or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Alleged next-gen iPhone logic board revealed in new photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alleged next-gen iPhone logic board revealed in new photos

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
New photos claiming to show the logic board of Apple's next generation iPhone hit the web on Sunday and, if legitimate, are some of the first images of functional circuitry for the much-rumored handset.

The images come from Chinese language forum WeiPhone.com (via Nowhereelse.fr) and appear to show a never-before-seen iPhone logic board with EMI shielding covering most of the internal components. The forum member who posted Sunday's images also outed the iPhone 4S' logic board last year.

Lending credence to the part's authenticity is the screw hole placement, which matches up to screw anchors seen on a recent gallery of images that combined a number of leaked external components to form a "fully assembled" handset. Nowhereelse.fr put together a brief gif animation showing how the holes and anchors align.

While the part fails reveal much information as far as the exact internal circuitry being used, the various connectors that are shown, as well as the basic layout, appear to be in line with previously leaked images of alleged sixth-generation iPhone flex cables and sensor arrays. Also of note is the logic board's shape, which eschews the "L" configuration of the iPhone 4S for a more rectangular solution. In previous iPhone iterations, the bottom of the "L" carried a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity chip.

Logic Board Front
Purported next-gen iPhone logic board. | Source: WeiPhone.com


In comparison to the current iPhone 4S, the logic board will retain its positioning on the right side of the handset. An interesting change from past iPhones is the monolithic EMI shielding on the board's underside, which in previous generations was split into two or three separate sections.

Logic Board Back
Source: WeiPhone.com


The unit's SIM card tray slot can just barely be seen, however it is not possible to make out whether the logic board will employ the Apple-backed nano-SIM standard recently ratified by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute. Photos of what is believed to be a nano-SIM tray bound for the next-gen iPhone surfaced less than a week ago.

Apple is expected to announce the new iPhone, which is rumored to sport a larger 4-inch screen and possible LTE connectivity, at an as-yet-unannounced special event on Sept. 12.
post #2 of 36

Pry those heatsinks off!

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #3 of 36
1) A couple things stand out to me. This board is dramatically shorter than the iPhone 4/4S boards. Now the phone is longer, but not by that much. I wonder if the difference in the main board will be made up by a daughter board that attaches to it to supply the various operating band and other components for LTE in multiple regions, much like the iPad has. That said, the slight curve at the one corner makes me think something round will go there. Perhaps the massive speaker and chamber rumoured for this device?

2) Yes, we all know Tim Cook said Apple was doubling down on security but that does not mean that there will be no leaks. There are millions of iPhone being made for the launch it only takes one component to be leaked to make it to the net.




(click image to see animated GIF)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pry those heatsinks off!

Exactly. The logic board is pretty much useless anyway without the other components, so might as well rip it open to show what's underneath.
post #5 of 36

'Bout the only thing we don't know fer sure is what Apple's a gonna call it.

 

One month and counting and I'll have one of these little wonder's in my hands or on order!!!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #6 of 36
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
'Bout the only thing we don't know fer sure is what Apple's a gonna call it.

 

10345

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Yes, we all know Tim Cook said Apple was doubling down on security but that does not mean that there will be no leaks. There are millions of iPhone being made for the launch it only takes one component to be leaked to make it to the net.
)

Does it really matter? Do you really think any of us here are saying "Please stop, no more leaks?"

We're Apple enthusiasts, not Apple employees, so the more leaks the merrier.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1000
(click image to see animated GIF)

The part in this image is reversed (upside down) so it can't actually match the holes unless the iPhone image is also inverted (but it probably is).  I'm not doubting the part's reality, just that it seems like an incorrect image.  

post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Does it really matter? Do you really think any of us here are saying "Please stop, no more leaks?"
We're Apple enthusiasts, not Apple employees, so the more leaks the merrier.

1) Yes, I find it annoying when people take something as mundane and "we're doubling down on security" and then decide it means that no leaks will ever happen. I also can't stand the use of Windoze, Samescum, Crapple, ANAL-yst, etc. Yes, I would like people to at least try to be original in their comments.

2) I have no idea how you would connect a statement from Cook that is repeated ad nauseum to mean that those posters don't want to read about the leaks. Clearly they have some interest if they are posting on a thread about said leak.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


Does it really matter? Do you really think any of us here are saying "Please stop, no more leaks?"
We're Apple enthusiasts, not Apple employees, so the more leaks the merrier.

 

Stop! No more leaks!

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


Exactly. The logic board is pretty much useless anyway without the other components, so might as well rip it open to show what's underneath.

 

I would think that parts are typically counted and watched very carefully at the factory.  Perhaps the thief has to return it intact in the morning so no one knows he stole it?   

post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Yes, I find it annoying when people take something as mundane and "we're doubling down on security" and then decide it means that no leaks will ever happen. I also can't stand the use of Windoze, Samescum, Crapple, ANAL-yst, etc. Yes, I would like people to at least try to be original in their comments.
2) I have no idea how you would connect a statement from Cook that is repeated ad nauseum to mean that those posters don't want to read about the leaks. Clearly they have some interest if they are posting on a thread about said leak.

My point was, I don't understand why anyone is arguing about Tim Cook's statements or bitching about people who are latching onto Cook's statements.

The fact of the matter is we have leaked photos to look at. Who cares how or why, just enjoy.

Also, just ignore the idiots.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My point was, I don't understand why anyone is arguing about Tim Cook's statements or bitching about people who are latching onto Cook's statements.
The fact of the matter is we have leaked photos to look at. Who cares how or why, just enjoy.
Also, just ignore the idiots.

When this story broke on MR first I read their comments. Big mistake! Their members just rub me the wrong way, hence my venting here as an addendum to my initial post. You're right, i shouldn't have said anything because it also detracts from the thread thus making me part of the problem.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I would think that parts are typically counted and watched very carefully at the factory.  Perhaps the thief has to return it intact in the morning so no one knows he stole it?   

Maybe this is one of many controlled leaks, to weed out the rats. But, with the amount of leaks lately, it definitely seems that Apple doesn't quite have all the holes patched up yet. I hope Tim is successful in the "doubling down." I empathize with the sense of betrayal to the company, and the practical damage that leaks can lead to. However, I also enjoy the Willy-Wonka-esque sense of mystery that comes from Apple.

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Maybe this is one of many controlled leaks, to weed out the rats. But, with the amount of leaks lately, it definitely seems that Apple doesn't quite have all the holes patched up yet. I hope Tim is successful in the "doubling down." I empathize with the sense of betrayal to the company, and the practical damage that leaks can lead to. However, I also enjoy the Willy-Wonka-esque sense of mystery that comes from Apple.

 

Well, the number and the accuracy rate of leaks & rumours has greatly increased this year.  Literally the only things we haven't seen is the actual camera part, close looks at individual chips, and maybe a daughter board to this one.  That's quite remarkable relative to previous leaks I think.  

 

Since most leaks come from the parts and repair folks or workers at the factories, I suppose it could be that they are "letting out the reins" this year so as to carefully track who is doing the leaking and then crack down on them next year.  It's also possible that they have some fantastic product like a levitating bubble car that drives itself or whatever, and are leaking the iPhone stuff to distract attention from it, but that seems kind of unlikely to me.  

 

I find the parts leaks interesting as well, but if I had to pick one or the other I would rather the leaks not happen really.  IMO it was so much better when Apple completely surprised us with a complete product that we had no idea existed until we saw it, and the wild (usually inaccurate), speculation that led up to it was more interesting as well.  

 

I guessed (correctly this time as it turns out), the complete design of this phone at least a month or two ago.  Everything since has been a sort of boring waiting game.  

 

Even the most educated guesses by some very smart people were completely wrong sometimes in the past.  Now it seems as if any idiot can figure out what they are doing weeks ahead of time.  It's all kind of dull to me now.  The few details we are missing are technical things that no one really cares about.  

post #16 of 36

What are the chances that, now with a larger case (albeit thinner), the big differentiator from competing devices will be a huge battery to make the new iPhone last a few hours longer than the 4S and many hours longer than anything else out there?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well, the number and the accuracy rate of leaks & rumours has greatly increased this year.
Perhaps it's because Apple used to announce new products with an actual release date weeks, if not months in the future. Now they have shortened the cycle with the availability of new products being immediately or at the most, a couple of weeks. When production is ramped up before the product is announced it increases the chances for leaked information and parts. Whereas before, photos of parts for an already announced product do not garner much attention.
Quote:
I find the parts leaks interesting as well, but if I had to pick one or the other I would rather the leaks not happen really.  IMO it was so much better when Apple completely surprised us with a complete product that we had no idea existed until we saw it, and the wild (usually inaccurate), speculation that led up to it was more interesting as well.
I definitely agree with you here. New product announcements were like Christmas morning, very special, almost magical. Leaks are kind of like seeing those Christmas presents in the back of the closet before they were wrapped - come Christmas morning the anticipation and excitement are not there.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #18 of 36
So we have the case, the connector, the motherboard and the sim tray. Just the display panel and a battery left and they can build a working iPhone. Maybe they can connect this motherboard to an iPhone 4S shell to see what it does.
post #19 of 36

All these parts we see now are not the real thing.

post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Does it really matter? Do you really think any of us here are saying "Please stop, no more leaks?"
We're Apple enthusiasts, not Apple employees, so the more leaks the merrier.

Speak for yourself.

I'm also an Apple shareholder and it's clear that the leaks help the competition. I'd just as soon see Apple track down the leakers and sue them into oblivion.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #21 of 36

We all know that Apple products are greater than the sum of the parts. Even if you had all of the parts to look at you wouldn't be able to know what it's going to be like to use and live with.

The iPhone4 parts were leaked but no one guessed about the antennas. The info on the iPad retina display was leaked but until you actually used one, you didn't really know what it was like.

 

I seriously doubt that Samsung etc find out about these parts from online blogs, I'm sure they have people that get these parts for them to look at and maybe it's them who pass it on to other sites.

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pry those heatsinks off!

Are you referring to the EMI shielding? Is it common to think of it also as heatsink? Serious questions.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Well, the number and the accuracy rate of leaks & rumours has greatly increased this year.  Literally the only things we haven't seen is the actual camera part, close looks at individual chips, and maybe a daughter board to this one.  That's quite remarkable relative to previous leaks I think.  

Kinda makes you wonder where the iPad mini parts are...

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Kinda makes you wonder where the iPad mini parts are...

Apple's not leaking those yet :)

 

 

/s

 

Good question tho.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 36
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post
All these parts we see now are not the real thing.

 

Do you mean that NOT all of the parts we're seeing are real, or are you covering your ears, shutting your eyes, and going, "lalalalalala" pretending that literally ALL of these parts aren't real?


Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Are you referring to the EMI shielding? Is it common to think of it also as heatsink? Serious questions.
 

Oh, is that what it is? Wouldn't it also operate as one?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

...
I definitely agree with you here. New product announcements were like Christmas morning, very special, almost magical. Leaks are kind of like seeing those Christmas presents in the back of the closet before they were wrapped - come Christmas morning the anticipation and excitement are not there.

 

I think this is the perfect analogy for what happens with Apple leaks.  

 

There was always a strong division between those that thought it was cool to search Mum and Dad's bedroom for Christmas presents, and those that wanted to be surprised and didn't think the search was a fair thing to do in the first place. The same psychology is at play here.  

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Kinda makes you wonder where the iPad mini parts are...

 

Good point.  (and nice sig)

post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... the slight curve at the one corner makes me think something round will go there. Perhaps the massive speaker and chamber rumoured for this device?

 

Seems most logical that this is where the variable speed asymmetrical blade fan will be. ;-)

post #29 of 36
The day Apple unveils the new iPhone we'll know everything about it. No emotions at all. And then dissapointings begins…
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #30 of 36
I really thing Apple should create some super-secret assembly HQ. These things must be stopped just right now.
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #31 of 36
Originally Posted by lvidal View Post
And then "dissapointings" begins…

 

Fixed.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, is that what it is? Wouldn't it also operate as one?

So, I know as little as you, but I would guess that the shield being screwed to the case makes the whole metal case into a heat sink, and a very effective one at that.

We will hear many complaints from those with delicate, basement-softened hands, like "my phone is getting really hot," just watch.
post #33 of 36

Wow, it's really phenomenal that we've shrunken computers to have mainboards that size.  I know it's an odd comment, but it's one of the first things I thought when I saw the pictures.

 

As for the name discussions, I would think that the new iPhone will just be called the 'new iPhone' like they did with the iPad.  The only problem with that name is when the you have 3 different models on the shelf in a couple years and you can't differentiate the models due to them all just being the 'iPhone'.  Maybe that's a problem no one will have.

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

Reply
post #34 of 36
the lack of similar leaks on iPad mini points to no iPad mini in Sept.
post #35 of 36
Originally Posted by gprovida View Post
the lack of similar leaks on iPad mini points to no iPad mini ever, for any reason.

 

Fixed. lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner7775 
Wow, it's really phenomenal that we've shrunken computers to have mainboards that size.  I know it's an odd comment, but it's one of the first things I thought when I saw the pictures.

It is amazing that they are all passively cooled too despite running at up to 1GHz. They weren't able to do this with a 450MHz G4 in a 7" Cube 12 years ago. I didn't think I'd see a 10" display running at 2048 x 1536 this soon either or at all tbh. I didn't think they'd target print quality with displays but of course it makes perfect sense that they would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner7775 
As for the name discussions, I would think that the new iPhone will just be called the 'new iPhone' like they did with the iPad.  The only problem with that name is when the you have 3 different models on the shelf in a couple years and you can't differentiate the models due to them all just being the 'iPhone'.  Maybe that's a problem no one will have.

Yes, I think it's a problem retailers will love. They will sell last year's models at a discount and people won't realise the difference.

It makes sense to avoid a name tag if this will be the last design they make but the 'new iPad' was only called that after they had settled on the design. This revision will be a new design so it might be the last one to get a new tag. It can be 4GS or 4W or anything that follows 4S. If they settle on the design, I'd expect the one after this one to just be called the new iPhone.

The phone design might keep changing for a while though. The iPad settled quite quickly because there's little room to improve it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Alleged next-gen iPhone logic board revealed in new photos