or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung designer says Galaxy Tab 10.1 design work preceded iPad announcement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung designer says Galaxy Tab 10.1 design work preceded iPad announcement - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I really wish that this whole song and dance can come to a conclusion. It;s getting tiring seeing nothing but 'apple vs samsung' news items cluttering what I really want to see is new product announcement/cool things I want to read about.

And yet, with no gun to your head, you came, presumably read and commented. When you could have just scrolled past that link

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

So now Apple owns the right to make all things thin, curved and flat.  

If that is the design patent they were granted, then yes. Should they have been granted that patent is the very question Samsung is arguing.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, that's indeed what the trolls are pretending to say. It's not really indicative of our feelings as a whole, I don't imagine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a whole here we'd like the industry to follow more than one lantern in the dark for once in its miserable existence. Luckily Microsoft, formerly the greatest lantern thief of all time, has struck their own match and is frantically looking around for a source of kindling before it goes out. We really ought to toss them some firewood. 

I've tossed them Windows based laptops, licenses for MS Office and XBox 360. Hopefully, they get it through their thick skulls that they don't have to screw customers over just to survive, or maintain that f*ck*ng illusion of market share.

I like Apple. But I think customers will be best served if we have many companies that deliver great products without activating their copying machines.

To all contrarians out there, just zip it. Get therapy, take your meds, hire a nanny, get a life, or just get out of here.

Do something productive rather than pretend to spice up everyone's life by being an annoying little b*tch.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

I really wish that this whole song and dance can come to a conclusion. It;s getting tiring seeing nothing but 'apple vs samsung' news items cluttering what I really want to see is new product announcement/cool things I want to read about.

 

Yeah, because if these stories weren't being posted, they'd obviously be replaced with magical product announcement which will then be created out of thin air. Do you think this site, and every other site in the world has missed covering some new Apple product launch? Or, just maybe, there's simply not much else happening at this point in the Apple world besides this trial. That should change in a few weeks. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Samsung seem to lack the understanding that 'biting the hand that feeds' will hurt you more in the long run.
Not just biting Apple though.
Did anyone catch that POS Galaxy Note tablet they released yesterday ?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3243546/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review
How could they expect to sell THAT to the public and expect good customer experience and recommendation, when it
Just doesn't work.

 

Yep, this was a product that has been anticipated for months. Abysmal. It just goes to show how much Samsung REALLY cares about the end user experience.  They somehow managed to choke a 1.4Ghz quadcore cpu with 2GB ram on a tablet running only 1280x800 resolution with their worse than shit touchwiz UI. This thing lags and stutters in the damn lockscreen and swiping homescreens. Unbelievable. The industry as a whole would be better off if Samsung was knocked down a peg  and people realized there are other options in the Android world, including HTC, Asus etc. They're all putting out higher quality stuff than Samsung but simply are not getting any attention. A couple nuggets from reviews I've read:

 

NYT:

 

Quote:

Moreover, Samsung’s software designers must be former Hollywood art directors who fabricated alien spacecraft; Samsung’s apps are festooned with bizarre icons. None of them have identifying text labels, and their logos are frequently so unhelpful they may as well be random Cyrillic letters. Would you guess, for example, that to turn on handwriting recognition, you tap an icon that shows a circle in front of a mountain?

Some of the icons in S Note actually display a different menu every other time you tap them. I’m not making this up.

 

 

Quote:

When you hold it, you realize why right away: it feels plasticky and insubstantial. The plastic of the back panel is so thin, it could be vinyl; you can feel it flex against the circuit board within. The plastic stylus, which slips into a socket on the lower-right corner, is even airier; it’s so cheap-feeling, it could have fallen out of a cereal box.

 

TheVerge:

 

Quote:

All of these additions makes the Note extremely slow, even though it has a ridiculously fast 1.4GHz quad-core Exynos processor and 2GB of RAM. On paper, that’s basically more powerful than any other mainstream mobile device, but the Note is quite laggy in day-to-day use. Just flipping between homescreens can result in some stuttering when you hit a widget-heavy layout, and I even noticed occasional slowdowns when simply swiping the lock screen to open the device. The Note is simply not as smooth or responsive as the Nexus 7, and it’s so far behind the iPad that the comparison doesn’t really seem fair. Add in all the bloop bloop sounds and the whole thing just feels chubby.

 

So basically, performance= shit, Build quality= shit, UI = shit. 

Android fanatics always play the specs card when trashing any Apple product, and we see what specs are worth here. This thing can't even approach the same universe of the iPad in terms of responsiveness, while running at roughly 1/4 the resolution and with better specs, mostly due to Samsung's 'contributions' to Android. Why people root, cheer, and swear by this company that makes it obvious how little they care about what they release is beyond me. (And yes, it actually makes a 'blooping' sound every time you tap the screen. Brilliant.) But hey, I'm sure Samsung gave it their all, just like how they allegedly spent countless sleepless night designing the iOS like touchwiz icons that to this day I believe are some of the ugliest icons I've ever seen on any OS. 


Edited by Slurpy - 8/16/12 at 11:55am
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

So now Apple owns the right to make all things thin, curved and flat.  What a joke!!!!  Based on the biased comments here no other company can ever make a device with those elements.

You forgot the sarcasm tag.

Oh wait, you were serious? We know that you are misrepresenting or distorting the issue to win a straw man argument. Another variation of the "it's just rectangles" argument.

The arguments spew in conflicting directions:
1. Samsung didn't copy Apple because prior art
2. Samsung can copy Apple because they don't own the rectangle
3. Apple owes Samsung for FRAND patents unrelated to this trial
4. Apple patents are invalid because the patent system is broken
5. Apple patents are valid but Apple should be forced to license because it will "stifle innovation"

You lot need to get behind one argument and prove it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #46 of 53

One thing to remember , I was at CTIA in March 2010 and that was just after the Samsung CEO said their tablet was garbage and it had to be redesigned.  When I went to the Samsung booth in 2010, there was the old black tablets that were operational  and this sleek one setting in a glass cube that would not operate... it sure as heck looked like a iPad copy and there was no way that they could have designed that from scratch in the time the CEO said their first attempt was crap.

post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz View Post


The Fandorids are going  to tell us that none of that stuff matter, because it "has a stylus, and that is "innovation".  Yeah, right.  Innovation circa 1995.

But even with all these "features" and all these "specs", it is a piece of garbage.  Ironic that all the Fandroids are pieces of garbage too.  I guess that they like using things that match their personalities.  They make me sick.  If they didn't hate Apple, their would be nothing in their lives.

That's sounds harsh. In any case, not all Android users are trolls, just the ones who troll.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

So now Apple owns the right to make all things thin, curved and flat.

 

Says who?

 

Are you trying to make a very lame joke?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, because if these stories weren't being posted, they'd obviously be replaced with magical product announcement which will then be created out of thin air. Do you think this site, and every other site in the world has missed covering some new Apple product launch? Or, just maybe, there's simply not much else happening at this point in the Apple world besides this trial. That should change in a few weeks. 


Yep, this was a product that has been anticipated for months. Abysmal. It just goes to show how much Samsung REALLY cares about the end user experience.  They somehow managed to choke a 1.4Ghz quadcore cpu with 2GB ram on a tablet running only 1280x800 resolution with their worse than shit touchwiz UI. This thing lags and stutters in the damn lockscreen and swiping homescreens. Unbelievable. The industry as a whole would be better off if Samsung was knocked down a peg  and people realized there are other options in the Android world, including HTC, Asus etc. They're all putting out higher quality stuff than Samsung but simply are not getting any attention. A couple nuggets from reviews I've read:

NYT:




TheVerge:


So basically, performance= shit, Build quality= shit, UI = shit. 
Android fanatics always play the specs card when trashing any Apple product, and we see what specs are worth here. This thing can't even approach the same universe of the iPad in terms of responsiveness, while running at roughly 1/4 the resolution and with better specs, mostly due to Samsung's 'contributions' to Android. Why people root, cheer, and swear by this company that makes it obvious how little they care about what they release is beyond me. (And yes, it actually makes a 'blooping' sound every time you tap the screen. Brilliant.) But hey, I'm sure Samsung gave it their all, just like how they allegedly spent countless sleepless night designing the iOS like touchwiz icons that to this day I believe are some of the ugliest icons I've ever seen on any OS. 

You forgot one important point. The starting price of the Tab 10.1 is $499 - or exactly the same as the iPad 3.

Unless you really need a stylus, there's absolutely no advantage to the Tab 10.1 - and lots of disadvantages. And if you really need a stylus, I believe there are third party options for the iPad.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #50 of 53

Galaxy Tab 10.1 design work preceded iPad announcement ?  is it, Samsung?
I thought Jony Ive gave you the design with the permission of Cook.  Isn't it?  Did Steve know this?

 

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong, I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.” – Jobs

post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post

And there were plenty of other folks "designing" iPads in October 2009. Like Wired's Gadget Lab, or DotGizmo. They had some pretty good renderings by then, too. If Samsung was only just starting in October, they were way behind the curve!

 

 

Yep, if they started THEN, it was BASED on all those lovely renderings AND inevitable "inside" knowledge of Apple's parts & production ramp...

 

The product never went to market because they couldn't successfully come up with something competitive in only 6 months...

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

So now Apple owns the right to make all things thin, curved and flat.  What a joke!!!!  Based on the biased comments here no other company can ever make a device with those elements.

The issue is not a rectangle with rounded corners. If you've been paying attention then you'll see that it is much more than that.

 

The issue is that Samsung took many small elements from both the physical design and the UX. All those little things culminated together to produce something that was alarmingly similar to the iOS devices on the market. Little things that, on their own, wouldn't have worried Apple: Some icons look the same, the charger looks the same, the layout of screen elements is similar (or the same in some circumstances). Put all those little things together and viola!

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You forgot one important point. The starting price of the Tab 10.1 is $499 - or exactly the same as the iPad 3.
Unless you really need a stylus, there's absolutely no advantage to the Tab 10.1 - and lots of disadvantages. And if you really need a stylus, I believe there are third party options for the iPad.

I really wish Samsung stopped making a big deal about the "S-Pen". Its a Wacom Digitizer - its nothing new and nothing special. Support for styluses under Android is pretty damn dire - even worse than the iPad and not even in the same solar system as Wintabs. At least the iPad has a bluetooth pressure sensitive stylus available on the market now and apps like sketchbook pro and artrage can already make use of it.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung designer says Galaxy Tab 10.1 design work preceded iPad announcement