or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits - Page 4

post #121 of 218
It is clear that Tim Cook has made a terrible hire. However, anyone can make mistakes. What is important is how fast Cook moves to fix his mistake. If this guy, who clearly has nothing Apple in his DNA is not gone soon (maybe wait till after the iPhone5 release, because changing retail chiefs before then will be a huge risk) then I have to seriously question Tim Cook's leadership.
post #122 of 218
Run leaner and sacrifice customer service experience lol this guy is a prize tool.

As soon as I heard he ran the Dixons group I knew it was a mistake hiring him. Anyone from the UK knows not to buy anything from their stores. They have rubbish customer service in store, rubbish after care and return policies and they have some of the highest prices around for every product. You will never find a good deal at these stores.

He used this policy at Dixons and look where it got him. Hundreds of stores closed throughout the country because nobody shopped there anymore. The stores look like relics. They are dirty and old and haven't been renovated for years.
post #123 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

It is clear that Tim Cook has made a terrible hire. However, anyone can make mistakes. What is important is how fast Cook moves to fix his mistake. If this guy, who clearly has nothing Apple in his DNA is not gone soon (maybe wait till after the iPhone5 release, because changing retail chiefs before then will be a huge risk) then I have to seriously question Tim Cook's leadership.

I wonder if Cook was the one who brought about the " reversal of a policy "?  I'll bet that was an interesting meeting!

post #124 of 218
How long before Apple's bubble bursts?

Seriously with people like this i dont think it will be too long.

How Apple has change since the death of Jobs
post #125 of 218

Typical new-recruit manager. Just change what's working, try to put your own stamp on what's working, trip everyone up, move in your own people to establish your power position.... AND kill the goose that laid the golden egg. If your report is right, show this guy the door immediately. People like him could destroy Apple and all the great work that Jobs did.

post #126 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Typical new-recruit manager. Just change what's working, try to put your own stamp on what's working, trip everyone up, move in your own people to establish your power position.... AND kill the goose that laid the golden egg. If your report is right, show this guy the door immediately. People like him could destroy Apple and all the great work that Jobs did.

People like him WILL destroy Apple
post #127 of 218
Steve is spinning in his grave!
post #128 of 218
post #129 of 218
Originally Posted by RickK View Post
Steve is spinning in his grave!

 

Nope, he hated optical drives.

 

And Browett is a real frigging laser in Steve's eye, if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #130 of 218
Apple retail store strategy has been brillant and is a major reason its products stand out. Service before, during and after purchase keeps us coming back.

Browett's background is incongruous to a full service retailer like Apple. Being a Londoner as well as living in the US, Dixon is to Curcuit City as Tesco is to CVS/7-11. Both Dixon and Circuit City had a failed retail formula and cut cost to pay rent. Tesco while profitable is a low end grocer that focuses on cutting cost and fooling its customers with 2 for 1 specials.

What do any of this experience have to do with Apple Stores?
post #131 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

It is clear that Tim Cook has made a terrible hire. However, anyone can make mistakes. What is important is how fast Cook moves to fix his mistake. If this guy, who clearly has nothing Apple in his DNA is not gone soon (maybe wait till after the iPhone5 release, because changing retail chiefs before then will be a huge risk) then I have to seriously question Tim Cook's leadership.

I agree that hiring this guy was a mistake by Tim Cook. I think Jobs was the decision-maker in the hiring of Papermaster. Decision-makers sometimes make poor decisions.

That said, I disagree about retaining this guy any longer. Once you recognize a mistake you acknowledge it, correct it -- and move on. This second decision, is even more important than the first.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I think this decision has already been Implemented.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/16/12 at 6:18pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #132 of 218
Is Browett still going to make them take care of those TPS reports? Hey...is that my stapler?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #133 of 218
Steve Jobs is dead. Walt Disney is dead.

John did not know Steve. The people at Disney today didn't know Walt.

Need anything more be said?!?
post #134 of 218
Originally Posted by ronstark View Post
Steve Jobs is dead. Walt Disney is dead.
John did not know Steve. The people at Disney today didn't know Walt.
Need anything more be said?!?

 

What Disney is forcing Pixar to do makes me furious… thanks for bringing that up in my mind again… 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #135 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

More like f**king Thatcher!

 

Oooh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXi-VYy_Yw

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post


Curry's is surely worse than Dixons but lIke you say - differently. PC world is totally horrible, too. I can just see future apple stores using generic floor tiles and standard issue tables. Oh, and all that glass is excessive. Besides, if we hit lower cost locations we can get more stores.

 

Currys and PC World are owned by Dixons Retail.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

 

Nuffink wrong with this... is there???

I am crying over the hire of Browett. Ths move send all the wrong signals.

Woah - been a long time I've seen a Currys without it being a joint Currys/PC World.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What Disney is forcing Pixar to do makes me furious… thanks for bringing that up in my mind again… 

 

If anything, it's Cars 2 and these rumoured sequels to Toy Story/Finding Nemo that's annoying.

post #136 of 218

Wow, is he operating mostly autonomously? Please tell me his superiors didn't know about this.

 

This is BAD PR on top of everything else. Truly the antithesis of Apple standard operating culture… or at least, perception.

 

I mean… a scorched earth hiring policy, slash and burn, as if they are in a painful, loss leader position…  and all for "increased profit margins" which are ALREADY at a very healthy 22%?? 

 

And the stores "need to "learn to 'run leaner' in all areas, even if the customer experience is compromised." SERIOUSLY? "Even if the customer experience is compromised."??

 

If this is accurate reporting, this is a PR and customer service train wreck.

 

If I were Tim Cook, I'd be reprogramming the guy's priorities, or letting him go IMMEDIATELY.

 

 

There's a REASON Apple Stores feel "bloated"… it's because they provide THE BEST SERVICE of any retail establishment (and enjoy the largest sales of ANY retail chain), and they're immensely profitable. 

 

I guess coming from his background, a struggling, barely profitable industry… yeah, it's all he knows. 

 

Really, dude… "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"


Edited by tribalogical - 8/16/12 at 7:39pm
post #137 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetkingdom View Post

Apple retail store strategy has been brillant and is a major reason its products stand out. Service before, during and after purchase keeps us coming back.
Browett's background is incongruous to a full service retailer like Apple. Being a Londoner as well as living in the US, Dixon is to Curcuit City as Tesco is to CVS/7-11. Both Dixon and Circuit City had a failed retail formula and cut cost to pay rent. Tesco while profitable is a low end grocer that focuses on cutting cost and fooling its customers with 2 for 1 specials.
What do any of this experience have to do with Apple Stores?

 

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument)

post #138 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

Boy, do I ever agree with your outrage here. I remember the "bean counter eras" at Apple with Gil Amelio and John Sculley. The company dove into the dirt!

 

Tim Cook, wake up and correct this mistake NOW!

 

Tim Cook is a bean counter. In fact, he is the bean counter extraordinaire. What do you think operations is, anyway? Browett also has a deep operations background. He never showed he cared about customer service in his career. He is a spreadsheet junkie, just like Cook, so that's why Cook hired the guy.

 

Also, as I mentioned when he was hired, he's a Brit. My experience with Brit managers has not been good. There are some very basic communications problems between Americans and Brits that neither side sees till way too late.

 

At the end of the day, this mess is on Cook's responsibility, not Browett. Obviously Cook does not get the importance of customer service either. Those of you saying Jobs would have fired Browett need to understand that Jobs would have never hired him to begin with. Jobs put the best people in each part of the company, for the job they had. For retail he hired an awesome retailer. Cook, instead, hired a copy of himself, but with an English accent. Not a good sign.

post #139 of 218

The only way hiring someone like Browett makes sense is if you want Apple to morph into Samsung. Maybe Cook does want this, after all, he's the one that maximised efficiency in the supply chain; he's a bean counter not a visionary. Browett is just a liability for Apple, and I said so here at the time of Browett's hiring. Nobody from either Dixons or Tesco can conceive of the Apple strategy, they only know "pile crap high and sell it cheap"

 

I worry about Apple - all the Steve Jobs stuff is vanishing fast; the Woz stuff went long before that. Steve placed inflexible hard to achieve targets for product releases, and stuck to them as in the iPhone - Tim Cook seems to have allowed for more 'flexibility' here so the iPhone 5 is already late.

 

Sad. Very sad.

post #140 of 218

"Our retail stores are all about customer service, and John shares that commitment like no one else we've met," Cook said in a statement. "We are thrilled to have him join our team and bring his incredible retail experience to Apple."

 

Well, I guess he was wrong here.

 

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/290451/20120131/john-browett-apple-hired-dixons-ceo-retail.htm

post #141 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What Disney is forcing Pixar to do makes me furious… thanks for bringing that up in my mind again… 


I know this is off topic, but what is bothering you there?

post #142 of 218
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
I know this is off topic, but what is bothering you there?

 

They're being made to make sequels and shorts (to mirror Dreamworks' shorts. You know Dreamworks—the Microsoft to Pixar's Apple…) when the Pixar team doesn't have the proper stories in place like they normally do. Thing about all their stuff before the sequels was that they didn't do it unless they knew they could do it incredibly well. That's definitely Steve rubbing off on them, the true Pixar, from before the purchase.


You can FEEL that Cars 2 didn't have the same heart to it as Cars. You can TELL that Monsters University won't have the same impact as Monsters Inc. 

 

AND IF THAT "FINDING NEMO 2" RUMOR IS TRUE, I SWEAR, DISNEY… What could they possibly do?! He gets lost again?! 

 

Pixar needs to buy their freedom and make their stuff on their own time and with their own docket. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #143 of 218

"How to become an Executive of a leading Retail Chain" :

 

1. Get an MBA

2. Kiss some serious ass

3. Use big words like "lean" and "optimize"

4. Rise to a higher level by firing someone below you

5. When you finally become an executive.............. fire more people use even bigger words, kiss fewer asses, probably just the CEO.

 

Tada!!!!

post #144 of 218
Originally Posted by jay1985 View Post
"How to become an Executive of a leading Retail Chain" :

 

1. Get an MBA

2. Kiss some serious ass

3. Use big words like "lean" and "optimize"

4. Rise to a higher level by firing someone below you

5. When you finally become an executive.............. fire more people use even bigger words, kiss fewer asses, probably just the CEO.

 

Tada!!!!

 

Well, Apple probably feels good about this plan requiring the purchase of their products. 😜

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #145 of 218
Goofy Prick.
Look at that hair.
Looking at that picture makes me want to smack him.
"Even if customer service is affected" what a dueshe bag.
post #146 of 218
First of all, we don't actually know if this jerk said those things. If he did then yes, he deserves to be fired.

Secondly, I've been noticing some dangerous signs that all is not well at Apple after Steve's death. First, they release products that Steve would never have approved. For example, the new Airport Express. The old one perfectly fit its purpose. A traveling wifi router. The new one is bigger, heavier, AND comes with a long attachable cord. Now how in the hell would anyone consider that an improvement over the old? Steve would have forced the new model to have all of the new capabilities but have it come in a smaller and lighter package. In addition, he would have kept the most important feature, the attached wall plug!

Also, look at the horrible string of commercials lately. First, Steve would have NEVER approved of using celebrities in Apple ads. Do you know why? Because he sees his products as the stars of his commercials. Why would he pay someone to upstage it??? But apparently Tim thinks that it's appropriate. Or how about those Olympic ads that had the Genius helping people? Pure utter crap. Again, Tim green lighted it. Does Tim have any taste?

And what about the numerous leaks lately of the products Apple is working on??? How exactly is this doubling down on security Tim?!? Steve would have put his steel boots up the rectum of the person who's leaking this stuff. He would have spared no expense tracking the leak down. Instead the leaks continue unabated.

And now, Tim hires a bozo when Steve was adement about the hiring of B players.

I think Steve made a huge mistake when he told these bozos don't ask what would Steve do? I think he should have ask them to ALWAYS ask what would Steve do as its apparent that they have no taste and are completely devoid of good ideas themselves.

So I don't know about you guys but I'm clearly not feeling confident that Tim will be able to manage Apple for the long term. I think we may have an Apple version of Steve Baller here.

What Tim should do now is rehire Johnson since he's doing poorly at JC Penny. Who knows how long Johnson has left at Penny? By hiring him back you can help him save face.
Edited by JCC - 8/16/12 at 9:13pm
post #147 of 218
While I fully agree that this guy is an idiot, hasn't anybody ever gone into an Apple Store and felt like there wasn't any space to move around because of all the people in blue shirts? Thinking that a vending machine (provided to us in the form of EasyPay) might simplify things?

Of course, the real problem in that case is generally that the store is too small for the crowds. The strategy should be to expedite expansion/replacement stores.

Can I get $3.5MM for my effort? Happy to take it in options...
post #148 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

While I fully agree that this guy is an idiot, hasn't anybody ever gone into an Apple Store and felt like there wasn't any space to move around because of all the people in blue shirts? Thinking that a vending machine (provided to us in the form of EasyPay) might simplify things?
Of course, the real problem in that case is generally that the store is too small for the crowds. The strategy should be to expedite expansion/replacement stores.
Can I get $3.5MM for my effort? Happy to take it in options...

I've certainly felt that stores were overfilled with people but I can't say my lack of comfort was because there were too many people wearing blue shirts.

Even if there are too many employees this is retail and this problem will go away on its own given enough time. On top of that there is the iPhone release coming up, followed by the holidays. But more to the point, 1) this is not the employee's problem for getting the job 2) Apple is so far from hurting that in no way this could be considered a strategic move to keep the company afloat, and 3) as we've seen with today's news even the idea of it has caused more harm than any good it could do for Apple that we're getting a retraction from John "asshat" Browett.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #149 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I CALLED IT. I knew Browett was behind the staff reductions. Tim Cook needs to send this guy packing, immediately.

Cook hired him. Likely knew his philosophies and very possibly approved his ideas.

We have zero proof of the alleged logic behind the experiment. For all we know they didn't lay off anyone but did the typical slow season cutting of hours that every company does, cut some of the slackers, said goodbye to uk seasonals brought on for the Olympics who were told they would likely not be kept on and so forth. And folks are 'leaking' false reports of what was going on and why.

Truth is there was a time when Apple employees were of a much higher quality than recent months. Browetts logic could have been to get back to that and the folks that saw huge cuts were the slackers. Who knows.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #150 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

If Steve was here, he'll cut you like you did with the new employees.

Or, actually knowing the truth about the reasons, Steve might have backed him up. We have no way of knowing since Steve is dead. So how about we show the man some respect and stop name dropping that he agrees or disagrees with whatever you do without any proof.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #151 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfriar View Post

Anyone who has ever worked in Apple retail knows that their staffing has always been lean.  Ive never worked in a place where they are able to get so much productivity out of a small group of very talented people.  If anything they need more.

As a customer I have to disagree. Many times when I've been in one of the stories there's a pack of blue shirts ignoring customers to chat about the ball game, the hottie that just walked by etc. so maybe they could trim off some fat and dump those folks.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #152 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're being made to make sequels and shorts (to mirror Dreamworks' shorts. You know Dreamworks—the Microsoft to Pixar's Apple…) when the Pixar team doesn't have the proper stories in place like they normally do. Thing about all their stuff before the sequels was that they didn't do it unless they knew they could do it incredibly well. That's definitely Steve rubbing off on them, the true Pixar, from before the purchase.


You can FEEL that Cars 2 didn't have the same heart to it as Cars. You can TELL that Monsters University won't have the same impact as Monsters Inc. 

AND IF THAT "FINDING NEMO 2" RUMOR IS TRUE, I SWEAR, DISNEY… What could they possibly do?! He gets lost again?! 

Pixar needs to buy their freedom and make their stuff on their own time and with their own docket. 

To be honest, I feel that the original Cars was one of the poorer efforts by Pixar. It was literally Doc Hollywood in drag. I didn't even bother watching Cars 2.
post #153 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


According to daring fireball some of the comments were all Gary Allen wording personal theories to come off like actual informed quotes.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #154 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

First, Steve would have NEVER approved of using celebrities in Apple ads. Do you know why? Because he sees his products as the stars of his commercials. Why would he pay someone to upstage it??? But apparently Tim thinks that it's appropriate. Or how about those Olympic ads that had the Genius helping people? Pure utter crap. Again, Tim green lighted it. Does Tim have any taste?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzj7STruKgQ&sns=em
post #155 of 218
I'm so sick of hearing "Steve would never have blah blah blah". Have people forgotten it was Steve who recommended the board name Tim Cook CEO? It seems tie Jobs fanboys have forgotten that.
post #156 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

They're being made to make sequels and shorts (to mirror Dreamworks' shorts. You know Dreamworks—the Microsoft to Pixar's Apple…) when the Pixar team doesn't have the proper stories in place like they normally do. Thing about all their stuff before the sequels was that they didn't do it unless they knew they could do it incredibly well. That's definitely Steve rubbing off on them, the true Pixar, from before the purchase.


You can FEEL that Cars 2 didn't have the same heart to it as Cars. You can TELL that Monsters University won't have the same impact as Monsters Inc. 

 

AND IF THAT "FINDING NEMO 2" RUMOR IS TRUE, I SWEAR, DISNEY… What could they possibly do?! He gets lost again?! 

 

Pixar needs to buy their freedom and make their stuff on their own time and with their own docket. 


I can see that. I'm curious how long they'll be able to attract top talent too. Pixar doesn't really pay the highest salaries, nor would such a large outfit operation as much room for individual creative freedom. They're reliant on prestige and cool films to attract some of the best people. I haven't seen Brave yet. Having noted the previews, that chick's hair looked like a truly insane amount of work. I mean just building and controlling it to that level of detail. The rest of it has looked a little bleh. I always found the way they programmed PRman to be remarkably cool.

post #157 of 218
Something to consider further; THE most expensive part of business is people. Some may not agree but when you take in to consideration the many different and distinctive departments that serve staff, ie, HR, insurance admin, payroll, etc. people become very costly. Less is more. To be fair we really don't know why the staffing became bloated. But it is entirely possible that store management became lazy or autocratic or ???

We, as Apple, supporters know better that to denigrate a person's nationality. There is no room in this issue or any other for that. In fact, we know "what" but not "why".

It is entirely possible the reason given is just corporate speak for something much more problematic. In fact, to most of us the idea of "making the stores more profitable by thinning staff" seems thin given Apple's profits and prospects for continued uptick. But it could easily be that as staff gets thick and flabby quality slips. The "that's not my job" mantra becomes a swan song. Seen it and been there.

Steve is gone. Apple must find its own way. Steve left a good work plan tor Tim. It's a sure bet Tim is doing his best. Many changes at Apple are taking place. Focus away from computers to phones, tablets and TV. If the trend continues many Apple stores will be mere kiosks! No genius required. The customer will be his or her own genius.....almost that now!

But ask yourself: what's after that? That is the star to watch. Don't be blinded by the flash bulbs. Look higher, guys!
post #158 of 218

Apparently. billions of dollars bilked from the fans from unbelievable profit margin in consumer electronics / computer hardware products and also those billions stashed overseas are not enough for Apple. 

post #159 of 218

Another greedy ass, with the Walmart plantation mentality. Make profits at the expense of the workers. Apple can do better.

post #160 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Something to consider further; THE most expensive part of business is people. Some may not agree but when you take in to consideration the many different and distinctive departments that serve staff, ie, HR, insurance admin, payroll, etc. people become very costly. Less is more. To be fair we really don't know why the staffing became bloated. But it is entirely possible that store management became lazy or autocratic or ???

We, as Apple, supporters know better that to denigrate a person's nationality. There is no room in this issue or any other for that. In fact, we know "what" but not "why".

It is entirely possible the reason given is just corporate speak for something much more problematic. In fact, to most of us the idea of "making the stores more profitable by thinning staff" seems thin given Apple's profits and prospects for continued uptick. But it could easily be that as staff gets thick and flabby quality slips. The "that's not my job" mantra becomes a swan song. Seen it and been there.

Steve is gone. Apple must find its own way. Steve left a good work plan tor Tim. It's a sure bet Tim is doing his best. Many changes at Apple are taking place. Focus away from computers to phones, tablets and TV. If the trend continues many Apple stores will be mere kiosks! No genius required. The customer will be his or her own genius.....almost that now!

But ask yourself: what's after that? That is the star to watch. Don't be blinded by the flash bulbs. Look higher, guys!

 

Well said!  It's refreshing to see someone reply with a brain-jerk reaction!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits