or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff

Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff - Page 2

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This kind of knee-jerk defensive responses does not really serve a purposeful discussion. 

I've given this a lot of thought over the past two minutes, and I think they do.

post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I've given this a lot of thought over the past two minutes, and I think they do.

:) +1

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It was the London Olympics, not the UK Olympics. And shops actually saw a drop-off in sales in London.

Can't see why Apple are getting rid of these staff. Apple stores are always packed in the UK.

If the London Olympics opening or closing ceremonies are any indicator of the organizational abilities or work ethic of Londoners, I'd recommend firing the lot of them.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #44 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You are taking this as a fact. This is just a rumor. It doesn't make any sense that Apple just hired people to fire them. If this is true then we would have heard about some top executive who is responsible for this being fired first.

I trademarked it first "Apple is Doomed!™

😉

Sorreeeee
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post

It could be a seasonal adjustment or John Browett's new strategy coming into play.

That's an interesting comment! The new VP has one chance to put his imprint on the Apple stores. It's called "new blood".
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #46 of 86

Apple's greed is reaching a new level. They make about $60 billion a year in profits yet want to save a small amount of about $1-2 million by laying off minimum wage retail employees. This is sad. 

post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Axing staff prior to what will surely be the biggest product release in Apple history seems particularly odd.

It's a classic move in retail for 4th quarter fiscal to have less hours so this isn't a shock to me.

My guess is that many of them were axed do much as told they wouldn't be promised hours every week or even anything more than 3 or 4 depending on state rules about minimum shift times. So they quit rather than keep time open for a job that might not use them.

I will say that is what thing we do right in the industry. If the production wants you to hold availability for them they have to pay you whether they use you or not, especially with tv shows. A one day actor can end up paid for 7-8 days because they don't know what day thy need the person.
post #48 of 86

I'm afraid not enough people have mentioned that....

APPLE IS   D-O-O-M!

There. Someone had to say it for the third time.

Edited by Relefunt - 8/13/12 at 8:11pm
post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Apple's greed is reaching a new level. They make about $60 billion a year in profits yet want to save a small amount of about $1-2 million by laying off minimum wage retail employees. This is sad. 

What makes you an expert? They are running a business, just like any other. Their obligation to shareholders is to make a profit. Furthermore, such an idiotic comment fails to take into account that this is a rumor! If you are going to be posting here newbie, try to use some common sense.

post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wait, so you're telling me that the uk may have had a temporary need for a lot of employees that has just passed?

Yep there is that also.
post #51 of 86
Quote:

Actually. It's quite puzzling since they clearly are very good at supply chain management. By deduction, they should know their supply/demand/distribution well enough to plan hiring very accurately.

A massive influx of expected traffic due to an event that has never been to the area, nor anything close to that amount, isn't something Apple is likely to have data concerning with which to base predictions on.
post #52 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It was the London Olympics, not the UK Olympics. And shops actually saw a drop-off in sales in London.

Folks coming to see the Olympucs might travel the country a bit before or after. Why not since you are there

And the drop off might be why any seasons arent being kept. They hired expecting 1000% more traffic and only got 200% more. And with the Olympics wrapping up Apple doesn't need all of them and can't afford to keep them. That could be all that is going on here
post #53 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

FWIW, I'm in favor of banning trolls with prejudice. 1biggrin.gif

If folks would put them on ignore and stop quoting them etc, it wouldn't matter if they were banned or not.
post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I doubt that.  Full timers cost more.  They get higher wages and benefits.

Point taken, but part timers are also harder to train and schedule, and may not have the same dedication to Apple if they are balancing demands of other jobs. There also is the possibility that Apple has found that much like in trauma surgery or many other fields, the best practitioners are those who practice their craft the most. Someone who deals with Apple products for 40+ hours a week will be more adept than one who deals with them for 20 or less. I also seem to remember an article where part timers were complaining that Apple retail was forcing them to work too much. They might have decided that it was not worth the trouble. On the other hand, I am sure that there are many employees (college students, parents, etc.) who were excellent in a part time capacity and it will be a shame for Apple to lose such high quality people.
post #55 of 86
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
If folks would put them on ignore and stop quoting them etc, it wouldn't matter if they were banned or not.

It would matter to non-account guests who would read their posts, see them not be questioned, and think that what they're saying is being accepted by the community as accurate or acceptable in any way.

There's one vBulletin feature we miss more than any other that relates to this… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #56 of 86
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Yep intolerant rabid fanaticism knows no moderation. Anyone who has an open mind to consider more than one side of an argument is labeled a hieratic and should be banned.

Yep. I actually have that written on my chest in reverse, Memento-style, so that it's the first thing I see when I wake up (my entire bedroom is nothing but mirrors; helps me know that there's only me and my opinions).

… And now I genuinely want to know what happens when you turn on a flashlight inside a mirror box.

post #57 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

Fair criticism of Apple /= "Trolling." That you can't see the difference is an issue in and of itself.

post #58 of 86

Guess there won't be that many Apple Geniuses available on airplanes anymore...

post #59 of 86
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
Fair criticism of Apple /= "Trolling." That you can't see the difference is an issue in and of itself.

I'd rather live in a world where trolling can exist, unlike what you're laughably suggesting.

post #60 of 86
Quote:

"The economy has finally caught up with Apple. Apple is doomed."

John Browett has finally caught up with Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #61 of 86

Doom has been Appled.

News at 11.

post #62 of 86
Quote:

It would matter to non-account guests who would read their posts, see them not be questioned, and think that what they're saying is being accepted by the community as accurate or acceptable in any way.

There's one vBulletin feature we miss more than any other that relates to this… 

What feature? Down voting?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 86

Not surprised.

When I went to my nearby Apple Store about a month ago, it's afternoon on Sat, and guess what, at most 30-40% of the staff were serving customers, while the rest were just standing there chatting.

It's a good time to contain cost for AAPL, can't afford another earning miss.

post #64 of 86
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
If the London Olympics opening or closing ceremonies are any indicator of the organizational abilities or work ethic of Londoners, I'd recommend firing the lot of them.

So Apple should fire the whole lot of Londoners including a certain Sir Jonathan Ive?

Whatever ignominy you suffered at the London Olympics doesn't justify your sweeping statement any more than it's acceptable for me to say fire all women or worse.

post #65 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do like that AI choose a pic of Apple retail employees with red shirts. "He's dead, Tim."
I thought the EXACT same thing!

"Set phasers to 'Apple is doomed'..."
post #66 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

John Browett has finally caught up with Apple.

He has someone to answer to. 

post #67 of 86

This is wrong on Apple's part to do this by letting people go and not caring about their jobs at all. A typical corporation only giving a dam about the money they make. Corporate Capitalists!

post #68 of 86
Quote:

Ok. So some people do. But is that really an important issue? Is that really the point here?

Shhhh, some people have to talk to feel important.  Facts about the economy, poor hiring practices or other worthy subjects are not important.

post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

You do realize that some people base their whole worthiness on the success of a company they have nothing to do with?  To be critical of said company is a direct attack on them so they must respond.

post #70 of 86
Why is this considered a rumor? Why would it be unusual for Apple to lay off staff, every company has laid off staff in the past year or so. I didn't think such a practice would be considers odd if Apple were to do it.
post #71 of 86

What kind of bullsh!t reporting is this? Rumor mill crap is all it is. WTF are your sources? I'm going to LMAO when Apple turns their attention to rags like this. You can go in to either of our local Apple stores just about any time and find standing room only. I am friends with several of the employees(part and full time) at both stores and have heard absolutely nothing like this. In fact a couple of my friends working part time are complaining about their hours being increased to the point it is interfering with their college classes.

Quit putting crap on the front page and perpetuating rumors that waste our time. Apple Insider my A$$!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

iDevice and Mac Lover

Rob Bond - Cary, NC USA - 25 Year Retired Navy Photographer

4th Gen iPod Touch 64gb iOS5.1.1/New iPad 4G LTE 64gb iOS5.1.1/Mac mini 2.7GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8/2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8/Win7

Edited by bondr006 - 8/14/12 at 10:53am
post #72 of 86
Quote:

Folks coming to see the Olympucs might travel the country a bit before or after. Why not since you are there
And the drop off might be why any seasons arent being kept. They hired expecting 1000% more traffic and only got 200% more. And with the Olympics wrapping up Apple doesn't need all of them and can't afford to keep them. That could be all that is going on here

Given this is a rumor (I assume that is still the case) I don't want to get in too deep in this .... but given the UK's tax level on goods I doubt Apple would see their Apple Stores as being massively attractive to visitors to the Olympics. Unlike when UK folks get to visit the States ... where an additional empty suitcase is a very good idea to fill with goods to take back from the USA.
post #73 of 86
Quote:

If this is the case, I sure hope Apple made it clear to these people that the work was seasonal before Apple hired them...

And why fire them now? The Paralympics haven't taken place and the numbers of visitors won't be that far down from the Olympics. 

post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why is this considered a rumor? Why would it be unusual for Apple to lay off staff, every company has laid off staff in the past year or so. I didn't think such a practice would be considers odd if Apple were to do it.
Because it is a rumor with no named sources? I mean it's not like Google who publicly announced 4K were being layed off from Motorola.
post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

This is wrong on Apple's part to do this by letting people go and not caring about their jobs at all. A typical corporation only giving a dam about the money they make. Corporate Capitalists!

You obviously don't know the first thing about running a business. Sheesh.
post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Corporate Capitalists!

It's neither right nor wrong. It isn't Apple's job to "care about their jobs" (it's, at most, the government's.) Whatever's in the contract. That's all anyone has to answer to. 

It's a JOB. WORK. When human capital is for whatever reason no longer required to do that work, either not at all or in lesser amounts, something very common and very normal happens. 

Besides, it's RETAIL. That alone tells the entire story. 

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Corporate Capitalists!

Be sure to thank them for your Mac Mini. They kinda made it possible for you to post your fluff on the internet. 

post #77 of 86

The only part of this story that I think is worth discussing is that Apple is laying off newly trained staff. I'm not sure what Apple's training is like, but in most businesses training someone just to have them leave is a big deal. Apple got zero productivity out of these trainees, and the capital tied to them is lost.

post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You do realize that some people base their whole worthiness on the success of a company they have nothing to do with?  To be critical of said company is a direct attack on them so they must respond.

There's much truth in this.

post #79 of 86

FWIW Guys... in case you all just read the news in the USA  :)

As of last Christmas 2011...

"Weakening economies and falling prices of rival smartphones are hurting sales of Apple iPhones across Europe, data from research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech showed on Thursday...

In part, the European sales of the expensive Apple model were hit by weakening economies across the continent. However, in France its share slipped to 20 percent from 29 percent and in Germany to 22 percent from 27 percent. Similar drops were seen in Italy and Spain..."

As of Jul 12...
In Spain a whopping 84.1% of smartphones sold were running Android. The lowest sales were in Italy which still saw 49.6% sales. In every other country mentioned above, Android smartphone sales were above 50% of total smartphone sales.

My point isn't slamming Apple or saying Android is better - rather, as a marketer, and I see those stats - I know can't maintain a presence or employee base if sales aren't there to support it.
The Europeans aren't like us Americans. They don't get the same price subsidies from the cell carriers like we do, they are MUCH MUCH more price sensitive than we are, and overall, aren't into technology
like those of us in the US.

post #80 of 86
Quote:

The only problem with that is that there are reports that training groups and people just out of training were laid off. I assume that Apple can read a calendar and realized when the Olympics would end.

It's a rumor - and may well include a wide variety of unrelated factors. For example:
- Olympics ending may have accounted for some layoffs
- Some of the employees may have been incompetent or had bad attitudes and were laid off for that reason
- Lower than anticipated sales growth may have accounted for some
- A new retail strategy could account for some

Let's wait until there are some facts before starting all the "Apple is doomed" crap.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff