or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › MPEG releases H.265 draft, promises twice the video quality by 2013

MPEG releases H.265 draft, promises twice the video quality by 2013 - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I didn't know that. However with iCloud and iTunes Match this would seem redundant for music at least. However, I'm not sure how this addresses the original point we made about how cool it would be if there were an iTunes system for an Apple Network that didn't require a dedicated Mac to be running for movies. We were discussing having a hard drive attached to the network, on the AE for example but to date that requires iTunes running on a Mac using that drive as the source of a library.
It was in response to the specific assertion made that one computer could not have ore than one iTunes library open at a time. You can, I have done it, and I told how. Do what you will with the information. In response to your question or topic about a system for delivery of iTunes. It would be cool. Whether or not it will ever be made is another question.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #82 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

It was in response to the specific assertion made that one computer could not have ore than one iTunes library open at a time. You can, I have done it, and I told how. Do what you will with the information. In response to your question or topic about a system for delivery of iTunes. It would be cool. Whether or not it will ever be made is another question.

Ok, cool. Thanks for clarification. I will be trying this soon as I get home!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #83 of 92

Some additional experiments with streaming using:

• OS X Mountain Lion
  • all Apple Apps latest versions
  • latest iMac 27 tricked out
  • Latest AppleTV
  • Latest AirPort Extreme
  • iPad 2 and iPad 3 tricked out
  • iOS 6

ML AirPlay Mirroring to AppleTV

Works With Mirroring

• Quicktime 7
  • Quicktime 10
  • iMovie 11 9.0.7
  • iPhoto 9.3.2 Play Video
  • Final Cut Pro 7.0.1
  • Final Cut Pro X

Does Not Work With Mirroring

• DVD Player 5.6.0
  • iTunes 10.5.4

iPad AirPlay Mirroring to AppleTV

Works With Mirroring

1. Avid Studio
  2. Camera while filming
  3. iMovie

Does Not Work With Mirroring

• Netflix
  • Photos Play Video
  • Videos

This is kind of interesting in that it tells us that iOS 6, OS X ML, the Mac, the iPad 2 and 3 have the ability to stream and mirror video over WiFi.  Many Apple and 3rd-party apps support video mirroring just fine. Surprises are highlighted in blue.

The new h.265 codec may make it practical to:

• stream over a cell connection
  • reduce bandwidth and/or improve quality over a WiFi connection

Apparently, the means (hardware, software, OS Frameworks, codec) exist, today, to stream and mirror over WiFi -- it is up to the developers, to implement the capability in their apps, to permit mirroring during AirPlay streaming.

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/16/12 at 5:59am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #84 of 92
These are my encode settings for 720P under HandBrake and they work very well: Average kbps: 3500 with 2-pass Ref Frames: 5 Max B Frames: 5 CABAC Entropy Encoding: checked 8x8 Transform: checked Weighted P-Frames: checked Pyramidal B-Frames: Strict No DCT Decimation: Unchecked Adaptive B-Frames: Default (fast) Adaptive Direct Mode: Automatic Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon Subpixel ME & Mode Decision: 7-RD in all frames Motion Estimation Range: Default (16) Partition Types: (most( Trellis: Encode Only Debllocking: both default I use this as the template and just adjust the bitrate depending on the frame size. For example, on DVD's I use a 2000 kbps nitrate (I have a 65" HDTV so artifacts and noise are very visible on poor encodes). EDIT: Ugh..ugly that is collapses your text in this way :\
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #85 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

These are my encode settings for 720P under HandBrake and they work very well: Average kbps: 3500 with 2-pass Ref Frames: 5 Max B Frames: 5 CABAC Entropy Encoding: checked 8x8 Transform: checked Weighted P-Frames: checked Pyramidal B-Frames: Strict No DCT Decimation: Unchecked Adaptive B-Frames: Default (fast) Adaptive Direct Mode: Automatic Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon Subpixel ME & Mode Decision: 7-RD in all frames Motion Estimation Range: Default (16) Partition Types: (most( Trellis: Encode Only Debllocking: both default I use this as the template and just adjust the bitrate depending on the frame size. For example, on DVD's I use a 2000 kbps nitrate (I have a 65" HDTV so artifacts and noise are very visible on poor encodes). EDIT: Ugh..ugly that is collapses your text in this way :\

Yeah... it shouldn't mess with the text!

Thanks for the settings -- I'll do some experiments later today!

post #86 of 92

I haven't thought of WebM in months. Whatever became of it? Is it gaining any traction? Do Android phones have WebM hardware acceleration?

post #87 of 92
By the way, those settings are fully compatible with Apple TV (both the older 720P and of course the newer 1080P model).
post #88 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

I haven't thought of WebM in months. Whatever became of it? Is it gaining any traction? Do Android phones have WebM hardware acceleration?

To answer your queries:

Nothing.
No.
Who Cares.
post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

MPEG-LA has been somewhat successful in creating questions whether WebM is infringing on existing IP. They haven't actually given any examples of patents that apply to WebM, but I guess repeating often enough that there are some has slowed adoption. I noted MPEG-LA has made enough veiled threats that they did reportedly get the DOJ's attention last year.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/03/report-doj-looking-into-possible-anti-webm-moves-by-mpeg-la/

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #90 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

MPEG-LA has been somewhat successful in creating questions whether WebM is infringing on existing IP. They haven't actually given any examples of patents that apply to WebM, but I guess repeating often enough that there are some has slowed adoption. I noted MPEG-LA has made enough veiled threats that they did reportedly get the DOJ's attention last year.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/03/report-doj-looking-into-possible-anti-webm-moves-by-mpeg-la/

Love ya tenacity. I am playing with Android Emulator now! Ha Ha. Despite my bias...
post #91 of 92

Even though Apple is involved, I bet VLC releases the first public player implementation.

It was disappointing to see no user-facing changes to Quicktime in Mountain Lion.

[this account has been abandoned]

[this account has been abandoned]

post #92 of 92
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post
It was disappointing to see no user-facing changes to Quicktime in Mountain Lion.

What was there to change?

The only thing about QuickTime in Mountain Lion that I find unacceptable is the RHYTHMIC STUTTERING in the file audio that happens if you rewind anything. You have to quit QuickTime, not just shut that window, and reopen it to fix it.

It's completely inexcusable in a release product.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › MPEG releases H.265 draft, promises twice the video quality by 2013