around the edge so the internal fans can kick out the hot air, the iPhone will be headed into their 6th power-sipping iteration...

post #97 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Well, I would counter with the fact that Apple's claimed battery life is always much closer to the actual battery life than other manufacturers claims.  If yours is going down year by year you are doing something wrong.  it's more likely that your usage has changed than the battery has become worse year by year. 

 

I find it rare to come across a single person (and I work with a lot of people and their iOS devices daily) who has problems with their battery.  They aren't perfect, but they generally last the day without any problems even without plugging it in all day, which is pretty standard for the industry.  Most office workers will have a dock at work that they plug it into when at their desk also which means the battery will rarely dip below 80% most of the time.  

 

If you are working the oil rigs, or climbing mountains all day long, or out in the woods, or a bike courier or something then I could see it not lasting too long if you are also a heavy user, but otherwise not.  I would look to your usage patterns, not the iPhone. 

Again, I'm not interested in comparing to other phones.  I just want Apple to make the design decision that thinner at all costs is not costless, and to add just TINY fraction, just another 25% more battery, say, which shouldn't require more than, say 1 tiny mm if thickness.  Especially if they are making the phone, already thin enough for me and I would be, for most people, MORE THAN 1 mm thinner this time around.  Just keep the same thickness and let us REALLY brag about battery life.

 

Or somehow fix the fact that Exchange seems to be the killer for the battery.

post #98 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

18% at these mm levels doesn't warrant press and quite insignificant IMHO. Reminds me of the race of flip phones to shrink down to children-hand levels (see Zoolander). 18% increase in battery life...now that will be worth writing about.

Yeah, such a phone might even sell well....ᵢ

post #99 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

 

Of course, other than 4G tests where Apple does not have a radio to be included, the only 2 tests the Maxx won was talk time and 3G web browsing.  The 4S topped it in the rest.  Given the number of people who barely talk on their smartphones (which is hilarious to me), I think Apple can cede that loss and be happy winning almost every other benchmark.

They may be happy, but I'm not.  Apple can double the size of the battery in their phone and still have it be tiny in comparison to the competition, and make their users even happier.... you can see there are quite a number of posters on this thread who would love to have the better battery.  I don't want a battery case because the added size is SO much more than it would be to simply have a MAXX version of the iPhone itself.  It doesn't have to be a high volume item.  But it should be simple enough to do, make a hundred thousand with a larger battery and see what happens.  I'd JUMP on it.

post #100 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Again, I'm not interested in comparing to other phones.  I just want Apple to make the design decision that thinner at all costs is not costless, and to add just TINY fraction, just another 25% more battery, say, which shouldn't require more than, say 1 tiny mm if thickness.  Especially if they are making the phone, already thin enough for me and I would be, for most people, MORE THAN 1 mm thinner this time around.  Just keep the same thickness and let us REALLY brag about battery life.

 

Or somehow fix the fact that Exchange seems to be the killer for the battery.

 

Well, now your changing the grounds on which we were debating, so I've kind of lost interest.  I would point out however, that 1mm of extra thickness on the battery wouldn't add up to 25% in any case.  

 

Odds are the battery in the new iPhone will be either just as efficient what's in the current iPhone (typically/habitually the leading/best battery in the business), or it will be better.  

 

I just don't see what you are complaining about.  

 

Apple's battery is always the best or near best in the industry and gets better every year.  Next year's iPhone will be the same in that the battery life will either be the same or better. Asking them to make it super-duper, "extra best" (just for you!), and to the detriment of other features/aspects of the device just doesn't make any sense to me as a request.  

post #101 of 109

I'd like it to be thinner but more importantly it would have to be smaller in length and width. The iPhone now is too hugh now as a phone. I can't understand how Samsung is getting away with such a behemoth as the Galaxy. I realize people also see as a PDA and as such needs to be larger for apps but for people who want just a phone will be forced to stay with a small flip feature phone. The iPhone now looks like I have a boner when it's in my pants pocket.

post #102 of 109
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post
The iPhone now looks like I have a boner when it's in my pants pocket.

 

Maybe don't put it in your pocket horizontally, then? Or cut the skin-tight spandex out of your wardrobe? lol.gif

 

1000

"Is that an iPhone in your pocket, or are you just wearing a zentai suit?"

 

But seriously, my first-gen is thicker than any modern iPhone and it doesn't even show up at all in my pocket. My LG VX5300 does, though.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #103 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Well, now your changing the grounds on which we were debating, so I've kind of lost interest.  I would point out however, that 1mm of extra thickness on the battery wouldn't add up to 25% in any case.  

 

Odds are the battery in the new iPhone will be either just as efficient what's in the current iPhone (typically/habitually the leading/best battery in the business), or it will be better.  

 

I just don't see what you are complaining about.  

 

Apple's battery is always the best or near best in the industry and gets better every year.  Next year's iPhone will be the same in that the battery life will either be the same or better. Asking them to make it super-duper, "extra best" (just for you!), and to the detriment of other features/aspects of the device just doesn't make any sense to me as a request.  

 

 

From the very beginning, my complaint is that my iPhone battery life is not good enough.  I'm sorry you joined in mid-stream, but that's what I was talking about all thread.

 

Why do you think 1mm in extra thickness, TOTALLY DEVOTED TO BATTERY, wouldn't give 25% more life?  Have you done the math?  It's not a straight proportional thing - adding 1 mm to the total thickness of the phone would add far more than (1mm/9mm)% to the total battery size, because the phone is not currently totally made of battery, so adding some size to the phone that IS totally battery would have an outsized result on the battery itself.

 

I am complaining about THE FACT THAT MY PHONE DIES AT ABOUT 5 PM EVEN THOUGH I USE IT LESS THAN I WOULD LIKE TO ALL DAY.  Is that clear enough?  I don't CARE how that compares to other phones.  I want a phone that doesn't die on me before the sun goes down.  And I sleep until 830 AM!  When I hear that they are making the phone THINNER instead of adding battery life, that upsets me.  Does that make sense to you?  Do you really need a phone that.s 1.5mm thinner?  Wouldn't notice, would you?  Well I'd notice if that 1.5mm was spent on battery, and a lot of other people are just like me.

 

You can read through this thread and find plenty of other people who want more battery life "just for them".  That makes it not "just for us" but for everyone.  So go screw.

post #104 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

 

It still has uber-huge bezels at the top and the bottom. Even the older case could fit 4.5" screen needless to say about the new one which could fit 5" easily. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The changes are expected to deliver the thinnest iPhone yet, though Apple will still fall short of reclaiming the title of the world's thinnest smartphone it achieved with the inaugural iPhone back in 2007. Though the uniformity of several rival smartphones has made pin-pointing the thinnest smartphone a topic of debate, Chinese manufacturer Oppo is currently believed to hold the title with its 6.65mm thick Oppo Finder.

 

Oppo's 6.65mm claim is BS. I am not sure but visually I think it is at least 1mm or more in its thickest camera point:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/26/oppo-super-skinny-finder-smartphone-gets-many-more-details/

post #105 of 109

That phone in the Corning Glass youtube vid looks interesting.

 

700

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #106 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

That phone in the Corning Glass youtube vid looks interesting.

 

700

 

That's how iPhone-5 would have looked like if Apple managed to fit a screen of the same dimensions as the center back panel :(

post #107 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

That phone in the Corning Glass youtube vid looks interesting.

 

700

Yeah, really intersting how the right side of the display extrudes the divice's case. ;-)

 

But yes I see what you mean. I thought this display without a frame would be possible some day.

post #108 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

I love the design, but a part of me hopes that this is some kind of controlled leak...

 

I think the design is a little on the similar side with the iPhone 4/4S. Again, don't take me wrong - I love this unibody design with the supposed aluminum back. 

But I think it should be a little more different than this... there should be a big change every two generations.

Although, a larger screen is a huge improvement, which Apple might consider a big change.

 

Anyhow, I love the design, but I can't wait to see what Apple reveals on September!

Oh great. Change for the sake of change. A wonderful strategy that has sunk countless American companies. 

post #109 of 109
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
That's how the 6th iPhone would have looked like if Apple managed to fit a screen of the same dimensions as the center back panel :(

 

Except that's physically impossible first and a terrible idea second.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iPhone expected to be 18% thinner than iPhone 4S