or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › iMac G5 Model A1144 1.9 GHz - Hard Drive Replacement

iMac G5 Model A1144 1.9 GHz - Hard Drive Replacement

post #1 of 4

Will this SATA-600 work in it? Or do I need to buy additional connectors, etc.?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DMFAJ2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3K5HHD3KZXXBZ

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #2 of 4

Anyone?

post #3 of 4

What is SATA-600? Is that just another name for SATA III? 

It should work fine in your iMac, but will run at SATA I (150, is it called?) speeds. 

All SATA are pin-compatible, both forward and backward, but no drive will run faster than the port to which it's connected, and vice versa. So if the computer has a SATA II port, it'll only run SATA III drives at half speed and SATA I drives at full (not double) speed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What is SATA-600? Is that just another name for SATA III? 

It should work fine in your iMac, but will run at SATA I (150, is it called?) speeds. 

All SATA are pin-compatible, both forward and backward, but no drive will run faster than the port to which it's connected, and vice versa. So if the computer has a SATA II port, it'll only run SATA III drives at half speed and SATA I drives at full (not double) speed.

It's not my computer, but thanks for clearing that up.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › iMac G5 Model A1144 1.9 GHz - Hard Drive Replacement