or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple takes nearly one-third U.S. smartphone marketshare, tops Samsung

Apple takes nearly one-third U.S. smartphone marketshare, tops Samsung - Page 2

post #41 of 66

Honestly, how are people multi-tasking on their phones? I mean, I stream music while downloading an app and loading a webpage at the same time, but the bottleneck for those activities seem to be bandwidth not RAM. So are there phones that have multiple windows open on screen? What realistic multi-tasking is taking place on phones that makes RAM so much of a factor? Maybe I live too deep in the iPhone world to understand what folks in the Android camp are doing with their phones.

Maybe many multiple browser tabs preloaded into RAM is the only thing I can think of where I'd need more. And most of the time I want the webpages to refresh and be up to date anyway.

Please someone enlighten me.

(I'm definitely not arguing against adding more RAM, but saying the iPhone has too little compared to Android phones is like saying I need a Core i7 CPU so I can browse Facebook and send emails.)

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Don't forget lying about how good they are, then rejoicing when an update fixes something the liars claimed wasn't broken in the first place.

I disagree with almost every one of the posts you have written so far, but I do agree with this one. Which is cool. We can agree to disagree.

However I will take a stance if you direct this towards certain open minded people on here who have time and again shown your statement to be false.

The majority though... Not so much.
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Honestly, how are people multi-tasking on their phones? I mean, I stream music while downloading an app and loading a webpage at the same time, but the bottleneck for those activities seem to be bandwidth not RAM. So are there phones that have multiple windows open on screen? What realistic multi-tasking is taking place on phones that makes RAM so much of a factor? Maybe I live too deep in the iPhone world to understand what folks in the Android camp are doing with their phones.

Maybe many multiple browser tabs preloaded into RAM is the only thing I can think of where I'd need more. And most of the time I want the webpages to refresh and be up to date anyway.

(I'm definitely not arguing against adding more RAM, but saying the iPhone has too little compared to Android phones is like saying I need a Core i7 CPU so I can browse Facebook and send emails.)

After reading many of your (recent) posts you are definitely objective, well thought, and other than Sol, you seem to have an uncanny sense of common sense.

I really look forward to reading your posts. Almost as much as Sol's.

Thank you! You enlighten me. Enlightenment is the greatest gift that can be given.
post #44 of 66
Quote:

Maybe I live too deep in the iPhone world to understand what folks in the Android camp are doing with their phones.

They Root it. It's become a nerd pick up line. A guy sees you using your iPhone and makes a stupid remark like "You know that phone's broken right?". When you tell them it works just fine, they (usually after a few drinks) have to show you their phone, and why the iPhone (read: my phone) is broken.

Usually they have a star wars robot sound on there or a star track robot sound or something.

Let me know if you really want to hear what those guys pitch.

The coolest thing... I don't tell them I know anything about tech, or read anything on this site. (usuallly i never wanted to talk to them). It's funny from my point of view. Maybe I'm being deceiving, but I love when guys try to one up me on tech and I love playing stupid!

I can imagine the heat ill get from that last sentence.
Edited by Vadania - 8/9/12 at 12:31am
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Yes, I probably should, my daughter is using the 4S. I paid $700+ for it with tax. The marketing hype and status symbol got her, she wanted one badly, what can I do? :)  But for kids it's a good toy phone.

I used to own the iPhone 3G three year ago when it was more competitive. Now Apple lost its touch. Apple became cocky, lazy and stagnant. 

Absolute hogwash…  "lost its touch"… "cocky, lazy, stagnant"…  why, because it doesn't have a '4.8" slab screen' on a mobile phone?

And the kicker, 'a good toy phone'… that's the most ridiculous, disingenuous "politicized" statement I've heard yet. 

How has it gone from "cutting edge" to "toy" in 3 years? As if the OS has not evolved, nor the feature set of the phone? Last I saw, the market is embracing it fully… it's the top selling phone of ALL TIME… oh, yeah, must be the "hype"… it couldn't POSSIBLY be that it offers something more than your weak opinion of it...

Did you get a job at Samsung or another competitor maybe? This is just beyond silly...

post #46 of 66
The minute someone throws out sweatshop I ignore anything they have to say. Pure trolling.

And besides a big-ass screen what does Galaxy S III have that's so revolutionary? Widgets? Oh and if you want to talk about marketing and hype, the S III has had some of the biggest marketing and hype of any phone ever. Every other commercial on NBC these past two weeks has been for the S III or AT&T (with someone using the S III).
post #47 of 66

Nope. the top selling phone of all time is a dumb phone called NOKIA 1100, released in 2003, with about 250 million sold, not just shipped, as people at AI love to repeat rather incessantly. Infact, Iphone, with all its iterations, can manage perhaps around 125 million sold up until now, still less than the Nokia 1100 younger sibling's, the Nokia 1110, total of 150 million. 

Yes, I will let it slide only when you are saying "the top selling smartphone of all time" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

How has it gone from "cutting edge" to "toy" in 3 years? As if the OS has not evolved, nor the feature set of the phone? Last I saw, the market is embracing it fully… it's the top selling phone of ALL TIME… oh, yeah, must be the "hype"… it couldn't POSSIBLY be that it offers something more than your weak opinion of it...

Edited by mcrs - 8/9/12 at 5:18am
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

interesting stories:
appleinsider reports "Apple takes over one-third U.S. smartphone marketshare, tops Samsung "
while pretty much at the same time, cnn runs a story about an IDC report where "Android races past Apple in smartphone market share" ... stating "More specifically, IDC pegged Android's gain "directly" to Samsung, "

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

CNN ran quit a different story today. Android Races Past Apple in Smartphone Market which in a nutshell said "Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times more than the 17% market share held by 
Apple

, according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC."

Before anyone even starts to play market share games, they need to define terms. The first article above is specifically smart phones. The second appears to be comparing total Android sales to total iOS sales (although they do use the term 'smart phone', the text indicates that they're actually measuring total Android sales).

Since many Android phones are feature phones and many others are not-so-smart phones, both articles can be correct.

Frankly, I couldn't care less one way or the other. I chose the best phone for me and have been disgusted with the performance of every Android phone I've ever used. if others are happy with their Android phones, it has no effect on me.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 66

Actually, if you join the thread rather late, such as what you are doing, you have the luxury to read some intelligent and not-so intelligent posts, and you'd also find out indirectly what SGS III has that Iphone 4S doesn't. Some of these features will probably be rendered moot by the "new" Iphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The minute someone throws out sweatshop I ignore anything they have to say. Pure trolling.
And besides a big-ass screen what does Galaxy S III have that's so revolutionary? Widgets? Oh and if you want to talk about marketing and hype, the S III has had some of the biggest marketing and hype of any phone ever. Every other commercial on NBC these past two weeks has been for the S III or AT&T (with someone using the S III).

Your question is partially answered by Mercury99 post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Even though I own 2 Macs and 2 iPads, to me the iPhone is a low end mass market smartphone: 1/2 GB [i.e. more] RAM, tiny screen, no AMOLED, no NFC, no SD, no LTE, no USB storage, small non-removable [i.e. removable] battery, assembled in sweat shops...

I will also add an excellent battery life for a 4G LTE phone.

Edited by mcrs - 8/9/12 at 10:01pm
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Nope. the top selling phone of all time is a dumb phone called NOKIA 1100, released in 2003, with about 250 million sold, not just shipped, as people at AI love to repeat rather incessantly. Infact, Iphone, with all its iterations, can manage perhaps around 125 million sold up until now, still less than the Nokia 1100 younger sibling's, the Nokia 1110, total of 150 million. 

Yes, I will let it slide only when you are saying "the top selling smartphone of all time" instead.

Which one? The one with b&w screen, radio and a torchlight?

I have it with me Samsung 1080e, has a colour screen but probably the same thing.

post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I disagree. That was a pitiful attempt. We are usually used to a better class of...shall we say people who bend the truth...here in the forum. Usually when you make a post you don't put evidence that disproves your post in the same post. At least make us check your previous posts in incongruencies. If your not going to try, it's really not any fun.

Well, it was a little fun, to read, at least.

post #52 of 66
Quote:

Well when trojans set up email servers in the background for sending out spam, they need Android with plenty of RAM.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #53 of 66
I have to wonder what percentage of the TV audience would see a flat piece of cardboard in someone's hand and think it to be an iPad? In the eyes of most, tablet = iPad, just like facial tissue = Kleenex. So what's the point of this headline?
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post

I have to wonder what percentage of the TV audience would see a flat piece of cardboard in someone's hand and think it to be an iPad? In the eyes of most, tablet = iPad, just like facial tissue = Kleenex. So what's the point of this headline?

I think you may be in the wrong thread.
post #55 of 66

@ Quatra610.

"Apple used the same strategy in the 80s and lost. No way they can continue to be successful."  

Sir, I had a Quatra 610, and you sir are NO Quatra 610.   PS, I think you are so totally wrong.  Maybe you should buy HTC stock. LOL

post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

@ Quatra610.

"Apple used the same strategy in the 80s and lost. No way they can continue to be successful.
"  

Sir, I had a Quatra 610, and you sir are NO Quatra 610.   PS, I think you are so totally wrong.  Maybe you should buy HTC stock. LOL

And you may be arguing with the wrong person.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

@ Quatra610.

"Apple used the same strategy in the 80s and lost. No way they can continue to be successful.
"  

Hint: Quadra was being sarcastic.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

june-2011-smartphone-share.png;

Q2-2012-US-Smartphone-manufacturers-share-updated.png;

there, I found Nielson's Q2 2012 data..  so that's 8% in Q2, 2011 to 17% in Q2, 2012 - that's still 100+% gain.  Apple's share increased from 28% in Q2, 2011 to 34% in Q2, 2012 - that is only 20+% gain.  Nielsen's numbers are ased on # of US mobile subscribers.

Yes, now you're getting there Tool.

Still not correct though!  Samsung's smartphone subscriber share for Q2 2011 was 10% not 8%. And 17.5% for Q2 2012.

Thanks for playing.

post #59 of 66

They are the venerable but dumb albeit power stingy Nokia 1100, 250 million sold, and I betcha some people are still using it. It just runs and runs and runs...

A little tidbits: 

The Nokia 1100 was designed at Nokia Design Center in California, by the Bulgarian-American designer Miki Mehandjiysky.

Nokia's one billionth phone sold was a Nokia 1100 purchased in Nigeria in 2005.

The basic Nokia 1100 consumes only a fraction of the power in its battery and therefore lasts for up to 400 hours between charges.

In early 2009 it was in the news due to a firmware flaw in a batch of phones that were manufactured in a plant in Bochum, Germany.The phone could supposedly be programmed to receive messages directed to a different phone number, thus receiving sensitive bank or other data. This flaw was brought to authorities' attention after some phones were sold for over US$32,000. There is only one source, a volunteer association using the name Ultrascan, that all these articles fall back to. A proof of concept or any other evidence for its claims was never published. [Source: Wikipedia]

And, those were the days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Which one? The one with b&w screen, radio and a torchlight?

I have it with me Samsung 1080e, has a colour screen but probably the same thing.

Edited by mcrs - 8/9/12 at 9:11am
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Absolute hogwash…  "lost its touch"… "cocky, lazy, stagnant"…  why, because it doesn't have a '4.8" slab screen' on a mobile phone?

Screen size is one reason. Apple does not offer consumer a choice of screen sizes. Apple does not listen to consumer needs.  Apple tells you what you need: 3.5" (and then Apple says the 10" tablet it's all you need, everything else is unusable). That's cocky.

In the mean time Android vendors sell millions of 4.5-5.3" phones and 7" tablets.

"Stagnant, lazy": Apple is always behind in latest technologies. I have already mentioned them: AMOLED, LTE, OS features, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

And the kicker, 'a good toy phone'

Again, no USB storage, no SD cards, no removable batteries, limited multitasking, very limited customization. Nice icons though and shiny glass body. Good basic phone for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

it's the top selling phone of ALL TIME…

Sure, and the BigMac is the top selling hamburger "of ALL TIME". Does it make the best hamburger? What about the top selling desktop OS "of ALL TIME"? Is the Windows the best OS ever? 

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #61 of 66

So, Apple and Samsung are doing very well.  No surprise there.

But let's take a look at the world's #2 Android smartphone manufacturer: HTC.  (1.)

You'd think that the world's second-best Android handset maker would be basking in the Samsung Android halo.

And you'd be wrong.

Q2 results:

* Revenue down 26.8% year over year

* Profits down 58% year over year ($585 million in the year-ago quarter, $248 million this year) (2.)

* Third consecutive quarter in which profits declined

Q3 guidance:

* Revenue down 41% to 48% from the year-ago quarter

And what about the latest, greatest HTC One series of smartphones?  Are they the key to HTC's recovery?

Nope.  AT&T just cut retail prices by up to 50%.

(1. Not sure if HTC is still the #2 Android handset maker.  Especially after last quarter's terrible results.)

(2. Microsoft and Nokia would kill to get this level of profit from Windows Phone / Lumia.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

They are the venerable but dumb albeit power stingy Nokia 1100, 250 million sold, and I betcha some people are still using it. It just runs and runs and runs...

A little tidbits: 

The Nokia 1100 was designed at Nokia Design Center in California, by the Bulgarian-American designer Miki Mehandjiysky.

Nokia's one billionth phone sold was a Nokia 1100 purchased in Nigeria in 2005.

The basic Nokia 1100 consumes only a fraction of the power in its battery and therefore lasts for up to 400 hours between charges.

...and my wife HATED that phone!!  Worst phone she ever had and it wouldn't answer when she pressed the buttons (got for FREE in February 2008).  In July 2010 she got an iPhone 3GS and has been happy ever since (and still doesn't check her email or know why the alarm does not go off....hehe)

Edited by icoco3 - 8/9/12 at 12:14pm
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

Hey, Korean media will be very, very sad to hear this news. They have been really busy kissing Samsung's ass the whole year.

They are going to have hard time swallowing this. I can't wait to see how they are going to report after Samsung loses the trial in California. :)

http://newyork.newsday.com/business/technology/apple-iphone-sales-drop-as-samsung-extends-google-android-domination-1.3893581

Yeah.  Not really.

post #64 of 66

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:04pm
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Yes, now you're getting there Tool.

Still not correct though!  Samsung's smartphone subscriber share for Q2 2011 was 10% not 8%. And 17.5% for Q2 2012.

Thanks for playing.

hardly anything to cry about.    That's still 75% vs. Apple's ~25% gain.

anytime

post #66 of 66
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
I think you may be in the wrong thread.

He's on the wrong website.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple takes nearly one-third U.S. smartphone marketshare, tops Samsung