or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff

Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff

post #1 of 86
A number of alleged first-hand reports from Apple Store employees point to significant layoffs of recently-hired retail staff, while part-time employees are seeing shorter working hours.

Apple Store employees reached out to MacRumors over the past weeks, saying recent hires are being laid off in the U.K. and a select number of locations around the world.

Adding to the layoffs are reports coming out of the U.S. and Canada that part time staff are seeing long-term cutbacks in hours.

One report from a store in the U.K. claims that all employees with less than six months of experience have been laid off, including a handful of staff who just finished training. New hires and store transfers have also been put on hold, while a source at a different U.K. store said three training groups were laid off this past week.

A report from an unnamed Apple Store noted a similar situation where a batch of new hires had just been laid off, adding that a number of recently-promoted veteran employees had been bumped back down to their original positions without ever receiving the promised pay increases.

While the widespread layoffs have yet to be reported in North American Apple Stores, part-time employees in the U.S. and Canada are facing drastic cuts to working time, with some seeing draw downs to zero hours. In a move seemingly intended to shift hours away from part-time staff, one location has purportedly cut several hundred part-time hours per week and is now limiting vacation time for full-time employees.

Apple Store Staff

Apple's handling of its retail store staff was recently profiled in a New York Times piece in June, which noted employees have "enjoyed little" of the company's great financial success. It was also reported in June that some Apple Store employees would be getting up to a 25 percent wages increase after an internal review found staff to be frustrated with their current pay.
post #2 of 86

"The economy has finally caught up with Apple. Apple is doomed."

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 86
Wait, so you're telling me that the uk may have had a temporary need for a lot of employees that has just passed? No way, I find that hard to believe. What could cause such a phenomenon?
post #4 of 86

What's the real story here?  This story is like reporting the arrival of firetrucks when the real story is the fire.  Talk about poor reporting.

post #5 of 86

Clearly . . .

Apple is doomed.

post #6 of 86

Axing staff prior to what will surely be the biggest product release in Apple history seems particularly odd.

post #7 of 86
So the source for this is people emailing MacRumors? Seems a little thin to me. But no doubt ever Apple and tech related site will report it.
post #8 of 86

Sounds like a phony story by someone intending to short AAPL stock. Keep this up and the SEC might want to have a little chat.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 86

Word about Google afterlife+ survivor benefits have stunned Apple into corporate competition.  They will do the same thing with the release of iPhone 5, new Macs, TVever, but only with full-time employees.  

post #10 of 86

Well people were clamoring for pay raises and this looks to be the result. Pay goes up 25% part time hours and staff go down 25%.

Apple has to keep up with insane investor estimates for profit and we can see where the cuts are going to start

post #11 of 86

What is it, exactly, you, and all those employees (who were informed) don't understand about, "part time, temporary"? LOL

post #12 of 86

I think if anything, they may be trying to do away with part time employees in favor of those who maintain a full time schedule.

post #13 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wait, so you're telling me that the uk may have had a temporary need for a lot of employees that has just passed? No way, I find that hard to believe. What could cause such a phenomenon?

It was the London Olympics, not the UK Olympics. And shops actually saw a drop-off in sales in London.

Can't see why Apple are getting rid of these staff. Apple stores are always packed in the UK.

post #14 of 86
Quote:

I'm kind of wondering that myself. Seasonal requirements can be handled by hiring large numbers of temporary/seasonal staff. It doesn't seem like that was the case here. Something must have changed their predictions in the assessment of their staffing requirements.

post #15 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Clearly . . .

Apple is doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"The economy has finally caught up with Apple. Apple is doomed."

This kind of knee-jerk defensive responses does not really serve a purposeful discussion. Obviously no one believes Apple is doomed (please don't cite links to articles that state otherwise because we all know they are simply baiting Apple believers). But it is interesting that a company renowned for logistics is not managing its hiring more effectively.

post #16 of 86
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Obviously no one believes Apple is doomed…

Oh, you're sure about that, are you?

post #17 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It was the London Olympics, not the UK Olympics. And shops actually saw a drop-off in sales in London.

Can't see why Apple are getting rid of these staff. Apple stores are always packed in the UK.

Actually. It's quite puzzling since they clearly are very good at supply chain management. By deduction, they should know their supply/demand/distribution well enough to plan hiring very accurately.

post #18 of 86
Quote:

Oh, you're sure about that, are you?

Ok. So some people do. But is that really an important issue? Is that really the point here?

post #19 of 86

It could also be a reaction to reduced/revised economic improvement forecasts in the UK. Even if the flag ship stores like Regent St or Covent Garden are frequently very full that does not always mean high sales numbers.

But we should see how this develops as this may well be the (ex-)employee's perspective only and rumours/speculation can spread like wild-fire amongst a knit group who may have all started at the same time.

post #20 of 86

It could be a seasonal adjustment or John Browett's new strategy coming into play.

post #21 of 86
Who cares.
post #22 of 86
Ok. So some people do. But is that really an important issue? Is that really the point here?

It is always the point. Anything short of $50 billion quarters is grounds for doom from some of the idiots here. All hints of "failure" such as this are just fuel for the fire. We like to mock that at every turn.

post #23 of 86
Quote:

But it is interesting that a company renowned for logistics is not managing its hiring more effectively.
What evidence are you basing this on? Without all the facts it seems this is a knee-jerk reaction,
post #24 of 86
Quote:

It is always the point. Anything short of $50 billion quarters is grounds for doom from some of the idiots here. All hints of "failure" such as this are just fuel for the fire. We like to mock that at every turn.

*You* like to mock that at every turn. Please don't speak for everyone. I did not say Apple was doomed. Nor do I care if someone does. I am simply intrigued about an issue that, IMO, is not related to Apple's long term future.

Your obsession with mocking any perceived slight on Apple diminishes your otherwise and sometimes perceptive posts.

post #25 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What evidence are you basing this on? Without all the facts it seems this is a knee-jerk reaction,
post #26 of 86

Your obsession with mocking any perceived slight on Apple diminishes your otherwise and sometimes perceptive posts.

The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

post #27 of 86
Quote:

People reacting to odd news with a "well that's kind of weird," response is a far cry from OMG APPLE BE DOOMED!! LOLZ!!

But kneejerk overreacting is sort of your thing when it comes to defending Apple, so pointing this out is most likely a waste of time.

post #28 of 86
Quote:

The most likely explanation is that a decision has been made to give fewer employees longer/more hours, thus less employees needed overall.  

I think this is something the employees were complaining about earlier this year isn't it?  

post #29 of 86
Quote:

The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

Your choice. Too bad.

post #30 of 86
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

But kneejerk overreacting is sort of your thing when it comes to defending Apple, so pointing this out is most likely a waste of time.

And being a troll is sort of your thing, so paying attention to what you say is certainly a waste of time.

post #31 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Who cares.

Then why post a comment if that's your assessment? Such responses just puts your level of intellect right out there for everyone to see.

post #32 of 86
Quote:

Your choice. Too bad.

'Apple is doomed' is on par with 'Safari is Snappier '... if you'd read this blog for many years you'd see it isn't meant all that seriously, in fact it's a running joke. I seem to recall 'Apple is doomed' was a ™ of Tskil / smile
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #33 of 86
Let's hope this. It the Dixon / Curry's effect.
post #34 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like a phony story by someone intending to short AAPL stock. Keep this up and the SEC might want to have a little chat.

Yeah it does. It seems like a very thing all around.

I do like that AI choose a pic of Apple retail employees with red shirts. "He's dead, Tim."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I think if anything, they may be trying to do away with part time employees in favor of those who maintain a full time schedule.

I doubt that.  Full timers cost more.  They get higher wages and benefits.

post #36 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That is only partially true.  Many events were held throughout the UK - from the south coast up to Scotland.  The fact that shops in London saw a drop off in sales was wholly unexpected.

post #37 of 86

I would imagine those who were axed were not of the Genius classification.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #38 of 86
Quote:

This kind of knee-jerk defensive responses does not really serve a purposeful discussion. Obviously no one believes Apple is doomed (please don't cite links to articles that state otherwise because we all know they are simply baiting Apple believers). But it is interesting that a company renowned for logistics is not managing its hiring more effectively.

You are taking this as a fact. This is just a rumor. It doesn't make any sense that Apple just hired people to fire them. If this is true then we would have heard about some top executive who is responsible for this being fired first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

'Apple is doomed' is on par with 'Safari is Snappier '... if you'd read this blog for many years you'd see it isn't meant all that seriously, in fact it's a running joke. I seem to recall 'Apple is doomed' was a ™ of Tskil / smile

I trademarked it first "Apple is Doomed!™

😉

post #39 of 86
Hmmm slow down in summer predicted by Apple Q3 report so it's "rational," but is it right? Apple stores cache is based on personal service very dangerous slippery slope.

Is the risk in service and the consequences really worth the chunk change saved - new management?
post #40 of 86
Still waiting for MacRumors to source their information. Who have they been hearing from? What stores is this supposedly occurring at?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff