or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple files hint at re-engineered iMac and Mac Pro models, potentially without optical drives

Apple files hint at re-engineered iMac and Mac Pro models, potentially without optical drives - Page 2

post #41 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The xmac is already taken. Note the trademark. I got a laugh out of this the first time I saw it and noted the "TM" notation.

1) Is that product legal?

2) I didn't mean it as an actual brand name but x referring to an unknown thing. I assumed that's how others used it when the term was coined.

Quote:
I don't see them providing a good solution going this route. I mean it's possible. I just don't see it. With the imac they bundle a display to support a high cost of entry.  The mac pro was likely carried in volume by it's $2500 option, so as that has become less competitive against the imac in many ways (I'm aware of what the imac will and will not do), the value there has weakened.

I'll be getting an iMac, most likely, after using notebooks exclusively since about 1998. I'm not giving up my MBP completely, but since my iPhone and iPad fill a major part of that niche I think I'll try getting the largest iMac they have so I can see how that feels on my desk.

PS: Oh yeah, I'll have to buy a desk, too. And a chair. And I guess some executive-style doodads to keep on the desk.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #42 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Look at my brand new Apple iMac.  It has a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse.  It's a work of art with the exception of the external optical drive!

If you have an old Mac or PC, you can use 'their' CD/DVD drive instead. Thus, wireless optical drive too!
post #43 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

We've already seen the next generation iMac. It's called the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Not really. The Display, with retina high refresh rate graphics, hdmi inputs and a larger size model choice is the 'Apple TV'

The iMac will look basically the same but thinner with no ODD, retina display etc. maybe not all of the but at least a high end 27 inch to start things off. As component prices come down it will trickle down the lineup like the MacBook pro will.

I'm set to buy both. Especially if the display comes in a 40 inch or higher and has sufficient graphics for.me to hook up a 3d BluRay for my Pixar films. Tide me over until 3d comes to the iTunes store.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #44 of 253
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since it requires purchased Apple hardware to operate, I imagine Apple doesn't care as much about the name as they would otherwise.

Also, that gives us a spectacular metric to know exactly when (well, if) Apple's leadership goes completely insane, because if the product is ever renamed… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #45 of 253
Quote:

Why haven't you used HandBrake to copy those videos to your drive? DVDs are MPEG-2. MPEG-2!!!!!!! MPEG-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't expect anyone to scrap their DVDs but if you have a method of ripping them that allows the media to be slower and ported everywhere easily they why not use it?

All of my movies have been ripped using HandBrake. That's what one of my 2TB HDDs is used for. The other 2TB HDD is for Time Machine. Btw, what would you like me to do with all my movies, TV shows, etc. on DVD I bought over the years? Throw them away? Sell Them? Not a chance! Should I get rid of my DVD player too?

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #46 of 253

If they remove the two DVD slots from the chassis of the Mac Pro you have the mid size tower everyone has been clamoring for. I use the drives a lot but if they remove them I'll just buy a box of USB flash drives and use them instead. Kind of hard to write on them to identify what is on them but such is progress. I mostly use DVD to burn big printing jobs to send to the printer. They do have high speed upload but if I send them the disc, they toss it in the job jacket and I always know I have another "exactly as printed" back up if I have a disaster, which hasn't ever happen but it lets you sleep well knowing...

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #47 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

All of my movies have been ripped using HandBrake. That's what one of my 2TB HDDs is used for. The other 2TB HDD is for Time Machine. Btw, what would you like me to do with all my movies, TV shows, etc. on DVD I bought over the years? Throw them away? Sell Them? Not a chance! Should I get rid of my DVD player too?

They will take the same road VHS took years back.

post #48 of 253

Hard to admit, but they are probably right, as always : at home, my teenagers kids NEVER use a physical media on our Macs ....

post #49 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

Btw, what would you like me to do with all my movies, TV shows, etc. on DVD I bought over the years? Throw them away? Sell Them? Not a chance! Should I get rid of my DVD player too?

That's up to you. What have you done with your VHS player and tapes? Your floppy drive and diskettes? Your cassette tape player and cassette tapes? Your 8-track player and tapes? Your stereoscope and images?

I personally ripped my CDs to Apple Lossless a long time ago and got rid of my CDs after I made sure I had a backup of all my copied tracks. I keep a drive with such data in my safety deposit box. Not that the music was a big deal to keep there but I was going to keep other data on it and it would fit anyway.

post #50 of 253
Quote:

Even on a restart all the apps you had open pop back up, including QTX with the video's last position.

Having everything exactly the way you left it is what Sleep is for.

The point of a reboot is to clear things out and let you start clean with no processes running (except essential startup ones), maximum free RAM and no swap files or other temporary caches. Restarting is supposed to be a very rare activity.

I'm shocked that Apple is still selling a spring 2011 iMac in the summer of 2012 and not because it lacks USB 3.0 but because it still boots Snow Leopard. I was sure that once Mountain Lion shipped that Apple would introduce a new iMac and Mac mini to lock customers into the new OS. Now it looks like a re-design may be coming sooner than I expected.

Unlike some here I'm happy to still have access to legacy media and software. My iMac can run Rosetta and has an optical drive. My G4 tower gives me access to a variety of hard drives (ATA, UWSCSI, etc.) and removable storage like early low speed CDs that don't like new drives, Zip disks and even floppies. The need for such things is admittedly very low, but I like to at least have the option. I have some photos backed up on 230MB magneto optical disks that will probably still be readable long after I die, but nobody will have any hardware with which to do so.

post #51 of 253
apps you had open pop back up, including QTX with the video's last position.

Wait, it does? Why am I thinking it doesn't… Is it if you close the window in question without quitting, the position won't be saved?

post #52 of 253

I hope it's announced at the rumored Sep 12 event.

I'll be buying a BTO iMac, with the largest display, spec'd out to the gills !!!

post #53 of 253

Apple is constantly looking for ways to cut costs.  Making things thinner, even iMacs, reduces the amount of material use which saves them money.  Eliminate the optical drive will save them tons of money.

I think Apple looks at items that it believes fewer than 50% (40%, 10%, whatever) of owners use and then decides to eliminate it.  That's why Apple doesn't add things that some people use, but most will not.  The same is true for stuff they eliminate.

I'd rather see it as optional in BTO with the space available for a second HDD or SSD.  

As for an optical disk, can't they make it wireless?  Except for the fact it would need a power cord... which means you might as well plug it into USB.

post #54 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Having everything exactly the way you left it is what Sleep is for.
The point of a reboot is to clear things out and let you start clean with no processes running (except essential startup ones), maximum free RAM and no swap files or other temporary caches. Restarting is supposed to be a very rare activity.

A reboot still does do that. All your processes have to start up again. If you don't want that to happen they make it easy to disable.
I'd wager that most people start up the apps that just had running with the files they just had loaded with their windows right in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, it does? Why am I thinking it doesn't… Is it if you close the window in question without quitting, the position won't be saved?

If you close the window or quite QTX it doesn't save anything unless you hold the Option key so it says Quit and Keep Windows.

I absolutely hate keeping my videos in iTunes even though it will remember the last position. DVD player does this with separate files in ~/Library. Unfortunately this is simply not an option for QTX. I have even to use Terminal to get AutoPlay enabled: defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

post #55 of 253

I can't wait to see how your going to play those 4K movie files in the next couple of years without an optical drive...

post #56 of 253
Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post
I can't wait to see how your going to play those 4K movie files in the next couple of years without an optical drive...

By downloading them. Why's that even a question? HEVC makes everything a piece of cake.

post #57 of 253
Quote:

What 4K movie files?

The people have spoken. DVD is still more widely used than Blu-ray and internet video video beats both of them put together. The future is not a huge optical drive with moving parts, that is slow to read/write, noisy, and prone to break. It was great when it was at its prime but that time has since come and gone for the ODD in a PC.

post #58 of 253
Quote:

That's up to you. What have you done with your VHS player and tapes? Your floppy drive and diskettes? Your cassette tape player and cassette tapes? Your 8-track player and tapes? Your stereoscope and images?
I personally ripped my CDs to Apple Lossless a long time ago and got rid of my CDs after I made sure I had a backup of all my copied tracks. I keep a drive with such data in my safety deposit box. Not that the music was a big deal to keep there but I was going to keep other data on it and it would fit anyway.

Comparing the optical disc to floppy and VHS is hardly a good comparison. The floppy die because it ran out of space and could not be expanded any further. VHS died because of a better format for viewing and storage (the optical disc). The optical disc has continued to expand, from CD to DVD to BluRay. Plus it is still backwardly compatible with all previous formats. BluRay is currently available in both 25 and 50 gig today with drives in development capable of 500 gig. I produce wedding and event videos and I have never has a bride yet that has asked for a fuzzy, blurry Youtube video for her wedding. There is no way that todays 6 mbs network video is going to look as good and 36 mbs BluRay. Also... please explain to me how you are going to handle the coming 4K format on your internet connection and jump drives. Are you willing to spend that much on storage for your movies?

post #59 of 253
Quote:

2) I didn't mean it as an actual brand name but x referring to an unknown thing. I assumed that's how others used it when the term was coined.
I'll be getting an iMac, most likely, after using notebooks exclusively since about 1998. I'm not giving up my MBP completely, but since my iPhone and iPad fill a major part of that niche I think I'll try getting the largest iMac they have so I can see how that feels on my desk.
PS: Oh yeah, I'll have to buy a desk, too. And a chair. And I guess some executive-style doodads to keep on the desk.

1)  Yeah Sonnet is a legitimate brand, and they often offer products for Macs earlier than other brands.  You just pay quite a lot at times. I do not think they'd break any laws on this, and xMac was always a term coined by users rather than Apple anyway. I'm never sure who will get my sense of humor, but I was having fun with that one. I understand that the "X" is to represent an unknown variable. You're talking to someone with a math obsession:P.

2) Yeah I've definitely noticed how much typical computer desks have diminished. I'd need one regardless due to the sheer number of peripherals. I still don't have an ipad. I like them, but they are still too limiting for some of the ways I would want to use one. Even in things that aren't cpu bound, it cannot necessarily replace the use of a notebook for me.

post #60 of 253
Quote:

...I can see it not having an ODD at all, but have a case that allows for an ODD option. Perhaps even not a tray, but a cleverly placed slot for the disc should you decide to go with that option...

+1 on your suggestion SolipsismX. Slim, discrete and an option. We all know that Apple can design this in... for the few of us that don't want to have the external ODD.

post #61 of 253
Quote:

By downloading them. Why's that even a question? HEVC makes everything a piece of cake.

And your long term storage for the video you purchase? Again, I will bet the DL won't be a full 36 mbs movie. I don't think provider will tolerate everybody downloading 25 gig files at todays capacity.

post #62 of 253
The floppy die because it ran out of space and could not be expanded any further.

And the disc is dead because it's the slowest part of any computer by an order of magnitude or more. I don't care if I can have terabyte HVDs if it takes a frigging hour to access data on them. Have you seen the loading screens on consoles these days? Everyone in every industry would be better served to drop the disc and go digital.

VHS died because of a better format for viewing and storage (the optical disc).

And optical is dead because SSD is a better format for viewing and storage. It's the circle of tech. And it moves us all. Through bits and bytes. Through giga and tera. 'Till we find our place. And stop all rewinding. It's the circle. The circle of tech.

There is no way that todays 6 mbs network video is going to look as good and 36 mbs BluRay. Also... please explain to me how you are going to handle the coming 4K format on your internet connection and jump drives. Are you willing to spend that much on storage for your movies?

Please go look up HEVC. It's gonna cut my terabyte of digital media by much GREATER than half, and would even give me a higher bitrate. I legitimately can't wait to reencode all of that video to such a splendid format.

And then I'll rip everything from discs for my immediate family and set us all up with Apple TVs. All Apple has to do to get me to buy four Apple

TVs right now is allow them to access hard drives formatted as iTunes Libraries when they're directly connected to an AirPort.

Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post
And your long term storage for the video you purchase? Again, I will bet the DL won't be a full 36 mbs movie.

For me, spinning disk hard drives until SSD's come down in price. I'll bet the download won't need to be a "36Mb/s" movie. Like Blu-ray provides anything remotely close to lossless video, anyway. 

I don't think provider will tolerate everybody downloading 25 gig files at todays capacity.

I don't think they have a choice. In fact, I know they don't. They are forced to change to stay relevant. For example, my ISP is uncapped, unthrottled, and unblocked.

If any of those three changes, there will be HELL to pay from me and tens of millions of my fellow subscribers.

If they refuse to increase our speeds to keep up with what Google is doing, there will be HELL to pay from me and tens of millions of my fellow subscribers.

They do what WE want or they go out of business. Telecoms and ISPs can only get away with so much.

post #63 of 253
Quote:

And your long term storage for the video you purchase? Again, I will bet the DL won't be a full 36 mbs movie. I don't think provider will tolerate everybody downloading 25 gig files at todays capacity.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/storage 

The fact that you can already buy a 1tb hard drive for around $100 means that they will soon be $50, and then $25 ect ect. Also a hard drive is far smaller than a stack of dvds (especially if you have cases) and easier to organize. Hello the future... I mean present. 

post #64 of 253
Quote:

I produce wedding and event videos and I have never has a bride yet that has asked for a fuzzy, blurry Youtube video for her wedding.

And there we have it. Your type of argument usually boils down to only wanting what you want the rest of the world be damned for not having your specific needs. If you are a professional then focusing on some aesthetic where you want to Apple to supply the drive and where you want Apple to design their Macs around your specific needs is selfish. You are entitled to want these things. I certainly have a lot of desires for my kit but I don't blame Apple for not hurting their business for not following my self-serving desires. That's what it boils down to! If you want a Mac that you do your wedding stuff then get a Mac Pro or an external Blu-ray burner. What app do you use for this anyway because Apple has forgotten about DVD Studio Pro and has never bothered to support Blu-ray in any of their professional products, so you have to be aware that day was coming.

post #65 of 253
Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post
The fact that you can already buy a 1tb hard drive for around $100 means that they will soon be $50, and then $25 ect ect. Also a hard drive is far smaller than a stack of dvds (especially if you have cases) and easier to organize. Hello the future... I mean present. 

And think of the future he proposes: scratch a disc at all, lose a terabyte of data.

Scratch a hard drive, you have a metal case with a scratch in it and data that would laugh if it were sentient.

post #66 of 253

Personally, I would miss the optical drive. I watch the movies on my iMac. I upgraded my iMac at the end of last year so this is not a problem for me. My wife's iMac is due for replacement this year and I can't remember the last time she used the DVD player so for her, if it didn't have an optical drive, it would be ok. For me, I would probably get an external optical drive if the iMac did not have the option of a built in drive when it comes time to replace my present machine. If this story is true, maybe Apple will keep an older model around for a while that has the optical drive for choice for the consumer.

post #67 of 253
Originally Posted by nealg View Post
If this story is true, maybe Apple will keep an older model around for a while that has the optical drive for choice for the consumer.

See, if Apple can surprise me (us?) and pop out two retina models of iMac (can anyone even imagine the feeling of a retina 27"?!), I bet they'd update the current design's 21.5" model with new hardware as a really cheap low end… 

But otherwise it's not about choice whatsoever. It's about progress, and not for its own sake. This progress is certainly a long time coming. A very long time.

post #68 of 253
Quote:

I have never has a bride yet that has asked for a fuzzy, blurry Youtube video for her wedding.

I should hope not, and that you wouldn't supply such a file.

Quote:
BluRay is currently available in both 25 and 50 gig today with drives in development capable of 500 gig. There is no way that todays 6 mbs network video is going to look as good and 36 mbs BluRay. Also... please explain to me how you are going to handle the coming 4K format on your internet connection and jump drives. Are you willing to spend that much on storage for your movies?

Blu-Ray has it's uses, just not necessarily on a computer. It's going to be a while (couple of years minimum) still before 4K is an everyday/consumer product. Storage is cheap, and will be cheaper by that time, and I'm sure encoders will keep advancing as well.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #69 of 253
Quote:

As big a bag of hurt Blu-ray is, the concept of an optical drive entirely is now a far bigger one.
Blu ray will be obsolete- yes.
I just hope that streaming or a format comes to fruition that is unnoticeable to Blu-Ray that would allow me to get away from it before it becomes obsolete.

Because as I sit here watching Kung Fu Panda 2 on Blu Ray with 7.1 DTS Master HD... Nothing can touch it. So I'll be a hold out as long as I can. 600+ Blu Rays because I still value the quality over convenience. I'm not gonna say something douchey like "people are lazy- that's why they value convenience over quality". The truth is- as convenience gets better quality, like apples 1080p now- that's another step closer and another nail in the coffin- all the while making convenience an even bigger factor because the gap has narrowed.

I'm all for dumping the Blus- just not until there is a better format. (I also love certain 4k or 8k restorations only available on Blu ray- Ben hur, to kill a mockingbird, Gandhi, etc etc).
Edited by Andysol - 8/9/12 at 6:59pm

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #70 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Look at my brand new Apple iMac.  It has a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse.  It's a work of art with the exception of the external optical drive!

That raccoon high gloss screen nixes that.
The white knight with matte screen was so much more refined.
post #71 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

+1 on your suggestion SolipsismX. Slim, discrete and an option. We all know that Apple can design this in... for the few of us that don't want to have the external ODD.

Pffft- iMac needs a matte/ non glossy option way before a stupid tray option
post #72 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

I hope it's announced at the rumored Sep 12 event.

I'll be buying a BTO iMac, with the largest display, spec'd out to the gills !!!

[
Agreed . I hope they finally get the iMac right after all these lean years. I can finally put my white iMac to sleep.
post #73 of 253

This is a great move, ditching anything that spins. The hard drive will be last to go, but the ODD is long overdue. Reading some of the posts does illustrate that some professionals need such storage, but their needs can still be met externally.

My last DVD purchase was the King of Queens box set. My boys and I love to watch it together. But holy crud, it's a pain to load it up. DVD players are the epitome of slothery. Even the eject mechanism takes its time. Then there's the long load, followed by being threatened with fines and jail time, followed by an ever-changing GUI to access the content.

I typed this post faster than this process plays out. Painful stuff. Our only compensation is the laughter that follows. And mercifully, there is a Play All Episodes option that bypasses the threat of prison rape before I enjoy the content.

I know SJ hates optical drives. His NeXT box, which I used in college, was bogged down by that finicky recordable optical disk. It would spin up and down constantly and eventually died. I'm surprised he didn't make Apple an ODD free zone before he died.

post #74 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

Boo

Get a UPS for that.

Why? If it's not a big deal for a laptop, I'd like it to be included in the iMac.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #75 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

This is a great move, ditching anything that spins. The hard drive will be last to go, but the ODD is long overdue. Reading some of the posts does illustrate that some professionals need such storage, but their needs can still be met externally.

My last DVD purchase was the King of Queens box set. My boys and I love to watch it together. But holy crud, it's a pain to load it up. DVD players are the epitome of slothery. Even the eject mechanism takes its time. Then there's the long load, followed by being threatened with fines and jail time, followed by an ever-changing GUI to access the content.

I typed this post faster than this process plays out. Painful stuff. Our only compensation is the laughter that follows. And mercifully, there is a Play All Episodes option that bypasses the threat of prison rape before I enjoy the content.

I know SJ hates optical drives. His NeXT box, which I used in college, was bogged down by that finicky recordable optical disk. It would spin up and down constantly and eventually died. I'm surprised he didn't make Apple an ODD free zone before he died.

Have u ever heard of a turntable?
Steve jobs loved them.
Quality over speed.
post #76 of 253
Quote:

You're regressing, Solipx! :)

Use your iP5 with an wifi iPad and put your money into the big screen AppleTV when it comes out. Who wants to sit at a "desk" with a computer? Ugh! :)

post #77 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why? If it's not a big deal for a laptop, I'd like it to be included in the iMac.

1) Why is it necessary for a desktop? If my power were to go out (something I can't recall happening in the last decade) my WiFi and cable modem would be out of commission so it's a moot point. I assume that Mac users likely live in areas with decent power grids. If it is an issue what percentage of Mac users do you think it would affect? How many desktop units does that amount to. If the Mac Pro/Power Mac has never had one then why expect it in the iMac which is already compact and isn't what I think Apple would call a mission critical machine that needs to capture every change that might have happened within the last couple seconds. It all just sounds like more hassle and cost than it's worth. I certainly don't want to pay for it.

2) Remember that components in a notebook are designed to power efficient for a battery. The 2.5" HDD runs off of USB power. A 3.5" HDD doesn't. Then there is the screen. How much more power does a 27" display need over a notebook? Then there is the CPU, GPU and other components.
  • 11" MBA — 45W
  • 13" MBA — 45W
  • 13" MBP — 60W
  • 15" MBP — 85W
  • 21.5" iMac — 205W
  • 27" iMac — 310W

Do these scale perfectly? Are there technical issues with the amount of power needed? I have to think that UPS batteries weigh as much as a car battery and yet supply so little time for a reason.

post #78 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You're regressing, Solipx! 1smile.gif

Use your iP5 with an wifi iPad and put your money into the big screen AppleTV when it comes out. Who wants to sit at a "desk" with a computer? Ugh! 1smile.gif

You might be right. But I'll still keep my other devices and would be interested in seeing what Apple could do for the HEC even if I think and Apple HDTV isn't nearly a ready for what has been proposed.

post #79 of 253
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
…Kung Fu Panda 2 on Blu Ray with 7.1 DTS Master HD... Nothing can touch it.

Except a Pixar movie. 😇

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post
Agreed . I hope they finally get the iMac right after all these lean years. I can finally put my white iMac to sleep.

Or you could just buy a third-party IPS display after all these years… 

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does it matter anymore? Say the power goes out. You don't lose anything. Your documents are saved as you type, so they're right back where they were when you boot back up. UPS' and other battery solutions are from the decades where we were told we had to save before quitting. They never should have happened, but 'what if's' are useless; let's just move forward to the future as it should have always been.

post #80 of 253
Quote:

You might be right. But I'll still keep my other devices and would be interested in seeing what Apple could do for the HEC even if I think and Apple HDTV isn't nearly a ready for what has been proposed.

to be perfectly honest, I covet the large screen iMac, too. I have the orig. intel 20" white iMac running SL...i bought the latest Apple BT KB and have the Apple BT MagicPad.

I was in an Apple store recently and I really like the improvements Apple has made to Safari in Lion and pretty much everything else in Lion. Or maybe it was ML. Anyway...they are, indeed, exquisite machines! :)

Edited by christopher126 - 8/9/12 at 8:19pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple files hint at re-engineered iMac and Mac Pro models, potentially without optical drives