or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Internal sales documents show Samsung has lost the war for tablet supremacy in the US
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Internal sales documents show Samsung has lost the war for tablet supremacy in the US - Page 3

post #81 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Perhaps in your view I'd fit in better by relying more on juvenile taunting mixed with a bit of pompous snarkiness? Nah, there's members here that already have parts of that covered. Courteous responses are still pretty rare so I try to stick to those for the most part. Maybe it will catch on.

Excellent example of your passive aggressive charm, thanks.  😃

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
post #82 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I'm of a similar mind. If the jury believes that Samsung's tablets are not selling, they might conclude that any copying being done is ineffective and not causing harm to Apple. Kinda like a "innocent by reason of incompetence" defense.

More like attempted murder vs. murder.

"Your honor, my client may have fired an entire 15 round clip at the victim, but as you can clearly see, my client is a terrible shot and the victim is in good health."
post #83 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Gotcha. So you agreed with what I had to say, just not how often I felt I had to say it before I felt forum members understood. 

Yes. Yes. Yes. I got it. You got it. I got it that you got it. 

 

Please, please go on to something else..... (I promise to try and avoid you as well).

post #84 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

They're straight-up Unicode characters, so they should be showing up anywhere that knows what they are. But that's the problem with using a standard; not everything supports it.

 

1000

It's not a "standard" if it takes certain hardware/software to read it. All that said, and you likely can't tri-force.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #85 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


You need to proofread too.

Really subtle humor is lost on you... It was soooo subtle it went over my head for the first few seconds. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #86 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's not a "standard" if it takes certain hardware/software to read it. All that said, and you likely can't tri-force.

Hmmm.... I am still on 10.7, and I have no problem using this from 'Character Viewer' 😳 or this 👍 or this 👳 or 💤......?

post #87 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The real question is, if Samsung and IDC "exaggerated" tablet sales, how much are they also "exaggerating" smartphone sales. It's starting to look like Samsung is mostly smoke and mirrors. Exaggerate is a kinder word than lie but I'm thinking the "lie" shoe fits.

First, it's been well established by Korean courts that Samscum is a criminal organization.

 

Secondly, criminal organizations have large incomes that they wash through banks.

 

How convenient it is that they have money losing segments of their organization where they can claim high profits to run through the banks.

 

So, in conclusion, Samscum is fighting this case to continue to have a division where they can wash their ill-gotten gains from other sources.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #88 of 116
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
It's not a "standard" if it takes certain hardware/software to read it. All that said, and you likely can't tri-force.

 

Of course it is. So USB isn't a standard because old computers don't have USB ports? So Thunderbolt isn't a standard because PCs don't have the drivers for it? By the way… 

  ▲

▲▲

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #89 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

My mom is 51 and my dad is 53, actually. They were interested in the HD displays (1920x1200) more so than the processor. My dad is tech savvy so he is familiar with the processors, actually.

Well, I'm 69 and I'm tech savvy enough to know that a watt-guzzling CPU is needed when the software and OS is not optimized for minimizing battery drain. THIS is why desktop specs don't translate over to portable devices. Brute force is dead. Long live tight programming.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #90 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Of course it is. So USB isn't a standard because old computers don't have USB ports? So Thunderbolt isn't a standard because PCs don't have the drivers for it? By the way… 

  ▲

▲▲

You made my day.  lol.gif

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #91 of 116
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
You made my day.  lol.gif

 

Of course Huddler inserts line spacing after each paragraph, but it's close. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #92 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So Galaxy Tab sales have been quite smoother since the 1st qtr they were available.

 

Smooth as the silk of a conjurer's bag in a Vegas stage show.


Edited by hill60 - 8/10/12 at 2:14pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #93 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I would imagine if somebody were looking to purchase an Android tablets, they would have held off until the quad-core full HD tablets came out such as the Transformer Infinity.  My parents held off on tablet and phone purchases until the Galaxy SIII and Transformer Infinity came out.  Then again, as far as Android tablets go, Samsung's offerings are behind compared to their competitors.  Acer and ASUS have quad-core full HD tablets.

 

Nope they buy Amazon Kindle fires and Nexus 7's.

 

Quit trying to perpetuate the geeky "Android sells only high end" myth.

 

The fact is TouchWiz on low end hardware is "Android" for the majority.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #94 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ah, you don't have Mountain/Lion. They both add emoji, which I use in lieu of forum emoticons because 1. there's a far FAR wider array of them for more emotions and 2. we only have one working forum emoticon.

 

They're straight-up Unicode characters, so they should be showing up anywhere that knows what they are. But that's the problem with using a standard; not everything supports it.

 

1000

 

Cool.

 

 

 

🐶

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #95 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Somewhere out there, a US citizen and Samsung supporter who bought the Galaxy Tab at full price is reading this article and realising what a total fool he/she is.  :-)

 

Well, we know where nine (three each!) of those Galaxy Tabs went.

 

😉

post #96 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

You guys need to prof reed!

 

Murphy strikes again.

 

So which professor should "You guys" hire or did you mean "proof read"?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #97 of 116
The 37,000 figure only represents the unit of sales of "accused" tablets. Samsung also sells windows-based tablets which haven't been accused of infringing Apple's patents for example..

- IDC
post #98 of 116

The title says it all to me, Samsung lost

 

Thats all that really needs to be said, "they are nothing, they lost, they are losers!" (points if you know where that is from)

 

Whats funny is their numbers are so poor they aren't even qualified to have lost to apple in the tablet industry, its more like they lost to the Kindle/xoom/random DOA IPAD killer.

post #99 of 116

Your parents must not be Chinese.

 

The Chinese have soundly rejected Acer, Asus, and other Android tablets in favor of the Apple iPad which zoomed to 72.5% of the market in China in 2011. It is now clear no one in China wants cheap Taiwanese and Korean Android tablets.

 

"As per the survey conducted, it has been found that iPad accounts for 72.5% of China’s tablet market in 2011, while Lenovo Group Ltd. accounts for 4.7% and Samsung for 4.6% market shares."

 

http://themarketsareopen.blogspot.com/2012/07/apple-incnasdaqaapl-open-slightly-lower.html

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I would imagine if somebody were looking to purchase an Android tablets, they would have held off until the quad-core full HD tablets came out such as the Transformer Infinity.  My parents held off on tablet and phone purchases until the Galaxy SIII and Transformer Infinity came out.  Then again, as far as Android tablets go, Samsung's offerings are behind compared to their competitors.  Acer and ASUS have quad-core full HD tablets.

 

 

post #100 of 116

hmm, shocking indeed... however am I alone in not wanting the tablet industry to be dominated by Apple? Don't get me wrong, the new iPad is great, but if Apple maintains a monopoly on the sector I think its going to stifle innovation. When I see Apple dominating the sector year after year i see reason to worry, not celebrate.

post #101 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

hmm, shocking indeed... however am I alone in not wanting the tablet industry to be dominated by Apple? Don't get me wrong, the new iPad is great, but if Apple maintains a monopoly on the sector I think its going to stifle innovation. When I see Apple dominating the sector year after year i see reason to worry, not celebrate.

I don't think you know what "monpoly" means, but let's say for sake of argument you think it means "majority market share". You're worried about stagnation from a company that had a "monopoly" on its own markets: Mac and iPod? And yet Mac and iPod were innovative, kept changing annually over the past decade, staying fresh, and dropping in price, and even morphing into the iPod Touch which is more like the iPhone than a traditional iPod. Stop this "stifle innovation" nonsense. There will always be competitors/copiers trying to shoot Apple down from the top perch. This ain't Microsoft from the 90s where Microsoft got fat and uncompetitive in their dominant market position.
Edited by Suddenly Newton - 8/10/12 at 11:53pm

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #102 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I don't think you know what "monpoly" means, but let's say for sake of argument you think it means "majority market share". You're worried about stagnation from a company that had a "monopoly" on its own markets: Mac and iPod? And yet Mac and iPod were innovative, kept changing annually over the past decade, staying fresh, and dropping in price, and even morphing into the iPod Touch which is more like the iPhone than a traditional iPod. Stop this "stifle innovation" nonsense. There will always be competitors/copiers trying to shoot Apple down from the top perch. This ain't Microsoft from the 90s where Microsoft got fat and uncompetitive in their dominant market position.

lol, i'll ignore the candid condescending tone and address just the facts of what you've said. 

1. Apple does not have a good record in this respect. After the Apple II was a hit it continued being sold as Apple's primary product far into obsolesence. This happened after Steve Jobs left Apple in the 80's.

2. This stifle innovation "nonsense" applies to everyone, apple included. Consider things like copy and paste, the ability to download and use alternative browsers, Apple's upcoming maps application, all of these are products of competition with android, and they are better for it.

post #103 of 116
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
This stifle innovation "nonsense" applies to everyone, apple included. Consider things like copy and paste, the ability to download and use alternative browsers, Apple's upcoming maps application, all of these are products of competition with android, and they are better for it.

 

Nope. Try again with a real argument.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #104 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

hmm, shocking indeed... however am I alone in not wanting the tablet industry to be dominated by Apple? Don't get me wrong, the new iPad is great, but if Apple maintains a monopoly on the sector I think its going to stifle innovation. When I see Apple dominating the sector year after year i see reason to worry, not celebrate.

The Pad is Apple's idea.

There is no such thing a market for anything else similar to an iPad, that is stealing Apple's idea.

if you do not like that do not buy an iPad.

So far one out of nine Americans have bought an iPad from Apple. I do not see them complaining. It is strong testimony to Apple's attention to detail that over 90% of those are very satisfied with the Apple iPad, much higher than anything from the imitation world of stolen ideas using Android to rip Apple and loyal Americans off.
post #105 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ah, you don't have Mountain/Lion. They both add emoji, which I use in lieu of forum emoticons because 1. there's a far FAR wider array of them for more emotions and 2. we only have one working forum emoticon.

 

They're straight-up Unicode characters, so they should be showing up anywhere that knows what they are. But that's the problem with using a standard; not everything supports it.

 

1000

 They work on IE on windows phone but not IE on windows...

post #106 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Nope. Try again with a real argument.

I don't mind clarifying my stance, which part is the issue?

post #107 of 116
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
I don't mind clarifying my stance, which part is the issue?

 

Both the claim that Apple would not have added those features were it not for Android and the claim that Apple is attempting to create a monopoly or stifle actual innovations.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #108 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4phun View Post


The Pad is Apple's idea.
There is no such thing a market for anything else similar to an iPad, that is stealing Apple's idea.
if you do not like that do not buy an iPad.
So far one out of nine Americans have bought an iPad from Apple. I do not see them complaining. It is strong testimony to Apple's attention to detail that over 90% of those are very satisfied with the Apple iPad, much higher than anything from the imitation world of stolen ideas using Android to rip Apple and loyal Americans off.

According to this logic Aple committed copyright infringement by making a touchscreen phone seeing how other touch screen phones also existed. "iPad" is nothing more than a brand moniker, the product is a tablet, a concept which has been executed numerous times prior to the iPad. Indeed the iPad has done it well and this is why it sold, but its nonsense to say that anything resembling an iPad in any way is copyright infringement.

 

 

 

Furthermore, I don't understand what national loyalty has to do wih this conversation. Apple contracts the vast majority of its work overseas, and Zteve Jobs has personally told Obama that unless expected wages for the same work goes down dlmestically he refuses to bring operations stateside. Don't be fooled into thinking that Apple's concerns in anyway align with national goals unless those goals get Apple more money. At the end of the day, its a business.

post #109 of 116
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

…Zteve Jobs has personally told Obama that unless expected wages for the same work goes down domestically he refuses to bring operations stateside.

 

No, he said nothing of the sort. Unless you do mean "Zteve Jobs". Steve said nothing about "refusing" to do anything.


Don't be fooled into thinking that Apple's concerns in anyway align with national goals unless those goals get Apple more money. At the end of the day, its a business.

 

At the end of the day, Apple is more.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #110 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, he said nothing of the sort. Unless you do mean "Zteve Jobs". Steve said nothing about "refusing" to do anything.

At the end of the day, Apple is more.

Lol, on phone so sorry for the silly spelling mistakes, no need to get petty. In your own link you don't disprove me all it says that Jobs unambiguously states that these jobs are not coming back. The reason why they would not be coming back is because labor wages in the U S of A are much higher than in other places.

What precisely do you mean that at the end of he day Apple is more? They function as a retailer and producer of electronics that we at this forum use and enjoy. In exchange for those electronics we pay the company for services and products rendered. They manufacture their products overseas because it is cheaper, its par for the course. The only reason this was brought up was to show that Apple is no more nationalistic than The Gap, Nike, or Google.

Also I will respond to your other post but am at work right now and can't.
post #111 of 116
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
In your own link you don't disprove me all it says that Jobs unambiguously states that these jobs are not coming back.

 

Which isn't what you claimed, meaning you're disproven.

 

The reason why they would not be coming back is because labor wages in the U S of A are much higher than in other places.

 

This is your conjecture.

 

What precisely do you mean that at the end of he day Apple is more?
 

Than just a company looking out for profit.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #112 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which isn't what you claimed, meaning you're disproven.


This is your conjecture.

Than just a company looking out for profit.

...I'm really not sure what you are arguing anymore. Steve did in fact claim the jobs weren't coming back anymore, and because the particular article that you provided didn't explicitly say it was because of cost it means my argument is invalid?

That's the equivalent of me saying that wheels are round and you providing an article saying that they are not square. That they are round is therefore conjecture on my part and my entire argument is thus flawed?

I'm completely open to any other reason why manufacturing jobs are not hosted state side, and if you can provide a logical and credible one I'd gladly agree with you. Unfortunately that is not the case, and as a publicly traded company, Apple's primary responsibility is to its stock holders, not any other purpose that you might think.
post #113 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Both the claim that Apple would not have added those features were it not for Android and the claim that Apple is attempting to create a monopoly or stifle actual innovations.

 

Ok, I said I'd address the claims you say I made, and here goes.

 

1. Apple would not have added these features were it not for Android

 

I did not say this. I agree that the idea that features such as copy/paste or the ability to install other browsers could ONLY have happened due to Android's existence is absolutely ludicrous, however, I do think that Android's implementation of these features before Apple certainly prioritized them. Furthermore, in an attempt for each to differentiate one another, both have come up with phenomenal platform specific technologies that are now starting to migrate to the other. For example on Google's side you have amazing mapping implementation on Android, something that Apple is now trying to address in iOS 6. In contrast, Apple redefined how voice-phone interaction works with Siri, something that lit a fire under Google's a** to better in their ecosystem.

 

2. Apple is attempting to create a monopoly or stifle innovation

 

It is in any company's interest to create a monopoly. In creating a monopoly they ensure that they always remain relevant. As for "attempting to stifle innovation", of course I don't believe Apple is consciously trying to do this, yet it is a by-product of any monopoly that has ever happened. You believe that Apple is somehow different, that it is special. I sincerely hope I do get proved wrong, because I'm loving the consistent leaps and bounds we're making in telecommunications technology. The iPad has only been out for 3 generations (years) now, if it still maintains market dominance by 2020 and keeps the same spirit, I'll gladly say I was wrong. But I'm not holding my breath. 

post #114 of 116

34 million iPads? It's more popular than I thought.

post #115 of 116

Wow that's a lot, but what do most people use a tablet for? It's something that has always baffled me, unless millions of people have the extra dough laying around I guess. Who is an ipad really geared towards? If anyone in particular. 

post #116 of 116
Originally Posted by Shomari Malcolm View Post
Wow that's a lot, but what do most people use a tablet for? It's something that has always baffled me, unless millions of people have the extra dough laying around I guess. Who is an ipad really geared towards? If anyone in particular. 

 

… Seriously? The tablet is the every-computer. It'll kill laptops and redefine desktops. It's for everyone.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Internal sales documents show Samsung has lost the war for tablet supremacy in the US
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Internal sales documents show Samsung has lost the war for tablet supremacy in the US