or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads

Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads

post #1 of 158
Samsung struggled to market its Galaxy Tab as distinct from the iPad, noting in internal documents that over half of viewers seeing its TV commercials assumed the ad related to Apple's iconic iPad.

Only 16 percent of viewers observing Samsung's TV commercials realized it was a Samsung product, according to an internal report the company commissioned, and which has been submitted as evidence in its trial with Apple.

"Given Apple's already strong position in the tablet category," Samsung's report stated, "it is critical that attribution of [Galaxy] Tab communications improve and that communication works to differentiate Tab from iPad."

The report also highlighted that "only 11 percent of customers are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can like the iPad back to Apple."

Samsung's survey also noted that primary reason consumers were reporting for why they weren't considering the Galaxy Tab was "lack of awareness of the product," and noted that "TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution."

Piggybacking on Apple's ads

Apple's top marketing executive Phil Schiller had earlier noted in his trial testimony the difficulty in reaching customers with memorable messages in TV and billboard advertising because of the limited attention devoted to advertising and brief appearance marketing has to make an impression.

"Customers only get a glimpse of the product," Schiller noted, explaining that Apple had spent $149.5 million marketing the iPad in 2010 alone.

"The advertisement has to give you a sense of how it might work, and what it might do for you before you have a chance to head to the store and try it yourself," Schiller said. The ads ?create a reason that you might want a tablet in your life."

Schiller noted ?now when someone comes up with a product that copies that design and copies that marketing, then customers can get confused on whose product is whose," describing such copying as "stealing all the value we?ve created.?
post #2 of 158

"No, these numbers are lies. This didn't happen. I don't care what Samsung themselves are saying; they're lying. No one over two years old could ever possibly confuse a Samsung tablet with an iPad."

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 158
Amazing. The longer this goes on the more it shows that Samsung intentionally copied aspects of Apple products to sell their products. Add that to the destruction of documents and damning testimony of one of their own..........

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #4 of 158

Now, did I get this right? Samscum makes an identical looking product and then advertises it is a similar way to Apple, and then complains that people can't tell the difference?

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #5 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...while 65% of consumers are aware and can link the iPad back to Apple."

Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?

post #6 of 158

Well there's the other side of the coin Samsung. If your products look 99% like your competitor's, you're indirectly promoting your competitors product. Good jerb! ;)

post #7 of 158

eh? This sounds a bit crazy..  So after $1.1+ billion in marketing between 2008-2010, 35%, or 1/3, of consumers still can't link it back to Apple? 

post #8 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?

Retirement homes.

post #9 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"No, these numbers are lies. This didn't happen. I don't care what Samsung themselves are saying; they're lying. No one over two years old could ever possibly confuse a Samsung tablet with an iPad."

I never really saw it your way until now!  Since "half" of viewers "assumed" it was "related" to the iPad.. that probably means they turned off/away and missed the part where Samsung's name is on the ad.  They then proceeded to march down the local best buy and pick up a Samsung tablet.  They probably missed the fact that it was the wrong brand and wrong name because they picked from a floor display and didn't care to turn it on or look at the back of it.  Nevermind the wrong branding on the box or the product itself.  You can't expect a human being to really pay attention to things like colors, sizes and words.  This is the nail in coffin for Samsung.. for sure.

post #10 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

eh? This sounds a bit crazy..  So after $1.1+ billion in marketing between 2008-2010, 35%, or 1/3, of consumers still can't link it back to Apple? 

Remember 50% of the population have an IQ <100. It's pretty good that the number is not worse!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #11 of 158

I was telling someone about how I use the Square app and dongle to accept payments and she said "oh good, I have an iPhone", which she pulled out of her purse.

"Uh, no" I said "You have a Android phone"

She made a confused face.

"but that's fine" I said "They have an Android app too"

then she made a happy face.

another story: daughter in law can't wait to show us the new iPad she found for $299

"That's not an iPad"

her: "oh, well I can use it for email and stuff right?"

I expect this happens a lot as iPhone and iPad become generic terms like Kleenex.

these people are real, they are out there, they vote too, drive cars, have jobs.

post #12 of 158

Isn't that a good thing?  To have Samsung run ads for Apple?  Saves some marketing dollars lol.gif

post #13 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Not everyone is into technology as we are.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #14 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Now, did I get this right? Samscum makes an identical looking product and then advertises it is a similar way to Apple, and then complains that people can't tell the difference?

That's about it.

post #15 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

I was telling someone about how I use the Square app and dongle to accept payments and she said "oh good, I have an iPhone", which she pulled out of her purse.

another story: daughter in law can't wait to show us the new iPad she found for $299
"That's not an iPad"

I expect this happens a lot as iPhone and iPad become generic terms like Kleenex.

these people are real, they are out there, they vote too, drive cars, have jobs.

And some of them work for Samsung's legal team.

This trial is looking more and more like a farce. Samsung really has no choice but to settle - almost no matter what Apple demands.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 158
Quote:

"That's not an iPad"

So did Samsung willfully try to confuse the market, or is the market just dumb?  Maybe both?

post #17 of 158
Quote:

these people are real, they are out there, they vote too...

ha yep, and that's the downfall of democracy!

post #18 of 158
Quote:

I would venture to guess that most of those people think Apple invented the tablet, and even if the Tab 10.1 looked much different from the iPad they'd still associate it to Apple.
post #19 of 158

I'm not surprised. Every time I see that Nexus 7 ad I think I'm looking at an iPad...

post #20 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report also highlighted that "only 11 percent of customers are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can like the iPad back to Apple."

how facebook of you. at least you didn't say "lick the ipad back to apple". yet.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #21 of 158
Samsung lawyers object to this evidence on the grounds that Samsung has a strong pro-Apple bias.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

I'm not surprised. Every time I see that Nexus 7 ad I think I'm looking at an iPad...

Me too. And I'm not kidding. It's only until you realize that Apple ads are usually done against white backdrops that you realize that this ad probably isn't selling the real iPad.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I would venture to guess that most of those people think Apple invented the tablet, and even if the Tab 10.1 looked much different from the iPad they'd still associate it to Apple.

In a manner of speaking, that is true. Apple reinvented the tablet, twice.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

"That's not an iPad"

And some of them work for Samsung's legal team.

This trial is looking more and more like a farce. Samsung really has no choice but to settle - almost no matter what Apple demands.

There was a rumor repeated on CNBC that Samsung might want to acquire RIMM.  Maybe they are preparing to switch to plan B.

post #25 of 158
Quote:

"That's not an iPad"

I see this a lot too. iPad is the new Walkman.

post #26 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Me too. And I'm not kidding. It's only until you realize that Apple ads are usually done against white backdrops that you realize that this ad probably isn't selling the real iPad.

You guys talking about the Camping one? Hmm... I wouldn't quite say it looked too much Apple Ad. It was definitely in the style of those "our lovable product will make you a better person" genre.

I noticed it was a different ratio/ device size ( and they make a point of it that you can easily carry it in one hand )  so that kind of clued me in, but I'm techy I suppose.

It was cute I suppose.

if anything, though,  that Ad should be called out for being seriously misleading that you can do all that stuff while out camping.

It's no coincidence that they turn out to be camping in the back yard at the end... since the Nexus 7 doesn't have 3G so about half of those features had to be done via wireless.

( with no fine print in the ad IIRC )

I suppose he could have used a MiFi adapter, but some fine print would be in order if you ask me. 

post #27 of 158
Quote:
Only 16 percent of viewers observing Samsung's TV commercials realized it was a Samsung product,

And of those, 50% of them post on AppleInsider with 100% of those Galaxy Tab purchases being made by one AppleInsider poster.
Edited by SolipsismX - 8/8/12 at 3:55pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #28 of 158

Apple has saturated so much of the market and influenced public opinion and branding of the iPad product, that I can't see anyone now who would want to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab (or any Android tablet) over an iPad, if you are in the market for a tablet. There is nothing that can match it, from the user experience to the vast wealth of apps available in the ecosystem...the iPad is the "to have" tablet. I can see how people are easily mixing these up in commercials, for many the iPad is the *only* tablet some are familar with, so for a 9.7" black tablet, it must "automatically" be an iPad....

post #29 of 158

I am far more likely to belive 89% of people surveyed were stupid enough not to understand there is a difference between the Galaxy Tab and an IPad.  You can't blame Samsung for stupid people who can't read a label.

post #30 of 158
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
And of those, 50% of them post on AppleInsider…

You're lowballing. lol.gif

And is this REALLY what Samsung trolls' argument has devolved into? "These people are too stupid to read a label?"

It'd be nice to put a moratorium on all talk that could even be construed as slightly pro-Samsung, at least until the trial's over. At least after that we could get down to actual discussion about actual beliefs that real people might possibly have when they're not on twelve different types of drugs at once. But that's just wishful thinking. 

post #31 of 158
Quote:

Here's the interesting part: those of us who voiced our concerns and objections about Samsung long before this ever started, and who portended Samsung's eventual exposure for the liars and cheats they are, were called every name in the book by the usual gang of trolls. 

post #32 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bishop View Post

I am far more likely to belive 89% of people surveyed were stupid enough not to understand there is a difference between the Galaxy Tab and an IPad.  You can't blame Samsung for stupid people who can't read a label.

It isn't that. Not everyone is good with tech. There are a lot of professionals out there who have *others* do this sort of work *for* them, because they don't have the time to do research on all this on their own. They aren't stupid, just busy with work that doesn't require that they know an Intel from an AMD, etc. And consequently, they make honest mistakes when it comes to tech. Even when things are labeled.

post #33 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Here's the interesting part: those of us who voiced our concerns and objections about Samsung long before this ever started, and who portended Samsung's eventual exposure for the liars and cheats they are, were called every name in the book by the usual gang of trolls. 

Many of them, the older ones that is, were the same a holes that defended Microsoft for stealing Apple's Mac OS to create Windows all those years ago too... it seems to never end ... / sigh
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #34 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

As much as you'd like to believe that consumers aren't that silly, they are.

For example, just watch people next time they fill up their car with gas at a gas station:

1. Somebody puts gas in their car.

At this point, in their immediate future, they have now created a 'To Do' list of 'go inside and pay for the gas I just put in the vehicle'.

2. They walk inside the petrol station, go up to the attendant and...

This is it. The moment.

Look at the confused look on their face. What pump number did they use? 'Sh!t', they say, 'I just filled up my car with gas. I didn't anticipate needing the pump number to tell the attendant which pump it was...'. Random pointing and referrals to 'it's the <insert colour> car' begin...

Unfortunately, customers don't live in the world that you and I live in.

Generally, they're in a galaxy far, far away...

Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
post #35 of 158
Quote:

You're lowballing. lol.gif

And is this REALLY what Samsung trolls' argument has devolved into? "These people are too stupid to read a label?"

It'd be nice to put a moratorium on all talk that could even be construed as slightly pro-Samsung, at least until the trial's over. At least after that we could get down to actual discussion about actual beliefs that real people might possibly have when they're not on twelve different types of drugs at once. But that's just wishful thinking. 

I can forgive an initial confusion upon seeing the Tab 10.1 but to actually purchase it and take it home because they thought it was an iPad is the pinnacle of stupidity. I'm also sure many were misled even further by salespeople. That cannot be blamed 100% on Samsung.
post #36 of 158
I can forgive an initial confusion upon seeing the Tab 10.1 but to actually purchase it and take it home because they thought it was an iPad is the pinnacle of stupidity. I'm also sure many were misled even further by salespeople. That cannot be blamed 100% on Samsung.

See what I frigging mean.

post #37 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It isn't that. Not everyone is good with tech. There are a lot of professionals out there who have *others* do this sort of work *for* them, because they don't have the time to do research on all this on their own. They aren't stupid, just busy with work that doesn't require that they know an Intel from an AMD, etc. And consequently, they make honest mistakes when it comes to tech. Even when things are labeled.

Most people will contend (techies or not) that there are some physical similarities in the products.  Beyond those, there are also a lot of differences-- dare I say far more than similarities.  Did Samsung intentionally trick buyers into thinking they were getting an iPad?  Did they 'steal' design or just take too many design queues (ie: front bezel, some icons, general home screen icon layout) and accidentally confuse the masses?  Did Samsung successfully steal any market share from Apple causing earnings damages?  How different does the product have to be before it is considered substantially different?  I'd think most AI'ers would content that they are entirely different based on the general perspective that Samsung makes junk Android devices.  

post #38 of 158
Quote:

I'm wondering if Apple marketing has expanded the reality distortion field across the globe.  The general population and even the techies here at AI are convinced that any device that looks kinda like theirs must be the same.

post #39 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Most people will contend (techies or not) that there are some physical similarities in the products.  Beyond those, there are also a lot of differences-- dare I say far more than similarities.  Did Samsung intentionally trick buyers into thinking they were getting an iPad?  Did they 'steal' design or just take too many design queues (ie: front bezel, some icons, general home screen icon layout) and accidentally confuse the masses?  Did Samsung successfully steal any market share from Apple causing earnings damages?  How different does the product have to be before it is considered substantially different?  I'd think most AI'ers would content that they are entirely different based on the general perspective that Samsung makes junk Android devices.  

yes, they are junk, that's why only a few buy them instead of an iPad (same price range).

the same is applied to phones. only a few buy other high end phones instead of an iphone.. however almost all of those are choosing to buy a S3 instead of htc, moto or sony.

Must of those are irrational people that make irrational choices. stupid people are also costumers and also have money. it is POSSIBLE that they could buy an apple product if samsung wasn't blantly copying apple, but they would find  something else. however a crime is a crime. a multibilion dollar company is copying apple and trying to harm them based on that (copying). they must stop and must be punished.

samsung is a criminal organization. they should be exterminated together with all of those that support such crimes (copying, exploration, mafia, etc).

post #40 of 158

It seems pretty awesome? hilarious? etc that all these documents apple is putting forth in the trial are internal Samsung documents.

Samsung must enjoy crucifying themselves?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads