or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple "rubber-banding," "pinch-to-zoom" patents challenged by Samsung witnesses

Apple "rubber-banding," "pinch-to-zoom" patents challenged by Samsung witnesses

post #1 of 156
Samsung on Monday mounted its defense in the ongoing Apple v. Samsung patent trial, with the pair of "fact witnesses" giving testimony regarding alleged prior art to Apple's "rubber-banding" and "pinch-to-zoom" patents.

Samsung is attempting to establish prior art to invalidate Apple's '915 "pinch-to-zoom" and '381 "rubber-banding" patents, which the Cupertino-based company claims is being infringed upon by a number of devices made by the South Korean electronics giant.

Monday's testimony included a pair of fact witnesses who were involved in technology similar to Apple's patents, but completed their research before the iPhone maker patented its inventions, reports CNet.

LaunchTile

Taking the stand first was University of Maryland professor and LaunchTile co-creator Ben Bederson, who gave an in-court demo of the UI zooming technology. LaunchTile, a project backed by Microsoft Research, was invented as an alternative smartphone input method which allowed for one-handed operation.

According to Bederson, the technology was released in 2004 to help "people access a lot of information" on mobile devices like the then-popular Palm PDA series of products. LaunchTile and its partner AppLens also aimed to solve issues related to navigation on devices without touchscreens.

As Bederson's demonstration showed, LaunchTile allows a user to navigate 36 on-screen applications with one thumb by zooming in on thumbnail images of mobile apps. The interface zooms in from a 36-app "world view" screen to a so-called "zone view," at which point a user can select from the four tiled on-screen thumbnails to enter "application view." Bederson calls this a "pure zoom" method for selecting a specific application. Simple swipe gestures are also supported by the technology.

With LaunchTile, Samsung sought to invalidate Apple's '381 patent for overscroll bounce, a unique UI feature that alerts a user when the limits of an image or scrollable page are reached. Apple lawyers were quick to point out the differences between Bederson's technology and the '381 patent, including LaunchTile's "snap back" feature not being present when the edges of application tiles are reached.

DiamondTouch

Samsung's second witness was Adam Bogue, creator of Mistubishi Electric Research Laboratories' DiamondTouch display table. The projector-based table is akin to Microsoft's original Surface in that it supports multi-touch gesture inputs to manipulate displayed imagery. Bogue notes the technology was created with collaboration in mind, allowing users to gather around a digital table to discuss ideas.

DiamondTouch's primary gesture was called FractalZoom which used a single touch for scrolling and two fingers for pinch and zoom. Interestingly, Bogue claims he demoed the multitouch tech to Apple hardware engineers in 2003, though the meeting was fruitless. Samsung did, however, submit a number of e-mails Bogue kept concerning the Apple demo as evidence.

Source: bogue12's YouTube channel

While DiamondTouch was presented as a challenge to Apple '915 "pinch-to-zoom" patent, a follow-up technology called TableCloth was also submitted to invalidate the '381 patent. TableCloth, built for Adobe Flash, featured a bounce-back animation for images dragged offscreen. Bogue claims the technology was available for viewing on the company's multitouch-enabled PCs stationed in MERL's lobby.

Apple v. Samsung will return to court on Tuesday with more Samsung witness testimony, while both parties are expected to wrap up arguments next week.
post #2 of 156

"Good artists copy great artists steal" -- SJ

http://youtu.be/CW0DUg63lqU

post #3 of 156
I canT see how these two technologies are brought over to the iOS.
post #4 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post

I canT see how these two technologies are brought over to the iOS.

Maybe you're looking at it wrong?

Anyway: Looks like this may well be a case of... Prior Art = Invalid Patent.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #5 of 156
They're kidding right. I'm sorry but I just don't see it. Is this the best Samsung's lawyers can do?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #6 of 156

Computer says no.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #7 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

That's a Pablo Picasso quote btw.
post #8 of 156

Okay, well first off the Pinch to zoom is clearly nothing like Samsungs LaunchTile.

Second off, Samsung's "DiamondTouch" is the exact opposite of pinch to zoom, in Samsung's system, you use it to change window size, in Apple's you use it to actually make objects appear larger onscreen, without affecting the size of the window.

Both of Samsung's bullshit patents don't cover Apple's tech.

post #9 of 156
All this proves is how horrible mobile interfaces were until Apple arrived on the scene.
post #10 of 156

I cannot see the similarities after watching the video links...

Prior Art is extremely hard to prove when invalidating patents; the patent office does a very good job of researching and discovery before issuing a patent.

post #11 of 156

This will get demolished by Apple.

Is Samsung claiming that these guys were their inspiration? Seriously? Even fandroids -- except DaHarder, of course -- have to be chuckling.

post #12 of 156

First of all, that LaunchTile is the most lame, stupid and poorly devised method for navigating anything that I have ever seen!  That's a clusterbleep of epic proportions.  I think that professor needs to spend more time teaching and less time smoking pot.  Further, I see no correlation with any patent that Apple is asserting.

Secondly, in the DiamondTouch video was a perfect example of wasted R+D money. Oh look, I can circle a word, and then you can circle the word too!  Ooohhh!!! We can circle the word together!  STARS!!! Seriously, is this some kind of kinky computer nerd foreplay?  An exhibit in the Crayola factory tour?  WTF is it?  Oh, and 1991 called and they want their Christmas-themed sweater back.  Again, how is this pinch to zoom? The only thing that was vaguely, almost, not-at-all pinch-to-zoom was resizing a window with two fingers as if you had two mouse pointers. Pinch uses a thumb and forefinger.  Ask the girl in the sweater to tell you about how that's done properly after all that touch lovin.

Thirdly, Samsung... stick out your right hand.. extend your forefinger and thumb. Now place that on your forehead. That's what you are... you may need to find a mirror, and an English translator.

post #13 of 156

The first video seems totally unrelated to anything on any iPhone.  The second seems like they COULD have used that for what Apple did with pinch to zoom, but that didn't ever occur in the video.

post #14 of 156

Good arguments don't misuse this quote. Bad arguments do.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #15 of 156

All this shows is that there are a lot of different gestures for performing actions on a touchscreen.

Unfortunately for Samsung, Apple uses different gestures so I don't see how they will be able to invalidate them.

Yet the Apple haters will go: "See - a touchscreen with gestures - this proves Apple copied".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #16 of 156
Unfortunately for Samsung neither of those videos showed "pinch- to zoom" nor "rubber banding".
post #17 of 156
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they did use the Chewbacca Defense.

One: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/the-chewbacca-defense

And two:

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #18 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

You've been awfully quiet lately, ReTarder.

Was that the result of the exposure of your need-for-negative-attention recently, or just the fact that everything you pretend to stand for has been copping an ass-kicking in court recently?

Enlightened minds would love to know...

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #19 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really, would that be like a fire throwing light onto a wall invalidating any projector patents or film based camera's invalidating any digital camera patents?

You can't patent an idea, only an implementation of an idea, although the ideas are similar in these examples, the implementations are different enough foe Apple to ba awarded patents on there specific method.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #20 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You've been awfully quiet lately, ReTarder.

Was that the result of the exposure of your need-for-negative-attention recently, or just the fact that everything you pretend to stand for has been copping an ass-kicking in court recently?

No name calling. His comment is certainly stupid enough that you don't need to resort to that to make a valid counter-argument.

post #21 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No name calling. His comment is certainly stupid enough that you don't need to resort to that to make a valid counter-argument.

I'm sorry.

I call it as I see it. (>_<)

post #22 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

That's a Pablo Picasso quote btw.

T. S. Eliot actually, regarding poets.

Feel free to provide evidence of where this misquote was actually used by Picasso.
post #23 of 156

I was under the impression that the patent office does not research whether the item being patented is unique, only whether it can be patented under the patent rules.  It is up to the applicant to research whether the thing being patented is truly a unique invention and then if there is a dispute, it is handled in the courts.  If the patent office took responsibility for the validity of a patented item being a unique invention, then these trials would not be needed.

post #24 of 156
Quote:

I'm sorry.

I call it as I see it. (>_<)

Then note that the comment sounds retarded. But don't refer to the poster as retarded. I think you could even call a username as being stupid but to alter it's spelling in a deragoaty way is an attack on the poster and not the post. Now go grind his irrational comments to dust. 1smile.gif

post #25 of 156

Talk about a red herring.  I guess hip boots were handed out to the jurors for all the Bullshit. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #26 of 156

I see them as the same.  Two points are pulled together or apart to make something larger or smaller.  The application may be different, but the gesture is the same.  It think Apple has lost on that one.  The jury is out on rubber-banding...  for me, anyway.

post #27 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they did use the Chewbacca Defense.
One: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/the-chewbacca-defense
And two:
I can't believe you linked to a site that requires Flash. Those are getting hard to find these days.

post #28 of 156

This is their best effort at providing 'evidence' of prior art? Very weak. LaunchTile is painful to even watch. Maybe Samsung should be ordered to use this interface as a punishment.

post #29 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I can't believe you linked to a site that requires Flash. Those are getting hard to find these days.

Unfortunately Comedy Central-based stuff is like that. I think clips, not full episodes, from The Daily Show and Colbert Report are not playable on iDevices. In my defense I did link to an additional video on YouTube.

post #30 of 156
Quote:

Actually...not really.

post #31 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleShare View Post

This is their best effort at providing 'evidence' of prior art? Very weak. LaunchTile is painful to even watch. Maybe Samsung should be ordered to use this interface as a punishment.
Quite good first post. I'm actually here for the humor, so thanks.

"AppleShare"? I guess we can assume you are over 40?

post #32 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Actually...not really.

Actually, I'm quite interested in hearing this.

So, really!

post #33 of 156

If you can't see pinch to zoom in that video, try this one from february 2006:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_han_demos_his_breakthrough_touchscreen.html

2:36 shows one-handed pinch to zoom out, a few seconds later it's a two-handed pull to zoom in.

[sarcasm]Oh, but apple did it on a phone, that's true innovation.[/sarcasm]

post #34 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebrech View Post

2:36 shows one-handed pinch to zoom out, a few seconds later it's a two-handed pull to zoom in.

If you think that the iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone industry on this then you're a bigger fool than your memory makes you out to to be.

Show us some evidence that the iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone industry based on 'pinch-to-zoom' alone.

post #35 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebrech View Post

Let me get this straight. Apple's efforts are invalidated in your mind because the year before Apple releases a full fledged product they spent many years developing and have patents on multitouch capacitance gestures are null and void because they didn't demo an unfinished concept that wasn't part of an actual product first? Makes perfect sense¡
Edited by SolipsismX - 8/13/12 at 10:54pm

post #36 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFiberBlade View Post

Actually, I'm quite interested in hearing this.

So, really!
Sorry to have awoken you from your eight month slumber. As per usual, you can have the last word.

post #37 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleShare View Post

LOL!  I agree!  Sheesh!

post #38 of 156

Apple's '915 Apple's '915 "pinch-to-zoom"

Filed Date: 2007.1.7

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,844,915.PN.&OS=PN/7,844,915&RS=PN/7,844,915

--------------------------------

"pinch-to-zoom" video from Diamond Table
http://youtu.be/JAgbjBOK1bk
(time : 1:27 ~ 1:40)

Video upload date : 2006.4.8

Video record date : 2004. 5

: It looks like a "Game Over" to "pinch-to-zoom" patent

Edited by 845032 - 8/13/12 at 11:21pm
post #39 of 156

On those witnesses and those so called technology known as diamond touch and launchtile....

"LSHMSFOAIDMT

Laughing so hard my sombrero falls off and I drop my taco."

post #40 of 156
Quote:

But in this case, what does your well-known quote say about a corporation that tries to steal but gets caught and doesn't get away with it?  I suppose Samsung is something less than a good artist and much less than a great artist!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple "rubber-banding," "pinch-to-zoom" patents challenged by Samsung witnesses