or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Next-gen iPhone orders to start Sept. 12 ahead of Sept. 21 U.S. launch, report says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen iPhone orders to start Sept. 12 ahead of Sept. 21 U.S. launch, report says

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
According to fresh inside information released on Monday, Apple will start taking pre-orders for its sixth-generation iPhone on Sept. 12 following a special event announcing the device, with U.S. shipments to commence on Sept. 21.

Previous reports pegged Sept. 12 as the date Apple plans to announce the next-generation iPhone, though the rumblings lacked details regarding a specific rollout timeline.

New information from iMore, one of the first to report on the Sept. 12 "special event," points to a pre-order round scheduled for the same day, with those units slated for U.S. shipment nine days later. The site goes on to say Apple will once again be employing a staggered international release, with the first wave set for the first week of October.

The site notes two separate sources provided the purported launch timeline, one who previously offered insight into the Sept. 12 special event, and another who has provided "accurate information in the past."

prototype 2


Monday's report lines up with Apple's traditional release schedule, though it seems the company will be more aggressive with the upcoming handset. When the iPhone 4S was announced on Oct. 4, 2011, pre-orders for the device commenced three days later ahead of shipments on Oct. 14. The first batch went to the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK, while other international markets followed by month's end. At the time, the iPhone 4S rollout was the fastest ever for Apple.

It was noted earlier on Monday that AT&T is planning on rolling out its network-specific versions of the next-gen iPhone in late September, lending further evidence to the iMore report.
post #2 of 48

$$$ at the ready.

post #3 of 48

30 days and counting!!!

 

I want one of these bad boys!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #4 of 48

Ready when you are.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #5 of 48

The more I think about it, the more 16:9 makes sense. (i) There is more room to display email/SMS text with the keyboard displayed. (ii) Airplay without mailboxing on an HDTV.

 

Any others?

post #6 of 48

SIRI im comming honey... i cant wait been holding on to my iphone 4 tool long .... & i hope the per orders go well 

post #7 of 48

yea i think 16:9 is the best choice

post #8 of 48
Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post
I heard that Sprint has a 6 month exclusive on the new iPhone 5... WTF?!?! This better be just a rumor!... It make since as Sprint did bet their company that the iPhone would revive the 3rd mobile US company and it would allow Apple a platform to basically customize to their needs... hmm interesting!!!

 

Complete and utter nonsense. Wherever you heard that, ignore it for the rest of eternity.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/13/12 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #9 of 48

I heard that Sprint has a 6 month exclusive on the new iPhone 5... WTF?!?! This better be just a rumor!... It make since as Sprint did bet their company that the iPhone would revive the 3rd mobile US company and it would allow Apple a platform to basically customize to their needs... hmm interesting!!!
 

post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

yea i think 16:9 is the best choice
And so? Why should it be?
post #11 of 48

I might be the only one, but I hope Apple announces an iPhone exclusively for pre-paid networks based on the 3GS, but with CDMA and GSM compatibility.

 

Sold for $199 contract free announced at the event and launched alongside the iPhone 5.

post #12 of 48
We can hope that the new 5 makes it to Wal-Marts Straight Talk $45 a month service. That would be great.
post #13 of 48
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
We can hope that the new 5 makes it to Wal-Marts Straight Talk $45 a month service. That would be great.

 

It won't. Fortunately, any unlocked iPhone can be used on that network right now, anyway.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #14 of 48

Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?  The iPhone 4s was the 5th iPhone.  It'll just be called iPhone (and referred to as a 2012 model), or they'll call it iPhone 6.

post #15 of 48
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?  The iPhone 4s was the 5th iPhone.  It'll just be called iPhone (and referred to as a 2012 model), or they'll call it iPhone 6.

 

No, you're wrong. Everyone in every grocery store line in the world knows for a fact that the 6th iPhone will be called "iPhone 5", so that's what Apple is forced to call it.

 

😫

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #16 of 48
Why do people care what the next phone is called? The 4S was the 5th generation but wasn't called iPhone 5. My guess is they'll do what they did with the iPad and just call it iPhone.
post #17 of 48

I'm so torn on this. That new body is gorgeous, but the longer screen is just ridiculous. When we said larger, we meant proportionally, not LONGER.

 

Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

post #18 of 48
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
When we said larger, we meant proportionally…

 

Speak for yourself.


Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

 

Because you (users) don't have a clue what you actually want.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I'm so torn on this. That new body is gorgeous, but the longer screen is just ridiculous. When we said larger, we meant proportionally, not LONGER.

 

Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Speak for yourself.

 

Because you (users) don't have a clue what you actually want.

 

What TS said.  If as rumored, more pixels, i.e., more real estate, an aspect ratio that has its advantages for some uses if not all (imagine that!), your thumb can still traverse the width, you don't need cargo pants to carry it, the screen will seem bigger to people checking it out, not a huge burden on developers from what I understand, Retina's maintained, it should be thinner, maybe even lighter, LTE, maybe NFC, new CPU, possibly more on-board storage AND at least the same battery life (we hope). 

 

I can understand ALL of that. With neither a degree in engineering or marketing.

 

And by every indication the 4s and 4 are still gonna be around - the 4s for a good long while at that......

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?  The iPhone 4s was the 5th iPhone.  It'll just be called iPhone (and referred to as a 2012 model), or they'll call it iPhone 6.

If they called the 5th iphone 4s they could call the 6th iphone 5... I personnaly thinks they will call it the new iphone but nobody knows really.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I'm so torn on this. That new body is gorgeous, but the longer screen is just ridiculous. When we said larger, we meant proportionally, not LONGER.

 

Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

 

You don't need to understand it. Apple's success speaks for itself, which means they have a far better idea of what they're doing and what people want than you do. Also, nerds on Apple messageboards does not equal 'users'. The majority opinion on this board has proven time and time again to be completely wrong and at odds with the feelings of the general public. Also, you've never tried a longer iPhone, have nothing to compare it to, and you have no idea how it feels or if its better or worse. Why not let people judge for themselves when it comes out? I'm glad Apple is continuing to do their own thing, cause their own thing usually works better than anyone else's thing. 

post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

Thanks for the good laugh! lol.gif

post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The more I think about it, the more 16:9 makes sense. (i) There is more room to display email/SMS text with the keyboard displayed. (ii) Airplay without mailboxing on an HDTV.

Any others?

I disagree. Landscape mode on the iPhone is already too stretched; there is no useable screen left when typing.

Won't keep me from buying it, but I think I would have preferred wider.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post


I disagree. Landscape mode on the iPhone is already too stretched; there is no useable screen left when typing.
Won't keep me from buying it, but I think I would have preferred wider.

 

Many people (like me) couldn't care less about this, as I never, ever use landscape mode outside of watching a video clip/viewing photos. 

post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

.

And by every indication the 4s and 4 are still gonna be around - the 4s for a good long while at that......
What indication?

The 3GS will run iOS 6, so it will be around another year.

IPhone 4 will be dropped and replaced across the board by the 4S.

The iPhone 4 is not one phone it's two - GSM & CDMA. Makes more sense just to kill it and make one 4S for everybody. The 3GS is too cheap not to offer as the free phone, pre-paid, with worldwide compatibility, and Apple needs a non-retina option to justify the price spread. And Apple doesn't want to give away a phone that people are gonna want to hang onto ... They want a tease to get people to upgrade.
post #26 of 48
In a tablet, 16:9 is lame and awkward. In the palm of your hand, it may be irresistible. Has there ever been one? I don't think so. People may go crazy over this slick little brick. Not to mention it will be far better for doing side-by-side 3D with a viewer than the previous screen aspect. And much better for regular widescreen movies as well, of course.
post #27 of 48
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
The 3GS will run iOS 6, so it will be around another year.

 

What? No… It gets iOS 6 (with next to zero features) because it's still being sold. There is no reason to expect it to continue to be sold FOUR YEARS after its introduction, and that would mean it also gets iOS 7, because people could buy a 3GS the day before the 7th iPhone comes out and be stuck unable to update. Which according to your logic means it will stay around FIVE YEARS after its introduction, and that would mean it also gets iOS 8, because people could buy a 3GS the day before the 8th iPhone comes out and be stuck unable to update. Which according to your logic means it will stay around SIX YEARS after its introduction, and that would mean it also gets iOS 9, because people could buy a 3GS the day before the 9th iPhone…


You see?

 

iPhone: iPhone OS 1, 2, 3.

iPod touch: iPhone OS 1, 2, 3.

iPhone 3G: iPhone OS 2, 3, iOS 4.

2nd-gen iPod touch: iPhone OS 2, 3, iOS 4.

iPhone 3GS: iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5, 6. (only one that yet breaks the pattern of three)

3nd-gen iPod touch: iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5.

iPad: iPhone OS 3, iOS 4, 5.

iPhone 4: iOS 4, 5, 6.

4th gen iPod touch: iOS 4, 5, 6.

iPad 2: iOS 4, 5, 6.

————————————

iPhone 4S: iOS 5, 6… 

iPad 3: iOS 5, 6… 

6th gen iPhone: iOS 6…

 


Originally Posted by diplication View Post
WTF? Your reply is listed above the original post. Any guesses on lotto picks?
 

He accidentally made a new thread with that post (despite my very not visible and not brightly colored signature to deter people from making that slip-up, and I replied to it there. I simply moved my post from that thread to the proper one once I saw that he had corrected his error, but that was, of course, at a later time.

 

But yes, this time was on purpose. lol.gif


Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/13/12 at 9:44pm

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 48
Put me down for two, one for me, one for the wife. I would buy whatever the next model is because I'm due upgrades, and because I want Siri. For me Siri would be so useful for texting and making reminders (using a Bluetooth headset). Additionally a better camera would be a bonus. 4G would be nice, but 3G data is sufficient for my needs. The only deal breaker would be battery life. My iPhone 4 lasts all day, but a significantly shorter battery life would not be acceptable. Your mileage may vary...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Complete and utter nonsense. Wherever you heard that, ignore it for the rest of eternity.
WTF? Your reply is listed above the original post. Any guesses on lotto picks?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Put me down for two, one for me, one for the wife. I would buy whatever the next model is because I'm due upgrades, and because I want Siri. For me Siri would be so useful for texting and making reminders (using a Bluetooth headset). Additionally a better camera would be a bonus. 4G would be nice, but 3G data is sufficient for my needs. The only deal breaker would be battery life. My iPhone 4 lasts all day, but a significantly shorter battery life would not be acceptable. Your mileage may vary...

 

A better camera and 4G are pretty much guaranteed. I think the camera will be epic, considering how good the 4S one is. The next iPhone will finally replace my point and shoot for good. 

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?  The iPhone 4s was the 5th iPhone.  It'll just be called iPhone (and referred to as a 2012 model), or they'll call it iPhone 6.

Why do people keep making this point as though it has never been said?

While perhaps true, the fact that you always have to explain "6" to people and never have to explain 4 or 5 no matter what you think it is, it just fails. Your reason is like having to explain the punch line of a joke. The minute you need to, the joke is over and is now unfunny.

It will be called the 5 or simply the "new" iPhone. Period. Why? Because Apple can name it what ever they want to. That is why.
post #32 of 48

Is it me? Or does it seem that the leaks have more staying power and less Apple response this time than with the iPhone 4 and 4S?  

post #33 of 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadd View Post

Is it me? Or does it seem that the leaks have more staying power and less Apple response this time than with the iPhone 4 and 4S?  

 

Public response by Apple confirms the leak. They been avoiding it more and more over the years.  I bet they're still doing everything they can to track down the sources of the leaked parts, though, just privately.

 

Maybe they need to start "leaking" failed prototypes?  That would confuse the hell out of everyone lol.

 

EDIT: even better, leak prototypes with subtle but fatal flaws.  With any luck Samsung will copy them :P

post #34 of 48

I am not going to be in the U.S. when the new iPhone comes out, but I would like to buy it with a AT&T two-year contract to take advantage of the cheaper price. Do you guys think it will be hard to unlock it so that I can use it in the UK since I will be there for a couple months?

post #35 of 48
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post
It will be called the 5 or simply the "new" iPhone. Period.

 

Nope, it will be "the new iPhone". "5" is, was, and will always be abject nonsense.


Originally Posted by tadd View Post
Is it me? Or does it seem that the leaks have more staying power and less Apple response this time than with the iPhone 4 and 4S?  

 

Apple has not publicly responded to a leak for over three years. Apple has not publicly responded to a theft for two years.


Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post
I am not going to be in the U.S. when the new iPhone comes out, but I would like to buy it with a AT&T two-year contract to take advantage of the cheaper price. Do you guys think it will be hard to unlock it so that I can use it in the UK since I will be there for a couple months?

 

There is no "cheaper price". You are not taking advantage of anything. You pay for the phone. You pay $30 for activation. You pay $60 for your first month of service. You pay $325 for the early termination fee. 

It winds up being the same price as an unlocked iPhone. You need to just buy that, because there won't be an unlock for a year or more.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

There is no "cheaper price". You are not taking advantage of anything. You pay for the phone. You pay $30 for activation. You pay $60 for your first month of service. You pay $325 for the early termination fee. 

It winds up being the same price as an unlocked iPhone. You need to just buy that, because there won't be an unlock for a year or more.

I called AT&T and they said that I am eligible to buy the iPhone at the discounted price, so I guess I won't have to pay the early termination fee...

 

When you said there won't be an unlock for a year or more, do you mean there's going to be no way to unlock the new iPhone for the first year that it is released?

post #37 of 48
Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post
I called AT&T and they said that I am eligible to buy the iPhone at the discounted price, so I guess I won't have to pay the early termination fee...

 

No, the 'discounted price' is the price that you see right now on the Apple Store. $199. Unless you get an "upgrade" from your telecom, you CANNOT buy the device at that price if you're already with that telecom (total crap, I know). You will be paying an ETF, that's for DANG sure, otherwise you'll enjoy paying for two years of AT&T service even when you're outside the country.

 

And you'll be paying for at LEAST that first month of service and keeping the phone for 30 days before canceling and paying the ETF, otherwise you're ordered to give the phone back.


When you said there won't be an unlock for a year or more, do you mean there's going to be no way to unlock the new iPhone for the first year that it is released?

 

Right, that's for a jailbroken unlock; I imagine the pre-unlocked version OF the 6th iPhone will be available for purchase shortly after (or with) the launch of the locked model. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, the 'discounted price' is the price that you see right now on the Apple Store. $199. Unless you get an "upgrade" from your telecom, you CANNOT buy the device at that price if you're already with that telecom (total crap, I know). You will be paying an ETF, that's for DANG sure, otherwise you'll enjoy paying for two years of AT&T service even when you're outside the country.

 

And you'll be paying for at LEAST that first month of service and keeping the phone for 30 days before canceling and paying the ETF, otherwise you're ordered to give the phone back.

 

Right, that's for a jailbroken unlock; I imagine the pre-unlocked version OF the 6th iPhone will be available for purchase shortly after (or with) the launch of the locked model. 

 


I called AT&T again and they said that I am eligible for an upgrade, and eligible to buy the iphone at $199. Also, I am only going to be out of the country for a couple months, so I am not going to cancel my contract, so I won't have to pay the ETF.

 

So if I buy the locked iPhone, is there no way at all I can unlock it for the first year or so?


Edited by crazi4apple - 8/14/12 at 9:51am
post #39 of 48
What exactly do we think this iPhone will update feature-wise to compell an upgrade?

So far the only major changes I see are a 16:9 screen (mostly gamers and movie watchers will appreciate), a more durable rear case, and a new dock connector -- which is only going to force a significant re-investment in many accessories, and/or constant hedache of adapter swapping for use of an accessory with other legacy iDevices.

So what's left? What is my incentive to upgrade over my current iPhone 4 or 4S?

Faster processor -- the 4 & 4S are plenty fast (unless iOS 6 bogs them down, as is typical)
Better Camera -- again the 4 & 4S rival most point and shoots by the average user
NFC chip -- if true, there would be an actual need by the user, and wide-spread implementation by businesses to make it worthwhile (and that's just not the case)
True 4G LTE -- while this is likely, it doesn't do much good for those in areas that don't have availability (which is most of the US at this point), nor those who don't rely on heavy data usage.

So what else?

I'm just not seeing anything compelling here. Then again, I held onto my original iPhone even after the 3GS came out because it still didn't address my base need for a faster processor, and the core functionality was adequate. But the changes between the 4 and the new iPhone seem so marginal that I just don't see the need. I'm starting to think my 3-year upgrade philosophy for iPhones is he way to go. Unless Apple surprises us with that "one more thing" that blows my socks off, I don't see upgrading again until the 2013 model.
post #40 of 48
Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post
Also, I am only going to be out of the country for a couple months, so I am not going to cancel my contract, so I won't have to pay the ETF.

 

So you're fine with paying AT&T hundreds of dollars for service you cannot and will not be using?


So if I buy the locked iPhone, is there no way at all I can unlock it for the first year or so?

 

I dunno. It has varied depending on the model. There's not an iPhone 4S unlock yet.


Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
(and that's just not the case)

 

There were certainly a ton of USB accessories before Apple implemented the port.


This isn't chicken and egg. Something has to come first, and that something is the client-side hardware. Heck, I doubt it's a dedicated chip at all.


So what else? I'm just not seeing anything compelling here.

 

You've taken every single compelling feature and marginalized it. Looks like you shouldn't be bothering with an iPhone at all. Head on over to Android where there are zero features, compelling or otherwise, between models to upgrade, then.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Next-gen iPhone orders to start Sept. 12 ahead of Sept. 21 U.S. launch, report says