or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Upcoming iOS 6 Passbook app showcased in real-world simulation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upcoming iOS 6 Passbook app showcased in real-world simulation

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
In a YouTube video released over the weekend, a mobile app services company simulated a real world shopping experience with Passbook, intended to demonstrate the upcoming app's capabilities.

Enterprise mobile strategy and app services company iOptimal employed its "Passbook App Prototyper" to create a proprietary piece of software that interfaces with Passbook, allowing the demonstrator to generate and redeem coupons. While the video basically serves as an advertisement of the company's app-building software, it also gives a peek at what real-world Passbook usage will look like.

It should be noted that Passbook operation is shown via an iOS simulator, not on the device itself.

In the video, a map-based app is used to find the nearest coupons available, in this case a $2 pizza and a half-price book discount, which are added to Passbook for later consumption. The "customer" visited the pizza parlor and redeemed the coupon by bumping iPhones, with the operation being simulated on a Mac.

Creating custom coupons and special events like a book signing were also covered in the short video.



While much of the information is rehashed from Apple's own announcement, the video is one of the first to demonstrate how merchants and customers might interact with Passbook when iOS 6 rolls out later this fall.

Passport iOS 6


Rumors have swirled regarding Passbook and what it means for iOS in regard to mobile payments. In its current form, the app is not linked to credit cards or bank accounts and merely serves as a way to organize digital coupons. The closest Passbook comes to actually carrying digital currency is support for gift cards.

In July, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Passbook was a "key" feature to iOS 6 but declined to detail the company's future plans for the app.
post #2 of 37

This video is actually lame.

post #3 of 37

Good luck getting their future apps approved, given that they've just violated their NDA.

post #4 of 37

I wonder if Applecare covers damage from bumping my iPhone like that lol

post #5 of 37

This app could be great for airport boarding passes, movie tickets, Starbucks, etc., but I'm not sure how much interest there is in a Groupon-junked map.

post #6 of 37
Great app but honestly i did not like the idea of bumping phones... NFC will better 1smile.gif
post #7 of 37
how much personal information did he have to give up to his kids to get that 50% discount on the $10,000,000 book?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #8 of 37

I'm so disillusioned by T-Mobile and the iPhone that the screenshot at the bottom doesn't even get a rise out of me any more.

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck getting their future apps approved, given that they've just violated their NDA.

@Tallest

 

If you are right, then we screwed up.  We looked at the NDA and what Apple had already shown, in terms of their screen shots and so on, and finally what other people had already posted on youtube demos, and felt that what we included in the video wasn't violating anything (except our own video making reputations, which are pretty much already nonexistent :)

 

We'll try to find somebody at Apple, and if this is a violation then we'll take it down.  Bummer.  We were just hoping to have fun...

 

- iOptimal 

post #10 of 37
Originally Posted by iOptimal View Post
If you are right, then we screwed up.  We looked at the NDA and what Apple had already shown, in terms of their screen shots and so on, and finally what other people had already posted on youtube demos, and felt that what we included in the video wasn't violating anything…

 

Thing is, the "YouTube demos" don't count, as that's just teenagers breaking all the rules. If you've not shown anything that just Apple hasn't yet, then it's perfectly fine what you've done, but I'd be more careful about showing anything from prerelease software in the future.

post #11 of 37
I'm glad to see that is keeping busy since that Werther's Original gig has ended.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #12 of 37
I think this does have a possibility of going big. It would also cut down on environmental waste. Imagine if you could just sign up for stores,like popular ones perhaps, and they could just push this weeks coupons out to your phone. You always carry it with you anyway.

I really think it could turn out as a huge positive depending on how many main stream companies give out or 'push' out coupons to users. Don't want it. Shred it!
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thing is, the "YouTube demos" don't count, as that's just teenagers breaking all the rules. If you've not shown anything that just Apple hasn't yet, then it's perfectly fine what you've done, but I'd be more careful about showing anything from prerelease software in the future.

... cuz not only is tallest an appleinsider.com global moderator (who ostensibly is therefore allowed to denigrate other ai users and post all the "noise" he wants to article threads), he's also an expert on the apple nda.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #14 of 37
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
... cuz not only is tallest an appleinsider.com global moderator (who ostensibly is therefore allowed to denigrate other ai users and post all the "noise" he wants to article threads), he's also an expert on the apple nda.

 

And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

 

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

post #15 of 37

I was nothing until CorpCo™ assimilated me.

 
post #16 of 37

If only Passbook accepted Credit cards or Debit cards.

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElmore49 View Post

I'm so disillusioned by T-Mobile and the iPhone that the screenshot at the bottom doesn't even get a rise out of me any more.

 

 

My iPhone happily says T-Mobile as well. More importantly, my wallet says T-Mobile. 

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

I think he was saying, in a rather round about way, that a large portion of your posts are short, trite, contrary posts directed at A.I. posters. Very highbrow remarks that don't usually help people to learn your point of view.

Of course if you do have a higher understanding of the topics you post against, it would be awesome if you could enlighten us.

Personally I think the add is cool, and at least this gentleman is doing something with his developer account. I've come to the conclusion that most "developers" are not developers at all. Just people looking to get an early peek at new software.

So hurray to this guy who is working to forward progress of iOS 6!

Also it seemed like everything Apple always pushes. Family using their products with their kids. That's also something you don't see much of anymore...
post #19 of 37

I don't see how they violated their NDA, they didn't show off anything that Apple hasn't and their are promoting an app ecosystem to which Passport can work with.  I personally don't bother with Groupon or Living Social ads, they just don't offer anything I want.  iOptimal's idea though would be of interest to me as a consumer, walking in the mall, out in town looking to get  a bite to eat.  What about people who are new in town or on vacation this is a great marketing tool and will drive business and it would seem the costs should not be too high.

post #20 of 37
I feel like a lot of the passbook apps and functions will only be available in the USA. Many apps use location services which are severely lacking in other countries that have the iPhone. If they can make the system more universal, I will be much happier 1smile.gif
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

I think he was saying, in a rather round about way, that a large portion of your posts are short, trite, contrary posts directed at A.I. posters. Very highbrow remarks that don't usually help people to learn your point of view.

Of course if you do have a higher understanding of the topics you post against, it would be awesome if you could enlighten us.

Personally I think the add is cool, and at least this gentleman is doing something with his developer account. I've come to the conclusion that most "developers" are not developers at all. Just people looking to get an early peek at new software.

So hurray to this guy who is working to forward progress of iOS 6!

Also it seemed like everything Apple always pushes. Family using their products with their kids. That's also something you don't see much of anymore...

 

Very, very well said. I agree!!!

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

 

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

 

The point is, you stated it as a FACT that he violated his NDA, when the truth is you don't actually know if he did or not, and what specifics the NDA involves. Neither does the poster you replied to. So why would you automatically attack him for NDA violation, as well as his chances for future app approval, if you don't have all the facts and are just making shit up? You're accusing the poster of not knowing for sure if you're right or wrong, but neither do you, and you're the one who made a serious accusation about NDA violation. 


Edited by Slurpy - 8/9/12 at 8:56am
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Apple CEO Tim Cook said Passbook was a "key" feature to iOS 6 but declined to detail the company's future plans for the app.

 

Us: "So Tim, what does Passbook do?"

 

Tim Cook: "It lets you store digital coupons."

 

Us: "What kind of digital coupons?"

 

Tim Cook: "ANY kind of digital coupon!"

 

Us: "Can you give us an example?"

 

Tim Cook: "Nope, because nobody's actually thought one up yet. In fact, the software isn't even OUT yet."

 

Us: "So why should we care?"

 

Tim Cook: "You should care about Passbook because it's KEY to our future plans!"

 

Us: "What future plans?"

 

Tim Cook: "None of your business."

 

Us: "So, you're saying that a key benefit of iOS6 is Passbook, which doesn't really do anything at the moment but someday might do something but what that something might be is a secret?"

 

Tim Cook: "No, I'm saying that iOS6 includes all-new opportunities for growth leveraged by our efforting development of platforms for user experience enhancement paradigms."

 

Me (Walking away from the sickening stream of pointless speculation about vapourware): "Call me when you have an actual product to announce."

post #24 of 37
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
{Abbot and Cookstello routine}

 

While humorous, you can see exactly what Passbook can be used for and how it can be used by getting the prerelease software right now… And building your own cards. There's a website that lets you do just that right now (I forget the URL; can someone remind me?)!

post #25 of 37

I'm suspecting Timbo's keeping schtum because if he actually said HOW key passbook is, and exactly how it's going to fit in, he'd be giving too much away about iPhone 5's hardware. What it screams out to me is that NFC will play some part, as Passbook seems to be tailor made for it. 

 

Given Google's push with Wallet I think Apple realises that it needs a toe hold in that space somehow. Passbook looks likle it.  It looks like the September event to launch the new phone and  the release of 6 is likely to include at least one passbook demo from someone. I wonder who it will be...
 

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...] Cookstello

 

 

Nice! lol.gif

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Us: "So Tim, what does Passbook do?"

 

Tim Cook: "It lets you store digital coupons."

 

Us: "What kind of digital coupons?"

 

Tim Cook: "ANY kind of digital coupon!"

 

Us: "Can you give us an example?"

 

Tim Cook: "Nope, because nobody's actually thought one up yet. In fact, the software isn't even OUT yet."

 

Us: "So why should we care?"

 

Tim Cook: "You should care about Passbook because it's KEY to our future plans!"

 

Us: "What future plans?"

 

Tim Cook: "None of your business."

 

Us: "So, you're saying that a key benefit of iOS6 is Passbook, which doesn't really do anything at the moment but someday might do something but what that something might be is a secret?"

 

Tim Cook: "No, I'm saying that iOS6 includes all-new opportunities for growth leveraged by our efforting development of platforms for user experience enhancement paradigms."

 

Me (Walking away from the sickening stream of pointless speculation about vapourware): "Call me when you have an actual product to announce."


It is an actual product. It just hasn't taken off yet. Have a little faith. Everything starts somewhere. Who knows? This might just be another blockbuster feature.. If it proves to be a flop, then we can laugh at it later

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

I think he was saying, in a rather round about way, that a large portion of your posts are short, trite, contrary posts directed at A.I. posters. Very highbrow remarks that don't usually help people to learn your point of view.

Of course if you do have a higher understanding of the topics you post against, it would be awesome if you could enlighten us.


+1.   I think a review of my comments over the years would show me to be generally pro-Apple -- not a fanboy, but not a troll by any stretch.  It's in that context that I say that when I see the 1st or 2nd rejoinder from Tallest, I just stop reading the comments.  I'm tired of the bitterness and snaps.  There used to be a lot of jokes and chuckles on AI; now it's all spite.

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post


It is an actual product.

 

Right. It's just an actual product that doesn't actually *DO* anything! What makes it hilarious is Tim insisting that it's very important but refusing to say WHY!

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Have a little faith.

 

Not a chance. I learned a long time ago not to put my money on vapourware. If it turns into something that does something worth caring about, I'll jump on the bandwagon then. Excitement over undefined "potential" leads to outcomes like the dotcom bust.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

If it proves to be a flop, then we can laugh at it later

 

Oh, we don't have to wait until then. We can laugh now at the absolute absurdity of Timmy's comments! The jury may still be out on whether or not the product will turn into anything great, but we have a verdict on the charge of SillyTalk. Apple is guilty of Goofy.

post #30 of 37
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
What makes it hilarious is Tim insisting that it's very important but refusing to say WHY!

 

Maybe he wants intellectual property protected. Apple does that from time to time.

 

Not a chance. I learned a long time ago not to put my money on vapourware. If it turns into something that does something worth caring about, I'll jump on the bandwagon then.

 

Samsung's looking to hire, I hear.

 

Oh, we don't have to wait until then. We can laugh now at the absolute absurdity of Timmy's comments! The jury may still be out on whether or not the product will turn into anything great, but we have a verdict on the charge of SillyTalk. Apple is guilty of Goofy.

 

Or you're just spewing absolute nonsense because you refuse to take the initiative to think for yourself about what this product could do.

post #31 of 37

<*Sigh*> I know sitting way up there on your high horse makes you feel superior, but you really need to come down to where the air is better. The lack of oxygen to your brain is affecting your ability to perform basic reasoning. To whit:

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe he wants intellectual property protected. Apple does that from time to time.

 

Shrewd. No one can copy what you never reveal. Of course no one can buy it either, but that's the price of security, right?

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or you're just spewing absolute nonsense because you refuse to take the initiative to think for yourself about what this product could do.

 

Do you even read what you type? I ask because much of what's appearing under your moniker these days looks like it was written by someone lacking basic language comprehension and reasoning skills. You know, like a cognitively impaired milking stool or slightly stupider version of Charlie Gordon. Since there's just no way a functioning adult human of typical intelligence could POSSIBLY mean what that sentence says, I gotta assume either you mis-wrote or you've suffered a debilitating brain aneurism. Click "Help" three times if you need medical attention.

 

Are you honestly suggesting that it's "nonsense" to not make up my own imaginary vision of what this secret key might be? Holy crap dude, put down the kool-aid. Seriously.

post #32 of 37
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Shrewd. No one can copy what you never reveal. Of course no one can buy it either, but that's the price of security, right?

 

… It's not out yet. You don't have any reason to know about it unless you're making something that specifically uses it. If you want to do something with it, pay the hundred and get the iOS 6 beta.

 

Are you honestly suggesting that it's "nonsense" to not make up my own imaginary vision of what this secret key might be? Holy crap dude, put down the kool-aid. Seriously.

 

I started reading the paragraph before this before I realized it was just nothing but insults. Don't do that. It's one of the few things we expressly don't allow.

 

And yeah, I can certainly suggest that it's nonsense. I fail to see how you can think something is bad without imagining how it could be good. All you did was mock Tim Cook; you're on the fast track to irrelevance.

post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

While humorous, you can see exactly what Passbook can be used for and how it can be used by getting the prerelease software right now… And building your own cards. There's a website that lets you do just that right now (I forget the URL; can someone remind me?)!

Passsource.com

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #34 of 37
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post
Passsource.com

 

Indeed, thank you. They've certainly made it look better than I remember it. Passbook will make for some gorgeous stuff, won't it… 

post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Indeed, thank you. They've certainly made it look better than I remember it. Passbook will make for some gorgeous stuff, won't it… 

Yeah, I already used it for my Starbucks card because the Starbucks app is terrible. Funny, the 4 year old Starbucks app is worse than the prerelease Apple software...

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #36 of 37

Yep, timbit is right. If you're in the US passbook's ultimately helpful, yeah, but if you travel abroad, particularly in Southeast Asian countries, I don't think it'll be much of a help. It's way better if I could use this when traveling as the discount coupons are very big help especially on a tight-budget backpacker like me, haha!

post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

This app could be great for airport boarding passes, movie tickets, Starbucks, etc., but I'm not sure how much interest there is in a Groupon-junked map.


I just wonder at the utility of the boarding pass bit. When I fly US Air or Delta (the other carriers are likely the same) and I check in online, the carrier emails me a boarding pass with a barcode. Then when I get to the airport, call up my email, waive my 4S under a scanner at their kiosk and it spits out my paper boarding passes.

 

Last time I did it I was next to a guy at the kiosk using his credit card to retrieve his boarding passes. He eyed me and said "I've tried that and it never works for me." ..as I waived my 4S under the scanner. ZAP! Out came the boarding passes for the 2 legs of my trip.

 

"So what are you using?" I snickered, turning to walk over to the security checkpoint. "A Razr or a Galaxy?"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Upcoming iOS 6 Passbook app showcased in real-world simulation